PDA

View Full Version : Clark's call to play in Denver

fordfixer
09-16-2009, 01:08 AM
On the Steelers: Clark's call to play in Denver
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09259/998255-66.stm

The Steelers have lost one starting safety for a while in Troy Polamalu, and they may lose another for one game.

Ryan Clark has not decided if he will play Nov. 9 in Denver. The last time he played there, he nearly died, and there could be a risk if he returns to exert himself in Denver's high altitude.

"I've taken the test, I've taken the pictures and done all those things, so I guess we'll just cross that bridge when we come to it," Clark said.

Clark knew he had the sickle-cell trait when he traveled with the Steelers to play the Broncos Oct. 21, 2007. He did not know the problems that would cause. The high altitude caused a reaction in his blood that attacked his spleen. Over the course of a few weeks, Clark lost his spleen, gall bladder and more than 30 pounds. He did not play again that season.

"The first speech I got from the doctors in the hospital was that my lungs had filled, my kidneys were dented and my stomach was closing," Clark told the Post-Gazette last year. "My spleen had gotten enlarged and infected and it died."

Clark, though, pulled through and had the best season of his seven years in the NFL last season when he started 17 games, including the postseason. The two games he missed had nothing to do with his sickle cell but with a shoulder injury.

But now Denver and that high altitude loom again, and Clark is uncertain what to do about it.

"We haven't really talked about it too much yet, so we're not at that point," he said this week.

Clark will hold a conference with his doctors and his coaches but the decision will be his. While he cannot lose another spleen and gall bladder, he also does not want to risk something else happening from a similar reaction in his blood. He feels healthy now; missing one game to stay that way might be a good trade-off for him.

"We have a bye week before it," Clark said of the Steelers' Nov. 1 weekend off. "That's when everything will be decided."
Offensive line kudos

Let's hear it for the Steelers' offensive line!

While the debate continues about who and what prevented the Steelers from producing much on the ground in their opener, there is little debate about another important aspect of the line play -- its pass protection.

The coaching staff came away from grading the videotape of that game with one consensus about the pass protection -- it was superb.

"I thought it was solid," coach Mike Tomlin declared yesterday.

"We got hit a couple times in some blitz-game things and some no-huddle things, but, all in all, I thought, from a matchup standpoint, they did a nice job up front."

Ben Roethlisberger was sacked four times, and, if that becomes an average, he would break either a Steelers record with 64 sacks over the course of a 16-game season or some part of his body before he can get that far. But there is other evidence that the pass protection held up well, and at least one sack of minus-19 yards should be discounted because Roethlisberger held on far too long and ran far backward before the Titans got to him.

Here are some numbers the coaches discerned from the video: The combined quarterback hurries/pressures from that game came to 13 for the Titans on 47 pass attempts by Roethlisberger (43 passes plus four sacks). That compares with the Steelers' hurries/pressures of 19 on 36 attempts by Kerry Collins (35 passes plus one sack).

The Chicago Bears are not particularly good at getting to the quarterback. They ranked 29th in the league in sacks per pass play last season when they had only 28 sacks. That compares with the Steelers' 51. And now they've lost linebacker Brian Urlacher.

They did ring up four in their 21-15 opening loss at Green Bay, and Tomlin yesterday made them sound like the 1985 version of the Bears.

"They will pursue the ball relentlessly. They will rush Ben relentlessly. They'll chase. They'll do the things that you can't coach, the detail things."
Tomlin on running game ...

In so many words, Tomlin acknowledged that his running game did not work in the opener. And he will put more emphasis on it in practice this week.

"We've got to get better in that area as a football team. For one reason and one reason only, that increases our chances of winning. That's what we're about, putting ourselves in position to win. We acknowledge that if we continue along those lines from a run-game standpoint that doesn't help us in that regard, so that's why we're focusing on it."

Tomlin said that in his experience defenses key on the run more in the early part of the season to stop it.

"I believe, particularly in September football, people make a commitment to stopping the run, and it's easier to make the commitment in September when everybody feels good and you've got all the horses in the stable.

"I think over the course of the long haul, you see who's good at it week in and week out. It's usually tough sledding early in the football season. That's been my experience. That was my intent when I was a defensive play-caller, that, in order to be a good defense, it starts there -- making people one dimensional, making people struggle if they're committed to running the football."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09259/99 ... z0RF8ivICb (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09259/998255-66.stm#ixzz0RF8ivICb)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Kudos to the offensive line??????

Take this to another forum pal, this forum is for bashing the O line!!!!!

:wink:

BDESteel
09-16-2009, 10:38 AM
we don't need any one player that badly. Clark should think about his health and stay home.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Stay home - it is one game and it is a lifelong health consideration.

Oviedo
09-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Need to get Deshea and Ratliff reps at free safety because we are really thin at safety and there is no guarantee Troy will be back and 100%.

Need to draft a safety very early next year because this problem won't go away.

LasVegasGuy
09-16-2009, 11:49 AM
If Troy is not back by Nov 9th this knee injury is more serious then we are being led to believe.

Ryan needs to sit whether Troy is back or not.

rpmpit
09-16-2009, 11:57 AM
No brainer, Clark sits.

aggiebones
09-16-2009, 12:30 PM
If he plays, I'll lose alot of respect for the Steelers Brass. He should be hogtied in da Burgh.

JTP53609
09-16-2009, 12:53 PM
we will need him more in about 19 weeks than we do to risk his health for the bronco game....

NorthCoast
09-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Mike & Mike chimed in on this subject this morning. Said they admire Clark's toughness but also agreed that if the docs say there is ANY chance of a problem he needs to stay off the plane.

(I think it is not even a question for discussion. Stay home Clark.)

JTP53609
09-17-2009, 12:27 PM
not that it would happen because i expect denver to be pretty bad, but what if we played a playoff game in denver this year, what should he do then, i say dont play there in the reg season but the playoffs, that is a horse of a different color

Shoe
09-17-2009, 09:22 PM
not that it would happen because i expect denver to be pretty bad, but what if we played a playoff game in denver this year, what should he do then, i say dont play there in the reg season but the playoffs, that is a horse of a different color

No, i don't think it is. Sit... that's it.

It would be interesting what people thought though, if say Ben had this condition. I respect Clark as a cog in the machine no doubt (guy is tough as nails, sacrifices his body like no other), but what if it were Ben, a playoff game, and a "very slim" chance of problem arising? I know what I think; I wonder what others do.

pfelix73
09-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Ryan- stay home, bud.

I agree with Oviedo, we need to draft a safety early. I wanted one this year, to be honest.

Let's hope Mundy will come through and give us some good depth there. Townsend too.

:tt1

Shoe
09-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Ryan- stay home, bud.

I agree with Oviedo, we need to draft a safety early. I wanted one this year, to be honest.

Let's hope Mundy will come through and give us some good depth there. Townsend too.

Not me...
Unless there is a hidden Polamalu/Ed Reed type out there, I would much prefer high picks along both sides of the line. D-line is *still* old, and O-line is *still* terrible.

pfelix73
09-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Disagree 100%.

OL is on the way up, and we have some depth at DL.

You get too many in there at any one position and all you're going to do is have alot of them cut to get the roster down.

Whether you agree or not, the OL is set now. Max is signed and is a leader, Kemo is signed, Hartwig is signed, Essex/ Stpaleton is the ? for now, but will work itself out, and Colon is staying put too. We have some depth there with Legursky and if Urbik can pick it up, hopefully he'll provide some depth for us too starting in 2010.

On D we added Ziggy. Look, they couldn't find room for Harris, and he's with Carolina now. We're fine at both OL and DL, IMO.

We have been thin at CB and S. We need to address that.Hopefully, a few of the rookies will step up to go along with 2nd year man Mundy. We're gonna need it.

Personally, I'd be drafting the best damn FB first and foremost, cause we need one.....

RuthlessBurgher
09-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Disagree 100%.

OL is on the way up, and we have some depth at DL.

You get too many in there at any one position and all you're going to do is have alot of them cut to get the roster down.

Whether you agree or not, the OL is set now. Max is signed and is a leader, Kemo is signed, Hartwig is signed, Essex/ Stpaleton is the ? for now, but will work itself out, and Colon is staying put too. We have some depth there with Legursky and if Urbik can pick it up, hopefully he'll provide some depth for us too starting in 2010.

On D we added Ziggy. Look, they couldn't find room for Harris, and he's with Carolina now. We're fine at both OL and DL, IMO.

We have been thin at CB and S. We need to address that.Hopefully, a few of the rookies will step up to go along with 2nd year man Mundy. We're gonna need it.

Personally, I'd be drafting the best damn FB first and foremost, cause we need one.....

Hampton is a free agent after this season, and will likely get more on the open market than we are willing to pay a guy on the back nine of his career. Who is the NT of the future? Chris Hoke is actually older than Hampton. He could possibly hold the fort for a year, but we need a rookie heir apparent early in the draft.

Also, Colon is scheduled to become a free agent as well. If we go into an uncapped year in 2010, he will be restricted instead of unrestricted, meaning that we could possibly keep him for one more year with a tender (like we gave him this season). However, if a new CBA is ratified, then he will most likely be gone and we will need a new RT.

I think our top two picks in the 2010 draft will depend on who we sign between Ryan Clark, Willie Colon, and Casey Hampton.

If we sign Clark, I think we draft an OT and NT (in some order) with our top two picks.

If we sign Colon, I think we draft an NT and FS (in some order) with our top two picks.

If we sign Hampton, I think we draft an OT and FS (in some order) with our top two picks.

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I don't see any need to draft a QB, RB, WR, TE, LB, or CB with our first two picks, so that narrows down the focus to OL, DL, and FS.