PDA

View Full Version : McKelvin's yard vandalized

Djfan
09-15-2009, 11:33 PM
The Bills fans are pissed. The score was burnt or scarred into his yard.

Nice.

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2009, 11:35 PM
I think idiot Steeler fans vandalizing Maddox's yard was the beginning of the end for him here.

Djfan
09-15-2009, 11:46 PM
I think idiot Steeler fans vandalizing Maddox's yard was the beginning of the end for him here.

It thought that the trash on the lawn was proven to be false in Maddox's case.

proudpittsburgher
09-16-2009, 06:53 AM
The Bills fans are pissed. The score was burnt or scarred into his yard.

Nice.

It is classless, but I can understand their anger. The dude single-handidly lost the game for them. Either way, I will never condone such things.

frankthetank1
09-16-2009, 07:17 AM
wow thats messed up. at least it was something creative though. i was talking to a pats fan yesterday and i was saying how the bills should make some changes in the front office and what not and he comes back with "they need to get rid of their owner" i was pretty shocked. this was a person who is in his 40's saying this a guy twice my age. even i know how much ralph wilson has done for the nfl is pretty significant. next to the rooney's, william mara i would say ralph wilson has been one of the best owners in all of sports. sorry i had to vent. i hate stupid people

rpmpit
09-16-2009, 08:02 AM
I can understand the frustration, but come on now. With a legacy of losing four Super Bowls and having O.J. as your greatest player ever...and they're this upset at losing one regular season game?? Totally classless.

proudpittsburgher
09-16-2009, 08:57 AM
I can understand the frustration, but come on now. With a legacy of losing four Super Bowls and having O.J. as your greatest player ever...and they're this upset at losing one regular season game?? Totally classless.

very much classless. I realized after rereading my original post that I came across as condoning it. I wasn't. Doesn't make his decision any better though.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Living in Toronto, I often listen to Buffalo sports radio.

Man....are they pissed. Even more at the fact that Coach Jauron backed him. I assume that the coach backed him because someone forgot to work on details.

The "hands" team was on the field expecting an onside kick. Someone should have gone up to him prior to him going deep and told him that he has no blockers, so if they actually kick it off to him then he should tread cautiously - downing it in the endzone would be ideal.

Obviously no coach told him that and they should share the blame for the fumble. Had the ST coach been a detail freak then McKelvin would have automatically downed it - or slid at the first sign of a tackler.

RuthlessBurgher
09-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Living in Toronto, I often listen to Buffalo sports radio.

Man....are they pissed. Even more at the fact that Coach Jauron backed him. I assume that the coach backed him because someone forgot to work on details.

The "hands" team was on the field expecting an onside kick. Someone should have gone up to him prior to him going deep and told him that he has no blockers, so if they actually kick it off to him then he should tread cautiously - downing it in the endzone would be ideal.

Obviously no coach told him that and they should share the blame for the fumble. Had the ST coach been a detail freak then McKelvin would have automatically downed it - or slid at the first sign of a tackler.

And the announcers were praising former Steelers ST coach and current Bills ST coach Bobby April earlier in the game, saying that where he seems to go, special teams tend to improve. Except in the clutch, I guess.

stlrz d
09-16-2009, 10:18 AM
wow thats messed up. at least it was something creative though. i was talking to a pats fan yesterday and i was saying how the bills should make some changes in the front office and what not and he comes back with "they need to get rid of their owner" i was pretty shocked. this was a person who is in his 40's saying this a guy twice my age. even i know how much ralph wilson has done for the nfl is pretty significant. next to the rooney's, william mara i would say ralph wilson has been one of the best owners in all of sports. sorry i had to vent. i hate stupid people

RB, no comment? :D

RuthlessBurgher
09-16-2009, 10:21 AM

RB, no comment? :D

Ralph Wilson Sucks. But at least he went into the Hall of Fame as a Buffalo Bill. :wink:

Northern_Blitz
09-16-2009, 10:23 AM
I think that McKelvin is getting hit too hard on this one.

McKelvin is an good returner and he tried to make a play, even though he didn't really need to in order to win the game. This is the exact same mistake Hines made last week. In both cases getting down (kneeling and going to the ground) would have given the team a getter chance to win the game. But players are competitive, and they wan to make plays. It's really the same play. The only differences are that we got a chance to win in OT, and the Bills lost to a hated divisional opponent. If guys are going to make mistakes, I'd rather that they be too agressive, than too tentative.

If the Steelers would have lost, can you imagine people vandalizing Hines' place? That's brutal.

Personally, I blame the coaching in both cases. Bills coaches should have told McKelvin to take the knee if he could, we don't have to win this game on the retun, all we need to do is kill the clock. Steeler coaches (or maybe Ben in the huddle) should have made it clear that all we needed was a FG and to go down if you make the catch. In both cases, it should have been emphasized that posession was more important that position. This is maybe more clear in the Bills case because they had ample time before the kickoff to get the message across.

stlrz d
09-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Northern - I hear what you're sayin', but I gotta disagree. Ward was 4 yards from the EZ and fighting to get in for the winning score.

McKelvin's team had a lead and he chose to return that kick instead of taking a knee and giving his team the ball at the 20.

I was shocked when I saw him run it out.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Northern - I hear what you're sayin', but I gotta disagree. Ward was 4 yards from the EZ and fighting to get in for the winning score.

McKelvin's team had a lead and he chose to return that kick instead of taking a knee and giving his team the ball at the 20.

I was shocked when I saw him run it out.

I also disagree. Hines saw daylight and was victimized by a great blindside play by the defender. McKelvin saw the hordes coming and knew that there was no shot at getting beyond a certain point. He allowed the whole gang to get on him from in front of him when he had a chance to drop.

Also - Hines has earned the right to mess up like this due to his body of work. McKelvin is a second year player who has not earned the credit to match up against this.

But, as I said earlier, I blame the coaches who did not tell him that there were no blockers on the field as much as him.

Djfan
09-16-2009, 10:58 AM
He should have not taken it out of the endzone.

papillon
09-16-2009, 11:05 AM
There were 58 other minutes in that game to take care of business. One play doesn't win or lose the game, it's an accumulation of plays or not.

Those fans or whoever did that to his yard are losers.

Pappy

LasVegasGuy
09-16-2009, 11:40 AM
I think that McKelvin is getting hit too hard on this one.

McKelvin is an good returner and he tried to make a play, even though he didn't really need to in order to win the game. This is the exact same mistake Hines made last week. In both cases getting down (kneeling and going to the ground) would have given the team a getter chance to win the game. But players are competitive, and they wan to make plays. It's really the same play. The only differences are that we got a chance to win in OT, and the Bills lost to a hated divisional opponent. If guys are going to make mistakes, I'd rather that they be too agressive, than too tentative.

If the Steelers would have lost, can you imagine people vandalizing Hines' place? That's brutal.

Personally, I blame the coaching in both cases. Bills coaches should have told McKelvin to take the knee if he could, we don't have to win this game on the retun, all we need to do is kill the clock. Steeler coaches (or maybe Ben in the huddle) should have made it clear that all we needed was a FG and to go down if you make the catch. In both cases, it should have been emphasized that posession was more important that position. This is maybe more clear in the Bills case because they had ample time before the kickoff to get the message across.

You can't compare McElvin's gaffe with what happen to Hines. The difference being we weren't winning the game. Hines saw the endzone and was making a play. Guys are not trained to fall down and kick a field goal in the middle of a play.

In McElvins case the Bills were winning and yardage was not a factor. All he should have been asked to do is take a knee in the end zone or if it doesn't make it to the endzone immediately go down at first contact and protect that ball. Then the Bills may or may not have been required to get a first down depending on how many timeouts the Patriots had. If they were forced to punt it would have required the Patriots to have to go 60+ yards as opposed to 30 with no timeouts.

LasVegasGuy
09-16-2009, 11:45 AM
There were 58 other minutes in that game to take care of business. One play doesn't win or lose the game, it's an accumulation of plays or not.

Pappy

That's true but it took the Bills 58 minutes to get into postion they were in to win the game. It was one "bonehead" play that opened up the door for them to lose that game.

Answer me this. Who wins if McElvin takes a knee with under 2:00 in the game? Thank you, I rest my case.

proudpittsburgher
09-16-2009, 11:47 AM
What ever happened to playing the situation? Every situation is different. McKelvin knew what was needed there and he didn't so it. Too often in today's game, everyone wants to be a hero. No one stops and thinks, "OK, if I take it out, and it looks like it isn't there, then go down. There's a rational explanation floating out there that says McKelvin was taking it out so they can get it to the 2 minute warning, so NE has to burn all of their timeouts. That would have been smart. Fine, then why was he fighting for extra yards after he got hit? Just go down. Don't be a hero, son, just do your job, which was not what you ended up doing. Smart players, like the Denver guy who ran extra time off the clock after the long catch against Cincy figured it out on the fly. McKelvin obviously doesn't have that capability, and he had time to think about it. Now, it certainly doesn't warrant having your yard trashed, but it was friggin' stupid.

And I respectfully disagree, Pappy. The Bills played a hell of a game against New England for 54 minutes. They did what they had to do to win, and McKelvin blew it with poor decision making by wanting to be a hero. He gets paid a lot of money to do the right thing in that situation.

Ghost
09-16-2009, 11:51 AM
To me McKelvin made 2 mistakes - first taking it out, although he said he didn't know if he caught the ball outside the line and then stepped back into the end zone - he should know this, but then when he decided to take it out he also decided to fight for an extra, needless yard. Ok, you took it out but when you first got hit you have to cover the ball and take it down, not fight for one damn yard, getting stood up and then stripped. That to me is the more egregious mistake.

PS - the vandalization is LAME. This isn't Ampipe.

rpmpit
09-16-2009, 11:56 AM
To me McKelvin made 2 mistakes - first taking it out, although he said he didn't know if he caught the ball outside the line and then stepped back into the end zone - he should know this, but then when he decided to take it out he also decided to fight for an extra, needless yard. Ok, you took it out but when you first got hit you have to cover the ball and take it down, not fight for one damn yard, getting stood up and then stripped. That to me is the more gregious mistake.

PS - the vandalization is LAME. This isn't Ampipe.

Excellent points and excellent reference!!! Best football movie EVER!!!

papillon
09-16-2009, 11:56 AM

Pappy

That's true but it took the Bills 58 minutes to get into postion they were in to win the game. It was one "bonehead" play that opened up the door for them to lose that game.

Answer me this. Who wins if McElvin takes a knee with under 2:00 in the game? Thank you, I rest my case.

I don't know that scenario didn't play out. They could have fumbled, went three and out, had a punt blocked, snapped it over the punters head, etc. Tom Brady is a pretty good quarterback, he doesn't need much time to score points.

McKelvin made a bad play, but there were other plays that weren't made that could have put that game out of reach. He didn't deserve to have his house trashed.

Pappy

Shoe
09-16-2009, 12:15 PM
If the player shows (for lack of a better word) remorse for his decision, you definitely would want to forgive. In Hines' case, you can (always) see how he feels, and he was very upset at himself. Throw in his body of work, and I can't imagine any Steeler fan holding that play against him (unless you had money on them, which I did... but didn't care)

In McKelvin's case... I'm not there in Buffalo... but I heard how he said, if given the same situation 100 times, he'd take it out.

:wft

That kind of stupid, remorseless, thoughtless attitude is so irritating. And thoughtless. It's amazingly thoughtless to his own teammates. What he's saying is, the other 46 guys who have fought their a$s off and on the brink of earning a huge season changing upset of New England*, can take a backseat to McKelvin's personal whims.

The clearly best option is to take the knee, especially if magically given the chance to do it over again. But immature McKelvin thinks otherwise. Just no thought behind his actions.

LasVegasGuy
09-16-2009, 01:30 PM

Pappy

I don't know that scenario didn't play out. They could have fumbled, went three and out, had a punt blocked, snapped it over the punters head, etc. Tom Brady is a pretty good quarterback, he doesn't need much time to score points.

McKelvin made a bad play, but there were other plays that weren't made that could have put that game out of reach. He didn't deserve to have his house trashed.

Pappy

Then we are back to what everyone has been saying before you said they had 58 minutes to take care of business. One play would be the difference between winning or losing if they fumbled, had the punt blocked or snapped it over the punters head.

I agree the yard trashing is elementary and should not have happen.

Northern_Blitz
09-16-2009, 02:33 PM
If the player shows (for lack of a better word) remorse for his decision, you definitely would want to forgive. In Hines' case, you can (always) see how he feels, and he was very upset at himself. Throw in his body of work, and I can't imagine any Steeler fan holding that play against him (unless you had money on them, which I did... but didn't care)

In McKelvin's case... I'm not there in Buffalo... but I heard how he said, if given the same situation 100 times, he'd take it out.

:wft

That kind of stupid, remorseless, thoughtless attitude is so irritating. And thoughtless. It's amazingly thoughtless to his own teammates. What he's saying is, the other 46 guys who have fought their a$s off and on the brink of earning a huge season changing upset of New England*, can take a backseat to McKelvin's personal whims.

The clearly best option is to take the knee, especially if magically given the chance to do it over again. But immature McKelvin thinks otherwise. Just no thought behind his actions.

Didin't Hines say that he didn't think what he did was a mistake?

"I should have just got down, but I don't fault myself for trying to get in. If that guy wasn't there, I walk in (to the end zone), but he just made a great play on the ball."

If the reporter only quotes:

"I don't fault myself for trying to get in. If that guy wasn't there, I walk in (to the end zone), but he just made a great play on the ball."

is Hines stupid remorseless and thoughtless? He was upset that he fumbled, but doesn't think that his decission to go for it was wrong. Maybe McKelvin feels the same way, but hasn't been dealing with media long enough to say it as well as Hines.

Reporters take stuff out of context all the time.

The kid screwed up, but I think the onus falls at least as much on the coaches (as I said already).

Shoe
09-16-2009, 02:38 PM

I generally disagree with this argument, especially in this case.

All you can do as a player, is make the best play you can at that time. True, the final outcome is the accumulation of plays. But knowing the game situation, and thus acting (i.e. altering your decision-making) based on that game situation, is absolutely crucial.

Like any other game, football is a game of incomplete information. You can't know everything... but, if you do know something (i.e. score coupled with time remaining), you are a stupid moron for not acting on it.

And the apparent fact that he (McKelvin) refuses to acknowledge it makes him an even stupider, selfisher :oops: person than he's proven himself to be.

JTP53609
09-16-2009, 03:56 PM
its a shame to think that if he did not fumble the ball it would of been a real nice heads up play to get the clock under 2:00, but because he was fighting for a half yard more he fumbled the ball and he was the goat.....nobody deserves to get their yard screwed over, its not like he is in cleveland

Steeler Mafia
09-16-2009, 05:42 PM
You cannot fault a player for trying to make a play. That is what they are paid to do. I believe that in this situation, the coaches are at fault for not communicating the game time situation to the players. Yes, maybe McKelvin should have known the situation on his own, but the end result is that the coaches are responsible for game strategy and they should have consulted the players on what needs to be done to put them in position to obtain the win.

Because this was not done, the coaches handed the Cheats the 'W'.

RuthlessBurgher
09-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Teens admit to defacing McKelvin's lawn
Associated Press

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Two 16-year-old males have admitted to defacing the lawn in front of the home of Buffalo Bills cornerback Leodis McKelvin.

Hamburg police Sgt. Thomas Best said Wednesday the two teens have admitted to spray-painting a message and an obscenity on the player's lawn shortly after the Bills' season-opening 25-24 loss at New England on Monday night.

Best said it'll be up to the Erie County district attorney's office to determine whether to take action against the suspects because McKelvin has refused to have them charged. Best declined to release the names of the two teens because of their age but noted they both live near McKelvin's home in suburban Buffalo.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press