PDA

View Full Version : I'm probably just seeing things

Chachi
09-15-2009, 10:22 AM
But I thought I noticed after our eek of a win against the Titans, the national press we got was, for the most part, negative. Sure Ben got some props on the comeback, but, overall, the vibe I got from all the articles was, "The Steelers are in trouble, not as good as folks think."

Now, granted, there was some people out there stating the obvious, "The Titans are a good team that whipped the Steelers last year. This having been a close game makes sense. Good teams win close games."

Well, The Best Team In The World**, BARELY.....BARELY beat the lowly Bills.

The Next Best Team In The World*** BARELY beat the lowly Raiders.

I'm not seeing the negativity towards those teams as I saw in reaction to our win.

Again, I am probably just seeing things, but, am I the only one?

Jooser
09-15-2009, 10:43 AM
No, I get that vibe too Chachi. We scored a great win against what is arguably the second best team in football (behind us of course :) ). The Pats were lucky as HELL to pull that one out last night. Their defense looked like crap against a very, very anemic Bills offense. I don't know, the media roots against us, but I think they are going to be disappointed at the end of the year, when we charge into the playoffs again. :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Well, I think the negativity on this board after our opening win overwhelmingly trumps any negative press we get from the national media. According to several posters on this board, heads must roll because of an opening night win against a team that was 13-3 last year.

It is interesting that we are tied at 1-0 with our primary in-division rival from Baltimore as well as the projected favorites in the other AFC divisions from New England, Indy, and San Diego, and each of us had an eye-opening squeaker game in week one.

However, our sqeaker was against another playoff contender. I'll take an overtime win over a strong team like Tennessee any day. That may be our toughest opponent all year. We also get the extra added bonus of a potential playoff tiebreaker against them.

New England beat the 7-9 Bills 25-24 (in Foxboro!) on a miracle finish following a moronic fumble.

San Diego beat the 5-11 Raiders 24-20 on a TD with 18 seconds to go.

Indianapolis beat the 5-11 Jaguars 14-12 (in Indy!) after a 2 point conversion by Jacksonville in the 4th quarter failed.

Baltimore beat the 2-14 Chiefs 38-24 (in Baltimore!) in a game that was tied with just over 2 minutes left in the game.

Each of those teams should be thanking their lucky stars that they were able to squeak out wins against teams that they should have blown out. Our game on the other hand was expected to a hard fought close battle, and that is exactly what it was.

Jooser
09-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Ruthless is exactly right. I left the chat room early last game because the negatives were harshing my mellow, although I do admit we have our flaws. But, despite those flaws, we beat a very good team. NE, Baltimore, SD, Indy on the other hand? Well, IMO, they didn't do too well and I think we'll hand it to any of them. Especially with Troy coming back later in the year. Hang in there Planet Steelers, because Lombardi's come from trial by fire, and we were closest to the coals this past weekend and came away the winners! :tt2

SteelBucks
09-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Well, I think the negativity on this board after our opening win overwhelmingly trumps any negative press we get from the national media. According to several posters on this board, heads must roll because of an opening night win against a team that was 13-3 last year.

It is interesting that we are tied at 1-0 with our primary in-division rival from Baltimore as well as the projected favorites in the other AFC divisions from New England, Indy, and San Diego, and each of us had an eye-opening squeaker game in week one.

However, our sqeaker was against another playoff contender. I'll take an overtime win over a strong team like Tennessee any day. That may be our toughest opponent all year. We also get the extra added bonus of a potential playoff tiebreaker against them.

New England beat the 7-9 Bills 25-24 (in Foxboro!) on a miracle finish following a moronic fumble.

San Diego beat the 5-11 Raiders 24-20 on a TD with 18 seconds to go.

Indianapolis beat the 5-11 Jaguars 14-12 (in Indy!) after a 2 point conversion by Jacksonville in the 4th quarter failed.

Baltimore beat the 2-14 Chiefs 38-24 (in Baltimore!) in a game that was tied with just over 2 minutes left in the game.

Each of those teams should be thanking their lucky stars that they were able to squeak out wins against teams that they should have blown out. Our game on the other hand was expected to a hard fought close battle, and that is exactly what it was.

Imagine the negativity on the board when/if we lose. :shock:

I was happy with the way the Steelers played minus the running game. Ben looked good after the 1st quarter, the defense was solid, and the special teams made some nice plays. Overall, week 1 was a success.

MeetJoeGreene
09-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Some projected national media excuses:

Brady was rusty.

Merriman was rusty.

MeetJoeGreene
09-15-2009, 11:21 AM
The other thing that ticked me off was the focus on other team's injuries and how it will impact them. There was a big segment on a sports talk radio show this morning (forget which one) and they were talking about the impact of losing Urlicker on the Bears. vs the Steelers. I kept wait for them to mention the fact that we lost Troy... but NOOO!!!!

Chachi
09-15-2009, 12:10 PM
We are the Rodney Dangerfield of the NFL.

[youtube:aco7aq90]FLGxWPtgodo[/youtube:aco7aq90]

costanza2k1
09-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Brady throws a gazillion times and has no running game but they will win the championship this year.

Ben throws a gazillion times and has no running game but they won't even come close to repeating.

WTF?

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2009, 12:13 PM
The other thing that ticked me off was the focus on other team's injuries and how it will impact them. There was a big segment on a sports talk radio show this morning (forget which one) and they were talking about the impact of losing Urlicker on the Bears. vs the Steelers. I kept wait for them to mention the fact that we lost Troy... but NOOO!!!!

That's because no one in their right mind would expect our defense to suddenly collapse just because one guy is hurt (even if it is the most dynamic safety on the planet). Guys like Harrison, Woodley, Farrior, Aaron Smith, etc. will step it up, putting pressure on Cutler, hopefully forcing him into another multi-INT game even without Troy back there.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-15-2009, 12:22 PM
I probably come on here and sound negative towards the Steelers because I complain about Bruce Arians, Willie Parker, and the running game.....I guess I should probably do just as much spouting off about how awesome I think our defense, head coach, wideouts, tight end, QB, special teams are....which I do think they are awesome. I think we have a damn good shot at repeating and with how young the core of our team is, we could be in the SB hunt for many years to come.

SteelerNation1
09-15-2009, 12:23 PM

Brady was a rusty trumbone.

Merriman was rusty from steroid usage and beating the snot out of Tila Tequila.

Fixed!

MeetJoeGreene
09-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Brady throws a gazillion times and has no running game but they will win the championship this year.

Ben throws a gazillion times and has no running game but they won't even come close to repeating.

WTF?

That, my friend, is called logic!!!

papillon
09-15-2009, 09:47 PM
But I thought I noticed after our eek of a win against the Titans, the national press we got was, for the most part, negative. Sure Ben got some props on the comeback, but, overall, the vibe I got from all the articles was, "The Steelers are in trouble, not as good as folks think."

Now, granted, there was some people out there stating the obvious, "The Titans are a good team that whipped the Steelers last year. This having been a close game makes sense. Good teams win close games."

Well, The Best Team In The World**, BARELY.....BARELY beat the lowly Bills.

The Next Best Team In The World*** BARELY beat the lowly Raiders.

I'm not seeing the negativity towards those teams as I saw in reaction to our win.

Again, I am probably just seeing things, but, am I the only one?

Their quarterbacks are the media darlings and can do no wrong. The Patriots were losing because of everyone except Tom Brady and then won the game, because of Tom Brady and no one else. Don't you know how the media works? :P

Pappy

AngryAsian
09-15-2009, 10:10 PM

Fixed!

"Rusty Trombone"... dude, that's just nasty. Next you'll say Brady gets a "Tony Danza" from Merriman. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iron Shiek
09-15-2009, 10:51 PM

Fixed!

"Rusty Trombone"... dude, that's just nasty. Next you'll say Brady gets a "Tony Danza" from Merriman. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hahaha....Who's the Boss B!t*h!!!!

AngryAsian
09-15-2009, 11:12 PM

Fixed!

Hahaha....Who's the Boss B!t*h!!!!

The guy who sent me that revolting list runs our football pool at work (Cowgirl enthusiast) and unfortunately my wife saw it. She says "What degenerate sent you that?" My retort "A cowboy fan." No other explanation needed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Shouldn't bother us.
All that matters...Is in the very least...We "Barely" win #7!!!

JTP53609
09-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Well we usually do take a back seat for some reason, I never know why, I guess for doing things the right way...
the cowboys and patsies get all the love from fox, cbs and bspn for some reason, i guess if you sign pacman jones, tank johnson and have former drug addicts on your team than you get respect, same with cheating, i guess that is the cool thing to do, so you automatically get respect for that too.
The fact that the bills played the patriots on monday was hillarious, because there was no mention of the bills whatsoever, even when they were up by 11 the talk was patriots, patriots, patriots.....ewww gross