PDA

View Full Version : LB Timmons looks to return for Steelers

fordfixer
09-15-2009, 02:29 AM
LB Timmons looks to return for Steelers

By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 43125.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_643125.html)

Lawrence Timmons didn't practice Monday, but the starting inside linebacker is hopeful he will be able to suit up Sunday, when the Steelers visit the Chicago Bears for a 4:15 p.m. game. Timmons didn't play last Thursday against the Tennessee Titans because of a sprained left ankle.

"Just taking it day by day," Timmons said.

He said he doesn't know if he will practice Wednesday.

The Steelers don't practice today during the season when they have a game Sunday.

Timmons had hoped to make his first start at right inside linebacker last week. Keyaron Fox played in place of him and recorded a team-high 10 tackles while also recovering a fumble.

"That hurt," Timmons said of missing the opener, "but there's not much I could do about it."

Heath Miller led all NFL tight ends with eight receptions heading into last night, and while appreciative of the opportunities in the passing game, Miller said he doesn't want them to come at the expense of the running game.

"It's nice to be able to contribute, but at the same time, we know we're a better offense if some of those pass attempts are hand-offs to Willie (Parker) or Rashard (Mendenhall)," Miller said. "We've really to get on track this week."

The eight catches Miller had in a 13-10 overtime win over Tennessee tied his career high in that category. The fifth-year veteran helped quarterback Ben Roethlisberger throw for 363 yards the third-highest total in his career.

"We're going to go with what's working, but we'd really like to get that running game going," Miller said. "You're not going to go through a year and win football games if you can't run the football."

The Steelers managed just 36 rushing yards against the Titans.

Wide receiver Hines Ward may have coined a new phrase when he talked about his lost fumble late in the fourth quarter against the Titans. Tennessee safety Michael Griffin knocked the ball loose while tackling Ward from behind just short of the end zone.

"He Donkey Konged it out," Ward said in reference to the video game. "He hammered it."

After watching the play during a film review, Ward said, "It's a learning experience not only for me, but other guys as well, in case we ever get in that situation again. I should have just got down, but I don't fault myself for trying to get in. If that guy wasn't there, I walk in (to the end zone), but he just made a great play on the ball."

Troy Polamalu and boastful appear in the same sentence about as often as coach Mike Tomlin and bad hair day. Naturally, the Steelers' strong safety shrugged off the one-handed, first-quarter interception he made against the Titans.

"Lucky things happen, you know," he said. "Sometimes, things just fall in your lap."

Polamalu left the game in the second quarter with a sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee and didn't return.

The Steelers win over the Titans will be replayed on NFL Network at 9:30 tonight. It will be shortened to a 90-minute version.

DIGITS

76 Rushing yards the Bears, whom the Steelers play this week, yielded to the Packers last Sunday night.

7:50 The edge the Steelers had in time of possession against the Titans, even though they weren't able to establish a running game.

NorthCoast
09-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Interesting footnotes. Who said you need to be able to run the ball to play ball control football? Seven minute advantage is damn good for a team that did squat running. Miller was the key....we need to keep getting him the ball.

Oviedo
09-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Interesting footnotes. Who said you need to be able to run the ball to play ball control football? Seven minute advantage is damn good for a team that did squat running. Miller was the key....we need to keep getting him the ball.

You can control the clock with a short passing game as much as a run game and IMO wear out a defense even more. Tough for LBs to be chasing TEs all day long. The Pats have been doing all decade long. The running game is never their first choice.

Reference Timmons--I don't want him back until 100%. A high ankle sprain could linger all season if he rushes back. I doubt he is anywhere near 100%.

Shoe
09-15-2009, 05:09 PM

You can control the clock with a short passing game as much as a run game and IMO wear out a defense even more. Tough for LBs to be chasing TEs all day long. The Pats have been doing all decade long. The running game is never their first choice.

Reference Timmons--I don't want him back until 100%. A high ankle sprain could linger all season if he rushes back. I doubt he is anywhere near 100%.

He did get 3 extra days (it being a Thursday game) to rest.
I think we should try and get one more week of rest for him... Ideally, you want his sideline-to-sideline range to minimize Troy's absence. But I think we can do without for one week. Then, get a rested Timmons in there for Week 3. Remember, Fox is no chop liver.

DukieBoy
09-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Absolutely want Timmons 100% for the in-division vs the Bungles and the in-conference game vs the Chargers (wish we could have Troy at 100% for that game as well.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-15-2009, 08:19 PM

Any talk of NEEDING a run game is hogwash. Pats leading rusher yesterday had 32 yards on the day. In the playoffs a RB rarely has a good day because all the defenses you face in the playoffs are typically top of the line. Parker ran on SD last year in our matchup in the playoffs, but we saw last night that the freaking Raiders rushed for 4.6 yards per attempt on the Chargers. They aren't exactly stout against the run anymore. They went for 148 rushing yards against them.

NorthCoast
09-15-2009, 08:34 PM
There is one huge drawback to abandoning the run game and that is exposing Ben to a lot more hits. He ain't no Brady dumping balls off on the first sniff of a rush so he probably takes twice as many hits. A couple more hits like the one Kearse laid will put Ben on the bench with a major injury.
Just sayin it's Ben style of playing.

papillon
09-15-2009, 09:32 PM

Any talk of NEEDING a run game is hogwash. Pats leading rusher yesterday had 32 yards on the day. In the playoffs a RB rarely has a good day because all the defenses you face in the playoffs are typically top of the line. Parker ran on SD last year in our matchup in the playoffs, but we saw last night that the freaking Raiders rushed for 4.6 yards per attempt on the Chargers. They aren't exactly stout against the run anymore. They went for 148 rushing yards against them.

The Raiders o-line is pretty good and so is Darren Mcfadden...just sayin

Pappy