PDA

View Full Version : Interesting...Wilfork first victim of Brady rule

stlrz d
09-14-2009, 08:52 PM
He just tackled Edwards around the waist but was called for going low.

Not a fan of Wilfork's, but that was a bad, bad call.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Yes, but wasn't it Wilfork who one time went very low on a Bills QB causing injury?

Karmic retribution?

Starlifter
09-14-2009, 10:49 PM
maybe it was me but the whistle was blowing for like 2 seconds and then he threw down trent edwards. the hit wasn't particularly vicious, but clearly after the whistle. i'm not a fan of the rule, but they probably called it right.

stlrz d
09-14-2009, 10:57 PM
I dunno...the rule is about going low and he didn't go low. Also, I saw him wrapping up Edwards just as he was throwing the ball.

Like I said, I'm no fan of Wilfork but it was a bad call. I expect many of these "protection" rules will lead to bad calls.

Mel Blount's G
09-14-2009, 11:29 PM
I expect many of these "protection" rules will lead to bad calls.
More than you can imagine. It will dictate the outcome of some games imo. Players often make hits or get sacks on qb's as they are falling down or being pushed/blocked. These will be penalties. There are numerous other reasons why a defensive player leaves his feet while rushing a qb. Penalties. I can only hope that the few intelligent refs remember the ol' "spirit of the rule" idea on this. But that is too much to ask. If it's low, penalty. Period.

I hope this other professional league that I've heard is being started stays truer to the orginal game because at the rate te NFL is implementing these "pansy" changes, It may become hard for me to watch

Mister Pittsburgh
09-14-2009, 11:37 PM
I thought he did go low when he didn't need to. It appeared to me the brunt of his weight hit Edwards in the thigh/knee area cause he dove but came up shorter than he wanted. :2c

jj28west
09-15-2009, 05:51 AM
In this century there is no professional team that I hate more than the Pats*. Having said that the calls on Wilfork and Adelius Thomas (SP) were very questionable IMO.

I know Lamar and James have had takedowns like Thomas's in the past and thankfully not called for it. The MNF game with Washington's Cambell and the playoff game with Rivers could have then been flagged based on the new rule interpretation.

frankthetank1
09-15-2009, 07:42 AM
In this century there is no professional team that I hate more than the Pats*. Having said that the calls on Wilfork and Adelius Thomas (SP) were very questionable IMO.

I know Lamar and James have had takedowns like Thomas's in the past and thankfully not called for it. The MNF game with Washington's Cambell and the playoff game with Rivers could have then been flagged based on the new rule interpretation.

the call on willfork was bad. i thought both of woodley's take downs you are talking about werent as late as thomas's. is that kind of take down illegal now no matter how late it happens? if so thats bs