PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisbledsoe???

SteelCrazy
09-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Writer for the Sun Chronicle names BB, Roethlisbledsoe...has anyone heard this before or is it just a typo?? I highly doubt it was a typo, so what does he mean???

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/articles ... 637625.txt (http://www.thesunchronicle.com/articles/2009/09/14/sports/5637625.txt)

Each year at this time, I engage in an exercise of total futility.

I attempt to pick the entire NFL schedule, game by game, to come out with my projected final standings and playoff matchups. It's almost worthless to do, because as we all learned with 71/2 minutes gone in the first quarter of the Patriots' first game last year, anything can happen to screw up even the most astute prognostication.

As it was, the loss of Tom Brady made me fall only slightly short of my predicted outcome for the Patriots. I said 12-4, they finished 11-5 - but out of the playoffs because I underestimated Miami. So it was that I totally miscalculated on teams like Baltimore and Tennessee in the AFC, and Atlanta and Arizona in the NFC. It's impossible to foresee trends that cause a season to shift like beach sand after a storm tide.

But I do this anyway, because it fills space. So, without further ado, here's how I see the 2009 season as it begins in earnest (and yes, I did pick Pittsburgh over Tennessee by three points in the opener ...):

AFC EAST: New England 12-4, N.Y. Jets 8-8, Miami 8-8, Buffalo 5-11.
I've already expressed my concerns about the Patriots' depth, but if all goes well, 12-4 is legit. Unfortunately, there are several other good teams in the AFC and the Patriots seem to be playing them, so their playoff seeding won't be good because of the conference losses. Miami's gimmickry has been seen by everyone now, so the Dolphins will have to win games legitimately. Rex Ryan's bluster may coax .500 out of a rookie quarterback, and I can't wait until T.O. realizes that it snows and the wind blows like hell in Buffalo starting in October.

AFC NORTH: Baltimore 13-3, Pittsburgh 13-3, Cincinnati 8-8, Cleveland 3-13.

The Ravens seem to have one of the easiest schedules in the league, but their defense will carry in games that will make a difference in the tiebreaker. Troy Polamalu's injury will wound the Steeler defense and they need to crank up a running game to help out Ben Roethlisbledsoe, but they'll fatten themselves against the other schmoes in the division and get stronger as the season progresses. Expect some improvement in Cincy, none in Cleveland under Eric Mangini.

AFC SOUTH: Indianapolis 12-4, Tennessee 11-5, Houston 8-8, Jacksonville 7-9.

Despite considerable turnover on offense, I still think Peyton Manning has it in him to lift the Colts above their limitations. But Tennessee will be nipping at their heels all season long, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Titans/Oilers (remember those AFL 50th-anniversary rules, they're the Oilers in four games) reverse places with the Colts. Everyone continues to wait for the Texans to become the "surprise" team in the league, but I'll be surprised if they finish above .500. Jags are stepping back.

AFC WEST: San Diego 12-4, Denver 7-9, Kansas City 4-12, Oakland 2-14.

The Chargers should be OK as long as they enforce a 9 p.m. curfew on Shawne Merriman and have frequent bedchecks for single occupancy. The 12-4 record is also the result of feasting upon what may be the worst division in football. Matt Cassel will be exposed (if not killed) in Kansas City because he has no talent around him to bail him out. And if you wonder why it looks as if Richard Seymour would rather die than play for the Raiders, please try to explain to me how they will win more than two games - if that many.

NFC EAST: Dallas 13-3, N.Y. Giants 13-3, Philadelphia 12-4, Washington 8-8.

The Cowboys will lower those scoreboards when nobody's looking, so opposing passers will see their deep throws bouncing off the video screen while Jerry Jones puts on an angelic smile and says, "Gosh, I just don't know how that could be happening." Seriously, Dallas wins on a tiebreaker, but the Giants and Eagles will be in the thick of it throughout - and it will be interesting to see if Andy Reid has the courage to do something positive with Michael Vick when Donovan McNabb starts to sputter. Redskins got almost all of their wins in my mock season in non-conference play.

NFC NORTH: Green Bay 11-5, Chicago 8-8, Minnesota 8-8, Detroit 3-13.
This is almost by default; I think Chicago forfeited its rights to a championship the day they got Jay Cutler. The Brett Favre thing in Minnesota will play itself out as it always does - big early splash, he gets worn down and then starts making stupid mistakes and blaming them on injuries, age or indecision over what washing machine to buy at Sears. I say Detroit wins the opener, but for the rest of the season, Motor City fans will be throwing their cash at a clunker.

NFC SOUTH: Atlanta 11-5, New Orleans 5-11, Tampa Bay 4-12, Carolina 2-14.

Some pundits are touting the Saints as the team to beat in this division, but I just don't see it. Can't see how the progress of the Falcons under Matt Ryan is going to be sidetracked by anyone in this woeful division. At least the Bucs will be gracious "hosts" to the Patriots in London. The Panthers could be in the worst shape of all because of a front-office power struggle that is likely to spill over to the field as a major distraction.

NFC WEST: Seattle 9-7, Arizona 9-7, San Francisco 4-12, St. Louis 3-13.

Yes, the Seahawks were awful last year. But word out of the Rainy City is that Matt Hasselbeck is on a mission - not just to get people to pronounce his name correctly (it's not "hassle-back"), but also to win one before it slips away from him for good. The Cardinals will come back down to earth (really, do you think the Patriots would have struggled with them in last year's Super Bowl?) and get shut out of the playoffs entirely on tiebreakers, and the Niners and Rams are just plain awful.

AFC PLAYOFF SEEDING: Baltimore, Indianapolis, San Diego, New England, Pittsburgh, Tennessee.

AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME: Sorry, folks. Baltimore over San Diego.

NFC PLAYOFF SEEDING: Dallas, Green Bay, Atlanta, Seattle, New York Giants, Philadelphia.

NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME: Dallas over the Giants.

SUPER BOWL XLIV: Talk to me in February.

MARK FARINELLA may be reached at 508-236-0315 or via e-mail at mfarinel@thesunchronicle.com

phillyesq
09-14-2009, 12:27 PM
I've never heard it before, and I can't even imagine the origins. The two had completely different playing styles, and their career trajectory is not at all similar.

RuthlessBurgher
09-14-2009, 12:29 PM
They were both tall QB's. Outside of that, I got nothing.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-14-2009, 12:58 PM
It is a New England publication and you are looking for sense??? :shock:

papillon
09-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Just another hater, nothing to see here.

Pappy

RKSteel
09-14-2009, 01:24 PM
I think he might be referring to when Bledsoe played for the Parcell Patriots and threw the ball 50+ times against the Vikings. As I recall everyone was shocked that a Parcells team would throw the ball that much. Parcells replied to the effect, when you do not have a running game, play to your strengths.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Rothlismarsha would make more sense, since they both got their big break as backups when the starter got injured.

:wft New England sports* is wrong at every possible level.

BURGH86STEEL
09-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Bledsoe was notorious for holding onto the football to long.

NW Steeler
09-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Bledsoe was notorious for holding onto the football to long.

True. But Bledsoe was a PURE pocket passer and a statue. Add the writer of that article to the long list of dumbasses that get paid to spew that crap for a living.

:loser

proudpittsburgher
09-14-2009, 05:29 PM
I know Baltimore has a good to great defense, but a putrid Kansas City team with a backup Qb dropped 28 on them yesterday, in Baltimore. Just sayin.

fezziwig
09-14-2009, 06:53 PM
This same writer probably feels the Cheats earned their wins. Their world in New England is upside down compared to the rest of the world, the real world.

Djfan
09-14-2009, 09:11 PM
I couldn't stand Bledsoe. He was a stats guy only. No win-when-we-need-it in the guy.

When they came to our house and he was injured, I thought we had that game. The back up was a scrub named Brady.

Scarletfire1970
09-14-2009, 09:33 PM
I couldn't stand Bledsoe. He was a stats guy only. No win-when-we-need-it in the guy.

When they came to our house and he was injured, I thought we had that game. The back up was a scrub named Brady.
It was the other way around. Brady got hurt and Bledsoe came in and threw the TD that won the game for the Pats. Brady couldn't do crap.

Djfan
09-14-2009, 09:37 PM

It was the other way around. Brady got hurt and Bledsoe came in and threw the TD that won the game for the Pats. Brady couldn't do crap.

I'll have to look it up. I seem to remember it the other way around. I recall a discussion I had with some of the guys about who Brady was. We knew nothing about him at the time.

pfelix73
09-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Here are my predictions:

AFC East Jets Seed 4
AFC North Steelers Seed 2
AFC South Titans Seed 3
AFC West Chargers Seed 1

Wildcards New England, Baltimore Seeds 5, 6

Wildcard weekend Titans over Ravens NE over Jets
Divisional Weekend Steelers over Titans Chargers over NE
AFC Championship Chargers over Steelers

NFC East Giants Seed 3
NFC North Packers Seed 4
NFC South Saints Seed 1
NFC West Seahawks Seed 2

Wildcards Dallas, Atlanta Seeds 5, 6

Wildcard Weekend Giants over Falcons, Cowboys over Packers
Divisional Weekend Saints over Cowboys Seahawks over Giants
NFC Championship Saints over Seahawks

SB XLIV Saints vs Chargers

It could just as easily be Steelers vs. Saints too.

:stirpot :tt1

ANPSTEEL
09-16-2009, 02:53 AM

I'll have to look it up. I seem to remember it the other way around. I recall a discussion I had with some of the guys about who Brady was. We knew nothing about him at the time.

Scarlett is correct
bledsoe came off the bench that game

proudpittsburgher
09-16-2009, 06:52 AM

Scarlett is correct

I second that. And he threw a TD in the back corner of the end zone also.

Djfan
09-16-2009, 08:38 AM

Scarlett is correct

I second that. And he threw a TD in the back corner of the end zone also.

I guess I'm getting old. Don't do it. It sucks.

stlrz d
09-16-2009, 10:15 AM
I guess I'm getting old. Don't do it. It sucks.

It beats the alternative.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~langolier/IMG/GRAVES/forest_lawn_sign_big.jpg

JTP53609
09-16-2009, 01:23 PM
i dont know why that is, i mean bledsoe did hold on the ball for a while sometimes, but other than that I dont really see many more similarities in their game,

JTP53609
09-16-2009, 01:25 PM
and yea Bledsoe got hurt in the second game of the year in 2001 he got hit on the sidelines by Mo Lewis, Brady stepped in for the 0-2 Patsies and led them to an 11-5 record, he than beat the raiders in the snow bowl (tuck rule) than beat us the following week, lee flowers went low on brady and bledsoe came off the bench to beat us....still the most hurtful loss

NW Steeler
09-16-2009, 01:38 PM
That one hurt for sure. But I think the loss to the Chargers in 94' hurt worse. It had been so long for us and we should have kicked their azzes. That one took a long time to get over for me.

JTP53609
09-16-2009, 01:45 PM
That one hurt for sure. But I think the loss to the Chargers in 94' hurt worse. It had been so long for us and we should have kicked their azzes. That one took a long time to get over for me.

yea that one hurt really bad for me, but i was 10 at the time, so i was over it 2 days later, that patriot game was the worse for me, 17 and broken hearted.....the one in 04 was bad but i had a bad feeling of that game.......the 97 game against denver killed me too

SteelCrazy
09-16-2009, 02:25 PM

Oh man, that killed me.... 4th and goal and the RB was wide open and out of nowhere a LB came in and knocked the pass down.....was the RB Foster and the LB Seau??? cant remember

RuthlessBurgher
09-16-2009, 02:33 PM

Oh man, that killed me.... 4th and goal and the RB was wide open and out of nowhere a LB came in and knocked the pass down.....was the RB Foster and the LB Seau??? cant remember

O'Donnell was throwing to Foster, but it was Dennis Gibson who knocked down the pass, not Junior Seau.

SteelCrazy
09-16-2009, 02:41 PM

O'Donnell was throwing to Foster, but it was Dennis Gibson who knocked down the pass, not Junior Seau.

Thanks, that was driving me nuts.........