PDA

View Full Version : Eli - game manager

Starlifter
09-13-2009, 08:14 PM
said so himself. in his post game quotes "i'm just trying to manage the game and make good decisions". I guess when your last name is manning the media will never let you be a game manager - even if you try to admit it yourself.

feltdizz
09-13-2009, 08:26 PM
As long as you win does it really matter what the media or the haters call you?

Hell, haters call Ben a loser/mediocre... I like having a loser/mediocre QB with 2 SB's and a ton of records

Starlifter
09-13-2009, 08:57 PM
what the media calls you IS completely irrelevant. I'm just pointing out their hypocrisy. when they call Ben a game manager they infer that's something that's bad, or a sign of a 'lesser' QB. When Eli refers to himself as a game manager they will ignore it and certainly not criticize him because he has already been certified (in their minds) as a champion QB.

Captain Lemming
09-13-2009, 10:23 PM
what the media calls you IS completely irrelevant. I'm just pointing out their hypocrisy. when they call Ben a game manager they infer that's something that's bad, or a sign of a 'lesser' QB. When Eli refers to himself as a game manager they will ignore it and certainly not criticize him because he has already been certified (in their minds) as a champion QB.

Come on people. Stop whining.
Do some call Ben a game manager? Sure.

What have others said?

Pascarelli (sp) just called him the best in the league today and implied the dude is all time "Legendary" already.
Sporting News I think it was has a list of 50 all time QBs, Ben was on the list ahead of some HOFers.

Nobody rates Eli that high, and the consensus opinion has Ben ahead of Eli EASILY.

This is just like all the boohooing about "the Steelers get no respect".
Plenty of "experts" are picking Pittsburgh. Plenty of others are picking NE.
Nobody else is close.

Why do "some" pick NE?
They have never ever seen Pittsburgh beat Brady in the playoffs.
Are we champs? Yes. Did we beat Brady to do it? No.
The last team Brady led team was better than us that year.

Do I agree with their "logic"? No, the NE defense is gutted, they are not the same team, but until we beat a Brady led team in the playoffs, there is a basis for that POV.

I dont know why all this stuff matters to people.
Ben won his second SB, played well in this one and respect for him is increasing. He wins another and the criticisms of the doubters will largely die.
But to act like Eli gets more respect is a little silly.

proudpittsburgher
09-14-2009, 08:57 AM
seSo here is what I was thinking while watching the NY/Wash. game yesterday . . .

What exactly does Eli do especially well to earn that contract? We KNOW the goods and the bads with Ben, and that generally, the good far outweighs the bad, but we KNOW that with the game on the line, Ben will more often than not come through. We KNOW that Ben can extend a play and make chicken salad out of chicken poop. We KNOW that Ben is the leader of this football team. We KNOW these things.

So what do we KNOW with Eli? Can you trust him to lead the Giants to comeback wins? Is he really the leader of the Giants? Does he throw for 300 per game? Does he make "that throw" when he has to. Can he take a team on his back? Honestly, I really don't know for sure, but I think the answer to those questions are no. Peyton can, Ben can, Brady can, maybe even Rivers can. So why does Eli Manning deserve the big contract?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-14-2009, 09:53 AM
I really don't know for sure, but I think the answer to those questions are no. Peyton can, Ben can, Brady can, maybe even Rivers can. So why does Eli Manning deserve the big contract?

Take a look at the list of QBs who have big contracts - how many have actually done it?

Brady has done it.

Ben has done it.

Eli has done it once, but there are doubts whether or not he can continue to do it again.

Peyton has put up monster numbers throughout his career, but been a playoff flop every year but one.

Brees has been very productive, but never with anything important on the line.

Rivers has never done anything important.

Romo has never done anything past November.

Why do the rest of these guys get big contracts? Because those teams are not getting one of the guys who has been there and they would rather stick with the productive guy they know than start over.

If you really think that Eli is a stiff then we should be happy that he got that contract - because it should eliminate his team from SB contention every year he is there.

proudpittsburgher
09-14-2009, 10:06 AM
I really don't know for sure, but I think the answer to those questions are no. Peyton can, Ben can, Brady can, maybe even Rivers can. So why does Eli Manning deserve the big contract?

Take a look at the list of QBs who have big contracts - how many have actually done it?

Brady has done it.

Ben has done it.

Eli has done it once, but there are doubts whether or not he can continue to do it again.

Peyton has put up monster numbers throughout his career, but been a playoff flop every year but one.

Why do the rest of these guys get big contracts? Because those teams are not getting one of the guys who has been there and they would rather stick with the productive guy they know than start over.

If you really think that Eli is a stiff then we should be happy that he got that contract - because it should eliminate his team from SB contention every year he is there.

I see what you are saying with Eli. I don't necessarioly think he's a stiff, but that's a lot of money for what he does.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-14-2009, 10:23 AM

Brady has done it.

Ben has done it.

I see what you are saying with Eli. I don't necessarioly think he's a stiff, but that's a lot of money for what he does.

It is too much money for him compared to a Ben or Brady. However, with those guys not in the picture you either cut the check or enter the draft - and teams like the Giants are too close to give up on their QB and rebuild with a new one through the draft.

Starlifter
09-14-2009, 11:34 AM
lol, I didn't start this thread as a comparison on Eli vs. Ben. I think Eli's good and Ben is great. This was just another way for me to express my profound disdain for the national media and that lowest slug on the writers ladder - the sports writer.

NW Steeler
09-14-2009, 11:51 AM
This is the year that we exorcise the NE demon in the playoffs! It HAS to happen!

:tt1

RuthlessBurgher
09-14-2009, 12:30 PM
This is the year that we exorcise the NE demon in the playoffs! It HAS to happen!

:tt1

I agree, but what does that have to do with Eli Manning?

Oh, and you forgot this: :ratsuck :lol:

BURGH86STEEL
09-14-2009, 02:26 PM
said so himself. in his post game quotes "i'm just trying to manage the game and make good decisions". I guess when your last name is manning the media will never let you be a game manager - even if you try to admit it yourself.

All QB's are game managers. Some manage the game better then others.

ikestops85
09-14-2009, 02:37 PM

:Agree

QBs that can't manage a game are gonna cause their teams to lose. That's why I never get mad when people call Ben a game manager. He is and a damn good one at that. He also is a damn good game breaker when everything is on the line.

:tt2 :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
09-14-2009, 02:55 PM

He manages to win. By any means necessary. Need me to throw over 40 passes to win a game? Sure. Need me to throw half as many the next week? No problem. Winning is the most important thing, not stats accumulation. As Tomlin said, there are no style points.

frankthetank1
09-14-2009, 03:56 PM
the label "game manager" is really stupid. if one single player has that much control to manage a game than that qb is excellent imo. it never upset me when people called ben a game manager in his first couple of years.