PDA

View Full Version : Can FWP rebound from....

JDSteeler
09-13-2009, 02:19 AM
...the worst season-opening game he has had since becoming the
starting RB??

He was absolutley not ready to play on Thursday Night Vs the Titans.

I know the Oline wasn't exactly having its way with the Titans Dline, but
he seemed to run into the tackler instead of away.

He was slow, hestitant, and showed no vision whatsoever.

I have been a FWP fan, because I believe he gives 110%.

Thursday night he must have decided to give just 10%. To me,
he was just going thru the motions at less than half speed. Even when
he had a something either inside or outside, he wasn't able to, or didn't,
or couldn't accelerate.

I'm convinced that the style of runner that FWP is, just doesn't
mesh with Arians philosophy.

However, Arians run playbook is as thick as it was last season. Run
right, stuffed. Run left, stuffed. Run up the middle, stuffed. You know,
it's real easy for the defense to stop the run when you basically tell them
where your going to run it.

FWP needs a FB to blow-up the LB in the hole, and Arians doesn't use
a FB to lead block.

I'll give FWP one more game to prove he can be the MAN, that he claims
he is. If I see anything less than 110% effort, Tomlin best get Mendy off
the freaking pine.

Tomlin should also get Redman off the PS, and put Summers, or D.Johnson
on it. Atleast Redman will get 3 freaking yards.

JD

SidSmythe
09-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Some people act like WILLIE broke his leg last year.

It's very simple, make big holes for Willie and he's your man.

Don't make big holes for Willie and he's lost.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-13-2009, 09:40 AM
We don't have any RBs that will get yardage with the way our OL played last week. Like someone said, Adrian Peterson couldn't get yardage.

So, I've stopped even worrying about our RB situation. I just worry about our OL situation.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Realistically with the way our offense is built you need to open up the run with the pass and to do that effectively you need a RB that can run and catch so they can be on the field any down. One back isn't capable of playing every snap so you need 2 backs that can run and catch. Mendy & Moore. Willie can't catch. Totally worthless when they run those plays where he motions to line up as a WR.

If Willie continues down this road....I gotta say by week 5 or 6 I would have:
RB-Mendenhall
RB-Moore
RB-Tank or Redman for short yardage
FB/TE-Johnson for short yardage

Wouldn't mind seeing what Logan could do as a 3rd down back ala Kevin Faulk with the Pats. Can Logan pick up a blitz though or catch the football. Haven't seen that yet.

BURGH86STEEL
09-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Realistically with the way our offense is built you need to open up the run with the pass and to do that effectively you need a RB that can run and catch so they can be on the field any down. One back isn't capable of playing every snap so you need 2 backs that can run and catch. Mendy & Moore. Willie can't catch. Totally worthless when they run those plays where he motions to line up as a WR.

RB-Mendenhall
RB-Moore

Wouldn't mind seeing what Logan could do as a 3rd down back ala Kevin Faulk with the Pats. Can Logan pick up a blitz though or catch the football. Haven't seen that yet.

You don't need a RB that can catch the ball to have a successful offense or run game. It would be a bonus if Willie were a better receiver. Willie is not going to go 20 yards down the field to make a reception. Realistically, how many RB's in the league do? Those plays are usually reserved for 3rd down RB's. 3rd down RB's are 3rd down RB's for a reason. I think Willie does fine with the 5 to 10 yard dump offs. Teams still have to respect Willie if he goes out on a pass pattern. The simple fact is RB's are not going to catch a lot of balls in the offense. One reason is because of the WR's and TE's that we have. That is their jobs. Another reason is because Ben usually looks down field more often then taking the RB's underneath.

The simple solution to the problem is for the Oline to become a more consistent run blocking unit. The TE's and FB's can also do a better job. They are still working to improve.

JDSteeler
09-13-2009, 10:56 AM

RB-Mendenhall
RB-Moore

You don't need a RB that can catch the ball to have a successful offense or run game. It would be a bonus if Willie were a better receiver. Willie is not going to go 20 yards down the field to make a reception. Realistically, how many RB's in the league do? Those plays are usually reserved for 3rd down RB's. 3rd down RB's are 3rd down RB's for a reason. I think Willie does fine with the 5 to 10 yard dump offs. Teams still have to respect Willie if he goes out on a pass pattern. The simple fact is RB's are not going to catch a lot of balls in the offense. One reason is because of the WR's and TE's that we have. That is their jobs. Another reason is because Ben usually looks down field more often then taking the RB's underneath.

The simple solution to the problem is for the Oline to become a more consistent run blocking unit. The TE's and FB's can also do a better job. They are still working to improve.

I like what has been said so far.

What really hasn't been tallked about is, freaking Ari-anus's run playbook.

THE MOLE IS BACK!!!!!

If you were to ask me, between Arianus and Zierlein, neither one has a
freaking clue. During preseason, the play-call of choice was a delayed handoff,
or Sprint draw. I really thought that Arianus had schemed up over the off season.
But, then he goes back to "The Same Old Thing". Run Up The Freaking
Middle, RUTFM, are you kidding me!?!?

I hope Tomlin isn't as stubborn as Cowher when it comes to his "Pets" on
the team, and will allow for Mendy to get some reps if FWP continues to
unimpress.

JD

Mister Pittsburgh
09-13-2009, 11:25 AM

RB-Mendenhall
RB-Moore

-didn't say AN offense or run game needs a RB that can catch to have success. I said our offense the way it is built needs a RB that can catch.
-didsn't say Willie needs to have the ability to go 20 yards down field to make catches. Lots of primary backs in the league today are also great receiving weapons. I guess you haven't noticed though that Willie sucks at catching the ball.
-Mewelde Moore had 4 catches and was thrown at a few other times on bad passes by Ben. He was also open 2x about 8 yards downfield where Ben pump faked to him but didn't throw it when he should have.

You obviously think the only way that the Steelers will be successful it so do what they have always done, run first, pass off of that. I don't think that is true. I think we have the personel where we can be very successful doing something else. I think the skill players we have are tops in the league if you devise an offense around their strengths.

NorCal-Steeler
09-13-2009, 11:35 AM
wow you'll give him 1 more game to show what he can do. So he gets the Titans and the Bears two of the toughest run stop teams to prove his worth. Have you looked at the flip side to this ? It's because FWP is a threat that they are loading the box and leaving the recievers open for Ben to do his thing. When FWP goes back to impact player Ben will go back to being just a "game manager". :2c

stlrz d
09-13-2009, 03:14 PM
I wish I had saved my trib post about throwing to RBs. We haven't thrown to a RB consistently since John L. Williams.

He retired after the '95 season.

Yes, it's been that long.

birtikidis
09-13-2009, 03:30 PM
would you say mike turner is better than FWP? he's only averaging 2 yds a carry today. larry johnson has 11 carries for 20 yds. some backs have ****ty days.

LasVegasGuy
09-13-2009, 04:26 PM
wow you'll give him 1 more game to show what he can do. So he gets the Titans and the Bears two of the toughest run stop teams to prove his worth. Have you looked at the flip side to this ? It's because FWP is a threat that they are loading the box and leaving the recievers open for Ben to do his thing. When FWP goes back to impact player Ben will go back to being just a "game manager". :2c

Wishful thinking. Trust me Willie "the turd" Parker isn't scary anyone. We have 15 games left with these piece of crap then he will be gone for good. Adios, Parker.

LasVegasGuy
09-13-2009, 04:31 PM
would you say mike turner is better than FWP? he's only averaging 2 yds a carry today. larry johnson has 11 carries for 20 yds. some backs have ****ty days.

Yes - I would can definetly say those backs are better then Willie. Those guys have ****ty days. Willie on the other hands is just ****ty.

birtikidis
09-13-2009, 05:33 PM

Yes - I would can definetly say those backs are better then Willie. Those guys have ****ty days. Willie on the other hands is just ****ty.
I disagree. turner may be better than willie, but only slightly. I would take willie over larry any day, and I've always like johnson. face it, willie is the best back on this team and he gives us our best chance at winning. saying that though, we definetly should be a RB by committee.

JDSteeler
09-13-2009, 05:51 PM

Excellent points...

However, if Ben has to chuck it 40+ times a game, than he is getting sacked 4
times a game and hit another 10 times. At that rate, he be freaking banged up
by the playoffs. That's not something I want.

The Steelers got to have some freaking balance.

If FWP is the #1, than he needs to start running with some authority, regardless
how big the hole is, period!!!! And freaking BA needs to scheme his shiity run play
calling, and get some freaking yards on the ground, period!!!

JD

BURGH86STEEL
09-13-2009, 08:43 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":2wtxbiun]Realistically with the way our offense is built you need to open up the run with the pass and to do that effectively you need a RB that can run and catch so they can be on the field any down. One back isn't capable of playing every snap so you need 2 backs that can run and catch. Mendy & Moore. Willie can't catch. Totally worthless when they run those plays where he motions to line up as a WR.

RB-Mendenhall
RB-Moore

-didn't say AN offense or run game needs a RB that can catch to have success. I said our offense the way it is built needs a RB that can catch.
-didsn't say Willie needs to have the ability to go 20 yards down field to make catches. Lots of primary backs in the league today are also great receiving weapons. I guess you haven't noticed though that Willie sucks at catching the ball.
-Mewelde Moore had 4 catches and was thrown at a few other times on bad passes by Ben. He was also open 2x about 8 yards downfield where Ben pump faked to him but didn't throw it when he should have.

You obviously think the only way that the Steelers will be successful it so do what they have always done, run first, pass off of that. I don't think that is true. I think we have the personel where we can be very successful doing something else. I think the skill players we have are tops in the league if you devise an offense around their strengths.[/quote:2wtxbiun]

I don't believe the way the offense is built that it needs a great pass catching RB to have success. What the offense needs is for the Oline and TE's to block more consistently for the RB's. It is really simple. They are working to improve in that area.

Some of those team's offenses don't have the WR or TE receiving options that the Steelers have. There are a handful of starting RB's that I would consider really good receivers coming out of the backfield. Those teams RB's that caught those passes did not or don't have very good WR corps. There are only a handful of primary RB's that I would consider great receiving weapons. What most consider to be the best RB(A. Peterson) in the league is not a great pass catching RB. He plays behind a pretty good offensive line.

Willie has 79 catches for his career. He may not be a great pass catcher but he can catch screens, check downs, and passes in the flat. That is to the extent that most RB's catch footballs. As I already stated, teams will have to respect him if he is a check down receiver or option in the flat. Again, that is the extent that most RB's catch the football.

MM is a better receiver than Parker. Just because he was open down field does not mean anything. Any RB can sit down in a spot in a zone to occupy defenders. They still have to respect that option.

I don't obviously think anything regarding run, pass, run, pass, pass, pass, or run. I don't get caught up into that nonsense. What I know they need to do is execute whatever play is called better. That is the bottom line.

They do design plays around our player's strengths. It is unfortunate that some fans cannot see that. Sometimes they have success and sometimes they do not. That is the NFL.

NorCal-Steeler
09-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Gore had 22 carries for 30 yrds a 1.4 average maybe they will trade our turd for theirs.

LasVegasGuy
09-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Gore had 22 carries for 30 yrds a 1.4 average maybe they will trade our turd for theirs.

Would take Gore over Willie any day of the week. Even the 49ers aren't stupid enough to make that trade.

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Wow...I'm surprised that anyone could realistically compare Turner and/or Gore to Parker at this juncture. I'm not a Willie hater like some others, but Turner and Gore are stud backs in this league (week 1 performances not withstanding). Parker, well, is not even close to being considered elite right now by anyone. As for Larry Johnson, he used to be a heck of a RB, but his game has declined and his attitude sucks, so he is not even worth my consideration at this point.

birtikidis
09-13-2009, 11:40 PM
the point ruthless was that it's one game. the sky isn't falling.