PDA

View Full Version : A View from A Far...

BigLebowski
09-12-2009, 08:47 PM
“Parker looks lost when you send him on a passing play,” the second scout said, pointing out that Parker completely busted a play on the very first series of the game, failing to either get open quickly enough or block a lineman who broke free chasing quarterback Ben Roethlisberger(notes). “Parker was in no-man’s land and you could see by his body language that he had no clue where he was supposed to be. He didn’t run a route and he didn’t stay in to block. When the [Steelers] coaches look at that one, they’re going to just shake their heads.”

“Pretty obvious. [Parker] dances too much, no burst, doesn’t even read the holes very well,” one scout said via email when asked to evaluate Parker’s performance in the opener.

Likewise, the scouts said the problem is layered and not easy to fix.

“They won a title with that running game last year, but I wouldn’t want to bet on them doing it again if they can’t run,” the latter scout said. “The line isn’t good, but it’s not that bad, either. I don’t know if Mendenhall is any better than Parker, but he can’t be much worse … Moore is nice, but if you play him full-time, you burn him out and they need him on third down.

‘Fast’ Willie looks slow, out of place (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AiAM0IWKhmpppkrth.lzFzZDubYF?slug=jc-parkerlooksslow091109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

NorthCoast
09-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Willie is fine when obvious holes are there to run through. But my biggest beef is his consistent failure to make the first guy to him miss. That used to be Bettis' mantra. Willie's game would look alot better if he could just manage to avoid that first tackler. Glad we hung onto Redman because if Parker and Mendenhall don't improve as the season moves along, somebody will be riding pine. My guess is that Tomlin won't make a formal change in the starting RB but we will see Moore and Mendy get more and more carries in games until it is obvious Parker is no longer the man.

Discipline of Steel
09-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Willie is fine when obvious holes are there to run through. But my biggest beef is his consistent failure to make the first guy to him miss. That used to be Bettis' mantra. Willie's game would look alot better if he could just manage to avoid that first tackler. Glad we hung onto Redman because if Parker and Mendenhall don't improve as the season moves along, somebody will be riding pine. My guess is that Tomlin won't make a formal change in the starting RB but we will see Moore and Mendy get more and more carries in games until it is obvious Parker is no longer the man.

I dont know, if Parkers performance continues toward steep decline, the pendulum could swing rather rapidly.

Tomlinator
09-13-2009, 01:13 AM
It's a damn shame Parker seems to have contracted Amos Zereoue disease.

He used to hit the gas and go, but getting injured two years in a row has knocked any agressiveness out of him. He's just too tenative now, and even though Mendenhall didn't seem to be much better, it looked to me he at least kept the legs churning after contact.

I think a lot of his problem is mental. Parker has complained about wanting a fullback more often. He's psyked himself out and convinced himself he can't function without one.

pfelix73
09-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Not many RB's Can function without one. Brandon Jacobs has a good one in front of him.

:tt1

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-14-2009, 09:09 AM

He used to hit the gas and go, but getting injured two years in a row has knocked any agressiveness out of him. He's just too tenative now, and even though Mendenhall didn't seem to be much better, it looked to me he at least kept the legs churning after contact.

I think a lot of his problem is mental. Parker has complained about wanting a fullback more often. He's psyked himself out and convinced himself he can't function without one.

$$$ post.

One difference that I noticed between the two - Parker gets hit in the backfield and goes down in that same spot. Mendenhall gets hits in the backfield and powers forward for a couple of more yards. Two unproductive runs, but one less unproductive than the other.

proudpittsburgher
09-14-2009, 09:19 AM

$$$ post.

One difference that I noticed between the two - Parker gets hit in the backfield and goes down in that same spot. Mendenhall gets hits in the backfield and powers forward for a couple of more yards. Two unproductive runs, but one less unproductive than the other.

That's my beef with Parker. There were times against Tenn where he had a chance to fall forward and gain two or three, but he tried to hit the big one, and either lost yardage or hit for no gain. Sometimes two yards isn't the worst thing.

Oviedo
09-14-2009, 09:25 AM

Bettis made the first guy miss because the first guy was trying to get his arms around a 275lb Redwood tree trunk. Big difference than wrapping up a normal sized 205lb RB. Willie's biggest problem is he is the RB that followed Bettis and that is who he gets compared to. The fact is 95% of the RBs in the NFL fail to measure up to that comparison which is why Bettis is going to the HoF.

MeetJoeGreene
09-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Any bets when Mendy gets the start?

Could it come as soon as this week?

RuthlessBurgher
09-14-2009, 10:03 AM

I don't think he gets the start this week, but I think he gets more than the handful of touches he got in Tennessee. Extra bonus motivation: Chicago is his hometown. I'm sure he'll be pumped up to perform in front of his friends, family, people that try to rob him while he goes for walks around the lake, etc.

SteelerNation1
09-14-2009, 10:04 AM

Not yet. That is not Tomlin's style. He won't throw Willie under the bus.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-14-2009, 10:13 AM

Bettis made the first guy miss because the first guy was trying to get his arms around a 275lb Redwood tree trunk. Big difference than wrapping up a normal sized 205lb RB. Willie's biggest problem is he is the RB that followed Bettis and that is who he gets compared to. The fact is 95% of the RBs in the NFL fail to measure up to that comparison which is why Bettis is going to the HoF.

I don't think that the only problem with him is that he is not Bettis. I'd be happy at this point to compare him to Richard Huntley or Chris Fu'amata Ma'afala.

The problem with Parker right now is that he needs to begin running like Fast Willie again. He was a more reckless runner when he first started. He would get the ball and take off. Sometimes he would hit a brick wall that was the DL, sometimes he would hit his own lineman's butt, but sometimes he would rip off a huge run.

He no longer takes the ball with any steam. he takes it and waits for a hole to open. Two problems with that - 1) this line rarely opens a hole for him and 2) if he does get a hole then he has no momentum with which to hit it.

birtikidis
09-14-2009, 11:33 AM
i don't think it matters who is the "starter" all our backs should get more touches. rb by committee is the way our running game should be designed.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-14-2009, 11:46 AM

Or you could say the problem is Willie followed Bettis, and the Steelers never adjusted their playbook from having a 275lb back to having a 205lb back.

MeetJoeGreene
09-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Or you could say the problem is Willie followed Bettis, and the Steelers never adjusted their playbook from having a 275lb back to having a 205lb back.

Other than getting rid of a fullback.
:D

You bring up a good point. Willie (and mendy) have different strenghts/style than Bettis. I am greatly surprised that we don't have more designed to go to the outside.....

RKSteel
09-14-2009, 01:29 PM

You bring up a good point. Willie (and mendy) have different strenghts/style than Bettis. I am greatly surprised that we don't have more designed to go to the outside.....
I agree, when I play Madden, all my plays for Parker are stretch runs or pitches to the os. :lol:

Mister Pittsburgh
09-14-2009, 02:13 PM

I agree, when I play Madden, all my plays for Parker are stretch runs or pitches to the os. :lol:

I liked the sprint draw plays we were running in the preseason.

ikestops85
09-14-2009, 02:54 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":2xhkcozy]

I liked the sprint draw plays we were running in the preseason.[/quote:2xhkcozy]

I did too ... the right side of the line actually seems to open some holes on that play. Probably why Arians doesn't run it. :evil: