PDA

View Full Version : Interesting...

steelsnis
09-12-2009, 09:56 AM
I thought this was pretty interesting:

He was also hit hard on several other occasions, the most vicious coming early in the third quarter when he was drilled by defensive end William Hayes.

Don't blame the offensive line for that. Roethlisberger twice changed the play at the line of scrimmage and rookie receiver Mike Wallace, who was lined farthest from the quarterback, did not hear the audible.

When the play broke down, Hayes came free and drilled Roethlisberger, who got up slowly from the hit.

It's always interesting when we as fans watch the games, and so often miss things that happen on the field. Yet we still jump to conclusions and have knee-jerk reactions. There is no way any of us would have known that Wallace didn't get the audible and wasn't where he was supposed to be, leading to the breakdown of the play and Ben getting hit.

The other thing that isn't being brought up that often with regard to the offensive line is that Trai Essex is making his first start of the season (really of his career as a full-time starter) at guard. Much of the pressure came through him. Once he gets a bit more comfortable, i'm sure he'll be fine.

My point here is, while sometimes guys just simply get beat, there's often more to it than meets the eye.