PDA

View Full Version : Willie Parker ....

SidSmythe
09-11-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm not liking what i'm seeing from WILLIE PARKER.

I've always been a WILLIE fan, but WILLIE needs great blocking to be effective. He just doesn't have the vision to make a lot out of a little.

Mewelde Moore has that ability w/ half the speed.

Willie is always looking to take it outside and in the NFL, that isn't easy unless they completely clog up the middle and give it to you. Last night WILLIE took a few outside for nothing when he could have had 3-4 yards inside. The NFL only counts yards downfield, not sideline to sideline.

I'm afraid to say it ... Willie isn't going to be successful behind this line against top notch defenses this year.

Ozey74
09-11-2009, 01:08 PM
I agree. I fear that we will see more of the same against the Bears D next week. They also play a 4-3 D & have depth on the DL.

I will be thrilled if were 2-0 after next weekend.

:tt2

BURGH86STEEL
09-11-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm not liking what i'm seeing from WILLIE PARKER.

I've always been a WILLIE fan, but WILLIE needs great blocking to be effective. He just doesn't have the vision to make a lot out of a little.

Mewelde Moore has that ability w/ half the speed.

Willie is always looking to take it outside and in the NFL, that isn't easy unless they completely clog up the middle and give it to you. Last night WILLIE took a few outside for nothing when he could have had 3-4 yards inside. The NFL only counts yards downfield, not sideline to sideline.

I'm afraid to say it ... Willie isn't going to be successful behind this line against top notch defenses this year.

Some of Parker's hesitation may have been due to the lack of running room. Maybe those were read, react, and hit the hole plays not designed to attack certain areas of the DLine? By the time he was going to react, a Titans player was in the back field because the blocking broke down.

That being said, he ran hard on some plays. Those plays were probably designed for specific gaps. The blocking was not there. Give the Titans some credit. They did a good job.

I don't know of any RB's that can be consistently effective without blocking up front. I don't think MM can hold up as a starting RB in the NFL. With the way the Oline blocked against the Titans, I don't think any RB would have success.

We have to remember that this is a different Oline then Willie is use to running behind. They are in the process of coming into their own as a run blocking unit. It may take a few more games for them to get comfortable with one another.

I am not ready to throw WP in the trash after one game against a good Titans defense. I don't think the coaches are either.

MeetJoeGreene
09-11-2009, 02:51 PM
If the play doesn't open up exactly as scripted, then I fear Parker can't adjust and make something out of nothing.

This is more true now that I fear is Willie Parker without the Fast.

It used to be he would get 2,1,2, -1, 75 yards.

Now I don't know if he has the speed to get the 75.

SteelerNation1
09-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Willie has always struggled against top notch defenses (see any Balt game)

SteelTorch
09-11-2009, 02:53 PM
I was remarking last night how it seems as though Willie Parker seeks out a defender on every play and runs into him. :)

I like Parker, but he has not been as impressive lately, and I'm talking about more than just the Titans game. 1.5 yards per carry will NOT get us far. Ben is going to need help from the running game at some point.

But it is only week 1, so we'll see. :wink:

SidSmythe
09-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Willie is a back that is made to run behind guys like Smith, Hartings and Faneca. Those guys can give him good lanes. Willie can only see straight ahead and if straight ahead isn't open, he's lost.

Great backs can see the whole field and find the creases and the holes that are about to open up. It's called VISION.
Mewelde Moore has it, but he also lacks the physical stature to be an every down back for 17 weeks.
Isaac Redman has it too, but I question his speed and his stamina.

Mendenhall needs to step up and take over this running game. I would take a 3.8/ypc average from him this season b/c Willie's not going to get it done in this offense.