PDA

View Full Version : Ben's field vision in titans game

NC Steeler Fan
09-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Was it just me or did anyone else notice that on MORE than enough plays Ben was still scanning the field after a receiver had come wide open in mid field that it never even looked like he saw?

I don't have the memory for specific plays that you guys do, but I know I saw what looked to be Heath on several occasions and others get free over the middle and wave to Ben and he seemed to be looking their direction without even seeing them.

I hope it's just an early season bug to be worked out. I know that he'll see this in the tape, but it was ridiculous on several plays...at least to me.

proudpittsburgher
09-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Ben had time to do this, which was nice. What impressed me most, was how Ben set them up. He knew he was going to heath all the way, it seemed, but he took the time to look at him, then look to the right, then go back to heath, to buy him some extra space.

NWNewell
09-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Definitely.

On one of the deep passes to Holmes (I think the TD pass), there was a shot of Ben's eyes when he dropped back. It was great. He looked center, looked left (away from Holmes), glanced to the right (at Holmes) for a split second to see if he got position on his man, looked back to the left and pump faked to bring the safety up on the left, they threw it to Holmes over the safety's head.

It was impressive to see his progression and how he moved the defense to set up the throw to Holmes. Great play.

NC Steeler Fan
09-11-2009, 10:53 AM
I think you're misinterpreting? I meant on several plays that broke down or he was sacked. it looked to me he never saw an open receiver on several occasions and missed the play.

jj28west
09-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Definitely.

On one of the deep passes to Holmes (I think the TD pass), there was a shot of Ben's eyes when he dropped back. It was great. He looked center, looked left (away from Holmes), glanced to the right (at Holmes) for a split second to see if he got position on his man, looked back to the left and pump faked to bring the safety up on the left, they threw it to Holmes over the safety's head.

It was impressive to see his progression and how he moved the defense to set up the throw to Holmes. Great play.

That play really was a thing of beauty all around

SidSmythe
09-11-2009, 12:41 PM
BEN is not textbook, white collar QB like Manning and Brady.
He's a backyard, Blue collar QB.
BEN is looking for the big play on every play. Sure he can check down to Miller or Moore (which he actually did more of last night than in the past), but Ben's looking for the Big Play first.

BURGH86STEEL
09-11-2009, 12:48 PM
I think you're misinterpreting? I meant on several plays that broke down or he was sacked. it looked to me he never saw an open receiver on several occasions and missed the play.

It is one area Ben is working to improve.

Snatch98
09-11-2009, 01:09 PM

A area he needs to improve? I agree it can be extraordinarily frustrating as a fan watching from home because you aren't seeing what he's seeing downfield. HOWEVER if Big Ben doesn't do what he does best and that is extend plays we don't win the super bowl, hell we maybe don't smell the superbowl. He has tremendous field awareness and a knack for getting free and finding a reciever for intrical yard pick ups. If he simply throws to a check down we might not move the ball the distance we need and get forced to punt. I'll take the occasional sack for a big loss if he's making big plays more often than not at that is exactly what he does. He sees the field but is looking to make a throw to move the chains not just check down and MAYBE pick up the first down. It's that simple. We should be used to this people. He's been doing it since being under center and we're winning a lot of games.

skyhawk
09-11-2009, 01:18 PM

A area he needs to improve? I agree it can be extraordinarily frustrating as a fan watching from home because you aren't seeing what he's seeing downfield. HOWEVER if Big Ben doesn't do what he does best and that is extend plays we don't win the super bowl, hell we maybe don't smell the superbowl. He has tremendous field awareness and a knack for getting free and finding a reciever for intrical yard pick ups. If he simply throws to a check down we might not move the ball the distance we need and get forced to punt. I'll take the occasional sack for a big loss if he's making big plays more often than not at that is exactly what he does. He sees the field but is looking to make a throw to move the chains not just check down and MAYBE pick up the first down. It's that simple. We should be used to this people. He's been doing it since being under center and we're winning a lot of games.

:Clap

:tt1

feltdizz
09-11-2009, 01:23 PM
BEN is looking for the big play on every play. Sure he can check down to Miller or Moore (which he actually did more of last night than in the past), but Ben's looking for the Big Play first.

true.. and as frustrating as it is he gets results.. but man, I really would like to see what a swing pass to Moore would look like if Ben didn't wait til the last second... I think some of those 8 yard gains could be 20 yards.

but like you said.. he is looking for the big play ALL the time.

BURGH86STEEL
09-11-2009, 01:33 PM

Yes, an area that he is working to improve. What is so difficult to understand about that statement? It will help to limit the amount of unnecessary hits he takes. Live to play another play.

In any event, Ben is not a finished product as a QB/passer. There is nothing wrong with pointing out areas that he needs to work on to improve. I am fairly certain that he feels he is still working to become a better QB.

Snatch98
09-11-2009, 01:52 PM

Yes, an area that he is working to improve. What is so difficult to understand about that statement? It will help to limit the amount of unnecessary hits he takes. Live to play another play.

In any event, Ben is not a finished product as a QB/passer. There is nothing wrong with pointing out areas that he needs to work on to improve. I am fairly certain that he feels he is still working to become a better QB.

Of course he's working to get better but I can assure you that isn't one of the areas. It's also not a hard statement to undertand it's just flat out incorrect. His style of play is to EXTEND the play, not throw the ball away or check down for a yard or two and punt. If you can't accept this approach at this stage in his career be prepared to create this same scenario in your mind until the day he retires. If it makes you feel better to say he's working to get rid of the ball faster fine but that isn't the case. The only way he gets rid of the ball faster than he is right now is if our recievers get open faster. The man despises the "he holds on to the ball to long comments" enough to say something to the media after the Super Bowl win. He's going to hold the ball for the big play for the rest of his career. The end.

BDESteel
09-11-2009, 02:09 PM
I agree that it would be nice to see Ben throw the easy check down pass. I also agree that Ben is going to look for the big play for most of his career. Things may change when he gets a little older and can't pull off the athletic moves on the field he does now.

With his new media attention getting pump fake I think the big play is often open for Ben, therefore he should go for it.

We started off awful on offense and ended up with 363 passing yards. That's impressive! Ben doesn't usually pull that off with a hot start.

I have no complaints. What Ben is doing is working, so keep doin it.

proudpittsburgher
09-11-2009, 02:47 PM
I agree that it would be nice to see Ben throw the easy check down pass. I also agree that Ben is going to look for the big play for most of his career. Things may change when he gets a little older and can't pull off the athletic moves on the field he does now.

With his new media attention getting pump fake I think the big play is often open for Ben, therefore he should go for it.

We started off awful on offense and ended up with 363 passing yards. That's impressive! Ben doesn't usually pull that off with a hot start.

I have no complaints. What Ben is doing is working, so keep doin it.

Agree completely. And did anyone stop and think that the reason Ben waited so long to hit his checkdown (and I thought I noticed this on several occasions last night) was he wanted to get his checkdown a little more room, by forcing the defensive secondary farther away from his checkdown? Ben did dso much pump faking and looking left and right last night that he actually bought his checkdown more running room. They are so worried that he is giong for the big hitter downfield that they overplay it, gaining more room for Moore out of the backfield, or Miller in the flat.

BURGH86STEEL
09-11-2009, 02:58 PM

Of course he's working to get better but I can assure you that isn't one of the areas. It's also not a hard statement to undertand it's just flat out incorrect. His style of play is to EXTEND the play, not throw the ball away or check down for a yard or two and punt. If you can't accept this approach at this stage in his career be prepared to create this same scenario in your mind until the day he retires. If it makes you feel better to say he's working to get rid of the ball faster fine but that isn't the case. The only way he gets rid of the ball faster than he is right now is if our recievers get open faster. The man despises the "he holds on to the ball to long comments" enough to say something to the media after the Super Bowl win. He's going to hold the ball for the big play for the rest of his career. The end.

On one hand, you admit that he is working to get better. On the other, this is not one of the areas. Interesting, CYA? What other areas is he working to improve? Reading defenses? Deep ball? Hot routes with WR's? Since you are so sure what I stated is flat out incorrect, assure me of the areas he is working to get better please.

He has shown the awareness to throw to the check down option. There will be times when he should take that option instead of taking unnecessary hits. Again, it is a work in progress.

It does not make me feel better to say he is working to get rid of the ball quicker. You can say it is not the case if that is what you believe. I believe and it is only logical to assume that as a QB, he should be working to get rid of the ball quicker. He will not always have the ability to run around the pocket and make plays. His style will have to change as he ages. He will have to become a smarter QB. Live to play another play. One reason why I said he is working to improve.

He may despise the, "there are times he holds the ball to long" comment but there is some truth to that statement. This is not a trash Ben session. I rarely if ever trash any member of the Steelers or any other team. I only stated an area that I think he is working to improve.

NC Steeler Fan
09-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Look, I wasn't trying to make this a black and white issue. I LOVE the improvisation and pump faking and making-something-out-of-nothing that is Ben Roethlisberger.

But,...I know I saw him miss several open receivers when he was getting to the end of his "life" on a play. That may be his insistance on making the "big" play happen, but I'll take a "+" on the yardage over a "-" any day.

Just sayin'...

jj28west
09-11-2009, 03:25 PM

I cant remember if it was last year agains the Eagles but it was around that time where it seemed Moore? was open on the flat on everyplay after a second delay to chip an oncoming rusher. Ben was so focused on the big play that it was too late to even consider this dump off read. SS you nailed it on the head.

NorthCoast
09-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Honestly, I don't think Ben fears the sack as much as you might think (at least he doesn't play like a man who fears it). So I don't think it is such a big deal for him to stand in there and wait for the big play to open up. I know nobody likes to get hit by a 250 lb linebacker barrelling down, but I also don't think Ben looks at it as an end to his life (this is a guy that did a face plant on a windshield!).

I am just enjoying the show right now, because any given play could end it regardless of the player. As long as Ben keeps winning these games I don't want him to IMPROVE anything.....just continue to make the plays.

stlrz d
09-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Don't think that just because his helmet is facing one direction that he is actually looking that way.

Smart QBs will turn their head so it appears they are looking one way when they really are looking the other way.