PDA

View Full Version : Our Offense is going to rock on ALL cylinders now

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Here's why I think so:

After seeing the Titans try to win last night by loading the box, every defensive coordinator we play from this point on is going to say - "No way we're going to win by loading the box and putting the game on Ben's shoulders, the Steelers passing game is just too good. So, we'll have to drop some back to play the pass...".

I think this will have HUGE implications for the run blocking, and the running game. Look to see FWP and others have game changing performances from here on in!

Ozey74
09-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Nice point of view. I hope your right.

:tt2

frankthetank1
09-11-2009, 09:51 AM
thats a very good point. i hadnt thought about that. why would opposing defensive cordinators want to make ben beat them?

papillon
09-11-2009, 10:17 AM
The problem is, just like all the pundits, the other teams in the league just don't get how Ben plays quarterback and how good he is. Here's an example.

I was driving to work today listening to Mike and Mike and then they interviewed Jaworski. They are in capable of elevating Ben to elite status, because he is an unconventional quarterback and they can't get outside the box. He was called effective in the 4th quarter (Duh, ya think), efficient by going 33 for 43 and, finally, Jaworski was asked point blank, "Is Ben that good?" His response was something to the effect that he's good, but throws bad interceptions, takes bad sacks, etc., hey just don't get it.

Until, a defensive coordinator gets it and decides that Ben can and will beat them; Ben is going to win a lot of football games and the running game is going to be pedestrian.

Pappy

skyhawk
09-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Here's why I think so:

After seeing the Titans try to win last night by loading the box, every defensive coordinator we play from this point on is going to say - "No way we're going to win by loading the box and putting the game on Ben's shoulders, the Steelers passing game is just too good. So, we'll have to drop some back to play the pass...".

I think this will have HUGE implications for the run blocking, and the running game. Look to see FWP and others have game changing performances from here on in!

I understand your point but they NEVER loaded the box in the 4th quarter.

THAT's what I couldn't understand. Only rushing 4 after having early success rushing 5 and 6 guys. You can't give ANY NFL QB, let alone Ben that much time. I thought it was a terrible move by the tits coaching. But I liked it :P

Give the OL credit once again when they had to do it. They get confused when more players are coming at them. If they are outnumbered it's over.

skyhawk
09-11-2009, 01:50 PM
The problem is, just like all the pundits, the other teams in the league just don't get how Ben plays quarterback and how good he is. Here's an example.

I was driving to work today listening to Mike and Mike and then they interviewed Jaworski. They are in capable of elevating Ben to elite status, because he is an unconventional quarterback and they can't get outside the box. He was called effective in the 4th quarter (Duh, ya think), efficient by going 33 for 43 and, finally, Jaworski was asked point blank, "Is Ben that good?" His response was something to the effect that he's good, but throws bad interceptions, takes bad sacks, etc., hey just don't get it.

Until, a defensive coordinator gets it and decides that Ben can and will beat them; Ben is going to win a lot of football games and the running game is going to be pedestrian.

Pappy

I totally agreee Pap. I just don't get these "experts".

Oviedo
09-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Here's why I think so:

THAT's what I couldn't understand. Only rushing 4 after having early success rushing 5 and 6 guys. You can't give ANY NFL QB, let alone Ben that much time. I thought it was a terrible move by the tits coaching. But I liked it :P

Give the OL credit once again when they had to do it. They get confused when more players are coming at them. If they are outnumbered it's over.

They didn't load the box in the 4th quarter because we quit playing their game and forced them to adjust to us. Rushing 5 or 6 would have gotten them burnt because Ben started to focus on quick slants and swing passes out of the backfield. It was a great adjustment by Arians and Ben to take away what the Titans were doing well. We totally got them off balance and out of their gameplan. Give credit to the guy who is constantly getting bashed because he made the right adjustment.

NWNewell
09-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Here's why I think so:

I disagree with you. When the Titans load the box and blitz, they were stuffing the run and at the same time pressuring Ben. Pressuring Ben is high risk/high reward (he will burn you if you miss the tackles, or you can get a lot of sacks). But it was better than the alternative. When the Titans had a 4 man front/rush, the running game got some room and Ben was patient and found open receivers.

If you look at his good drivers it was when Titans backed off the blitzes. Opponents will see that and likely keep the pressure on in the future. Not saying Ben won't burn the pressure. Sometimes he will, sometimes he won't. But my point is, I don't think opponents will be backing of the line. They'll load the box and apply pressure if they have the personal and skill to do so (not many teams can do it like the Titans and Ravens).

Mister Pittsburgh
09-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Here's why I think so:

They didn't load the box in the 4th quarter because we quit playing their game and forced them to adjust to us. Rushing 5 or 6 would have gotten them burnt because Ben started to focus on quick slants and swing passes out of the backfield. It was a great adjustment by Arians and Ben to take away what the Titans were doing well. We totally got them off balance and out of their gameplan. Give credit to the guy who is constantly getting bashed because he made the right adjustment.

He gets bashed because that shouldn't be an 'adjustment', that should be our offense until a team stops it. And when they start trying to jump the routes to stop it, that is when Ben pump fakes and goes deep. The only time we get into trouble running this type of offense is when Ben gets greedy and tries to force the deep pass when the 8 yard pass is wide open in front of him.

Go back and watch the game. Forget what drive it was specifically but it was the one where we were very close to FG range and Mike Wallace got called for illegal formation cause he wasn't on the line. Well at one point we were sitting just out of FG range and we ran a pass play. Ben drops back, looks directly at Mewelde Moore who was wide open for about an 8 to 10 yard gain and would have put us in FG range. Instead of throwing it to him he pump fakes it to him and starts looking deep. He throws it to Moore and we are in FG range. Stupid mistake cause we ended up punting it to them. The underneath stuff is there all the time, Ben just makes it look difficult cause he gets greedy and wants the 20 yard pass instead of the 5 yard pass.

If he could learn to take what is there, our offense would be unstoppable with all the weapons we have. That is what makes me want to puke. You would think we were some putrid offense but we have so many damn skill players it is insane. Ben, Hines, Santonio, Sweed, Wallace, Heath, Spaeth, Moore, Mendenhall......odd man out is Willie. He is one dimensional. He can't catch and that is a must for a RB and Moore showed it last night as the outlet.

stlrz d
09-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Here's why I think so:

I disagree with you. When the Titans load the box and blitz, they were stuffing the run and at the same time pressuring Ben. Pressuring Ben is high risk/high reward (he will burn you if you miss the tackles, or you can get a lot of sacks). But it was better than the alternative. When the Titans had a 4 man front/rush, the running game got some room and Ben was patient and found open receivers.

If you look at his good drivers it was when Titans backed off the blitzes. Opponents will see that and likely keep the pressure on in the future. Not saying Ben won't burn the pressure. Sometimes he will, sometimes he won't. But my point is, I don't think opponents will be backing of the line. They'll load the box and apply pressure if they have the personal and skill to do so (not many teams can do it like the Titans and Ravens).

They ran out of gas stacking the line and rushing Ben. They purposely dressed 10 D linemen for that purpose and still ran out of gas. No one can play that type of D all game. It caught up to them and Ben made them pay.

NorthCoast
09-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Well I predicted the run game would suffer last nite. Tennessee has a stud DL even without Haynesworth. We know our OL is only average (we have put all our money in the skill positions, and rightly so). Blowouts are always welcome but the fact is for at least 2 yrs we have won many games by a touchdown or less. Why do people want to change Ben when he has already proved he can win these games? I don't understand the thinking. Maybe after a few years of getting creamed by sacks Ben will evolve his game to the short stuff, but I don't have any problems with his style right now. (I guess his OL could get frustrated with him knowing they have to hold their blocks for 6 or 7 sec rather than 3 but they seem to have each others back right now.)

Just relax and enjoy the ride fellas....

NWNewell
09-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Here's why I think so:

They ran out of gas stacking the line and rushing Ben. They purposely dressed 10 D linemen for that purpose and still ran out of gas. No one can play that type of D all game. It caught up to them and Ben made them pay.

Steelers play that way most of the game and don't run out of gas. However, I'll agree that they were likely gassed. But I don't quite get why they would call off the blitzes. Their tired so it's a better idea for the lineman and LB's to try to keep up with the reciveres?

I agree thery were gassed and that helped the success, but changing the plays to go away from what had been more successful shouldn't be because they were too tired.

stlrz d
09-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Here's why I think so:

Steelers play that way most of the game and don't run out of gas. However, I'll agree that they were likely gassed. But I don't quite get why they would call off the blitzes. Their tired so it's a better idea for the lineman and LB's to try to keep up with the reciveres?

I agree thery were gassed and that helped the success, but changing the plays to go away from what had been more successful shouldn't be because they were too tired.

They weren't trying to keep up with receivers. They were trying to drop guys into coverage and make tight throwing lanes. Ben pump faked his way right through that.

I don't think a lot of people realize how much energy it takes to rush the passer.

Our guys play that way too, but LeBeau is a master of scheming and is able to get pressure without having to rely on the same couple of guys to do it.

Sugar
09-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Our offense will probably look better simply because we just played the best D we will face all year, with the possible exception of Baltimore.

SidSmythe
09-11-2009, 10:07 PM
I thought the same thing last night when I went to bed.

Teams usually play the Steelers tight in the box b/c we are a run first team. Teams will learn that BEN can actually beat you in the air, especially w/ the emergence of Holmes as an all around threat.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-12-2009, 09:24 AM
I think only then, when teams start backing out of the box to take Ben's threat away, will we know the true measure of FWP vs Mendy vs Meweldy.

Though, having said that, if Ben can still torch them even though they're only putting 3 or 4 in the box like they did on Thursday, there's no reason for ANY of our RBs to break a sweat!

NWNewell
09-12-2009, 09:45 AM
[quote=SanAntonioSteelerFan]Here's why I think so:

They weren't trying to keep up with receivers. They were trying to drop guys into coverage and make tight throwing lanes. Ben pump faked his way right through that.

I don't think a lot of people realize how much energy it takes to rush the passer.

Our guys play that way too, but LeBeau is a master of scheming and is able to get pressure without having to rely on the same couple of guys to do it.[/quote:3kw0mych]

Maybe so... :?