PDA

View Full Version : CALL UP REDMAN NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doogie36
09-11-2009, 09:24 AM
I am a fan who HATES to pick apart the Steelers and I hate reading all the negative comments on the board in fact it makes me question the loyality of some of you.

BUT!!!!!!!

We need to call up REDMAN immediately.....I was so angry at our short yardage play last night and it's very clear that WILLIE and MOORE can't pound the rock for a yard. I would of liked to see MENDENHALL TRY because at least when he was in there he would fight his butt off for 2 yards.....

Willie seems to have LOST IT....several times there was an opening and he danced around instead of plowing in the HOLE.......MENDENHALL at least PLOWED and I know REDMAN would do EVERYTHING HE COULD to get that yard. I hated seeing this guy put on the PS to begin with because he seems to be the REAL DEAL for our short yardage problem.

I'm glad we pulled it out and once again BIG BEN is just truly amazing when the game is on the LINE!!!!!!

Another thing I liked is how they talked about BA!!!! How he said he wasn't going to RUIN ROETHLISBERGER like he did to another QB in his past. BA takes what he has and lets Big Ben roll with it and I like that.........did you also see STEFAN LOGAN on the field for offense??? We are trying to FIND OURSELVES and my hats off to BA for trying EVERYTHING at least ONCE last night. I truly appreciate and RESPECT that he tried many different things......

My 2 cents but we need REDMAN NOW!!!!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2009, 09:26 AM
We need a fullback. Adrian Peterson wouldn't average more than 3 yards per carry running being our line in a single back set every time.

frankthetank1
09-11-2009, 09:40 AM
a fb is definetly needed who can block. i like how they used mchugh in that role last season. time for david johnson maybe. i would rather see mendy in short yardage than fwp. at least with russell and redman or any big strong rb if they get hit in the backfield sometimes they can at least keep forward progress or shed a defender. when fwp gets hit before the los its a guarntee he will be losing yards

Mister Pittsburgh
09-11-2009, 09:45 AM
We need a fullback. Adrian Peterson wouldn't average more than 3 yards per carry running being our line in a single back set every time.

Yeah....so our FB can run into the backs of our offensive linemen or get jacked up in the backfield and then the RB can run into his back. We need to change the philosophy of our offense to match our personel instead of trying to run the same offense we did when we had a 280 pound RB....thats what we need to do.

Lets see.....
100 million dollar QB that moves the ball downfield with ease when in shotgun
bad run blocking offensive line - good pass blocking offensive line
2 superbowl MVP WR plus a 2nd and a 3rd rnd pick WR's
one pro bowl caliber pass catching tight end and a 6'7" pass catching tight end
2 of 3 running backs capable of catching the ball out of the backfield as a checkdown....

Yeah....lets gameplan to run it half the time like always....good plan.....1.6 ypc.

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2009, 09:52 AM

Yeah....so our FB can run into the backs of our offensive linemen or get jacked up in the backfield and then the RB can run into his back. We need to change the philosophy of our offense to match our personel instead of trying to run the same offense we did when we had a 280 pound RB....thats what we need to do.

Lets see.....
2 of 3 running backs capable of catching the ball out of the backfield as a checkdown....

Yeah....lets gameplan to run it half the time like always....good plan.....1.6 ypc.

Good pass blocking o-line? :shock:

I didn't say I want to run the ball constantly. I would just like them to use a damn fullback on 3rd and 1 instead of trying to run a stretch play out of a single back set time and time again.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-11-2009, 09:54 AM

Lets see.....

I didn't say I want to run the ball constantly. I would just like them to use a damn fullback on 3rd and 1 instead of trying to run a stretch play out of a single back set time and time again.

They did use one....he just dove at the linemens ankles though. And yeah, our line blocked great in the 4th qtr.

pfelix73
09-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Classifieds Ad in Pittsburgh Post Gazette this morning-

Wanted: experienced, fulltime- Fullback

Apply: Steelers HQ Southside.
Talk to someone named 'BA' or 'MT'

:tt2

frankthetank1
09-11-2009, 09:58 AM
[quote=RuthlessBurgher]We need a fullback. Adrian Peterson wouldn't average more than 3 yards per carry running being our line in a single back set every time.

Lets see.....

They did use one....he just dove at the linemens ankles though. And yeah, our line blocked great in the 4th qtr.[/quote:1s32bz6f]

the short quick passes definetly helped out the o-line but i agree the pass protection wasnt bad except for kearse's sack and the other sack in the first half that ben had no chance on. the sack ben took to lose the chance for a fg and another sack he held on too the ball for at least 6 or 7 seconds was on him. i'll take two sacks from ben when he has a game like that any day

Mel Blount's G
09-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Classifieds Ad in Pittsburgh Post Gazette this morning-

Wanted: experienced, fulltime- Fullback

Talk to someone named 'BA' or 'MT'

:tt2
As opposed to:

Wanted: experienced, fulltime- Offensive Coordinator

Talk to someone named MT
Experience/success in running a goal-line offense and/or short-yardage play calling preferred

:P :lol: :stirpot :P :lol: :stirpot :P :lol: :stirpot :P :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2009, 10:11 AM
[quote=RuthlessBurgher]We need a fullback. Adrian Peterson wouldn't average more than 3 yards per carry running being our line in a single back set every time.

Lets see.....

They did use one....he just dove at the linemens ankles though. And yeah, our line blocked great in the 4th qtr.[/quote:1scr6k3i]

I saw Summers out there twice...three times at the most. Every other time was a single back set or an empty backfield (except when Heath Miller went in motion and inexplicably ended up in the backfield in an offset I formation). There was no threat of a run whatsoever all game long. Why was D.J. Johnson active if they had no plans to use him? He was touted as the most violent blocker in camp. Use him how you used McHugh as a blocking FB last year.

LouSteel
09-11-2009, 10:16 AM
I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think this is our problem.

We have deficiencies throughout the running game. Our feature back relies on good blocking up front. Our fullback is a rookie trying to adjust to a new position. Our offensive line is struggling. And our offensive coordinator doesn't adjust the running game enough.

If we had one really strong area, we'd be better at rushing. If we had a strong OL, the back will improve automatically. If the back could fight through traffic, the OL would look better. And if we had an OC that would mix up the running calls -- rather than running up the gut every time -- we'd look better.

No one thing sucks on this team. We've just got a handful of weak areas that add up to give us poor rushing performance.

Ideally, I think the biggest improvement we can hope for is to work Moore and Mendy into the rotation more and hope that Frank the Tank develops as a FB. Fix any one of these areas and we start looking much better.

Mel Blount's G
09-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Very well said Lou. I'm kinda hoping that Mendenhall becomes that back who could, as you described, make our OL look a little better since all we can really hope for with the OL is the positive/accelerated development of Urbik and Hills (as well as FB Summers) and future pick-ups/drafts (I'm making a bold, frustrating, though very possibly an incorrect assumption that the rest of our OL have pretty muched reached their full potential). As far as our OC, I would comfortably gambit that Mr. Arians is here as long as he wants to be. Whether he can learn to adapt, adjust, rethink, retool and change some of his concepts and schemes of a running game and the corresponding plays, techniques and methods of executing those, well, we can remain hopeful. Though last year's lack of run game adjustments (not to mention last night's display), both within games and within the season itself, does not instill confidence in this common fan that BA can/will do it without serious intervention from higher up (i.e. Coach Tomlin)

Oviedo
09-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Some simple questions for the "Redman is the savior crowd."

1. Who do you cut to sign Redman from the practice squad?

2. Who do you deactivate so Redman can be active on game day?

3. Why do we think a guy who had a good preseason against guys who are now working at 7-11 would have been successful against one of the best run defenses in the NFL who sold out all game to stop the run.

The Titans bet that if they would force Ben to beat them through the air he couldn't. Guess what the losers lost the bet.

Get over this misplaced emotional affection for "Steelers football and Bettis ball." Bettis was a once in a decade back and he is gone. We can't do what we did with him without him and it has nothing to do with having a fullback. It is about having a 275lb running back with acceleration and quick feet. Bettis made very FB and OL look good and probably better than they were. He was just that special.

Instead of living in the past, consider whether we had such a sophisticated and evolved passing game just three years ago to make the comebacks we did last night and repeatedly last year. Hell no. Under Cowher and Whis they would have tried to get 3 yards at a time and put themseleves in 3rd and long and likely would have punted to the Titans and probably lost.

Our offense is designed to maximize the talent we have not what we use to have and what fans wish we had.

MeetJoeGreene
09-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Yup. We have the perfect storm.

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think this is our problem.

We have deficiencies throughout the running game. Our feature back relies on good blocking up front. Our fullback is a rookie trying to adjust to a new position. Our offensive line is struggling. And our offensive coordinator doesn't adjust the running game enough.

If we had one really strong area, we'd be better at rushing. If we had a strong OL, the back will improve automatically. If the back could fight through traffic, the OL would look better. And if we had an OC that would mix up the running calls -- rather than running up the gut every time -- we'd look better.

No one thing sucks on this team. We've just got a handful of weak areas that add up to give us poor rushing performance.

Ideally, I think the biggest improvement we can hope for is to work Moore and Mendy into the rotation more and hope that Frank the Tank develops as a FB. Fix any one of these areas and we start looking much better.

jj28west
09-11-2009, 11:32 AM
I dont have a DVR but in the obvious 3rd and one scenarios did the Titans stack the box? I remember Ben's either 1st or second season where the Pats* basically dared him to throw and put 8+ guys at the line and even the Bus was hitting a wall. I'll admit that it sure does help if you knew the cadence or what we were going to run.

Shoe
09-11-2009, 11:33 AM
The jist of what he is saying is that something must be done. This is not a one-game situation...
We've suffered through this "run game" for going on two years now. FWP is NOT the dynamic game-breaker he was in '06-'07 (and as a result, he is pedestrian at best; because his other attributes are average at best.) Mendenhall could be an '06-'07 Parker, but like that Parker, he needs a hole (and in Mendenhall's case I think) a gaping hole.
Sadly, Mewelde is clearly the best option, cuz he knows how to squeeze out an extra yard here and there.

Doogie36
09-11-2009, 11:51 AM

3. Why do we think a guy who had a good preseason against guys who are now working at 7-11 would have been successful against one of the best run defenses in the NFL who sold out all game to stop the run.

The Titans bet that if they would force Ben to beat them through the air he couldn't. Guess what the losers lost the bet.

Get over this misplaced emotional affection for "Steelers football and Bettis ball." Bettis was a once in a decade back and he is gone. We can't do what we did with him without him and it has nothing to do with having a fullback. It is about having a 275lb running back with acceleration and quick feet. Bettis made very FB and OL look good and probably better than they were. He was just that special.

Instead of living in the past, consider whether we had such a sophisticated and evolved passing game just three years ago to make the comebacks we did last night and repeatedly last year. Hell no. Under Cowher and Whis they would have tried to get 3 yards at a time and put themseleves in 3rd and long and likely would have punted to the Titans and probably lost.

Our offense is designed to maximize the talent we have not what we use to have and what fans wish we had.

Who really cares who we cut....lets get this guy on the FIELD.

Remember the EAGLES LAST YEAR???? They lost 2 games I believe because they couldnt get into the endzone from 1 yard. Theres NO SECRET FORMULA for POUNDING THE ROCK 1 YARD. We had RUSSELL last year...(WHO THE HELL IS RUSSELL??) He's a big back who could get 1 yard.......SIMPLE.........We need that guy for that situation....We have speciality areas and this one speciality area we need to FIX. Every team needs to pound the ROCK 1 YARD once in awhile.........Its the difference between winning and losing as the EAGLES found out last year......They almost missed the playoffs and those 2 games could of been HUGE for them.....every game and EVERY YARD matters in football.

REDMAN scored on our 1st team offense in practice....if that can happen then it can happen against the TITANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mendenhall was even stopped a few times in the backfield and still banged a yard.......LETS GET THIS DONE!!!!!!!!!

I believe it will happen

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2009, 12:24 PM

I'm not longing for Bettis Ball. I don't want us to be using the I-formation on first down all the time. I simply want an effective short yardage running game. I think using an actual blocking fullback in those particular situations would be better than 2 TE's and a single back. Tomlin is a smart guy and understands situational football, but we don't seem to have an answer for what to do in those particular situations right now (Arians "I will never have a fullback" pronouncement last week was particularly discouraging and shows a lack of adjustment to certain situations that you will see multiple times in every single game). Ben throwing a quick slant to Santonio is not the long term solution in short yardage situations (ask Kurt Warner what can happen when he attempted a quick slant to Boldin at the goal line in the Super Bowl).

We were in short yardage situations numerous times last night (not on the goal line, but there were several 3rd and 1's or 3rd and 2's) and I had absolutely no confidence whatsoever in the ability of our running game to get a yard or two in those situations. We've improved our punt game and improved our return game and I applaud that. But our short yardage running game has actually seemed to have taken a step backward, and that is remarkable since our short yardage game wasn't really any good last year either. The time will come when we need to punch it into the end zone and are unable to, with the difference between that potential TD and the short FG we have to settle for being the difference between a win and a loss.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-11-2009, 12:42 PM

I'm not longing for Bettis Ball. I don't want us to be using the I-formation on first down all the time. I simply want an effective short yardage running game. I think using an actual blocking fullback in those particular situations would be better than 2 TE's and a single back. Tomlin is a smart guy and understands situational football, but we don't seem to have an answer for what to do in those particular situations right now (Arians "I will never have a fullback" pronouncement last week was particularly discouraging and shows a lack of adjustment to certain situations that you will see multiple times in every single game). Ben throwing a quick slant to Santonio is not the long term solution in short yardage situations (ask Kurt Warner what can happen when he attempted a quick slant to Boldin at the goal line in the Super Bowl).

We were in short yardage situations numerous times last night (not on the goal line, but there were several 3rd and 1's or 3rd and 2's) and I had absolutely no confidence whatsoever in the ability of our running game to get a yard or two in those situations. We've improved our punt game and improved our return game and I applaud that. But our short yardage running game has actually seemed to have taken a step backward, and that is remarkable since our short yardage game wasn't really any good last year either. The time will come when we need to punch it into the end zone and are unable to, with the difference between that potential TD and the short FG we have to settle for being the difference between a win and a loss.

3rd & 1.....what would tom brady and the pats do to us on 3rd and 1? would they bring in some big FB with a RB behind him to drive the ball through the line? Hell No they wouldn't and that is why they kicked our behinds! They would line Kevin Faulk up as a single back, have him run a swing pass out in the flat and beat the LB or closing CB to the 1st down marker. Or, they would look at which CB was crapping themselves and giving a 10 yard cushion on 3rd and 1 and throw a quick out for 1 yard. They actually trust their franchise QB and let their skill players make plays! Imagine that!

Snatch98
09-11-2009, 01:15 PM
One game in and a WIN against the Titans and we're already calling up Redman the scrub warrior? Mendenhall needs more carries and he'll show he's the runner we need. Period. He wasn't able to establish any sort of rhythm with 5 carries and the Titan run d is very stout. Redman would have been stone walled like the rest and as others have said who do we cut to bring Redman up? I can't think of anyone truly expendable when we have Parker, Mendenhall, Moore and Summers. Do you cut summers? Redman can't play full back?

Either way it's way to early to call for anyone. The answer is Mendenall with more carries. The "hate" on him is hilarious. He has constant leg drive, good vision, moves to make guys miss and he's a physical runner. He got 5 CARRIES against the Titans. Mendenhall is the answer. The end.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Am I remembering wrong, or was Redman running over the Panthers starting defense for good yardage? I don't remember him going down on arm tackles.

Oviedo
09-11-2009, 01:44 PM
One game in and a WIN against the Titans and we're already calling up Redman the scrub warrior? Mendenhall needs more carries and he'll show he's the runner we need. Period. He wasn't able to establish any sort of rhythm with 5 carries and the Titan run d is very stout. Redman would have been stone walled like the rest and as others have said who do we cut to bring Redman up? I can't think of anyone truly expendable when we have Parker, Mendenhall, Moore and Summers. Do you cut summers? Redman can't play full back?

Either way it's way to early to call for anyone. The answer is Mendenall with more carries. The "hate" on him is hilarious. He has constant leg drive, good vision, moves to make guys miss and he's a physical runner. He got 5 CARRIES against the Titans. Mendenhall is the answer. The end.

Even when hit in the backfield Mendy was able to generate forward momentum. I agree that he is the answer once he gets his legs under him.

Snatch98
09-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Am I remembering wrong, or was Redman running over the Panthers starting defense for good yardage? I don't remember him going down on arm tackles.

haha the starters hardly played in the panther game if i remember correctly. Redman is not the answer people, not even close.

Vindrow
09-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Not defending Summers here, but I can't think of any FB that could do anything with that craptastic O-Line of ours...our RB's were getting hit in the backfield more often than not simply because our O-Line couldn't block them to save their lives.

Doogie36
09-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Once Mendenhall figures out his RIGHT and LEFT then he could be the answer but REDMAN goes FWD....WE need 1 freakin yard.......again this isnt ROCKET SCIENCE.

Lets at least give the guy a chance. We tried MOORE and PARKER and they BOMBED this year and last year. Mendenhall hurt himself by looking LOST OUT ON THE FIELD. He wasnt even sure if he should stay in the game at one point. LETS MAKE THIS EASY....hey REDMAN if we need 2 yards or LESS you are in the game.

It wouldnt hurt to give this guy a shot.......We could make the same arguments about LOGAN and how he excelled against backup special team players or guys trying to make the team and that's why he did so good. We weren't saying that last night when he took it to the 40 on the opening kick off. REDMAN proved he can move the pile and that he will FIGHT HIS BUTT OFF.....WILLIE STOPS and MOORE TRIES TO SNEAK.....we need a POUNDER!!!!!! It's really that simple and the only options we have are MENDENHALL or REDMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2009, 02:52 PM
3rd & 1.....what would tom brady and the pats do to us on 3rd and 1? would they bring in some big FB with a RB behind him to drive the ball through the line? Hell No they wouldn't and that is why they kicked our behinds! They would line Kevin Faulk up as a single back, have him run a swing pass out in the flat and beat the LB or closing CB to the 1st down marker. Or, they would look at which CB was crapping themselves and giving a 10 yard cushion on 3rd and 1 and throw a quick out for 1 yard. They actually trust their franchise QB and let their skill players make plays! Imagine that!

Don't care what Tom Brady would do. Since when he that the gold standard here? Last I checked, we won 2 of the last 4 Super Bowls, and Brady wasn't won one during that time period while they were trying to break scoring records. The last time they won a Super Bowl, they won it with Corey Dillon converting 3rd and 1's, not a Moss-Welker aerial show (remember, the WR's during their Super Bowl years were the likes of Troy Brown and Deion Branch).

I absolutely trust our QB 100%, but a complete team needs to be able to run the ball. If you can just blast the ball up the gut for a few yards in short yardage situations, why would you bother with swing passes in the flat in those times? A consistent run threat would also force the opposition to respect that facet of the game, thereby giving us the option of using play-action (which doesn't work when your running game is no threat).

Jigawatts
09-11-2009, 03:04 PM
I say replace Frank the Tank with Redman and use Johnson as a fullback when needed.

All you're doing is replacing a one trick pony (Tank) with another one trick pony (Redman).

Frank Summers has shown nothing so far other than he can completely whiff on blocks.

Redman has shown he can be a short yardage back, albeit in pre season.

Why have Summers on the roster when you can use Johnson for blocking purposes?

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2009, 03:09 PM
I say replace Frank the Tank with Redman and use Johnson as a fullback when needed.

All you're doing is replacing a one trick pony (Tank) with another one trick pony (Redman).

Frank Summers has shown nothing so far other than he can completely whiff on blocks.

Not to mention that Johnson has shown himself to be a far superior blocker to Summers during camp.

frankthetank1
09-11-2009, 03:23 PM

exactly what i think should happen as well. how summers made the team over redman and over johnson as a fb is beyond me

Discipline of Steel
09-11-2009, 05:42 PM

Thats all good and I agree. However, it does not preclude us from having a 'heavy' package that we can go to on 3rd short or goal to go scenarios. Get the big receivers in there. Our TEs can block. Tank and Mendy in the backfield. Tank and Parker in the backfield. Parker and Mendy, I dont care, try some new things to get out of the rut.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-11-2009, 08:51 PM
I don't care if Redman IS one-dimensional...When you need a yard, and you have someone who can get a yard, you PUT HIM IN. He can learn the other stuff just as well as Summers.

Redman should have been on this 53-man roster, and Johnson ought to be the blocking fullback.

I like Tank, but we need short yardage help NOW, and Redman offers our best solution to the problem.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-11-2009, 09:06 PM
I don't care if Redman IS one-dimensional...When you need a yard, and you have someone who can get a yard, you PUT HIM IN. He can learn the other stuff just as well as Summers.

Redman should have been on this 53-man roster, and Johnson ought to be the blocking fullback.

I like Tank, but we need short yardage help NOW, and Redman offers our best solution to the problem.

I agree. Tank was in the tub all camp while Redman showed up and ran hard every preseason game......and one WAS against the Panthers starting defense and he was still gaining positive yardage. Dude runs hard, and I like that. Parker and Mendy try to dance the jitterbug while Redman twists, turns, and breaks tackles. I would like to see a Redman Mendenhall, Moore stable of backs. Parker can't get it done....too one dimensional and too many injuries to the legs.

I can't wait for Willie to rip off over 100 yards against Cincy so everyone can say he still has it.

stlrz d
09-11-2009, 09:09 PM
I almost wish the Steelers would call him up...just so yinz can see that he wouldn't be able to do it either...against what we faced last night.

Then we lose someone who was cut and people will cry about that.

papillon
09-11-2009, 09:12 PM

You are 100% correct, but at some point this year the Steelers are going to have to figure out how to gain 80-85 yards on the ground against the Titans and Ravens. It is likely that we will play each of them in the playoffs this year, provided the Steelers beat the team we play first and they make the playoffs.

So, as of right now, they have 16 weeks plus the week off for being a #1 or #2 seed to figure that out; otherwise, it could be a short playoff run.

Pappy

NorthCoast
09-11-2009, 09:16 PM
I am a fan who HATES to pick apart the Steelers and I hate reading all the negative comments on the board in fact it makes me question the loyality of some of you.

BUT!!!!!!!

We need to call up REDMAN immediately.....I was so angry at our short yardage play last night and it's very clear that WILLIE and MOORE can't pound the rock for a yard. I would of liked to see MENDENHALL TRY because at least when he was in there he would fight his butt off for 2 yards.....

Willie seems to have LOST IT....several times there was an opening and he danced around instead of plowing in the HOLE.......MENDENHALL at least PLOWED and I know REDMAN would do EVERYTHING HE COULD to get that yard. I hated seeing this guy put on the PS to begin with because he seems to be the REAL DEAL for our short yardage problem.

I'm glad we pulled it out and once again BIG BEN is just truly amazing when the game is on the LINE!!!!!!

Another thing I liked is how they talked about BA!!!! How he said he wasn't going to RUIN ROETHLISBERGER like he did to another QB in his past. BA takes what he has and lets Big Ben roll with it and I like that.........did you also see STEFAN LOGAN on the field for offense??? We are trying to FIND OURSELVES and my hats off to BA for trying EVERYTHING at least ONCE last night. I truly appreciate and RESPECT that he tried many different things......

My 2 cents but we need REDMAN NOW!!!!!!!

uhh, lighten up Francis.....