PDA

View Full Version : Quote of the Night -- James Harrison

Iron Shiek
09-11-2009, 08:56 AM
If I can find a link to the clip I will post it, but Harrison was being interviewed on Sirius NFL Radio last night after the game by Jim Miller and another personality they have. One of the last questions was about his feelings of going into overtime and the offense getting the ball.

I took my tape off. My quarterback said he was going to win us the game so I took my tape off and watched.

It was something to that affect. I loved hearing that.

proudpittsburgher
09-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Agreed, especially James. He comes off as the type of guy who isn't really all that close to anyone, including teammates. It's nice to hear that out of him. I like the "my quarterback" comment from a defensive player. I LOVE how this team comes together. A bit off topic . . . Ben still protects his offensive line first and foremost, but name me another quarterback in the league, of consequence anyway, who takes more of a backseat and goes out of his way to praise ALL of his teammates. I especially loved what I heard for the first time last night, when Michaels and Collinsworth mentioned that Ben even went as far as appologizing to his o-line because of the fact that they take a bad rap (I don't agree, I think some of it is deserved) for his holding on to the ball too long. Best leader in football right now, No. 7.

SidSmythe
09-11-2009, 09:19 AM
That is classic right there!!

Mel Blount's G
09-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Agreed, especially James. He comes off as the type of guy who isn't really all that close to anyone, including teammates. It's nice to hear that out of him. I like the "my quarterback" comment from a defensive player. I LOVE how this team comes together.
I never got that "not close to teammates" feeling about James. Quite the opposite: I think he is like family-tight with his teammates. Also, I think he has become a great and respected leader for this team ala Ray Ray for the Ravens. But Deebo's leadership style is obviously waaaay different (and preferred by moi) then that overrated dancing, piling on, stat-padded chump shaped like spongebob over in New Cleveland aka Baltimore. For James to say he was tearing off the tape because HIS qb told them he was gonna take one possession and finish the game is HUGE. Don't think for a second that his statement and attitude weren't meant to role model unshakeable confidence in Ben and the offense to his teammates who no doubt prick up their ears when James speaks.

Of course the other no-less-significant half of that equation is BEN'S leadership. We all know it\s not the first time Ben has, what seems to us, simply decided he would drive the length of the field and score points. Ben can say he will win the game with authority because the man has done it enough times; if Ben says the game is soon to end because he's getting the ball, the league's defensive MVP accepts it as divine fact

proudpittsburgher
09-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Agreed, especially James. He comes off as the type of guy who isn't really all that close to anyone, including teammates. It's nice to hear that out of him. I like the "my quarterback" comment from a defensive player. I LOVE how this team comes together.
I never got that "not close to teammates" feeling about James. Quite the opposite: I think he is like family-tight with his teammates. Also, I think he has become a great and respected leader for this team ala Ray Ray for the Ravens. But Deebo's leadership style is obviously waaaay different (and preferred by moi) then that overrated dancing, piling on, stat-padded chump shaped like spongebob over in New Cleveland aka Baltimore. For James to say he was tearing off the tape because HIS qb told them he was gonna take one possession and finish the game is HUGE. Don't think for a second that his statement and attitude weren't meant to role model unshakeable confidence in Ben and the offense to his teammates who no doubt prick up their ears when James speaks.

Of course the other no-less-significant half of that equation is BEN'S leadership. We all know it\s not the first time Ben has, what seems to us, simply decided he would drive the length of the field and score points. Ben can say he will win the game with authority because the man has done it enough times; if Ben says the game is soon to end because he's getting the ball, the league's defensive MVP accepts it as divine fact

I believe you, mel. I never really thought he was a total outcast, it's just his personality tend to lend more toward the loner moniker. I see him joking around on occasion. Either way, I loved hearign this about him.

NWNewell
09-11-2009, 10:26 AM
I don't think this quote/subject can be underscored enough.

Speaks volumes about the team. Harrison is an under spoken no non-sense player. You know that wasn't a stunt. He believed that with every fiber of his being.

PS Harrison is not a loner. he is very close with this team, especially the front defensive unit. It's a family. But he's not outgoing to people "outside" the family. So we just don't see it.

Mel Blount's G
09-11-2009, 10:54 AM

I believe you, mel. I never really thought he was a total outcast, it's just his personality tend to lend more toward the loner moniker. I see him joking around on occasion. Either way, I loved hearign this about him.
Absolutely PP! His personality is certainly not the laughing, goofy, dancing, posing Joey Porter-type. Though I do think his chuck norris poker face is somewhat contrived in front of a camera (see that Deion Sanders interview from last year), I do NOT think it is contrived on the field. I think the man brings his lunch pail to work and is all bidness on gameday. But from the very little behind the scenes footage I've seen of him with his teammates (see that espn video/photo shoot youtube vid from last year) he does joke and clown around (with the lb's and dl's especially)

skyhawk
09-11-2009, 01:35 PM
I love his quote.

And come on guys, Greg Lloyd wasn't hired for his disposition! :lol:

proudpittsburgher
09-11-2009, 02:55 PM
I love his quote.

And come on guys, Greg Lloyd wasn't hired for his disposition! :lol:

Loved me some G Lloyd. Peezy had the same attitude, but I never thought of him as mean. Harrison, yea, G lloyd reincarnated. :tt1 :tt1

stlrz d
09-11-2009, 08:44 PM
I also read somewhere that Ben told a ballboy to get his hat. When the ballboy asked why, Ben said something to the effect of, "Because when we score and win this game I want to cover up my sweaty head while I talk to Andrea Kramer!"

When asked what the ballboy did, Ben said, "He got my hat."

:lol: