PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts

flippy
09-11-2009, 08:19 AM
1. Is Mewelde our best RB? Should he be the starter? I say yes. MM > FWP > Mendy

2. WHo else thought that first kickoff was going to the house? Our ST did a nice job early in establishing great field position. It was a shame we didn't capitalize.

3. Lots of rookies played roles. I felt like I saw Tank for the first time. Too bad he blocks worse than Carey Davis. Nice clutch catch by Wallace.

4. Troy was in the probowl by the end of the 1st quarter. He was an animal. Too bad he got hurt. But on the flip side, we'll get some great experience for our backups.

5. Should Chris Hoke start? Mawae was having his way with Hampton up front. But then Hoke came in and abused him. It's kinda sad, but I think Casey may be done. Although he did get in on some plays. But he's just not the anchor he once was. The effort is there.

6. Chris Collinsworth isn't that bad. He usually annoys me. But not so much last night.

7. Should we switch to a run and gun offense. Four wides as our base package?

8. Do we have the best worst OLine in football. Sometimes we look adequate, but other times we look awful.

9. What's with our running game?

10. Can our wide receivers get separation without Ben having to pump fake? Ben is truly a 1 man show out there on offense.

11. Could this be the year Keisel establishes himself as our best DLineman?

12. Heath Miller is on pace for 128 catches this season. Ben's on pace for 5800 yards passing.

13. Big Ben is a living legend. I'd take him in the 4th quarter over any QB in history. Ben is clutch. I have this feeling every game is going to be a nail biter all season long.

14. Is Mike Tomlin the greatest thing since sliced bread. He just keeps getting better. And his impact is being seen on his team. All the players are on the same page.

15. This team is not only going to win back to back SuperBowls, we're gonna be the first to 3 peat.

flippy
09-11-2009, 08:26 AM
16. Should we have kicked the 30+ yard FG in overtime or should we have continued running a couple more offensive plays? That's a long kick at Heinz Field imho. It was no gimme.

Iron Shiek
09-11-2009, 08:29 AM
I don't agree all the players are on the same page. It seemed we needed another preseason game for some of the crap going on. Lets get these stupid illegal procedure penalties and missed assignments or wrong routes or having only 10 men on the field out of our system week 1 hopefully.

That stuff should not be happening. The lights are on. Buckle your chinstraps and get ready.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-11-2009, 08:35 AM
As just a fan and not a connosseuir of the expert details of the game, but also as one who stayed up till 1AM watching it taped because we had a school conference, I'll beg forgiveness ahead of time for the rambling, uneducated nature of my remarks

1. Is Mewelde our best RB? Should he be the starter? I say yes. MM > FWP > Mendy
It seemed to me that FWP sucked last night, but also that all our RBs sucked last night. So I don't know if I can rank these guys yet. What is it about our line that they do such a bad job run blocking (but adequate to OK/good at times pass blocking)?

2. WHo else thought that first kickoff was going to the house? Our ST did a nice job early in establishing great field position. It was a shame we didn't capitalize.

3. Lots of rookies played roles. I felt like I saw Tank for the first time. Too bad he blocks worse than Carey Davis. Nice clutch catch by Wallace.
"Wallace Woooo-hoo"!

4. Troy was in the probowl by the end of the 1st quarter. He was an animal. Too bad he got hurt. But on the flip side, we'll get some great experience for our backups.
I still feel sick about that play. I had to turn my head for each and every replay where his knee got bent. I've only seen it once to date, and I hope it stays that way.

5. Should Chris Hoke start? Mawae was having his way with Hampton up front. But then Hoke came in and abused him. It's kinda sad, but I think Casey may be done. Although he did get in on some plays. But he's just not the anchor he once was. The effort is there.
I was wondering the same thing, but another way to look at it is that Big Snack wore Mawae down for 3+ quarters, and then Hoke just cleaned up. Mawae is kind of ancient, and being the 1st game of the year, he was probably sucking air pretty hard by the 4th quarter.

6. Chris Collinsworth isn't that bad. He usually annoys me. But not so much last night.
I remember when I thought he was a :Hater . He does seem to like the Men of Steel lately. Still, once a Bungle/always a Bungle, so unfortunately for him he will always be a waste of gravity!

7. Should we switch to a run and gun offense. Four wides as our base package?
Yes, if Ben promises to throw the ball away really quickly if it even smells like jail break when he's got nobody back to block for him!

8. Do we have the best worst OLine in football. Sometimes we look adequate, but other times we look awful.

9. What's with our running game?

10. Can our wide receivers get separation without Ben having to pump fake? Ben is truly a 1 man show out there on offense.

11. Could this be the year Keisel establishes himself as our best DLineman?

12. Heath Miller is on pace for 128 catches this season. Ben's on pace for 5800 yards passing.

13. Big Ben is a living legend. I'd take him in the 4th quarter over any QB in history. Ben is clutch. I have this feeling every game is going to be a nail biter all season long.

14. Is Mike Tomlin the greatest thing since sliced bread. He just keeps getting better. And his impact is being seen on his team. All the players are on the same page.

15. This team is not only going to win back to back SuperBowls, we're gonna be the first to 3 peat.
Woooooooo! :tt1 :tt1 :tt2 :tt2

Ghost
09-11-2009, 09:12 AM
- The pressure on Collins in the first half was abysmal

- Apparrently they are NEVER going to call holding when Harrison rushes - he gets tackled with an arm around his neck right in front of the ref and it's not called (but a great block by Starks on the series before that does...)

- The Steelers MUST have one F@#%ing play in the entire playbook that can pick up 1 yard on 3rd and 1. Possibly the most frustrating thing all night. @#$%!!

- You simply cannot take a 19 yard sack that takes you out of FG range. I love what Ben does but that's indefensible.

- Kudos to Hoke for getting his helmet back on in a nano second (don't take it off to begin with you lunk head...)

- Think any other teams will only rush 3 and "dare" Ben to beat them?

- I thinbk the Steelers could be 6-1 heading into their bye week.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Starks is earning his pay check. That was a terrible holding call on him. Clearly or best OL. Colon had a solid outing too. Essex better improve quickly. He got beat off his punch several times in pass protection and one directly resulted in a sack. Essex needs to improve in his run blocking recognition. He needs to be more decisive. It cost them dearly in the run game. Hopefully it comes with some playing time. But Urbik & Foster better stay loose. I don't see them waiting too long for Essex to get comfortable. Kemo had a couple guys beat him off his punch. Come on Kemo...Move your feet! Lazy first game. Hartwig was good in pass but wiffed on some run blocks. I would say the run game suffered from some poor plays by the interior guys. Again, game 1 against a really good defensive front. Running against 7 & 8 in the box is tough against an average defense.

On the flip side, the great running attack of the Titans was held in check. Johnson's great speed and cut back ability acounted for 32 of his yards on one play alone. I would say it was held in check. I thought they should have blitzed Collins more. Even without Troy, they had them covered. Collins success came when we rushed 3 & 4 and gave him all day to throw. I think there was in the range of 4-6 throw aways. That is basicly the difference from Ben and the sacks compared to Collins. Ben would try to move and make something happen rather than throw it away. I wouldn't change a thing. Too many big plays come when he does that...I will take the sacks.

Liked the young guys. Wallace and Mundy showed they could be counted on to contribute. Summers needs some reps but I believe he will be fine. Ziggy looked good in the rotation. Gay looks like he will be solid. Would have liked to see Sweed more. Hopefully it comes next week. Mendenhall didn't have much room but he runs angry. Good sign.

Fox played well in Timmons spot. Interested to see what they do with Troy down for several weeks. Hope they don't move a player off the roster to pick up a S. Mundy should be the primary and Townsend & Ratliff (He will be active now) could secure the emergency S spot.

If Redman is on the PS and 3rd & short doesn't improve...I hope Arians goes to 3 wide/1 TE on 3rd & short. They seem to have more success running out of this formation and getting some "big ugglies" off the field on defense. I like my chances of Moore in the flats or Miller in a release pattern than I do in the jumbo package running it. When the OL comes together and it gets fixed...Then go back. But this will keep the DC scheming more and help the Steelers in goaline too. Sometimes the best plays for "down & distance" are discovered by compensating for your inefficiencies. I'm sure there is a whole playbook in Arians head not even opened for passing on 3rd & short. Open it.

phillyesq
09-11-2009, 10:41 AM

- I really enjoyed watching Logan. He is a real weapon. Very exciting. He will make a big difference in the field position game this year.

- Tank was disappointing, no doubt, but I'm not going to give up on him after one game. Hopefully he improves. I really liked what I saw from Wallace.

- That was great analysis by Collinsworth breaking down those plays. Mawae is no slouch, so I'm not going to write off Big Snack just yet. Hoke made a great play.

- I started to like him when he was on inside the NFL, and I thought he did a great job last night. He has some great insight, and is pretty easy to listen to.

- It was great to see Heath so involved. In the absence of a running game, the short passing game to Heath is a wonderful way to safely move the ball.

- I was never more confident than after the Titans took the lead.

A few observations of my own:

- Willie Colon played a very solid game last night. From what I saw, he appeared to be the Steelers best offensive lineman last night. I never thought I'd say that.

- Great to have Sepulveda back.

- I really like this group of WRs. I don't think there is any drop off from the absence of Nate Washington.

- The LBs, as expected, looked great. I wouldn't mind seeing Fox continue to get some plays on first and second down, just so that the Steelers can bring in a fresh Timmons on third down.

Djfan
09-11-2009, 10:55 AM
His helmet was knocked off. Kudos to the refs for seeing it wasn't taunting.

No one who preps defenses doubts Ben can steal a win at anytime.

Who will the one loss be to? The next few teams are not a good as Tenn.

[quote]I'm sure there is a whole playbook in Arians head not even opened for passing on 3rd & short. Open it.

IDK, JPN. That may be giving him too much credit.

I just don't like the guy. Sorry.

AngryAsian
09-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Asian Observation-

Mewelde Moore is our best back... if you're playing our best formation - NO HUDDLE. He gives us our best option to win. Our line isn't great creating holes, but they were solid last night pass protecting, and when things weren't developing down field, it was Heath or Moore that were sure handed with the dump off passes. Something to keep in mind, a pass out in the flat could be just as effective as a running game, and even more effective if you can't run against a certain team.

Wisdom on the FO's part to say buy to Nate. Wallace stepped up big last night running routes and making a clutch catch in the end. I think our receiving corps will be great this season and his contributions will most definitely be felt.

NO HUDDLE- no problem. This should be our base offense. Who can stop us? Ben is at his most comfortable and most efficient. It keeps defenses from refreshing and will get them gassed, which will be an advantage during the later stages of the game. The line looked great last night, save a couple of lapsed blocking assignments.

We need Redman called up from the PS. Our short yardage situation is abysmal.

FWP will lose his starting job.

I'm ****ting eggrolls about Troy's injury. He is so pivotal for our defense to run efficiently. How can you replace a talent like that. That tackle on Johnson in the backfield for a loss having to close a fourteen yard gap? That was just sick. I can't even touch on how phenomenal that one-handed INT was. It looks like Troy took up wear he left off last season. He quite possibly has the best athleticism for a defensive player I have ever seen. And watching nearly four decades of this team play football... that's a testament.

papillon
09-11-2009, 11:02 AM
16. Should we have kicked the 30+ yard FG in overtime or should we have continued running a couple more offensive plays? That's a long kick at Heinz Field imho. It was no gimme.

Here's the answer to that question: You can't ice psycho -- Mike Tomlin

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-11-2009, 12:20 PM
[quote="Ghost- Kudos to Hoke for getting his helmet back on in a nano second (don't take it off to begin with you lunk head...)

His helmet was knocked off. Kudos to the refs for seeing it wasn't taunting.

No one who preps defenses doubts Ben can steal a win at anytime.

Who will the one loss be to? The next few teams are not a good as Tenn.

I'm sure there is a whole playbook in Arians head not even opened for passing on 3rd & short. Open it.

IDK, JPN. That may be giving him too much credit.

I just don't like the guy. Sorry.[/quote]

You could be right. But I think it is time to find out!!! Our short yardage problems have been there since Arians took over. I think the 3rd year should be long enough to adapt to the problem. I understand Tomlin & Co. want to stick to the plan and establish a running game. I'm OK with that. However, moving the chains should set priority over that on 3rd down. If you don't have success in a game you should have a back-up in place. It has been 2 full years & starting the 3rd. I think they need to open that playbook that is labeled, "3rd & Short against a stout defense." Try it 3 or 4 times against the Bengals & Browns. Might need a different strategy against the Ravens & Titans.

feltdizz
09-11-2009, 03:02 PM
- The pressure on Collins in the first half was abysmal

true, but i think Fisher knows how to attack our D better then most

- Apparrently they are NEVER going to call holding when Harrison rushes - he gets tackled with an arm around his neck right in front of the ref and it's not called (but a great block by Starks on the series before that does...)

- The Steelers MUST have one F@#%ing play in the entire playbook that can pick up 1 yard on 3rd and 1. Possibly the most frustrating thing all night. @#$%!!

- You simply cannot take a 19 yard sack that takes you out of FG range. I love what Ben does but that's indefensible.

- Kudos to Hoke for getting his helmet back on in a nano second (don't take it off to begin with you lunk head...)

it actually popped off when he was getting up.. it wasn't done on purpose

some will, its damn hard to blitz Ben all night cause he kills them doing that too

I think 5-2 if our rushing game doesn't improve