PDA

View Full Version : The positives

Oviedo
09-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Readinfg some of these posts today i would think we lost last night. Does anyone remember that the Titans were 13-3 last year and have one of the deepest defensive lines in the NFL and other Pro Bowl players on defense at LB and DB?

Yea the running game looked bad but the Titans had 8 in the box and were continually running run blitzes the entire night. The offense did exactly what they should have done, they adjusted and went to a quick passing game and ate a very good defense alive.

I'll also point out what I have been saying for three years. Ley ben run a quick pass, dink and dunk offense and the guy is unsptoppable. This team has so many weapons in the passing game they are going to be tough to stop.

Our defense will be as great as last year even with the loss of Troy. Troy's loss could cost us a game that we normally one because teams with good passing games will challenge the secondary. As predicted, the refs ARE NOT going to call holding but Woodley and Harrison still pressured the QB.

Overall I think the loss of Troy may take a 13-3 team to 12-4 but this is a great team.

What are your positives. No "chicken littles" please.

frankthetank1
09-11-2009, 07:59 AM
thank you for this thread. it does make me feel a little better. sep was a big positive. with him back and this defense we will be tough to beat. the offense has so many weapons, i loved seeing heath used a lot last night. mike wallace had a huge catch. we have a much better group of wr's this year. i was very impressed with the run defense, i was worried about johnson. with the exception of one or two runs they did a great job. the pass defense and running game has to improve. the o-line all in all played great. at least in protecting ben they were great. 2 of the 3 sacks were bens fault. no o-line can block for 6 or 7 seconds without someone getting through

jj28west
09-11-2009, 08:30 AM
I thought that Ben, the TE's receivers, & Moore were on the same page for the most part. Take away a couple off target passes (like the underthrows to Wallace and Moore and we looked pretty damn crisp.

Completely forgot about SEP but as many of you said he really helped with field position in a defensive battle.

Not for nothing but the Titans are not a cupcake defense against the run/pass so you have to be happy with around 400 yds total offense. I honestly do not know why they did not dial more blitzes but maybe they wanted to give up hards in smaller chunks then being burned deep.

Iron Shiek
09-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Yeah, Flippy mentioned several positives in his Random Thoughts thread. A couple being Mewelde (freaking!) Moore. That guy is simply outstanding.

Another was, like you mentioned, some rookies coming up big. And I agree, lets get these guys some playing time.

Sepulveda was mentioned. He had a pro bowl punting night.

Oviedo, you also mentioned the biggest one. And I was all set to come on here and proclaim us a passing team once again, like 2 years ago. I am not opposed to that type of offense you mention (dink and dunk), sprinkle in the run where it is effective and just let Ben do his thing.

And also the no huddle was outstanding for us last night. That broke the Titans in the end.

proudpittsburgher
09-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Positives were abundant in this game, but it seems as if 1 negative outweights 10 positives on message boards.

Fact is, the defense had a horrible series after losing troy, and rightfully so since you can't plan for that, but they adjusted and played very solid after that first drive. They adjusted quickly.

Fact is, After Ben's first pick, a very bad one, and him taking at least two very bad sacks, he did what we have come to expect out of him, actually leading two come-from- behind game winning drives against a very good defense (Ward cancelled out the first one).

Fact is, we flat out couldn't run the ball, and Tennessee knew it, BUT WE STILL PASSED ON THEM. There are very few teaqms out there who could have one aspect of their game completely shut down, and still move the ball.

There are positives fellas. Not every team is perfect in every game.

MeetJoeGreene
09-11-2009, 08:53 AM
We found a way to win.

Despite blowing some big scoring opportunities (underthrow to Wallace, Hines fumble), we pulled it out against a pretty good team.

Special teams were good.

Wallace could be special.

I am not going to bash the run, but merely state that if we can't -- then we can't. Let's go 4 wide and no huddle and exploit those strenghts.

papillon
09-11-2009, 09:04 AM
I can't identify the positives without also mentioning what was bad.

Positives

Ben lives for the big moment and believes he will not fail, he's the best quarterback in the league right now.

Holmes is going to be spectacular this year; he can't be covered

Ward is a warrior; always was and always will be, no problem with the fumble at all

Heath Miller is the best TE in the game; targeted 8 times and 8 catches, that demoralizes a defense

Mewelde Moore is a tool that Arians uses as good as can possibly be expected

Tyrone Carter gets some props from me he replaced the best SS in the game and except for one drive he was solid.

Sepulveda was huge last night, pinned them deep three times and his crazy spinning punts caused one to be misplayed.

Negatives

The offensive line as a whole was okay, but too many complete lapses in communication.

Parker is struggling; he was tentative and seemed reluctant to accelerate into the hole; he also missed a couple cutbacks that were there due over pursuit.

Frank Summers isn't ready for primetime, if he even gets a chip on a player on the last 3rd and short Mewelde picks up a first.

Casey Hampton had moments of brilliance and moments of very poor play. Thankfully, Hoke stepped in during the one drive and stopped the bleeding and the defense got off the field.

Gay struggled, but made some nice tackles, he'll be fine it was his first game as the named starter.

Pappy

NorCal-Steeler
09-11-2009, 09:18 AM
O-line looked good in pass protection and Ben was actualy makeing check down throws.

was disapointed Mcdonald didnt play and Sweed was no where to be seen.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Positives?

We got a W against the #1 seed in the AFC and best record in the league from last year.

We beat a team who beat us by 17 last year.

We won a conference game against a team who could be a head-to-head tiebreak team to determine playoff seeding.

We won a game despite losing one of our marquee players in the first half.

Let's not forget who this team is just because we won a trophy last year. This is not a dominant type of team. This is a team that trades punches, makes great plays, makes mistakes, and outlasts their opponent. We had 8 games within 7 points last season and we were 6-2 in those games - many of them fourth Q comebacks.

We beat a very solid, playoff bound team who was 6-2 on the road last year. A team that won in Baltimore and Chicago last year.

Good win.....not a great win, not a flawless win, but a good win.

LouSteel
09-11-2009, 09:47 AM
This team was held to 36 yards but still managed to beat a very strong opponent. Most teams that you force into one dimension lose the game.

The problems we have can be worked out with practice and changes to the play calls.

We can do this :Beer

pfelix73
09-11-2009, 09:52 AM
The obvious-

Steelers 13
Tits 10

1-0 in the record books. I'll keep it simple.

:tt1

ramblinjim
09-11-2009, 10:06 AM
let's not forget that Tennessee is going to win a LOT of games this year also. That is a good football team with a great defense and running game. Their secondary had a couple of pro-bowlers last year and Ben passed all over them last night.

It was a great defensive game with two really good teams. We are a little worse for wear after the loss of Troy but I think we'll be just fine.

grotonsteel
09-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Positives:

Steelers W.

Big Ben passing game

Steelers O-line pass protection

Steelers D-line and Line Backers.

Negatives:

Troy P injury.

Running game.

Willie 'Brick Wall' Parker. This game proved he is only a sprinter nothing more. He was very tentative hitting the holes. He has no vision and he needs to stop dancing. O-line is average but Willie Parker makes O-line look horrible.

Steelers DB. Justin Gage looked like Jerry Rice out there.

BURGH86STEEL
09-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Readinfg some of these posts today i would think we lost last night. Does anyone remember that the Titans were 13-3 last year and have one of the deepest defensive lines in the NFL and other Pro Bowl players on defense at LB and DB?

Yea the running game looked bad but the Titans had 8 in the box and were continually running run blitzes the entire night. The offense did exactly what they should have done, they adjusted and went to a quick passing game and ate a very good defense alive.

I'll also point out what I have been saying for three years. Ley ben run a quick pass, dink and dunk offense and the guy is unsptoppable. This team has so many weapons in the passing game they are going to be tough to stop.

Our defense will be as great as last year even with the loss of Troy. Troy's loss could cost us a game that we normally one because teams with good passing games will challenge the secondary. As predicted, the refs ARE NOT going to call holding but Woodley and Harrison still pressured the QB.

Overall I think the loss of Troy may take a 13-3 team to 12-4 but this is a great team.

Really strange all the complaints I read about the players. Lots of "knee jerk" reactions by fans based on a win against a very good Titans team. There were some good things and bad things with every player. The goal is to work towards improving for each player.
Good thing the coaches realize that and won't have any knee jerk reactions.

Jigawatts
09-11-2009, 01:49 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this but the o-line looked really good in passing situations.
3 of the 4 sacks were on Ben for trying to make something happen. And you can
argue that the 4th one was also on Ben for not reading the coverage.

Also, how many penalties can be attributed to the line? I can only remember 1 on
Starks that was a b.s. call anyway.

However, just to be negative, the o-line run blocking is atrocious. :? But, since this
is a positive thread, let's not forget that we were playing the Titans, not the browns.

Oviedo
09-11-2009, 01:54 PM

Really strange all the complaints I read about the players. Lots of "knee jerk" reactions by fans based on a win against a very good Titans team. There were some good things and bad things with every player. The goal is to work towards improving for each player.

Like I always say on this board "Some people aren't happy about anything unless they are unhappy about something"

feltdizz
09-11-2009, 02:53 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this but the o-line looked really good in passing situations.

Also, how many penalties can be attributed to the line? I can only remember 1 on

However, just to be negative, the o-line run blocking is atrocious. :? But, since this
is a positive thread, let's not forget that we were playing the Titans, not the browns.

OL was really good when it was man on man...

but when teams blitz... there should never be an OL who doesn't block a guy...
I'm tired of seeing replays on blitzes where Starx or Kemo are looking for a guy to block while 4 guys run past them.

frankthetank1
09-11-2009, 02:58 PM

Like I always say on this board "Some people aren't happy about anything unless they are unhappy about something"

what you say is true but last nights display in regards to the running game is definetly something to be concerned with. by far the worst ground game i have ever seen in a steeler team. im not worried about the secondary half as much

BURGH86STEEL
09-11-2009, 03:10 PM

what you say is true but last nights display in regards to the running game is definetly something to be concerned with. by far the worst ground game i have ever seen in a steeler team. im not worried about the secondary half as much

I guess there is some concern but not the drama that people are making.

BURGH86STEEL
09-11-2009, 03:14 PM

OL was really good when it was man on man...

but when teams blitz... there should never be an OL who doesn't block a guy...
I'm tired of seeing replays on blitzes where Starx or Kemo are looking for a guy to block while 4 guys run past them.

I can assure you that guys come unblocked against better Olines then the Steelers. It happens. The Titans did a good job confusing the blocking assignments a few times. It happens. Overall, the Oline did a good job in pass protection.

frankthetank1
09-11-2009, 03:19 PM

I guess there is some concern but not the drama that people are making.

your right. some people act like we dominated every play of every game last season. its week one, its a very long season. they will improve im sure, but i am concerned