PDA

View Full Version : from now on it's just willie parker

Starlifter
09-11-2009, 02:00 AM
Please do not continue to put 'fast' next to his name. I was really focused on willie tonight. He entered the game supposedly fully healthy and was talking during the pre-season how he had his speed back. I know the O-line gave him no help but there was no burst, no quickness to the holes, on the rare occasion he got into open field he didn't make anyone miss. I've always been a WP fan and it's sad to see but he sure doesn't seem fast these days.

LasVegasGuy
09-11-2009, 02:05 AM
Please do not continue to put 'fast' next to his name. I was really focused on willie tonight. He entered the game supposedly fully healthy and was talking during the pre-season how he had his speed back. I know the O-line gave him no help but there was no burst, no quickness to the holes, on the rare occasion he got into open field he didn't make anyone miss. I've always been a WP fan and it's sad to see but he sure doesn't seem fast these days.

He talks a good game but never backs it up. Tomlin scaries me when he says this is our back. If this is our back forget about the playoffs guys because we are doomed.

skyhawk
09-11-2009, 02:06 AM
I've always thought he possesses poor vision for a RB. Not a great game for him. No RB tonight could do anything. The Titans D is pretty good.

The Steelers OL run blocking is just plain terrible.

LasVegasGuy
09-11-2009, 02:24 AM
I've always thought he possesses poor vision for a RB. Not a great game for him. No RB tonight could do anything. The Titans D is pretty good.

Didn't we already know going into this season that are running backs are horrible, our offensive line is beyond bad and our offensive coordinator is a joke?

What did we do to fix the problem? Kept everyone and extended the contracts of this horrible line. We played with fire and we may just get burned this year.

skyhawk
09-11-2009, 02:35 AM

Didn't we already know going into this season that are running backs are horrible, our offensive line is beyond bad and our offensive coordinator is a joke?

What did we do to fix the problem? Kept everyone and extended the contracts of this horrible line. We played with fire and we may just get burned this year.

This season I think Willie is a serviceable running back (maybe just WP now, not FWP). If only he had a physical offensive line. Running lanes have to be developed somewhere.

Snatch98
09-11-2009, 02:36 AM

He talks a good game but never backs it up. Tomlin scaries me when he says this is our back. If this is our back forget about the playoffs guys because we are doomed.

You are the biggest debbie downer on this site. We just knocked off one of the better teams in the NFL week one and now chicken little is running around in your living room. I don't know if i should take you seriously or laugh out loud. Yes Willie looked like garbage but he wasn't getting the holes and the play calling on the ground was predictable as usual. We played stout run defense simple as that...and believe me I'm not saying Willie is primed to explode but don't throw him under the bus just yet. We have the Bears next week and then the schedule loosens up a bit. If he's still sh.itting the bed fine. I want Mendenhall getting more carries anyway.

Mel Blount's G
09-11-2009, 03:11 AM
Agreed. I thought the same thing to myself watching the game 2nite: This is not the same Willie as 2004-2005. He does not seem to have that willie "burst" that, once he got to the 2nd level, would leave would be tacklers diving for a shoe lace. I'm thinking the combo of his busted leg plus his bulking up has negatively effected the fast willie getaway speed and incredible acceleration. Bummer. I too was a huge willie supporter but I'm a Steeler fan before I'm a willie fan and I really hope to see Mendenhall get some 20-25 carry games before too much longer. Let's find out what he's really got under the hood.

hellbanger
09-11-2009, 04:04 PM
I think Willies problem of late is that hes playing frustrated. His heads not in the game. Too busy thinkin to himself what he cant do, not what he should do. :2c

papillon
09-11-2009, 04:10 PM

Okay, we know you hate Parker; please don't start bashing Tomlin or is he just an overpaid janitor? Grow up a bit.

Pappy

Doogie36
09-11-2009, 04:13 PM
LASVEGASGUY?????

Do you have anything good to say??? I mean really.........We win the superbowl and everything is that bad?????? Not to mention we WON LAST NIGHT playing that bad against the team with the best record in the AFC last year.

Seriously I hate fans like you because you aren't really a fan, you are a complainer.

I'm not staying quiet this year....I'm calling all you SOOO CALLED FANS OUT THIS YEAR that complain just to complain.

Wait do I need a LINK for this type of posting???? LOL just kidding.

GOOO STEELERS!!!!!!!!

FORGET STYLE POINTS!!!!!!!!!!

BIG BEN IS HORRIBLE
THE WEATHER SUCKED
BA CANT PLAY TECMO
OL LINE WHO GAVE BIG BEN TIME FOR A NAP WAS HORRIBLE LAST NIGHT

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS FOOTBALL......

The only weakness we have is SHORT YARDAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last year it was SPECIAL TEAMS and SHORT YARDAGE..............we will get it......HAVE FAITH and you know what we can figure it out with a 10 day REST and a 1-0 RECORD!!!!!!!!!

LETS NOT ACT LIKE BENGAL and BROWN FANS!!!!!!!!!!

hellbanger
09-11-2009, 04:50 PM
LASVEGASGUY?????

Do you have anything good to say??? I mean really.........We win the superbowl and everything is that bad?????? Not to mention we WON LAST NIGHT playing that bad against the team with the best record in the AFC last year.

Seriously I hate fans like you because you aren't really a fan, you are a complainer.

I'm not staying quiet this year....I'm calling all you SOOO CALLED FANS OUT THIS YEAR that complain just to complain.

GOOO STEELERS!!!!!!!!

BIG BEN IS HORRIBLE
THE WEATHER SUCKED
BA CANT PLAY TECMO

The only weakness we have is SHORT YARDAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last year it was SPECIAL TEAMS and SHORT YARDAGE..............we will get it......HAVE FAITH and you know what we can figure it out with a 10 day REST and a 1-0 RECORD!!!!!!!!!

:Clap

NC Steeler Fan
09-11-2009, 04:54 PM
(While some of us appreciate the positivity you bring, myself
included, tone it down a bit...some of us old folks can't handle all
the YELLING!!!!! :wink: :lol: )

feltdizz
09-11-2009, 05:00 PM
LASVEGASGUY?????

GOOO STEELERS!!!!!!!!

BIG BEN IS HORRIBLE
THE WEATHER SUCKED
BA CANT PLAY TECMO

haha!! I'm nitpicking our team right now but I'm not a hater...

I do think Las Vegas has a hard time because we are winning in a manner he doesn't see fit. I will admit though...

I'm over WP right now though... even though we won, how can anyone like what they saw on the ground

frankthetank1
09-11-2009, 05:08 PM

or we could win the division AGAIN and make ANOTHER run at the sb. if the o-line, ba and Fwp are so horrible then how do the steelers ever win any games? some people act like Fwp was a first round pick. he wasn't even drafted. if all you that hate Fwp so much what do you really expect out of him? if he is a bum then you shouldnt expect much. im sure all of his early success was do to the o-line and Fwp deserves no credit for that. hartwig and kemo got extensions and its not like they are making huge money. colon wasnt given a new contract, essex and stapleton make nothing so its not like they invested a ton in this o-line. if the steelers are so bad then i suggest rooting for the lions, bengals, vikings, eagles, raiders, seahawks, or browns or any of the other team that never wins a super bowl. there are plenty of crappy organizations like that to choose from

Jom112
09-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Tomlin scaries me when he says this is our back.

Off topic, but that line reminded me of how Lovie Smith used to always say 'Rex Grossman is our quarterback'...

BDESteel
09-11-2009, 06:18 PM
The Steelers defense was #1 in every category except one last year. That one category was run defense and it was held by the Titans.

I don't like the way Willie hit holes either but, to say he's a bust this year is way to soon.

I remember people saying he hit holes to fast, back when JB was with us. We said he needs to use patience. Now he's TOO DAM SLOW!

I think he's more confused than anything. I don't know what are running backs coach is telling him, but Willie should break everything he can to the outside and just run as hard and fast as he possibly can. He looks like he can't make up his mind which way to go. I don't think it's a vision issue.

Our next home game when Willie gets the ball, everyone in the stadium should yell RUN WILLIE RUN. Then if he scores everyone should yell STOP WILLIE! Ya know, just like Forrest Gump. :wink:

Shoe
09-11-2009, 06:25 PM
I think Willies problem of late is that hes playing frustrated. His heads not in the game. Too busy thinkin to himself what he cant do, not what he should do. :2c

No, his biggest problem is that we've used him up (too many carries during that time frame)... The result is that he is a bald tire.

NW Steeler
09-11-2009, 06:52 PM
I think the Vikings ended up #1 against the run.

LasVegasGuy
09-11-2009, 08:36 PM

Okay, we know you hate Parker; please don't start bashing Tomlin or is he just an overpaid janitor? Grow up a bit.

Pappy

How is that bashing Tomlin? It's called an opinion. "Tomlin scares me when he says this is our back." Where exactly is the bashing?

Your reaching man. Next you will be like Stlrz pee and say my comment is racist.

stlrz d
09-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Mods, can we please have a merge on all the Willie Parker threads please???

Thanks!

Steelerphile
09-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Tomlin isn't going to stick with Parker if he doesn't look better than he did last night. LasVegasGuy is always trying to cast Tomlin as some kind of fool. I think Tomlin was expecting Parker to look pretty much like himself of 2-3 years ago, with having training camp off. But I think the pounding Parker has taken over time and the injuries are stacking up against him. It was only the first game and he didn't look that fresh or healthy.

Tomlin will start bringing in other backs. Mendenhall needs more carries. He at least seems fresh. Moore has a knack. People are too quick to write off Summers. He has a good head and attitude.

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2009, 11:59 PM

Correct. The Titans were 6th in the NFL against the run last year behind the Vikings, Steelers, Ravens, Eagles, and Bears.

NorCal-Steeler
09-12-2009, 11:42 AM
dont worry when FWP rips off a 200 yrd game everyone will say " yeah but you take away the 2 - 75yrd runs he only had 50 yrds on 20 carries." I say wait untill the season totals are in. I dont think Ben is going to have 363 yrds a game either we just need to find the way to win each week.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-12-2009, 12:51 PM

I think that his problem is that he has changed his style. He was never a "vision" back or a "finesse" back. He always had one thing going for him.....SPEED!!

He used to take the handoff and run. No dancing, no thinking, just run. Often he would get stuffed because where he was running was no hole, but if there was a hole he could go forever.

Now he dances, he thinks, he shuffles, he looks one way then the other....and goes down before he ever gets the chance to utilize his sole asset.

BDESteel
09-12-2009, 05:58 PM

Correct. The Titans were 6th in the NFL against the run last year behind the Vikings, Steelers, Ravens, Eagles, and Bears.
Ooops, then I picked the wrong team for my fantasy defense. :oops: Oh well, I still got some good points and we still got the win.

dont worry when FWP rips off a 200 yrd game everyone will say " yeah but you take away the 2 - 75yrd runs he only had 50 yrds on 20 carries." I say wait untill the season totals are in. I dont think Ben is going to have 363 yrds a game either we just need to find the way to win each week. That is ultimately the only thing we need to worry about. :Clap