PDA

View Full Version : Wallace our #3 WR over Sweed. Also, Mendenhall touches...

Mel Blount's G
09-11-2009, 12:55 AM
Unless Sweed is hurt, Wallce is clearly our #3 WR as he was on the field all night whereas Limas was seen only on special teams tonight (did anyone see him on the field for an offensive play?)

Did anyone see this coming? Are there other reasons like injuries, etc.. that Wallace may have been in as the #3 tonight?

Obviously Wallace fills the speed burner/field-stretching aspect of our offensive which was left open when Nate Washington left for the Titans but I never saw him grabbing the starting #3 right from opening day. Seems to me that Sweed must have really let down to have a rookie walk in and snatch the job from him. Also seems hard to believe that Wallace got the job based soley on the speed burner aspect; Sweed wasn't exactly slow was he?

Wallace looked alright tonight but I still had high hopes for Limas. I mean, who didn't think he was that tall receiver that Ben wanted, a guy you could lob the jump ball/fade pass to in the corner of the end zone ala Plax?

Wonder if that ailment of droptivitis plagued him thoughout training camp...?

Also, at what point might we see Mendenhall carry the ball for the entirety of a game? Will it take an injury to FWP for it to happen? Am I way out of line; was it on Rashard to take the job from Willie and did he fail to do so? Or do you think Tomlin will grow impatient with a potentially ineffective run game and try giving Mendenhall the ball 30 times a game? I'm not saying he's The Answer or the next Franco Harris. I'd just welcome a fair opportunity to see if he is, especially after watching, imo, a rather uninspiring performance from FWP tonight. It could turn out that Rashrad is s chronic fumbler who runs way too upright and who will never catch up to the NFL level after not getting much experience at the lower levels.

Snatch98
09-11-2009, 01:01 AM
Unless Sweed is hurt, Wallce is clearly our #3 WR as he was on the field all night whereas Limas was seen only on special teams tonight (did anyone see him on the field for an offensive play?)

Did anyone see this coming? Are there other reasons like injuries, etc.. that Wallace may have been in as the #3 tonight?

Obviously Wallace fills the speed burner/field-stretching aspect of our offensive which was left open when Nate Washington left for the Titans but I never saw him grabbing the starting #3 right from opening day. Seems to me that Sweed must have really let down to have a rookie walk in and snatch the job from him. Also seems hard to believe that Wallace got the job based soley on the speed burner aspect; Sweed wasn't exactly slow was he?

Wallace looked alright tonight but I still had high hopes for Limas. I mean, who didn't think he was that tall receiver that Ben wanted, a guy you could lob the jump ball/fade pass to in the corner of the end zone ala Plax?

Wonder if that ailment of droptivitis plagued him thoughout training camp...?

Also, at what point might we see Mendenhall carry the ball for the entirety of a game? Will it take an injury to FWP for it to happen? Am I way out of line; was it on Rashard to take the job from Willie and did he fail to do so? Or do you think Tomlin will grow impatient with a potentially ineffective run game and try giving Mendenhall the ball 30 times a game? I'm not saying he's The Answer or the next Franco Harris. I'd just welcome a fair opportunity to see if he is, especially after watching, imo, a rather uninspiring performance from FWP tonight. It could turn out that Rashrad is s chronic fumbler who runs way too upright and who will never catch up to the NFL level after not getting much experience at the lower levels.

Mendenhall DEFINITELY needs to get the ball more and I think he will but i do think Tomlin will have to grow impatient with Willie before that occurs. You really do have to tread lightly as a coach because if you pull Willie and start giving the lions share to Mendenhall, parkers confidence goes in the sh.itter. Mendenhall will gradually get more carries but our first two weeks are TOUGH on the running game.

As far as Wallace is concerned I just think his speed was needed more this game than Sweeds size. His speed allowed him to get open on a tough pass defense. The titans after all have two pro-bowl safeties back there and two stout corners. Sweed will get his but Wallaces skill set made more sense tonight. The staff has flat out said they are both our 3rd WR, so they'll likely rotate until one either TAKES the 3rd spot or they simply continue to excel with the trade off method. It's definitely a good problem to have....my two cents.

sd steel
09-11-2009, 01:10 AM
You can't run if there aren't any holes. This isn't about a bad bad, or a bad line, it's about a bad running scheme. (I'm starting to hate on ARIANS).

Mel Blount's G
09-11-2009, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the reply Snatch

The staff has flat out said they are both our 3rd WR.
Ahhh, okay. I missed that.

Btw, I didn't mention Shaun McDonald as he obviously needs to be included in any #3 WR discussion. But that broadens the topic considerably and wanted to debate this soley on the ignorant assumption that it was between Sweed and Wallace, each who will have more of a future, whether as a Steeler or otherwise, in the league (though Sweeds future will be VERY short if he can't catch the ball in reg/post season games!)

Snatch98
09-11-2009, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the reply Snatch

The staff has flat out said they are both our 3rd WR.
Ahhh, okay. I missed that.

Btw, I didn't mention Shaun McDonald as he obviously needs to be included in any #3 WR discussion. But that broadens the topic considerably and wanted to debate this soley on the ignorant assumption that it was between Sweed and Wallace, each who will have more of a future, whether as a Steeler or otherwise, in the league (though Sweeds future will be VERY short if he can't catch the ball in reg/post season games!)

No prob. I need to get more involved here. I usually just read. As far as Sweed he's been making great catches so far this season. I'm not at all worried about him. Wallace just fit better in to the game plan tonight and the Steelers have that luxury. If you look at our recievers on paper WE'RE DEEP, maybe the deepest WR'ing core in the league. The only other team I can think thats even close may be GB with Jennings, Driver, James Jones and Jordy Nelson. We have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. Expect big things from Sweed and Wallce and man if Holmes isn't pushing for A LOT of touches. I think he'll get 6-10 catches a game. He's that thrifty and savvy with the ball after the catch. He'll go over 1000 this season, as will Hines and Wallace and Sweed will have nice stats bringing up the rear. BIg Ben will be able to do as he pleases if he gets the time and I didn't even mention HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEATH! my man crush.

Snatch98
09-11-2009, 01:19 AM
and I agree on Arians. I'm ready to throw him under the bus. Big Ben is magic when he does his own thing. I'm not saying Arians is always bad but he's far from good. Thankfully we have the talent to make up for it but they NEED to figure something out with the run game. HOWEVER we also went against a VERY stout run defense, so things will get easier...

Well after Chicago lol

Mel Blount's G
09-11-2009, 01:20 AM
You can't run if there aren't any holes. This isn't about a bad bad, or a bad line, it's about a bad running scheme. (I'm starting to hate on ARIANS).
I hear you and agree sd. However, a special rb can find yards without the privilege of a decent o-line or a creative (or "good") running scheme (i.e Walter Payton for many years). I ask you sd and the Steeler Nation: Might Mendenhall be able to succeed despite BRU-sCARIANS and our o line?

feltdizz
09-11-2009, 01:46 AM
Arians almost blew the game when he stopped the no huddle on the 10 yard line...
3rd and 1 and no sweeps or play action? same old 3rd and stuffed plays...

I was an FWP defender but he sucks if every guy isn't pancaked. How many steps does he need to cut back? I'm sick of him dancing and running into guys or running up to the hole and then trying to dance.. just run left and get the effin yards..

he used to do this but now he is just gone...

Mend may screw up on a few plays but he ran hard. FWP looks like he is damaged goods..afraid of getting hurt so he just runs into guys and goes down.

and put a fluking lead blocker in..

last but not least.. OL was kinda alright in the pass protection when it was 4 or 5 guys..
but it's like they freeze wen a team blitzes or stunts.. no reason why Starks should be on film touching no one as 3 guys run past him..

rant off...

feltdizz
09-11-2009, 01:47 AM
[quote="sd steel":14bc00n2]You can't run if there aren't any holes. This isn't about a bad bad, or a bad line, it's about a bad running scheme. (I'm starting to hate on ARIANS).
I hear you and agree sd. However, a special rb can find yards without the privilege of a decent o-line or a creative (or "good") running scheme (i.e Walter Payton for many years). I ask you sd and the Steeler Nation: Might Mendenhall be able to succeed despite BRU-sCARIANS and our o line?[/quote:14bc00n2]

Chris Johnson had a few good cutbacks.. and he didn't have to tap his feet on the ground 12 times to do it..

sd steel
09-11-2009, 02:37 AM
I can go all DC on you guys because I coach, (albeit 8-9 year olds), but I also played for and under sized team at the NCAA level that led the nation in rushing. The team that wins the rushing game is the first team to have more players at the line of scrimmage. If you can fill gaps on defense you will win, and if you can get players in front of your rusher and get penetration you will win on offense. It's a numbers game, and without a fullback and with the other team knowing exactly what we are trying to do when we rush, we will suck all year at the running game. Let Ben go with the lightning O all year and we will win every game easily.

Mel Blount's G
09-11-2009, 02:41 AM
I can go all DC on you guys because I coach, (albeit 8-9 year olds), but I also played for and under sized team at the NCAA level that led the nation in rushing. The team that wins the rushing game is the first team to have more players at the line of scrimmage. If you can fill gaps on defense you will win, and if you can get players in front of your rusher and get penetration you will win on offense. It's a numbers game, and without a fullback and with the other team knowing exactly what we are trying to do when we rush, we will suck all year at the running game. Let Ben go with the lightning O all year and we will win every game easily.
Then we can call Arians a "No-huddle Facilitator" instead of an "Offensive Coordinator"?'t

Oha and dude, I play fantasy footbal AND I play Madden so I wouldn't DARE start a football/coaching pi@@ing contest w/ this hombre :wink:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-11-2009, 08:27 AM
I don't think Sweed was hurt. But I did notice how they rotated Wallace and Sweed at #3. Good scheme actually because the defense has to adjust accordingly. The same guy covering Sweed might not be the best matchup for Wallace. Sweed has good speed for his size but I would think most teams would role their #3 CB to him. Wallace's speed might make a defense to put a #1 or #2 CB on him or role a safety over the top to help the #3 with Wallace. I will tell you one thing I noticed. When Holmes & Wallace were both on the field, the defense tried to go cover 2 to keep the top on the defense. Ward, Miller, and Moore and allot of room underneath to work with. Sweed should still get this respect on the field if he could get deep and make the catch. 3 & 4 WRs worked great because the Titans were sending 4 rushers and very timid about blitzing in those packages. Ben pretty much had to pump fake 2 & 3 times to get a defender to move out of his throwing lane or get a defender to take a false step. He was throwing on 7. The OL actually gave him good protection from when they started the no huddle on.

proudpittsburgher
09-11-2009, 08:33 AM
I don't think Sweed was hurt. But I did notice how they rotated Wallace and Sweed at #3. Good scheme actually because the defense has to adjust accordingly. The same guy covering Sweed might not be the best matchup for Wallace. Sweed has good speed for his size but I would think most teams would role their #3 CB to him. Wallace's speed might make a defense to put a #1 or #2 CB on him or role a safety over the top to help the #3 with Wallace. I will tell you one thing I noticed. When Holmes & Wallace were both on the field, the defense tried to go cover 2 to keep the top on the defense. Ward, Miller, and Moore and allot of room underneath to work with. Sweed should still get this respect on the field if he could get deep and make the catch. 3 & 4 WRs worked great because the Titans were sending 4 rushers and very timid about blitzing in those packages. Ben pretty much had to pump fake 2 & 3 times to get a defender to move out of his throwing lane or get a defender to take a false step. He was throwing on 7. The OL actually gave him good protection from when they started the no huddle on.

It's unfortunate for Sweed, but the fact is when Wallace had to make plays, he did. I really liked what I saw out of Sweed in some of the preseason games, but there are very few players who are given time before they are discarded. If Wallace keeps making plays, Sweed won't be able to do anything about it.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-11-2009, 09:17 AM

I agree about the FB issue for when it comes to running inside. However, when we have 2 TEs in the game the best way to take advantage of the blocker is to get your guy out on the edge, because that is where he is. I don't understand why they go 2 TE and still try to pound it up the middle.

The one thing that I say about Parker is that he is far more indecisive than in his first few years. He gets the ball in the backfield now and starts dancing looking for the hole - which isn't there. He was always the kind of guy who took it and started off full speed towards the hole he is designed to go through. Often that results in a stuff, but sometimes he gets that small opening and is already going full speed as he hits the second level.

Doogie36
09-11-2009, 09:39 AM
I can't stand you BA bashers. I really can't.........you are blaming him for calling a timeout???? SERIOUSLY???? we coudnt pick up an inch all game and you are mad because they wanted to talk about how the hell they were going to pick up a YARD???

WOW

During the NO HUDDLE didnt you guys see BEN looking to the sideline and covering up his ear holes??? HELLO???? Who do you think he was getting those GREAT PLAYS from???? LOL........Big Ben might get some say on things but trust me its still BA calling the show even in the NO HUDDLE.........

BA already lets BIG BEN PICK the plays he likes.........he gives BIG BEN that freedom and discusses the game plan with him each week.......Let's not get to crazy here guys it was week 1. Obviously JEFF FISHER is a HORRIBLE coach tooo then because why in the world were they only rushing 4 GUYS with our HORRIBLE OL????? I mean come on....lets get serious!!!!!!!

BA put in Logan last night, he had wallace in over sweed, we tried fullback (IT SUCKED), we tried 1 back (IT SUCKED), we tried 3 different RB's and they ALL SUCKED. We tried bunch formations, screens, 4 wide.....Let me guess BIG BEN decided to try all of that tooo???? If BA stuck with 1 thing then yeah lets bash him but the boy gave us a lot of different formations and personnel groupings last night.

Listen to what Collinsworth said about BA!!!!!!!!!

Give it up already guys....just give it up.........ITS WEEK 1........

Snatch98
09-11-2009, 02:02 PM
I can't stand you BA bashers. I really can't.........you are blaming him for calling a timeout???? SERIOUSLY???? we coudnt pick up an inch all game and you are mad because they wanted to talk about how the hell they were going to pick up a YARD???

WOW

During the NO HUDDLE didnt you guys see BEN looking to the sideline and covering up his ear holes??? HELLO???? Who do you think he was getting those GREAT PLAYS from???? LOL........Big Ben might get some say on things but trust me its still BA calling the show even in the NO HUDDLE.........

BA already lets BIG BEN PICK the plays he likes.........he gives BIG BEN that freedom and discusses the game plan with him each week.......Let's not get to crazy here guys it was week 1. Obviously JEFF FISHER is a HORRIBLE coach tooo then because why in the world were they only rushing 4 GUYS with our HORRIBLE OL????? I mean come on....lets get serious!!!!!!!

BA put in Logan last night, he had wallace in over sweed, we tried fullback (IT SUCKED), we tried 1 back (IT SUCKED), we tried 3 different RB's and they ALL SUCKED. We tried bunch formations, screens, 4 wide.....Let me guess BIG BEN decided to try all of that tooo???? If BA stuck with 1 thing then yeah lets bash him but the boy gave us a lot of different formations and personnel groupings last night.

Carry the same "week 1" sentiments in to the Redman thread where you're calling for someone to get cut and Redman to get called up. It's WAY TO early to call anyone or anything out. We played a tough AFC opponent, probably the best we'll see outside of New England.

Doogie36
09-11-2009, 02:15 PM
I agree with this BUT!!!!!

We had 4 preseason games......we tried the other guys.......NOBODY WORKED in PREASEASON.....................EXCEPT REDMAN!!!!!!!! why bother running the crap out of him in preseason if he never had a shot to make the team????? I mean seriously????

I will put money on this....REDMAN is our short yardage back by week 4.

WHY WAIT THOUGH!!!!!!!

feltdizz
09-11-2009, 02:45 PM

WOW

I hate Collinsworth but he made a great point.. when you call time out it lets the D substitute and catch their breath...

the outcome on the no huddle that stalled after the TO was so obvious.. we stopped doing what worked to try to get one yard the old BA way..

I give 2 dumps about multiple formations when you run the same stretch play on 4 different 3rd and 1.

NorthCoast
09-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Unlike some, I have not been convinced that Sweed will be the beast some have made him out to be. On the other hand, I love Wallace's hands and his speed is just a bonus. I think the more Ben goes to him, the more comfortable he will become. If Wallace can gain 5 yds of separation with his speed, I think that is equivalent to a 6'5" receiver reaching for a jump ball. I also don't think Hines will play 16 games this season, so we will need all the depth we have at WR.