PDA

View Full Version : Why is our 3rd Best WR on the Bench

SidSmythe
09-11-2009, 12:39 AM
WHY IS OUR 3rd BEST WR ON THE BENCH??

OK, I like Mike Wallace and how fast he's coming along.
Sweed was completely absent tonight and still has a lot to prove.

BUT Shaun McDonald is by far our best option at #3 ... if we are talking about RIGHT NOW, McDonald is a prototypical 3rd down WR in the NFL.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-11-2009, 12:42 AM
no argument here. why does bruce arians do anything he does?

Snatch98
09-11-2009, 12:44 AM

BUT Shaun McDonald is by far our best option at #3 ... if we are talking about RIGHT NOW, McDonald is a prototypical 3rd down WR in the NFL.

I'd rather see Wallace and Sweed out there, sure Mcdonald is a good 3rd WR but he doesn't have the game breaking attributes Sweed or Wallace posses and if Wallace is making a case for himself I'd rather his speed be on the field and Sweeds size. I also wish Mendenhall got more carries. He's a proficient pass catcher and if you ask me the best back on our roster even tho some want to brand Moore as the best we have...Mendenhall needs to be used more.

papillon
09-11-2009, 12:45 AM

I'd rather see Wallace and Sweed out there, sure Mcdonald is a good 3rd WR but he doesn't have the game breaking attributes Sweed or Wallace posses and if Wallace is making a case for himself I'd rather his speed be on the field and Sweeds size. I also wish Mendenhall got more carries. He's a proficient pass catcher and if you ask me the best back on our roster even tho some want to brand Moore as the best we have...Mendenhall needs to be used more.

:Bow :Bow :Bow

Pappy

Mister Pittsburgh
09-11-2009, 01:33 AM

Pappy

I would rather have Hines-Holmes-McDonald running 15 yd and closer patterns when Ben is getting jacked up by the rush.

Snatch98
09-11-2009, 02:30 AM

Pappy

I would rather have Hines-Holmes-McDonald running 15 yd and closer patterns when Ben is getting jacked up by the rush.

Since McDonald has shown so much in the preseason. 10 times out of 10 I have Sweed or Wallace out there over Mcdonald. Mcdonald is nothing but depth and insurance in case either of the two mentioned falters. He's not going to see the field much if Sweed and Wallace continue to excel and the last I checked the catch that put us in field goal range was made by a fast rookie that runs good routes and seems to have sure hands. Sounds good to me. Mcdonald can continue to sit.

What did McDonald show you exactly that would warrant time over Wallace or Sweed? Experience?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-11-2009, 08:41 AM

Pappy

Since McDonald has shown so much in the preseason. 10 times out of 10 I have Sweed or Wallace out there over Mcdonald. Mcdonald is nothing but depth and insurance in case either of the two mentioned falters. He's not going to see the field much if Sweed and Wallace continue to excel and the last I checked the catch that put us in field goal range was made by a fast rookie that runs good routes and seems to have sure hands. Sounds good to me. Mcdonald can continue to sit.

What did McDonald show you exactly that would warrant time over Wallace or Sweed? Experience?

Agreed. McDonald did look fine in the PS, but so did the other two. In that case I will always defer to the guys who watch them every day and know these guys much better than we do.

Despite the fact that BA doesn't know anything about football and any board member qualifies for the OC job after 100 posts here, I will still let him make the call since his paycheck is signed by a Rooney and mine is not.

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2009, 04:42 PM
The threat of Wallace's deep speed opened things up for Hines and Heath underneath. If anything happens to Hines or Santonio, Wallace is not next in line to start, but I think it is smart that he is being used as the 3rd WR, even if he is only a decoy more often then not (except for the clincher in overtime that allowed us to kick the winning FG. :tt2 :tt1 )!!!

steelernation77
09-11-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm sorry, but did Mike Wallace not have a huge catch to help win the game? If Ben would've thrown a decent ball to him earlier he most likely would have had a long TD catch as well.

frankthetank1
09-11-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm sorry, but did Mike Wallace not have a huge catch to help win the game? If Ben would've thrown a decent ball to him earlier he most likely would have had a long TD catch as well.

i think mike wallace is the 3rd best wr. sweed showes flashes at times but his hands are suspect. when i see mike wallace drop a pass then i will question him. he has game breaking speed so i would rather have him be the #3 wr and he isnt all that much shorter than sweed

Snatch98
09-11-2009, 09:01 PM

i think mike wallace is the 3rd best wr. sweed showes flashes at times but his hands are suspect. when i see mike wallace drop a pass then i will question him. he has game breaking speed so i would rather have him be the #3 wr and he isnt all that much shorter than sweed

They both have their positives. Sweed just didn't fit in to the game plan as much last night. I'd say they got equal snaps, maybe wallace edged him out by a few opportunities but it's going to be a rotation. As far as the size difference, 4 inches in the NFL for a reciever is a lot. Sweed is 6'4 and Wallace is 6'0.

NorthCoast
09-11-2009, 09:07 PM
McDonald is a Hines clone so he does not bring any new dimension to the offense that Wallace or Sweed do with their combo of speed or size. McDonald will get his touches before the season is over, don't worry.

Slapstick
09-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Heath Miller is our 3rd best receiver...and it was great to see him catch more than 3 or 4 passes, making crucial first downs and punishing tacklers...

MeetJoeGreene
09-12-2009, 08:03 AM
The threat of Wallace's deep speed opened things up for Hines and Heath underneath. If anything happens to Hines or Santonio, Wallace is not next in line to start, but I think it is smart that he is being used as the 3rd WR, even if he is only a decoy more often then not (except for the clincher in overtime that allowed us to kick the winning FG. :tt2 :tt1 )!!!

$$$$ :Agree

I couldn't have said it better myself.... Havining McDonald out there with Hines and Holmes doesn't give us the mix of threats that having the big, fast guy does.

Captain Lemming
09-12-2009, 10:27 AM
In nearly every single game, since the first preseason game Wallace has been underthrown on a deep route, preventing a TD.

Our QBs are simply unfamiliar with his level of amazing speed. And he is not just fast, he has sure hands and can get open underneath. I thought he would be a straight line speedster. He is a much better receiver than I anticipated, a steal at that point in the draft.

I tell you that if our QBs actually hit him deep when given the chance, nobody would call for MacDonald or Sweed over him. The buzz about him would be off the charts. I take him over Washington already, and he has a huge upside.

We are looking at Ward's successor people.
Once that happens our deep game will be off the charts, and teams might want to keep their safeties deep, hepling our run game.

Slapstick
09-13-2009, 05:24 PM
There is no doubt that Wallace has amazing football speed...he definitely is a better fit for the role that Nate Washington played than Sweed...

That being said, I was still impressed by Sweed's play in the preseason...yes, he missed some easy catches, but that can be fixed...what can't be taught are making the big plays and tough catches that he made...

There will be a game this season when he is asked to step up when his number is called...it may be as early as next week...and I think he'll deliver...

fezziwig
09-13-2009, 05:30 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ikestops85
09-14-2009, 03:19 PM
There is no doubt that Wallace has amazing football speed...he definitely is a better fit for the role that Nate Washington played than Sweed...

That being said, I was still impressed by Sweed's play in the preseason...yes, he missed some easy catches, but that can be fixed...what can't be taught are making the big plays and tough catches that he made...

There will be a game this season when he is asked to step up when his number is called...it may be as early as next week...and I think he'll deliver...

Say what?? I'm sorry but if a receiver gets to the NFL and still can't consistently catch the ball he never will have that fixed. Face the fact that Sweed will make some sensational catches for us but drop some easy passes. Much the same way Nate did. Now to me Wallace has earned the #3 spot on the team by running good routes, stretching the field and CATCHING THE BALL.

Now maybe I'll be wrong about Sweed but I don't ever think he will be classified as a sure hands receiver. I think he might be more on the lines of a Braylon Edwards type of guy. Now I don't consider Edwards a bust and I don't think Sweed will be one either. I do think Sweed is the #5 receiver on the team right now but will slowly move up the depth chart as he matures.

Wallace is the exception and I think the Steelers got a steal with that guy and it's a good thing since we seem to be transitioning to a passing team from a running team.

Slapstick
09-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Say what?? I'm sorry but if a receiver gets to the NFL and still can't consistently catch the ball he never will have that fixed. Face the fact that Sweed will make some sensational catches for us but drop some easy passes. Much the same way Nate did. Now to me Wallace has earned the #3 spot on the team by running good routes, stretching the field and CATCHING THE BALL.

Now maybe I'll be wrong about Sweed but I don't ever think he will be classified as a sure hands receiver. I think he might be more on the lines of a Braylon Edwards type of guy. Now I don't consider Edwards a bust and I don't think Sweed will be one either. I do think Sweed is the #5 receiver on the team right now but will slowly move up the depth chart as he matures.

Sweed caught the ball consistently at Texas, which Edwards never did at Michigan...which leads me to believe that while he is adjusting to the speed of the game, he is still a work in process...Wallace caught three passes for 32 yards...while I am intrigued by his speed and poise, I'm not yet ready to anoint him as anything...he is potentially the Steelers' most dangerous WR...potentially...

Sweed is also #4 on the depth chart right now...he was active on gameday while McDonald was not...

aggiebones
09-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Sweed was ALWAYS wide open at tu when Vince Young was QB cause everyone feared VY running. Sweed missed most of senior year as well I think. His past glory is over exaggerated.
Wallace may have passed him. Its a long season but the rookie is not disappointing.

Look, we had a great opening game passing effort. With a total collapse of the running game, the passing game needs to be lauded for bailing us out.
That heavily includes the rookie, who's speed opened up the underneath a bit more. Wallace did a great job. He will falter some this season, but I'm fine with keeping him out there.
Like someone else said, he wouldn't step into the starting spot if Hines or Holmes went down. Sweed might go for Holmes and Shaun would possibly slide in for Hines.

Hopefully we won't find that out.

ikestops85
09-15-2009, 12:03 PM

Sweed caught the ball consistently at Texas, which Edwards never did at Michigan...which leads me to believe that while he is adjusting to the speed of the game, he is still a work in process...Wallace caught three passes for 32 yards...while I am intrigued by his speed and poise, I'm not yet ready to anoint him as anything...he is potentially the Steelers' most dangerous WR...potentially...

Sweed is also #4 on the depth chart right now...he was active on gameday while McDonald was not...

The only anointing of Wallace I'm going to do is that he is ahead of Sweed as an NFL receiver. I think both have a good upside but the advantage goes to Wallace because he can HOLD ON TO THE BALL. The speed of the game isn't causing Sweed to drop passes. He just doesn't have sure hands. For sure handed receivers catching the ball is just second nature. That doesn't seem to be the case with Limas although I wish it was.

From what I have seen of Wallace he makes the catches he is supposed to but I haven't seen him make any spectacular catches which Sweed occasionally does. As a rookie Wallace is impressive but he definitely has room for improvement.

JTP53609
09-17-2009, 12:53 PM
i love wallace, he will be a stud for us once he starts gelling better......

Shoe
09-17-2009, 09:41 PM

I think McDonald is insurance actually, for the starters. If for example, Hines gets hurt... McDonald would be the best guy to fill Hines' shoes as a security blanket for Ben. The young guys can't really, because they aren't savvy enough yet.

But with the starters healthy, I agree with getting the young guys in there... actually, lemme correct that--I like what I've seen of Wallace. Sweed has shown me nothing much TBH.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-18-2009, 08:39 AM

Are you saying that McDonald should be our #3 receiver, or are you just taking an opportunity to give Arians a shot?

Is Arians a great OC? No

Should McDonald be our third receiver? No

Oviedo
09-18-2009, 08:46 AM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":ak2q9cb1]no argument here. why does bruce arians do anything he does?

Are you saying that McDonald should be our #3 receiver, or are you just taking an opportunity to give Arians a shot?

Is Arians a great OC? No

Should McDonald be our third receiver? No[/quote:ak2q9cb1]

McDoanld is nothing more than a good possesion receiver which is not bad but he does not offer the upside that either Sweed or Wallace do. He will do this weekend exactly what he needs to do...come in for a injured receiver and provide a steady reliable set of hands into the receiver mix.