PDA

View Full Version : Something to keep in mind

stlrz d
09-11-2009, 12:18 AM
The Titans are a good team and playing a good team will expose your weaknesses.

We know the O line needs fixing but a good team will make them look even worse.

Steelgal
09-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Positive thoughts, just what we need. thanks D :Agree

stlrz d
09-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Positive thoughts, just what we need. thanks D :Agree

That's why I had to leave the chat...I needed some too.

Steelgal
09-11-2009, 12:38 AM
I ended up leaving too.....

steelercorp
09-11-2009, 12:42 AM
I left because I needed to go home but I am glad I didn't come back on because I did begin to get tired of the negativity.

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2009, 04:15 PM
You guys should have heard the moron sitting behind me up in the bleachers. Overreated to everything. For example, when the first play in overtime didn't go for big yards, he'd yell out "We should have deferred and let the defense win it for us!" At one point, in frustration, he yelled out "Jesus Murphy!" to many a puzzled look in our section. A few plays later, when we had a failed run up the middle, I decided to yell out "Jesus Murphy!" myself, and a half dozen or so folks around me just started cracking up. This guy was so drunk, though, I think he was totally oblivious to it. Good stuff.

Jigawatts
09-11-2009, 04:21 PM
You guys should have heard the moron sitting behind me up in the bleachers. Overreated to everything. For example, when the first play in overtime didn't go for big yards, he'd yell out "We should have deferred and let the defense win it for us!" At one point, in frustration, he yelled out "Jesus Murphy!" to many a puzzled look in our section. A few plays later, when we had a failed run up the middle, I decided to yell out "Jesus Murphy!" myself, and a half dozen or so folks around me just started cracking up. This guy was so drunk, though, I think he was totally oblivious to it. Good stuff.

It wasn't Lynn Swann was it? :lol: NBC had a view shots of him sitting in the stands and
I couldn't help but think he was up there chatting with our very own Ruthless.

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2009, 04:37 PM

It wasn't Lynn Swann was it? :lol: NBC had a view shots of him sitting in the stands and
I couldn't help but think he was up there chatting with our very own Ruthless.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/ropewalk_2006/RonandSwannAS.jpg

Mister Pittsburgh
09-11-2009, 04:49 PM

Those same exact weaknesses got exposed last year as well. Guess we didn't fix them or learn from past mistakes.

frankthetank1
09-11-2009, 05:13 PM
[quote="stlrz d":3pbtlntx]The Titans are a good team and playing a good team will expose your weaknesses.

Those same exact weaknesses got exposed last year as well. Guess we didn't fix them or learn from past mistakes.[/quote:3pbtlntx]

it was only one game which is week 1 and it was the titans. im sure as the season goes on they will improve. every team has some weaknesses

BURGH86STEEL
09-11-2009, 05:48 PM
[quote="stlrz d":18emreqe]The Titans are a good team and playing a good team will expose your weaknesses.

Those same exact weaknesses got exposed last year as well. Guess we didn't fix them or learn from past mistakes.[/quote:18emreqe]

I think you are failing to take some things into consideration with your statements. The organization takes several factors into consideration. Like: they had to replace two pro bowl caliber players on the Oline, injuries hurt the Oline, 4 new starters at different points a long the Oline, the RB's were injured, and so on. People know all these things and fail to acknowledge those facts.

It just seems to me that some fans are happy to complain about anything and everything without doing a proper analysis. Good thing the organization does not hold the same view as some fans. It is safe to say that this team would never win anything with some of the reactions by fans.
I hate to say this but some fans opinions mirror the decisions that Al Davis makes. They don't do a proper analysis before making statements.

BURGH86STEEL
09-11-2009, 05:52 PM

I agree Titans are a good team. They have a really good defense.

I like to think the Oline is a work in progress. I think the can and will improve.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-11-2009, 08:20 PM
[quote="stlrz d":fxg9i21s]The Titans are a good team and playing a good team will expose your weaknesses.

Those same exact weaknesses got exposed last year as well. Guess we didn't fix them or learn from past mistakes.

I think you are failing to take some things into consideration with your statements. The organization takes several factors into consideration. Like: they had to replace two pro bowl caliber players on the Oline, injuries hurt the Oline, 4 new starters at different points a long the Oline, the RB's were injured, and so on. People know all these things and fail to acknowledge those facts.

It just seems to me that some fans are happy to complain about anything and everything without doing a proper analysis. Good thing the organization does not hold the same view as some fans. It is safe to say that this team would never win anything with some of the reactions by fans.
I hate to say this but some fans opinions mirror the decisions that Al Davis makes. They don't do a proper analysis before making statements.[/quote:fxg9i21s]

I know all those facts man. So does the organization, and they see the results. They watch the film and see the run continually fail yet continue to force it, and fail. I also see the results dating back to 2007 to the present when we put the game in our 100 million dollar QB's hands. We move the ball pretty much at will. These are the things I take into consideration when doing my evaluations....

-Our QB is one of the best in the game and has a 100 million dollar contract.
-Our offensive line is not adept at run blocking.
-They do a decent job pass blocking, especially in a rythm type offense when Ben is in the gun and getting rid of it quickly on shorter routes.
-Hines Ward is a stud of a WR with great hands and a knack to get open
-Santonio Holmes has emerged as a major force and also has great hands and gets open
-Limas Sweed made Vince Young look good making great catches for him. He is 6'4" and a 2nd round pick.
-Mike Wallace proved last night he can get it done and is a 3rd rnd pick.
-Heath Miller is one of the best, sure handed TE's in the game
-Matt Spaeth, our 2nd TE is 6'7" and a pass catching TE
-Mewelde Moore was known as a receiving RB and does a damn good job of getting open as an outlet when things break down.
-Rashard Mendenhall can catch the ball well and proved it in college.
-The rules favor the offense, specifically the QB and the WR.

Let me ask you this.....if it is 3rd and 1 or 2 for the Pats or Colts.....do they bring in a FB 95% of the time and try and cram it down the throats of one of the best defensive lines in the league? No, they trust their 100 million dollar QB to throw the ball in that situation cause that is what he is paid to do. They trust their WR to catch the ball. If it is 3rd & short and the CB is giving a 10 yard cushion Brady takes about a 2 step drop and rifles the ball to a WR that is running a quick out at the sticks. He throws it to a speedy RB running a fly pattern in the flats in Faulk trusting he can beat a LB to the stick.

These are all very valid points that have been thought through for longer than you would like to know. I record these games and watch them multiple times. Just because what I am saying the O should do goes against what the 'Steelers way' has been for decades it doesn't make it wrong. We aren't built to be a run 1st team, bottom line.

Sometimes some of you guys come off as 'know it alls' or 'preachy'. If you find valid points to argue, that is fine, but don't talk down to people like you are the authority on what is right and wrong in football. What you are saying is your opinion, and that is fine. My opinion just happens to be different.

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Let me ask you this.....if it is 3rd and 1 or 2 for the Pats or Colts.....do they bring in a FB 95% of the time and try and cram it down the throats of one of the best defensive lines in the league?

Last season, the 13-3 Titans, the 12-4 Giants, and the 12-4 Panthers all smashmouthed their way to success. There is more than one way to win in this league, and winning is more likely if we are flexible and can win multiple ways. Sometimes, Ben can throw it all over the field like Indy and New England do. But at other times, it would be nice to be able to pound the ball like Tennessee, New York, and Carolina does. It makes for a more well-rounded team. We cannot simply ignore the run because Ben is adept at passing.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Let me ask you this.....if it is 3rd and 1 or 2 for the Pats or Colts.....do they bring in a FB 95% of the time and try and cram it down the throats of one of the best defensive lines in the league?

Last season, the 13-3 Titans, the 12-4 Giants, and the 12-4 Panthers all smashmouthed their way to success. There is more than one way to win in this league, and winning is more likely if we are flexible and can win multiple ways. Sometimes, Ben can throw it all over the field like Indy and New England do. But at other times, it would be nice to be able to pound the ball like Tennessee, New York, and Carolina does. It makes for a more well-rounded team. We cannot simply ignore the run because Ben is adept at passing.

Sure, there is more than one way to win in this league....tell that to Bruce Arians. Did you see one pass attempt on 3rd and 1 last night? Yeah, the Titans, Giants, Panthers did suceed with a run first offense. They must be built to do well with that. Unfortunately, we aren't. We do however have a plethora of pass receiving options and a great QB. I would match our QB, receiving corp and TE's up against any team in this league. Would you match our RB and run blocking against any team in the league other than the bad teams like Cincy, Detroit, Seattle, San Fran? Those are really the only teams we ever run on anymore. When is the last time Parker had a great game against a top 5 defense?

NorthCoast
09-11-2009, 09:14 PM
OK, here's something positive:

After Week 1 the Steelers will no doubt be ranked 32nd in rushing. That means we can only go up!! Seriously, we were ranked something like 23rd in rush offense last season so it will be real interesting to see how things evolve this season. I am not convinced we have the kinds of OL for the type of scheme BA wants to run...it is a forced fit and it is showing badly.

stlrz d
09-11-2009, 09:33 PM
[quote="stlrz d":2z4lxrib]The Titans are a good team and playing a good team will expose your weaknesses.

I hate to say this but some fans opinions mirror the decisions that Al Davis makes. They don't do a proper analysis before making statements.[/quote:2z4lxrib]

That's why I left the chat last night. I enjoyed the game much more once I did. I think I'm gonna go without chat next week and see how the viewing goes.

Sugar
09-11-2009, 09:55 PM
I keep in mind that we just beat the team with the best record last year. I also keep in mind that we just beat the last team to beat us.

stlrz d
09-11-2009, 10:01 PM
I keep in mind that we just beat the team with the best record last year. I also keep in mind that we just beat the last team to beat us.

Good things to keep in mind man.