PDA

View Full Version : official Troy injury thread

steelerkeylargo
09-11-2009, 12:01 AM
post your news here

calmkiller
09-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Local News says its a Left Knee Injury. Nothing more atm.

Steelgal
09-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Tomlin just said MCL sprain, it could be 3-6. I assume he means weeks??? He said all the details aren't back yet, it could be worse.

pfelix73
09-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Looking like 3 to 6 weeks. My guess would be closer to 3 than 6. He's in tremendous shape, and I think that will matter.

:tt1

Leper Friend
09-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Tomlin is saying it's a sprain and doesn't know for sure but even an MCL TEAR shouldn't be season ending. Generally the grade 3 tear would be 3 to 4 months and that's worst case scenario.Grade 1 or 2 TEAR isn't much worse tha a sprain.It's all speculation at this point though.

SidSmythe
09-11-2009, 12:45 AM
I'd love to see him back by San Diego which is just over 3 weeks from tonight.
From what i saw and my slightly trained eye, it's not serious.

I actually told my 9 yr old son right after the play that it didn't look good the way Troy was landed on. Come back from commercial and my worst fears were confirmed. But looking at the replay, it wasn't a full speed contact thing, it was more of a stretching a joint beyond it's normal range of motion.

SteelBucks
09-11-2009, 12:45 AM
Looking like 3 to 6 weeks. My guess would be closer to 3 than 6. He's in tremendous shape, and I think that will matter.

Ugh. Well here's the schedule for the next 6 weeks:

@ Chicago
@ Cincinnati
vs. San Diego
@ Detroit
vs. Cleveland
vs. Minnesota
BYE

My money is on he'll return after the BYE week....if it's not worse than a sprain. I hope Carter and Mundy are up to the challenge.

skyhawk
09-11-2009, 01:50 AM

@ Chicago
@ Cincinnati
vs. San Diego
@ Detroit
vs. Cleveland
vs. Minnesota
BYE

My money is on he'll return after the BYE week....if it's not worse than a sprain. I hope Carter and Mundy are up to the challenge.

I hope so too. They laid an egg the series right after Polamalu went down.

Mel Blount's G
09-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Great news if it is indeed just a sprain and there's no tearing!!

How many weeks did Ben miss when he had a knee sprained by Castillo against San Diego a couple years ago? Was that an MCL sprain (his bent from a totally different angle) or...? Also didn't woodley or another d player sustain a sprained knee last year and miss very little time? Obviously the degree of a sprain varies infinitely which would largely influence how long a person would sit out.

Northern_Blitz
09-11-2009, 06:05 AM
Dale Lolley is reporting that Troy may be out 3 - 6 weeks. Too bad it comes with Chi, Cin, and SD, but I'd rather he miss time at the front end of the season than the back end (or the playoffs). At least it's not the whole season. I was encouraged that he walked off himself.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2009-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-05%3A00&updated-max=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=50

proudpittsburgher
09-11-2009, 06:57 AM

@ Chicago
@ Cincinnati
vs. San Diego
@ Detroit
vs. Cleveland
vs. Minnesota
BYE

I hope so too. They laid an egg the series right after Polamalu went down.

That's going to happen, they had to adjust to losing their most dynamic and perhaps their best defensive player. It took only a series to adjust. Actually, I was really proud with how this defense rallied together after that series.

stlrz d
09-11-2009, 07:02 AM
Agreed Proud. It took them a series to settle in after Troy left, but they did so pretty nicely.

Unfortunately, the pass D in the secondary seemed to soften up after Troy left. :(

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Umm...As far as I know a "sprain" is a tear. "Sprain" just signifies the mildness of the tear. If something stretches...It tears. We saw the replay. Our best case scenario is the 3-6 weeks. Keep your fingers crossed today. The "suddeness" Troy plays with...You won't see a 100% Troy until a min 6 weeks. I hoping for a miracle...Which is entirely possible with Troy's faith and his conditioning...Which would be the 3 weeks!

proudpittsburgher
09-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Agreed Proud. It took them a series to settle in after Troy left, but they did so pretty nicely.

Unfortunately, the pass D in the secondary seemed to soften up after Troy left. :(

Yea, I noticed that too, but I don't remember the d-line putting any pressure at all on Collins on the lone tenn. TD drive after Troy left, which puts a lot of pressure on the secodnary. Once they started putting pressure on him again, things got better. The steelers get over a week to gameplan against Chicago, and the Bears lack of recievers gives me hope that the Steelers could make the best of this with Troy out.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Tomlin just said MCL sprain, it could be 3-6. I assume he means weeks??? He said all the details aren't back yet, it could be worse.

No offense to Tomlin, but can someone really make a diagnosis without an MRI (noting the time of this post as being immediately after the game). Do they have an MRI at Heinz?

jj28west
09-11-2009, 08:49 AM

Yea, I noticed that too, but I don't remember the d-line putting any pressure at all on Collins on the lone tenn. TD drive after Troy left, which puts a lot of pressure on the secodnary. Once they started putting pressure on him again, things got better. The steelers get over a week to gameplan against Chicago, and the Bears lack of recievers gives me hope that the Steelers could make the best of this with Troy out.

I believe Frazier came in when Woodley had cramps. From a pass rush there was a huge dropoff watching Frazier trying to bullrush and getting zero penetration.

Shoe
09-11-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm thrilled with this news... I hope Mundy is given the opportunity to take his spot. I liked Carter two years ago much more than now. Mundy has potential.

And frankly, Troy was incredible last night. So much is made of his "up & down" performance. That PI was a joke we all know. The late hit was another case of him getting to a place he had no business getting to, and just came a fraction late. And the facemask was just him trying to get the runner down.

The two splash plays he made were :shock: simply amazing.

NC Steeler Fan
09-11-2009, 12:02 PM
I looked at that reply of Troy's injury several times and have concluded that if he had just gone to fall on the ball, instead of keeping his legs upright and leaning down to scoop it up and run it back, he doesn't get injured.

Just Troy being Troy and trying to make a miracle happen; only it cost him this time.

rpmpit
09-11-2009, 12:24 PM
I looked at that reply of Troy's injury several times and have concluded that if he had just gone to fall on the ball, instead of keeping his legs upright and leaning down to scoop it up and run it back, he doesn't get injured.

Just Troy being Troy and trying to make a miracle happen; only it cost him this time.

Same thing with Hines trying to score instead of falling down inside the 10. These guys aren't programmed to just stop. They want to score and win. Its what makes them great. Thankfully Hines' fumble didn't cost us the game. And hopefully Troy is back in a few weeks.

fezziwig
09-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Sorry that Troy got hurt for him personally and also for the sake of the team. Hope he recovers quicly and well and again, personally and for the team. The secondary seemed lost or uneasy or non-flowing at times without him. Man, was he ever on his way to having a highlight film game. Too bad for Troy and the Steelers.

Mel Blount's G
09-11-2009, 12:30 PM

Zackly. Just like we all cringe and/or shut or eyes when Ben is being tossed around like a rag doll yet still trying to complete a pass or shed several tackles.

Be honest Steeler Nation: Who else besides me, when they saw Troy running towards that loose ball, started getting jacked up and envisioned him scooping it up and taking it for 6?? I actually pictured him doing it in my mind before the play ended in a pile. And typical tough Troy - no one even knew he was injured (in tv land at least) until the commentators brought it up since he got right up and walked off the field. Just like when he sustained that serious concussion from Cedric Benson, when his helmet flew off==>he popped right up and walked off the field even though he was hardly conscious after that head on with Boozehound Benson

NWNewell
09-11-2009, 01:00 PM

Same thing with Hines trying to score instead of falling down inside the 10. These guys aren't programmed to just stop. They want to score and win. Its what makes them great. Thankfully Hines' fumble didn't cost us the game. And hopefully Troy is back in a few weeks.

Agreed. When you play with a lot of heart, energy, and intensity, sometimes it's tough to dial it back in the spur of the moment and try to be logical instead of aggressive. There are pros and cons to every situation. Sure, in hind sight I wish they would have choose the smart, safe play over the aggressive play in those instances, but I'll take the pros and cons of an aggressive, intense player any day of the week. "Stuff" happens.

PS Titans tried to do the "smart, safe" play by only rushing 3 or 4 players in the 4th/OT and relying on coverage and prevent defense. They got burnt. Fortune favors the bold!

Jigawatts
09-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Right now I'm hearing that 3-6 is optimistic. It's more likely to be 8 weeks.

But like Ryan Clark says, "If anyone can pray his way out of it, Troy can." :lol:

AngryAsian
09-11-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm torn about this whole Troy Injury. On one hand you have the perspective that we lost key people in our machine last year facing a tougher schedule and like any true championship team, we found ways to win games. But on the flip side, a lot of those come from behind wins came when players like Troy made unbelievable splash plays that changed the game. OC's game plan around Polamalu and losing his talent and instincts on the field, not to mention his leadership via inspired play making is going to be a tough mountain to climb. I know we'll prod on with the horse we have in the stable, but scary air out offensive attacks may prove to be our weakness during this long season without our star play maker. Like everyone says... let's all pray for a speedy recovery.

steelsnis
09-11-2009, 03:42 PM

Link please? Not doubting you at all but I haven't heard anything about it this afternoon. Where did you hear 8-weeks?

Jigawatts
09-11-2009, 03:47 PM

Link please? Not doubting you at all but I haven't heard anything about it this afternoon. Where did you hear 8-weeks?

No link. Heard it on Mark Madden. Usually he has good inside information, but I wouldn't
be surprised if he's wrong either.

SidSmythe
09-11-2009, 11:44 PM

No link. Heard it on Mark Madden. Usually he has good inside information, but I wouldn't

Troy will be back by San Diego!! :Boobs

RuthlessBurgher
09-12-2009, 04:17 PM

Troy will be back by San Diego!! :Boobs

I hope so! That minimum 3 week suggestion by Tomlin would mean we would be facing TE's like Greg Olsen and Antonio Gates without Polamalu in there to shut them down. Hopefully, the 10 days off between Tennessee and Chicago could mean that Timmons may be ready to get back on the field by our next game, so they could potentially use his athleticism to attack those TE's in Troy's absence. I'd hate to have to go too long without both of the athletic freaks of nature from our defense, #94 and #43.