PDA

View Full Version : The No Huddle!

Flasteel
09-10-2009, 11:58 PM
This has been a tool which has worked wonders for us the past two season, yet has been woefully underutilized and continually abandoned by our offense. This is what won the game for us in my opinion. It allowed our players to be put in a position to execute. Arians deserves some credit for unleashing his pathetic control over the offense and getting out of the way.

Hats off to the O-line (at least for their pass blocking)
Hats off to the defense (notable exception for our coverage)

...and a big hats off to Ben Roethlisberger.

feltdizz
09-11-2009, 12:03 AM
I agree.. and I will admit.. BA sucks a long one..
it's like BA got jealous and made Ben huddle up so we could screw up a great drive.

his best play was the FG on first down.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-11-2009, 12:03 AM
I have been calling for the no huddle and the quick passing offense since 2007. Any time we go into it we move the ball. Any time we try the run first offense we struggle bigtime unless it is against a crappy opponent like Cleveland or Cincy.

MeetJoeGreene
09-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Seriously.

If we can't run.. then go no huddle.

DO IT!!!!

AngryAsian
09-11-2009, 12:22 AM
The use of screens were great and the tandem of Miller and Moore gives us so many options... but the no huddle is just money for our offense. I don't think anybody can stop our unit when we're running it.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-11-2009, 12:45 AM
Why is it so difficult for Arians to see this...or Tomlin for that matter. Be patient, go no huddle with a single back that can catch like Moore and tear it up. If you want to run the ball, run sprint draws and the like once the passing game draws the linebackers out to help cover the pass.

feltdizz
09-11-2009, 01:54 AM
Why is it so difficult for Arians to see this...or Tomlin for that matter. Be patient, go no huddle with a single back that can catch like Moore and tear it up. If you want to run the ball, run sprint draws and the like once the passing game draws the linebackers out to help cover the pass.

the only reason I can think of is too much no huddle gives teams more film to break it down or it takes away from grinding clock...

I don't want to see us go no huddle all game like the Pats did but if you do go no huddle do not stop it on the 10 so you can run up the gut.

I bet BA knows more no huddle means less need for him.. LOL!!!

skyhawk
09-11-2009, 01:59 AM
This has been a tool which has worked wonders for us the past two season, yet has been woefully underutilized and continually abandoned by our offense. This is what won the game for us in my opinion. It allowed our players to be put in a position to execute. Arians deserves some credit for unleashing his pathetic control over the offense and getting out of the way.

Why the Titans only rushed 3 and 4 players in the 4th Q is a total head scratcher to me. :wft

skyhawk
09-11-2009, 02:01 AM
If you go no huddle all the time, the Steelers D must expend much more energy on defense as the O will not use as much clock. A respectable running game is necessary in today's NFL.

A good ground game is one reason Cowher's teams always lead the league in D many years due to controlling the clock 35 min/game. Less time for the D to be out there and fewer yards and points allowed.

Mel Blount's G
09-11-2009, 02:28 AM
I bet BA knows more no huddle means less need for him.. LOL!!!
Funny you should say that - You'd be interested in the post game discussion I overheard relating to your comment. (for all you Planet Steelers Big Lebowski fans!! =:lol: )

Mike Tomlin: Our huddled offense and your corresponding playcalling sucked a@@, you nitwit! They did not receive a decent play until we went no-huddle. And the SACKS! HIS LIFE WAS IN YOUR HANDS!

Bruce Arians: No, man, nothing is fvcked here

MT: NOTHING IS FVCKED? THE GODDAMN PLANE HAS CRASHED INTO THE MOUNTAIN!

BA: Well, uh, look. I've got certain information, certain things have come to light, and uh, has it ever occurred to you, man, that given the nature of all this new sh!t, that, uh, instead of running around blaming me, that this whole thing might just be, not, you know, not just such a simple, but uh--you know?

MT: What in God's holy name are you blathering about?

BA: I'll tell you what I'm blathering about! I got information--new sh!t has come to light and--sh!t, man! [a long, detailed, technical explanation regarding BA's theory of offensive coordination follows]....I mean, hasn't that ever occured to you, sir?

MT: No. No Coach Arians, that had not occurred to me

BA: Well, okay, you're not privy to all the new sh!t, so uh, you know, but that's what you pay me for. Speaking of which, would it be possible for me to get my twenty grand in cash? I gotta check this with my accountant of course, but my concern is that, you know, it could bump me into a higher tax--

MT: Since you have failed to achieve, even in the modest task that was your charge...and since you have unrepentantly betrayed my trust I have no choice but to tell these bums (PlanetSteelers" discussion board members) that they should do whatever is necessary to replace you as our offensive coordinator, Bruce Arians. And with Charlie (Batch) as my witness, tell you this: Any further harm visited upon Ben, shall be visited tenfold upon your head.
http://static.reelmovienews.com/images/gallery/the-big-lebowski-and-brandt.jpg

Snatch98
09-11-2009, 02:33 AM

Why the Titans only rushed 3 and 4 players in the 4th Q is a total head scratcher to me. :wft

I think a lot of it had to do with Holmes. He simply can't be covered one on one so they were dropping LB's back to compensate. Also it's not like Big Ben is Byron Leftwich from a mobility stand point. Our o-line was doing a decent enough job and allowing Ben time back there to run around and make plays. If they routinely sent the farm Big Ben was going to hurt them for big yardage. We have A LOT of offensive weapons. A LOT.

skyhawk
09-11-2009, 02:39 AM

I think a lot of it had to do with Holmes. He simply can't be covered one on one so they were dropping LB's back to compensate. Also it's not like Big Ben is Byron Leftwich from a mobility stand point. Our o-line was doing a decent enough job and allowing Ben time back there to run around and make plays. If they routinely sent the farm Big Ben was going to hurt them for big yardage. We have A LOT of offensive weapons. A LOT.

Ben wasn't hurting them for big yardage when the Titans would rush 5 and 6 players against a very confused Steelers OLine. The titan D was very reminiscent of the old Steelers D that couldn't get off the field due to not being able to get to the QB and pressure on 3rd downs.

Snatch98
09-11-2009, 02:43 AM
It took the o-line a bit to get settled but once they did Big Ben was moving the ball. Obviously the Titans did what they did for a reason. I'm not going to be a monday morning quarterback but I'd venture a guess Fisher had his reasons and the game remained close until Big Ben went no huddle and they couldn't continue to send the farm because guys were getting tired.

BURGH86STEEL
09-11-2009, 06:38 AM
If you go no huddle all the time, the Steelers D must expend much more energy on defense as the O will not use as much clock. A respectable running game is necessary in today's NFL.

A good ground game is one reason Cowher's teams always lead the league in D many years due to controlling the clock 35 min/game. Less time for the D to be out there and fewer yards and points allowed.

I agree. There are several factors to consider when bringing up this "no huddle" issue. They can't run the no huddle all game. The Steelers offensive and defensive players will eventually become tired. It's not Madden. I think that it is best they use the no huddle when it is needed. The players left some plays and points out on the field in the "huddle" offense by making mistakes and failing to execute.

The run game is something they have to continue to work at to get better. The only way to do that is to attempt to run the football.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-11-2009, 07:22 AM

I agree. There are several factors to consider when bringing up this "no huddle" issue. They can't run the no huddle all game. The Steelers offensive and defensive players will eventually become tired. It's not Madden. I think that it is best they use the no huddle when it is needed. The players left some plays and points out on the field in the "huddle" offense by making mistakes and failing to execute.

The run game is something they have to continue to work at to get better. The only way to do that is to attempt to run the football.

Who is saying anything about 'All Game'. We ran it twice I think and scored or were in scoring position both times. Plus, with Ben's completion percentage, the same amount of clock runs off between run plays as it does with the pass plays. So ok, 100% of the run plays the time runs down and only 80% of the pass plays.

frankthetank1
09-11-2009, 07:39 AM

i think it was because ben was hitting his checkdowns and killing the titans with screens and short routes. i agree good job by ba going with the no huddle. who says he cant make in game adjustments. as much as i hate to see the steelers spread the field and play pu$$y football like the pats they cant run the ball so i think we will see more of it. ben is amazing though