PDA

View Full Version : America's Game - stories missed....

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-09-2009, 11:32 PM
A couple of things that I had wanted to get the insight into......

1) Aaron Smith's son - I was not surprised as the full story has been kept pretty tight, but imagine the emotion that must have been going on through the week when we lost to the Giants.

2) Time out call against Dallas - Remember just before the int by Deshea, we called time out on D with them having the ball. I remember someone saying something like Romo looked at them and said something like "are you kidding me??"

3) All the injuries - not only did we have an incredibly tough schedule, but look at the list of players who missed games due to injury

4) Harrison playing long snapper - sure we lost to the Giants, but we were still in the game - even leading - until a fluke injury caused the DPOY to long snap.

5) Lebeau - this awesome D all have so much respect and love for this old guy. Even a mention.

Anytime we watch 60 minutes of Steelers TV it is awesome, but I do think that there could have been much more. Maybe they needed a 2 hour show. :D

Shoe
09-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Being only month's away, I will say that for maybe that reason... this one isn't as gripping as other AG's I've seen. Don't get me wrong; I liked this one just fine.

But others, man... they're so good, they almost have a brother getting to tears.

sd steel
09-10-2009, 01:30 AM
Being only month's away, I will say that for maybe that reason... this one isn't as gripping as other AG's I've seen. Don't get me wrong; I liked this one just fine.

But others, man... they're so good, they almost have a brother getting to tears.

I disagree, this one was great, and to cover other story lines they would need more time. Even though it was just last year, this one was special. I didn't need the show to rehash Aaron Smith's kid (not football related), or Harrison the DMVP long snapping, or many of the let downs we had, because it was about the STEELERS winning their 6th title against the hardest schedule ever, it was about perseverance, and being the 5 star team. It was good to hear from Ben and Tomlin and Troy, and it was a classic in my opinion. BTW I have watched all off the old ones more than 3 times a piece.

rpmpit
09-10-2009, 07:43 AM

1) Aaron Smith's son - I was not surprised as the full story has been kept pretty tight, but imagine the emotion that must have been going on through the week when we lost to the Giants.

2) Time out call against Dallas - Remember just before the int by Deshea, we called time out on D with them having the ball. I remember someone saying something like Romo looked at them and said something like "are you kidding me??"

3) All the injuries - not only did we have an incredibly tough schedule, but look at the list of players who missed games due to injury

4) Harrison playing long snapper - sure we lost to the Giants, but we were still in the game - even leading - until a fluke injury caused the DPOY to long snap.

5) Lebeau - this awesome D all have so much respect and love for this old guy. Even a mention.

Anytime we watch 60 minutes of Steelers TV it is awesome, but I do think that there could have been much more. Maybe they needed a 2 hour show. :D

Good stuff, that would have made a great show even better. But like you said, it was only a 60 minute show. I would have liked them to mention Renegade and how the song led to huge plays in the Ravens Monday night game, the Dallas game and in the AFCCG. Seems like the national media has no idea about the song and its power. Well, maybe its better that way.

SteelerNation1
09-10-2009, 09:24 AM

Good stuff, that would have made a great show even better. But like you said, it was only a 60 minute show. I would have liked them to mention Renegade and how the song led to huge plays in the Ravens Monday night game, the Dallas game and in the AFCCG. Seems like the national media has no idea about the song and its power. Well, maybe its better that way.
RPM,
I swear to God I feel like my "section" in the end zone made that song what it is at Heinz. I'll never forget the first time they played during that PO game vs. Clev. From then on, my buddies/family/wife always call for them to "push the button" (which of course means play the song.).

rpmpit
09-10-2009, 10:42 AM

RPM,
I swear to God I feel like my "section" in the end zone made that song what it is at Heinz. I'll never forget the first time they played during that PO game vs. Clev. From then on, my buddies/family/wife always call for them to "push the button" (which of course means play the song.).

SN1, we all appreciate everything you guys do down in "the Nation". Keep it up!!!

rpmpit
09-10-2009, 01:43 PM
The "five star matchup" post made me think of something else....

What about the "Band of Brothers" thing? Seemed like Ben was using the phrase a lot last year. And I don't think they mentioned it at all last night.

Jigawatts
09-10-2009, 02:15 PM

I can't understand how there is no national attention. Not even a mention of Renegade.
Crazy as it is, Renegade is a phenomenon and another Pittsburgh quirk that makes the
Steelers the Steelers and the Steeeler Nation the Steeler Nation (strz d exempted). :wink:

williar
09-10-2009, 02:19 PM
I thought the 09' episode was compelling. It told the story within the capsule that it to work with. Yes, more definitely could have been added. Heck, I would have loved to have made it a special 3-hour version. Capture all of the drama! I appreciate the stories that were revealed, that the season was so special as it was riviting and truly magical. I won't forget it!

steelblood
09-10-2009, 02:45 PM

I like the idea of including more about Lebeau and the D. Woodley, Smith, and Clark had career years and should have received more coverage.

If Smith was ok with adding the stuff about his son, I'd be interested. Otherwise, I respect his privacy.

frankthetank1
09-10-2009, 02:51 PM

I like the idea of including more about Lebeau and the D. Woodley, Smith, and Clark had career years and should have received more coverage.

If Smith was ok with adding the stuff about his son, I'd be interested. Otherwise, I respect his privacy.

does anyone know how a.smith's son is doing? i havent heard much about it since the week of last years giant's game. i assume its a pretty private issue which is why i assume the media hasnt said much about it

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-10-2009, 03:41 PM

does anyone know how a.smith's son is doing? i havent heard much about it since the week of last years giant's game. i assume its a pretty private issue which is why i assume the media hasnt said much about it

Interestingly no, and I am sure that is out of respect for a quiet yet much respected team leader.

Interesting because in this day and age the media rarely respects the privacy of any celebrities.

sd steel
09-10-2009, 04:56 PM

I can't understand how there is no national attention. Not even a mention of Renegade.
Crazy as it is, Renegade is a phenomenon and another Pittsburgh quirk that makes the
Steelers the Steelers and the Steeeler Nation the Steeler Nation (strz d exempted). :wink:

No offense guys, but I'm sort of glad they aren't touting the powers of the 80's hairband song written and performed by Tommy Shaw of Stix. I know it's a "Burg thing", but really it's kind of hokey. I am pretty sure that if the guy in the music box at the stadium wasn't 45 year old white guy from Pittsburgh there would probably be a different anthem for the Steelers.....one can only wish.

stlrz d
09-10-2009, 07:08 PM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":10smkc3w]A couple of things that I had wanted to get the insight into......

No offense guys, but I'm sort of glad they aren't touting the powers of the 80's hairband song written and performed by Tommy Shaw of Stix. I know it's a "Burg thing", but really it's kind of hokey. I am pretty sure that if the guy in the music box at the stadium wasn't 45 year old white guy from Pittsburgh there would probably be a different anthem for the Steelers.....one can only wish.[/quote:10smkc3w]

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

sd steel
09-11-2009, 01:17 AM
[quote=rpmpit][quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":1ejgcxi8]A couple of things that I had wanted to get the insight into......

No offense guys, but I'm sort of glad they aren't touting the powers of the 80's hairband song written and performed by Tommy Shaw of Stix. I know it's a "Burg thing", but really it's kind of hokey. I am pretty sure that if the guy in the music box at the stadium wasn't 45 year old white guy from Pittsburgh there would probably be a different anthem for the Steelers.....one can only wish.[/quote:1ejgcxi8]

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

:lol:[/quote:1ejgcxi8]

The funny thing is, I'm a 41 year old white guy, but that song seriously sucks. And to have it associated with the team that I love sucks even more.

stlrz d
09-11-2009, 06:41 AM
I'm a 42 year old white guy and I've never liked that song.