PDA

View Full Version : What makes us better this season as opposed to last season

feelthesteel
09-09-2009, 04:41 PM
I mean that SB was tight. Even though we pulled it out.

Oviedo
09-09-2009, 05:00 PM
1. Sepulveda > Berger
2. Logan > everyone else we tried
3. Sweed + Wallace > Washington
4. Timmons > Foote
5. Essex > Stapleton and Simmons
6. 2009 Tomlin > 2006 Cowher

papillon
09-09-2009, 05:29 PM
1. Sepulveda > Berger
4. Timmons > Foote

Just to add the negatives to be fair... :P

Big Snack in decline (see article on why not to keep him)
Timmons is injured
Mendenhall is still unknown
Parker is healthy, but only carried the ball 4 times in pre-season
New right guard

Just sayin...it isn't all roses

Pappy

RKSteel
09-09-2009, 05:30 PM
1. Sepulveda > Berger
4. Timmons > Foote

7. Big Snack, Skippy, FWP, Clark, Colon all in contract years. Players always step it up during last year of their deals.
8. Big Ben, as long as he is the QB Steelers always have a chance.

Uncle Rico
09-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Sepulveda and Logan.

Shoe
09-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Everybody, great points...

You have to factor negatives with the positives for it to mean anything. I do think we have gotten better, most dramatically, in ST's. Logan/Sepulveda is a monstrous upgrade.

I do agree that we do have some player decline, and I do agree that contract players won't/shouldn't slip excessively. Frankly, the only "weakness" as I see it, is the running game/O-line.

Sorry as I am to say it: FWP is a shell of what he was (I think we ran the wheels off him that one year), and the O-line is, well... the O-line. (i.e. not good)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Big Snack in decline (see article on why not to keep him) If DL thought that he is declining he would not be adding packages to get him more plays
Timmons is injured
Mendenhall is still unknown That is no different than last year
Parker is healthy, but only carried the ball 4 times in pre-season He was hurt throughout most of last season. Nothing worse than last year
New right guard Different than last season's worst OL is not a decline

Pappy

papillon
09-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Big Snack in decline (see article on why not to keep him) If DL thought that he is declining he would not be adding packages to get him more plays
Timmons is injured
Parker is healthy, but only carried the ball 4 times in pre-season He was hurt throughout most of last season. Nothing worse than last year

Pappy

Mendenhall being an unknown is big, since, there's only 4 RBs on the roster.

They can add packages all they want for Hampton, his play is slipping. He was able to be blocked by one guy in the preseason and other teams had success running the football against the first team defense this preseason.

Parker and Mendenhall coming back from injury and with Summers never having played in an NFL game only leaves Moore as a known quantity. That's never an ideal situation.

Missing a lineman form an offensive line that everyone is hoping will gel due to playing a year together is a big deal. They have to work a new guard into their schemes, protections and game plan. It's a step backward.

Pappy

mshifko
09-09-2009, 10:16 PM
i'm not going to lie, i think our running game will struggle early on in the season...our passing game is going to have to pick up the slack and i think we can...we have a lot of weapons at wide, ben's on his A game, as long as we can keep D's off balanced we'll be fine.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Timmons is injured

Pappy

They can add packages all they want for Hampton, his play is slipping. He was able to be blocked by one guy in the preseason and other teams had success running the football against the first team defense this preseason.

Parker and Mendenhall coming back from injury and with Summers never having played in an NFL game only leaves Moore as a known quantity. That's never an ideal situation.

Missing a lineman form an offensive line that everyone is hoping will gel due to playing a year together is a big deal. They have to work a new guard into their schemes, protections and game plan. It's a step backward.

Pappy

I'm not saying that Mendenhall and Parker are not big factors, I'm saying that it is no different than last year in that regard.

Mendenhall was unavailable for 3/4 of the year, and did nothing notable before that. Parker was hurt and largely ineffective through most of the season.

As far as the OL, the missing RG IMO is more than compensated by the fact that each of the other 4 have spent time together and the newbie has been on the team and practiced in the system. It looked like Essex was the front runner whether Stapleton got hurt or not.

And going back to your first point, I'll take Lebeau's opinion over anyone on this board. If he wants Hamp on the field more, I'm okay with it.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-09-2009, 11:44 PM
What makes us better?

1) Can the OL be any worse? You had two players forced into starting roles due to injury. The only starter who finished '07 and '08 as a starter was Colon. This year 4 members are returning, and the fifth is a legit replacement despite the injury.

2) Health - Ben's separated shoulder, Parker, Mendenhall, Olinemen, Hampton, Deshea, McFadden, Sepulveda

3) ST was a big upgrade from '07 to '08 due to coverage teams. Now the punting and return teamswill see similar upgrades.

4) Santonio - Don't let the playoff heroics make you forget that he played poorly through most of the year.

5) Disruptions - There were tons of disruptions last year - Santonio pot smoking, Aaron Smith's son, talk of bounties, FWP complaining about touches, Hampton showing up overweight and being punished.

papillon
09-10-2009, 07:56 AM
[quote=papillon]Big Snack in decline (see article on why not to keep him) If DL thought that he is declining he would not be adding packages to get him more plays
Timmons is injured

Pappy

Pappy

I'm not saying that Mendenhall and Parker are not big factors, I'm saying that it is no different than last year in that regard.

Mendenhall was unavailable for 3/4 of the year, and did nothing notable before that. Parker was hurt and largely ineffective through most of the season.

As far as the OL, the missing RG IMO is more than compensated by the fact that each of the other 4 have spent time together and the newbie has been on the team and practiced in the system. It looked like Essex was the front runner whether Stapleton got hurt or not.

And going back to your first point, I'll take Lebeau's opinion over anyone on this board. If he wants Hamp on the field more, I'm okay with it.[/quote:pt76tk13]

You're right these things are basically status quo from last year; my point was that while it may not make us a lesser team than last year, until these questions are answered they are potentially the achilles heel for the Steelers this season.

I'm just not comfortable with the RB situation right now; of course, an outstanding game by Willie and contribution by Mendenhall will go a long way to easing my fears.

Certainly, Lebeau knows infinitely more about football than I ever will; however, my eyes tell me that Hampton isn't the same force he was a few years ago, we'll see. Tonight will be a huge challenge for this defense to stop the run.

Pappy

MaxAMillion
09-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Yes, the OL can be worse. It wasn't the worst in the league last year. It has the potential to be the worst in the league this season. How Colbert and Tomlin think Ben can survive another season behind this OL is beyond me. I expect the run game to be the worst this team has seen in decades.

Colbert has now established that he doesn't believe in using first round picks on OL (Simmons being the only one). I was hoping Tomlin would change that, but it looks like he doesn't think the OL needs upgrading either.

I hope I am wrong, but I don't see Ben playing all 16 games this season.

frankthetank1
09-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Yes, the OL can be worse. It wasn't the worst in the league last year. It has the potential to be the worst in the league this season. How Colbert and Tomlin think Ben can survive another season behind this OL is beyond me. I expect the run game to be the worst this team has seen in decades.

Colbert has now established that he doesn't believe in using first round picks on OL (Simmons being the only one). I was hoping Tomlin would change that, but it looks like he doesn't think the OL needs upgrading either.

i dont think colbert and the front office are against first round picks on o-lineman. i think they always want the best player available. you dont miss out on the best player available just to reach for an o-lineman who wont be there next round. im sure they see the o-line as a weakness there is only so much you can do though. its not like there are a lot of good o-lineman every season in free agency and the draft. i dont see how either the run game or oline could be worse than last season

papillon
09-10-2009, 09:39 AM

i dont think colbert and the front office are against first round picks on o-lineman. i think they always want the best player available. you dont miss out on the best player available just to reach for an o-lineman who wont be there next round. im sure they see the o-line as a weakness there is only so much you can do though. its not like there are a lot of good o-lineman every season in free agency and the draft. i dont see how either the run game or oline could be worse than last season

Faneca was a first round pick, I think. I also agree that the FO goes for the best player available at the time. If they have a player that they truly covet they will mopve up to get him, ie, Troy and Santonio.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2009, 09:47 AM

Faneca was a first round pick, I think. I also agree that the FO goes for the best player available at the time. If they have a player that they truly covet they will mopve up to get him, ie, Troy and Santonio.

Pappy

Yes, he was a 1st round pick, but Faneca was drafted in 1998 and Colbert didn't come here until 2000.

Colbert did draft Marvel Smith early in the 2nd round (38th overall) in his first draft in Pittsburgh.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Yes, the OL can be worse. It wasn't the worst in the league last year. It has the potential to be the worst in the league this season.

How will the OL be worse than last year?

Max Starks starter > Gimpy Marvel then backup Max forced into action
Kemo '09 > first year starter Kemo '08
Hatwig '09 > Hartwig new team '08
Essex > Stapleton - to me this is the only debatable point so far as they are two different people, but I prefer Essex
Colon '09 > Colon '08 no reason other than experience

Other factors

Schedule '09 > schedule '08 - we played every top D last year. This year we should not be facing the same caliber of DL every week

Cohesion '09 > cohesion '08 - 4/5 of the OL was new last year, this year 4/5 are returning

I just can't see how they can be worse than last year.

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Yes, the OL can be worse. It wasn't the worst in the league last year. It has the potential to be the worst in the league this season.

How will the OL be worse than last year?

Max Starks starter > Gimpy Marvel then backup Max forced into action
Kemo '09 > first year starter Kemo '08
Hatwig '09 > Hartwig new team '08
Essex > Stapleton - to me this is the only debatable point so far as they are two different people, but I prefer Essex
Colon '09 > Colon '08 no reason other than experience

Other factors

Schedule '09 > schedule '08 - we played every top D last year. This year we should not be facing the same caliber of DL every week

Cohesion '09 > cohesion '08 - 4/5 of the OL was new last year, this year 4/5 are returning

I just can't see how they can be worse than last year.

The only way that I can see them being worse than last year is if they experience the same level of injuries to the starters that struck last year (because none of the back-up o-linemen has even a single snap in an actual meaningful NFL game).

BigLebowski
09-10-2009, 11:10 AM
schedule '09 > schedule '08 - we played every top D last year. This year we should not be facing the same caliber of DL every week

The easier schedule should definitely improve the regular season record. But I think the easy schedule will be a negative for the superbowl run. Any coach will tell you that you get better playing the good teams (win or lose) rather than playing the mediocre. I truly believe the tough schedule last year helped in the playoff run. :2c

flippy
09-10-2009, 11:43 AM
This team is Big Ben + Defense.

Both should be better.

Another Lombardi's going in the case.

Seven 7s for 7.

Let's go!!!!

papillon
09-10-2009, 11:49 AM
schedule '09 > schedule '08 - we played every top D last year. This year we should not be facing the same caliber of DL every week

The easier schedule should definitely improve the regular season record. But I think the easy schedule will be a negative for the superbowl run. Any coach will tell you that you get better playing the good teams (win or lose) rather than playing the mediocre. I truly believe the tough schedule last year helped in the playoff run. :2c

Easy schedule is relative; there are 7 games against potential division champions: Baltimore (x2), Tennessee, Chicago, San Diego, Minnesota, and Green Bay.

Not sure what Miami will bring, but, they did win the divsion last year.

Be careful thinking the schedule is easy, this is the NFL and teams turn things around quickly.

Pappy

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-10-2009, 03:37 PM

I hear ya Lebowski, and would agree if this was not a team who has been through it before. The majority of this team has won two SBs and also been through a subpar season after winning one. They will know how to take up the intensity level for the playoffs regardless of how tough the road to get there is.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-10-2009, 04:31 PM

I also meant the easier schedule as a reason why the OL will be better, not why the team will be. Last year they were up against a top DL seemingly every week. I expect them to become suddenly better blockers when they are not facing the league's most stout fronts every game.