PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Reed gone this year?

Djfan
09-09-2009, 09:43 AM
He's in his last year and rejected his contract offer. I bet he smells a big payday elsewhere.

Did we keep that other kicker?

RuthlessBurgher
09-09-2009, 09:46 AM
He's in his last year and rejected his contract offer. I bet he smells a big payday elsewhere.

No. We'll retain him. We'll franchise him if we have to. He is worth a kicker franchise tag #. The other potential free agents (Hampton, Colon, Parker, Clark, etc.) would be overpaid if given the franchise tag, but Reed would not be.

Oviedo
09-09-2009, 10:05 AM

No. We'll retain him. We'll franchise him if we have to. He is worth a kicker franchise tag #. The other potential free agents (Hampton, Colon, Parker, Clark, etc.) would be overpaid if given the franchise tag, but Reed would not be.

Agree. Reed rejected IMO because he knew he would get tagged and that was probably worth more than the offer for one year. He is adopting the "Starks strategy" to a new contract.

papillon
09-09-2009, 10:44 AM

Agree. Reed rejected IMO because he knew he would get tagged and that was probably worth more than the offer for one year. He is adopting the "Starks strategy" to a new contract.

If no CBA is reached each team will have two franchise tags to use, I believe. I could see Clark potentially getting one as well; he's a nice fit and appears to want to remain a Steeler.

Pappy

SteelBucks
09-09-2009, 10:48 AM

If no CBA is reached each team will have two franchise tags to use, I believe. I could see Clark potentially getting one as well; he's a nice fit and appears to want to remain a Steeler.

Pappy

Yep, two tags.....and by the way it sounds a new CBA is looking unlikely.

RuthlessBurgher
09-09-2009, 11:28 AM

Pappy

Yep, two tags.....and by the way it sounds a new CBA is looking unlikely.

One tag will be a franchise tag and one will be a transition tag (not two franchise tags).

papillon
09-09-2009, 11:51 AM
One tag will be a franchise tag and one will be a transition tag (not two franchise tags).

That's already the case isn't it? I thought I read somewhere that they were going to give each team an extra franchise tag, maybe not. The current CBA has one franchaise and one transition tag, I believe.

Pappy

pfelix73
09-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Here is where I differ with some of you. I still don't see why he should be paid the big $ when there are more than capable kickers out there that can be signed.

The $ needs to go elsewhere, i.e. Clark before $ is given to a kicker.

Skippy has been good here, but we can get along with others as well.

:tt1

Iron Shiek
09-09-2009, 12:17 PM

That's already the case isn't it? I thought I read somewhere that they were going to give each team an extra franchise tag, maybe not. The current CBA has one franchaise and one transition tag, I believe.

Pappy

I always go to Pat Kirwan of Sirius NFL Radio/NFL.com and he always sets me straight.

Its 1 franchise tag and 2 transition tags

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80864e15&template=with-video&confirm=true

grotonsteel
09-09-2009, 12:39 PM

:Agree

ikestops85
09-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Not many kickers are successful at the ketchup bowl. I say pay the man ... missing FGs can easily equate to missing playoffs.

RuthlessBurgher
09-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Not many kickers are successful at the ketchup bowl. I say pay the man ... missing FGs can easily equate to missing playoffs.

:Agree

There are a lot of other successful kickers that kick in domes or in climates that don't turn the field into mud that is painted green by the end of the season. You have to be a different animal to succeed in at Heinz. Jeff Reed is definitely different. And it is not like a kicker, even the best one in history, is going to command an outrageous cap-busting signing bonus to rival your star QB. Just give him a decent raise over his previous contract and get him back in the fold.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-09-2009, 01:01 PM

:Agree :Agree There's probably some statistic of JR's FG % at Heinz vs visiting kickers, and vs previous Steeler kickers at Heinz, to support this opinion, but I don't need no steenkin' facts to have a strong opinion.

Starlifter
09-09-2009, 01:05 PM
the reality is kicking at heinz is incredibly difficult. it's not hard to find kickers that have better stats, better distance etc. how they WILL kick at heinz though is a complete unknown. Reed has been a great player, consistently very good and is active in the community. I say you go with what you know. saving a few bucks on a new kicker could end up being far more costly.

pfelix73
09-09-2009, 02:02 PM
I think that the reality is that most kickers if given a chance can kick just fine at Heinz. He isn't anything special, IMO.

I'd take David Akers of Philly over JR any day, just to give an example. And he'd be fine at Heinz.

:stirpot

RuthlessBurgher
09-09-2009, 02:19 PM
I think that the reality is that most kickers if given a chance can kick just fine at Heinz. He isn't anything special, IMO.

I'd take David Akers of Philly over JR any day, just to give an example. And he'd be fine at Heinz.

In three out of the past four seasons, Akers' FG percentage was less than 80% (05 72.7%, 06 78.3%, 07 75%, 08 82.5%). Over the same time period Reed only had one season less than 80% and one season above 90% (05 82.8%, 06 74.1%, 07 92%, 08 87.1%). Just sayin'.

pfelix73
09-09-2009, 02:29 PM
I know, Ruthless. But curious- how many attempts did Akers have in each of those years as opposed to Reed?

It seems like Reed's FG's are always closer as the Steelers used to stall quite a bit in the RZ over the years. I'm wondering what the stats would show, say outside of 40+ yards. How many attempts did Reed have vs. Akers or dare I say it Stover in Baltimore- Although his career is about up. Just looking at other Northeast kickers. It can't be fun kicking up in NY either when you have a low pressure system over the NE and the winds are howling in December.

Don't get me wrong- I'm a big fan of Skippy, but if there are limited funds available, I'd prefer to see those funds go to an every down player like a Clark rather than a kicker. Pay both, if you can, but if not, someone has to be let go. It's the nature of the beast.

ikestops85
09-09-2009, 02:53 PM

and the steelers cut Akers back in the day :stirpot

RuthlessBurgher
09-09-2009, 03:02 PM
I know, Ruthless. But curious- how many attempts did Akers have in each of those years as opposed to Reed?

It seems like Reed's FG's are always closer as the Steelers used to stall quite a bit in the RZ over the years. I'm wondering what the stats would show, say outside of 40+ yards. How many attempts did Reed have vs. Akers or dare I say it Stover in Baltimore- Although his career is about up. Just looking at other Northeast kickers. It can't be fun kicking up in NY either when you have a low pressure system over the NE and the winds are howling in December.

Don't get me wrong- I'm a big fan of Skippy, but if there are limited funds available, I'd prefer to see those funds go to an every down player like a Clark rather than a kicker. Pay both, if you can, but if not, someone has to be let go. It's the nature of the beast.

Akers

08 (from 40-49) 8-10 (50+) 2-5
07 (from 40-49) 1-6 (50+) 1-4
06 (from 40-49) 6-8 (50+) 0-0
05 (from 40-49) 5-9 (50+) 1-2

Reed

08 (from 40-49) 8-10 (50+) 1-2
07 (from 40-49) 4-5 (50+) 0-1
06 (from 40-49) 4-7 (50+) 1-1
05 (from 40-49) 6-9 (50+) 0-2

Starlifter
09-09-2009, 08:30 PM
all i know is when skippy steps on the field I am never nervous about him making the kick. sure if it's 45 yards or longer there's anticipation but inside 40 I always think he's money. I don't think the rooney's would make him the highest paid kicker in the league but I think he's one of the top 5 and should have made the pro bowl last year.