PDA

View Full Version : Holmes isn't ready to cede all of the PR duties to Joystick

PSU_dropout43
09-08-2009, 12:43 AM
by Scott Brown

Santonio Holmes isn't ready to cede all of the punt-returning duties to preseason sensation Stefan Logan just yet.

"I don't think anybody said I was not going to be returning punts this year," the Steelers wide receiver said. "That's not completely out of the picture."

Holmes said he would like to serve as a situational punt returner as he did last season.

He has averaged 8.2 yards on punt returns during his career. Holmes returned a punt 67 yards for a touchdown in the Steelers' 35-24 win over the San Diego Chargers in an AFC divisional playoff game last January.

"That's a part of my game," Holmes said of returning punts. "That's a part that gets me excited about going out every Sunday and playing in a game. I feel like I've got more control with the ball in my hands as a punt returner than I do just out there trying to catch passes."

Dan Rooney returned to the Steelers' practice facility yesterday and will be at the game Thursday night.

Rooney, who is now chairman emeritus of the Steelers, is living in Ireland and serving as a United States ambassador to that country.

Digits

8 -- Times Titans quarterback Kerry Collins was sacked in 16 regular-season games last season.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 42006.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_642006.html)

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Tone, Tone, Tone...we don't need you getting hurt returning punts. We only asked you to do it last year because no one else was competant there. We got it covered this year. You take care of your receiving duties. We're good here. Really. Thanks, though.

And it is awesome that Dan Rooney will be in town for the game this week. Wouldn't be the same opening the season with him on the other side of the pond.

flippy
09-08-2009, 06:36 AM
Holmes replacing Logan as a PR is equivalent to Casey Hampton replacing Holmes as a PR.

It's like the Bears putting Rashied Davis out there in Devin Hester's spot.

It just shouldn't happen.

stlrz d
09-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Tone, your PR return days are over.

How 'bout you focus on that receiving thing and lets see if you can give us a 1k+ yard season with say, 8-10 TDs?