PDA

View Full Version : John Harris Article on Madison

DkBlue
09-07-2009, 09:14 AM
The John Harris article on Anthony Madison is the first article I can remember that is really critical of Tomlin.

How bad will Madison be missed on ST? Was he good enough to be a backup corner?

Interesting stuff.

phillyesq
09-07-2009, 09:20 AM
This article seemed very misguided.

Yes, emphasis is placed on special teams, but it is also placed on position flexibility. If Gay leaves as a FA, does Harris think that Madison could replace him? Lewis was drafted because he has that potential -- Madison clearly doesn't.

DkBlue
09-07-2009, 09:22 AM

Yes, emphasis is placed on special teams, but it is also placed on position flexibility. If Gay leaves as a FA, does Harris think that Madison could replace him? Lewis was drafted because he has that potential -- Madison clearly doesn't.

That is the way I see it.

Oviedo
09-07-2009, 09:47 AM

Totally agree. If you were naturally suspicious you would wonder if Madison was Harris' "guy on the inside." Madison's tackles number on special teams was as much a part of the assigned role as his ability. Your gunner should lead the team in special team tackle because that is the role.

Madison offered absolutely nothing as a DB. He was terrible in coverage and I think the combination of who we have in Lewis, Ratliff and Burnett will be fine.

Also don't forget what alot of these guys are doing is laying the foundation for a future article. If special teams are great everyone will forget this. If they stumble Harris will dust this off and seem like he actually knows something by pointing out that he predicted the step back.

steelsnis
09-07-2009, 09:51 AM
My biggest gripe about this article isn't what he said about Madison, it's what he says about Keenen Lewis!

He's already comparing Lewis to Bruce Davis???? Idiot. The worst part is, he's basing it on Lewis getting burned on deep passes during training camp. IN PRACTICE!!! (we talkin about PRACTICE). So let's ignore the fact that he had a whole mess of tackles in the most recent preseason game. Or the bone-jarring hits he delivered or the passes defended. Or the fact that he's about 4 weeks into his pro football career. Let's just declare him a bust now.

Jeez, talk about short-sighted!

This article does smack of sour-grapes. Wonder who pizzed in his cheerios this morning?

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2009, 10:59 AM
John Harris is the worst sports writer covering the Steelers bar none. Ed Bouchette may take douchebaggery to new levels in the chat room, but he is still a good writer. I have never read a Harris piece and come away with anything insightful.

ANPSTEEL
09-07-2009, 11:37 AM
I read this article early this morning, and was actually a little stunned.

Harris throwing Tomlin under the bus??? really?

Clearly, he has some personal allegiance to Madison - how else do you argue the decision?

Harris complains that Mike T preaches "you make the team through special teams"... but doesn't feel it necessary to mention that, oh by the way, you should probably be able to contribute in other facets as well.

Seriously, if you're gonna gripe about Madison- how about Bailey??

Harris even brings money into the argument....

Anthony Madison was a special teams stand out, but had very limited ability to play his assigned position on game day. So, just like Bailey, he didn't make the team.

period.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-07-2009, 12:01 PM

Clearly, he has some personal allegiance to Madison - how else do you argue the decision?

Harris complains that Mike T preaches "you make the team through special teams"... but doesn't feel it necessary to mention that, oh by the way, you should probably be able to contribute in other facets as well.

Anthony Madison was a special teams stand out, but had very limited ability to play his assigned position on game day. So, just like Bailey, he didn't make the team.

period.

Huh?
I thought Bailey DID make the team...wasn't it Donovan Woods who failed to make the final 53? But didn't Woods get signed to the PS?

fezziwig
09-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Bad article for one. Had we or if we lose another player due to salary, this writer would be the first to complain, Madison makes too much money for being a special teams player.
At some point we need to develope players and this is what Tomlin is doing.

Cowher would beat a dead horse in my opinion and didn't allow for, in with the new and out with the old.

If this is the worse he can come up against on Tomlin, Tomlin is really doing things right.

ANPSTEEL
09-07-2009, 12:23 PM

period.

Huh?
I thought Bailey DID make the team...wasn't it Donovan Woods who failed to make the final 53? But didn't Woods get signed to the PS?

So, now I'm the doofus- I could have sworn I saw Bailey's name on the cut list.

The article still sucked- but my argument loses all credibility. :oops:

Madison was robbed. :lol:

grotonsteel
09-07-2009, 12:44 PM

period.

Huh?

I think Woods was injury/waived. I did not see his name on PS. I think Woods is a capable backup LB.

Edit: He was signed to PS. Good news.

NorthCoast
09-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Harris answered his own beef. The Steelers obviously felt they were not getting his salary value from just his play on ST, and a million dollars to make tackles on special teams is a pretty steep price considering some young hungry players would do the same for about 30% of that money.
As for Lewis' poor showing in camp, well I don't know how many CB could keep up with Wallace on a fly pattern. Lewis is perfect for run support and nickel back where his big hits will make opponents pay. I thought his last game show some very high potential and obviously the Steelers felt the same.
I don't think Tomlin is double-speaking at all. He said you COULD make the team by just playing special teams. BUT one-dimensional talent will always be trumped by two-dimensional, ala Madison.

aggiebones
09-08-2009, 10:48 AM
I read this and was kinda pissed that a writer would carry that big of a grudge about 'something'

Clearly he is holding a grudge or is totally lost on football.
OK, so he is a good STmer.
There's only so many of those spots to go around. Maybe Logan stole one of those spots. I'd rather have Logan frankly.

This was a real odd article and I think it was way off. i think Tomlin would keep a backup that was locked in a battle if he can play good special teams. But how many guys can you keep that ONLY play STs. Maybe 1. And no, you aren't gonna pay them big pimp money to do it. Davis had potential to me for FB/short yardage, but never lived up to it. There's only so much money to go around and after winning a couple SBs, our players all want more of it. Yes, there will be some unfair cuts or non-signings. Just the way its gonna be. The Steelers will keep the younger talent and older leaders.

phillyesq
09-08-2009, 12:07 PM
John Harris is the worst sports writer covering the Steelers bar none. Ed Bouchette may take douchebaggery to new levels in the chat room, but he is still a good writer. I have never read a Harris piece and come away with anything insightful.

Completely agree. Harris has no insight, no inside information, nothing. He is the worst, and there is no contest.