PDA

View Full Version : Steelers still not a sexy pick

fordfixer
09-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Steelers still not a sexy pick

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, September 6, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 41817.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_641817.html)

For all the talk about New England going for three consecutive Super Bowl wins, it was the Steelers who won Super Bowl XL.

Last year, it was supposed to be the New York Giants' turn to repeat as Super Bowl champions.

Instead, it was just the Steelers again, winning another Super Bowl their second in four seasons.

When the Steelers faced Arizona in Super Bowl XLIII, Bill Cowher who coached and personally drafted some of the Steelers who played in that game; heck, who won Super Bowl XL with many of those players picked the Cardinals to win.

Former Steelers cornerback and recent Hall of Famer Rod Woodson picked Arizona to win because of the Steelers secondary, of all things.

This preseason, ESPN's Chris Mortensen not only didn't pick the Steelers to repeat, he didn't even pick them to win the AFC North. After visiting Baltimore's training camp, Mortensen selected the Ravens to win the division.

Does anyone else detect a disturbing, anti-Steelers bias?

"We're not the fun team. We're not going to give you the headlines. I guess because of that, people don't respect us," Steelers free safety Ryan Clark said. "All we did was go 12-4 with supposedly one of the hardest schedules in a long time and won the Super Bowl."

Opinions were formed this offseason with players from opposing teams telling Clark the Steelers won't repeat.

"We don't have the Chad (Ochocincos) and Ray Lewises, the guys they say are superstars. James Harrison is the defensive MVP, but that's still not talked about. People still say it should have been (Dallas') DeMarcus Ware. I don't think they view our guys as stars," Clark said. "It's like no matter what a guy on this team accomplishes, it's always a negative.

"You don't read about us on Twitter. Nobody here tweeting about the (cafeteria) food. We're very uninteresting. It's the way we're built we're built like the town we play in. We come to work every day and just carry our lunch pails. I think that's why people look at us and say we're not that good."

What the Steelers have done better than any team is win Super Bowls.

When the Steelers prepare for each season, their sole purpose is to compete for the Super Bowl. It's what they believe. It's their reality, their obsession.

It's why Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes hasn't make public demands to become a bigger part of the offense, why left guard Chris Kemoeatu took less money to remain with the Steelers, why the players willingly sacrifice their personal goals for the good of the team.

Who do you think New England had to beat to get into two of the three Super Bowls it has won this decade? The Steelers.

Who was Baltimore coach John Harbaugh so eager to avoid facing in the Thursday night opener? The Steelers.

Of course.

"It's fine that people feel that way about us. But when you play us, whether you win or lose, you know you've been in a football game. You're not going to leave the same," Clark said. "When you go home to your wife or girlfriend, she's going to know you've been in a fight. That's our goal every week."

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-06-2009, 11:03 PM
They had 4 or 5 clowns in today's picking the AFC/NFC champs this year and eventual superbowl winners. What does that make, 4 or 5 chances for the Steelers to be mentioned? These losers didn't mention them even once. Baltimore, *, sure, but not the Steelers. One delusionary even picked Cowboys against Texans (with the justification ..."Hey, who would have picked the Cardinals at the start of last year?").

I love it!!!

Shoe
09-06-2009, 11:42 PM
Gee, you think? Check this article from usatoday:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... ings_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-09-03-qb-power-rankings_N.htm)

2 Super Bowl wins, 4 years = 7th best QB in the league... under Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Warner among the other usual suspects. Nothing against those guys either, but c'mon. 7th best??? Rodgers doesn't even have a winning season under his belt. (I think Rodgers is a real nice player, but how you gonna put him above Ben?)

feelthesteel
09-07-2009, 12:40 AM
Under the radar =love it
but deep down they the other teams r scared of us

ramblinjim
09-07-2009, 01:07 AM
all the others can talk. we will walk. No worries. Someone pick the frikkin Bengals to wing the North. Fine.. We'll just make you look stupid.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-07-2009, 09:20 AM
We will see what they say once we are 7-0 heading into the bye week with wins over the Titans, Bears, Chargers and Vikings.

The talking heads have no clue. We lose two players from a defense that was mentioned as one of the tops EVER, and replace them with players of equal or greater caliber, and we aren't even mentioned as probable Superbowl reps for the AFC? That is beyond ridiculous. There is a major bias against the Steelers.

I hope our players all see who the talking heads are picking...how they are being dissed by damn near everyone outside of Steeler Nation. I hope Ben sees that he isn't even mentioned in the top 5 QB's this season, let alone all time even though he owns 2 SB rings. I hope James Harrison is pissed off that people feel he wasn't deserving of DPOY. I

I hope Willie Parker has a chip on his shoulder coming into a contract year after an injury riddled season and breaks out again. I hope Casey Hampton, heading into a contract year, is in the best shape he has been in for a long time for that one more big paycheck.

Steelers are going to win it all again, and again, we will hear why they aren't that good. And again, we will sit back and smile, shake our heads, at all of the naysayers and headline seekers. Let them follow around all the loudmouths and problem children while our Steelers silently dominate the rest of the league.

Chachi
09-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Don't give me sexy.

Give me rings.

But don't worry, the "experts" don't know sh+t.

The teams, however....

As part of their scheduling requests to the league, the Ravens asked not to play a prime-time game at Heinz Field this season, a team official told The Baltimore Sun.

That......says it all. :Beer

Mister Pittsburgh
09-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Clayton might not have much hair, but at least he has a brain.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview09 ... id=4446985 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview09/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4446985)

He has us going 12-4....winning the AFC....and beating the Giants in the Superbowl.

Clayton's projected standings
AFC East W L
New England 10 6
Miami 8 8
Buffalo 7 9
New York Jets 6 10

AFC North W L
Pittsburgh 12 4
Baltimore 10 6
Cincinnati 7 9
Cleveland 6 10

AFC South W L
Indianapolis 11 5
Tennessee 10 6
Houston 9 7
Jacksonville 5 11

AFC West W L
San Diego 12 4
Kansas City 4 12
Oakland 4 12
Denver 3 13

NFC East W L
New York Giants 11 5
Philadelphia 10 6
Washington 9 7
Dallas 8 8

NFC North W L
Minnesota 11 5
Chicago 10 6
Green Bay 10 6
Detroit 2 14

NFC South W L
Atlanta 10 6
Carolina 10 6
New Orleans 8 8
Tampa Bay 4 12

NFC West W L
Arizona 9 7
Seattle 9 7
San Francisco 7 9
St. Louis 4 12

AFC champion: Pittsburgh
NFC champion: New York Giants
Super Bowl winner: Pittsburgh

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2009, 10:52 AM
We lose two players from a defense that was mentioned as one of the tops EVER, and replace them with players of equal or greater caliber, and we aren't even mentioned as probable Superbowl reps for the AFC? That is beyond ridiculous. There is a major bias against the Steelers.

And both of the guys who are new starters split time at those positions for the majority of last season, and are each potential upgrades. I believe I heard someone say on the radio yesterday that after the Seymour trade, the Asterisks will be replacing 6 players out of 11 on their defense now...more than half of their defensive starters are new faces. And they are regularly mentioned as potential Super Bowl darlings. Whatever.

Djfan
09-07-2009, 11:43 AM
When I was a kid all us guys looked at and talked about the sexy girls, but never had any results from them. They were just eye candy.

The real memories are from the "girl next door". She was the one who stole our hearts and occupied our memories. You did let those go.

Guess some things never change.

flippy
09-07-2009, 11:51 AM
According to who?

I'm still picking them to win it all.....

fordfixer
09-07-2009, 10:56 PM
When I was a kid all us guys looked at and talked about the sexy girls, but never had any results from them. They were just eye candy.

The real memories are from the "girl next door". She was the one who stole our hearts and occupied our memories. You did let those go.

Guess some things never change.

:Agree :Clap :Clap :Clap