PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin: FWP won't rotate with Mendy

PSU_dropout43
09-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Tomlin: 'Parker's our runner'
by Kevin Gorman

Willie Parker didn't play in three of the four preseason games, but Steelers coach Mike Tomlin made it clear that he has no plans to rotate Parker and Rashard Mendenhall at running back.

"Willie Parker's our runner," Tomlin said Friday afternoon. "Rashard's done a nice job and he's going to get an opportunity to get his touches, but more important than anything else, Willie Parker is our runner."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 41733.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_641733.html)

frankthetank1
09-06-2009, 01:17 PM
i dont like it. fwp is older these days and injuries are starting to mount up. i think they should split work a little bit

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-06-2009, 01:46 PM
I like it, Mendy can be in the wings as needed, and if he's not it's because FWP is doing well.

NC Steeler Fan
09-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Um, did it occur to anyone that Tomlin isn't going to tip his hand right now
to other teams for game planning purposes?

Just sayin'...

Jooser
09-06-2009, 03:02 PM
On one hand he says they're not going to rotate. On the other, he says that Mendy will get his share of carries....gotta love Tomlin double speak. :D

AngryAsian
09-06-2009, 03:10 PM
The whole reason why we've had FWP so injury plagued is because we tried to "run the wheels off" of him via single sets. Backfield by consensus is the only way to survive in today's NFL.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Why not use up a commodity you are going to let go at seasons end and save the legs of your future as much as possible.

Shoe
09-06-2009, 04:18 PM
IMO, it says MUCH more about Tomlin's opinion of Mendenhall than anything else. If this was say, Jonathan Stewart from Carolina, do you think Tomlin wouldn't divy up the workload? (to give Stewart carries)
Or say it was Shady McCoy, who's done a good job for Philly in the preseason. Don't you think he'd give McCoy some opportunities as a feature back?

I think the answer is yes.

What it tells me is that Mendenhall doesn't instill the coach with confidence, eithr in his pure ability as a runner, or his other responsibilites, or whatever.

FWIW, I agree with it. Mendenhall hasn't shown anything to me, other than making me nervous when he enters a game. Run FWP til the wheels fall off! ...and if they do, let Mewelde pick up the slack.

stlrz d
09-06-2009, 04:29 PM
On one hand he says they're not going to rotate. On the other, he says that Mendy will get his share of carries....gotta love Tomlin double speak. :D

Correct. Anyone who "sees" any more in it than that is simply:

http://mamadance.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/debbie_downer1.jpg

NorthCoast
09-06-2009, 07:06 PM
IMO, it says MUCH more about Tomlin's opinion of Mendenhall than anything else. If this was say, Jonathan Stewart from Carolina, do you think Tomlin wouldn't divy up the workload? (to give Stewart carries)
Or say it was Shady McCoy, who's done a good job for Philly in the preseason. Don't you think he'd give McCoy some opportunities as a feature back?

I think the answer is yes.

What it tells me is that Mendenhall doesn't instill the coach with confidence, eithr in his pure ability as a runner, or his other responsibilites, or whatever.

FWIW, I agree with it. Mendenhall hasn't shown anything to me, other than making me nervous when he enters a game. Run FWP til the wheels fall off! ...and if they do, let Mewelde pick up the slack.

Gotta agree with Shoe here. It's not like Mendenhall has shown enough to earn more carries. Actually, if you go by that standard Redman should be splitting time with Parker. And Mendy has been known to put the ball on the ground at times as well...no complaints here with Tomlin's decision.

SteelBucks
09-06-2009, 07:32 PM
BUSTENHALL :stirpot

papillon
09-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Rotating running backs would be using two running backs and alternating them every second series or sop. Tomlin has no plans to do that regardless of the running back for the Steelers is going to be. However, Mendenhall will get proabably 2 series and maybe a third during the course of a game, plus some special situations that Arians believes may play to his strengths.

Hopefully, this will get Mendenhall 10-12 touches per game and reduce Willies to 15-18. It should be good for both backs.

pappy

feltdizz
09-06-2009, 10:10 PM
no way would I rotate Mendenhall right now.. He is a 1st round Verron Haynes IMO..

seriously.. and this isn't a knock on Mend because he is young as hell and had one year as a full time RB IN COLLEGE no less...

I don't think he will see the field in close games and will spell FWP in blowouts..
I don't think Mend is on a Timmons level just yet where he has to see the field because he is just too damn good at getting to the QB or out in space..

There just isn't an area where Mend is just too damn good not to have him on the field with Moore in the mix..

if Mend was a 3rd or 6th rounder.. IMHO he would be on the practice squad this year just like Redman..

I think he will be a beast once he figures out what the hell he is... big back/cutback runner/ etc... right now he just hits the hole and goes down on first contact.

Djfan
09-07-2009, 12:10 PM
BUSTENHALL :stirpot

That's funny dude!

grotonsteel
09-07-2009, 12:36 PM

I don't think its completely true. Look at the way Tomlin handled Vick situation. Steelers did not considered Vick because it could have messed up Big Ben head.

I think he is following the same rule here. You don't tell a senior player on the team before start of a season that your workload is going to be shared especially when Willie is playing for a contract. You don't want Broncos stuff happening here.

Mendy is a rookie and he will get his 10-12 carries a game this season unless he is a bust.

:2c

NorthCoast
09-07-2009, 06:57 PM
I like to paraphrase Tomlin on this decision (since I don't remember the quote exactly). Tomlin said something to the effect that he doesn't make the decisions, the players make the decision by their play. The Logan signing is a prime example, Tomlin had no choice but to sign Logan after what he did in preseason. If Mendy did the same, my guess is we would see him alot more. But I still agree with others, all things being equal, you leave your senior RB as 'the man' until someone shows it is not a wise decision by their play.

(BTW, the Stains are dealing with the same issue with Jamal Lewis and now some guy named James Davis who apparently tore it up so much in preseason there was talk they might not retain Lewis (they did). Still, Mangini's penchant for secrecy will no doubt leave everyone wondering who the starter is....just like the QB situation. What an f-up organization.)