PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Redman to PS; Harris claimed by Carolina

PSU_dropout43
09-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Steelers sign Redman to practice squad
Sunday, September 06, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Rookie running back Isaac Redman cleared waivers and the Steelers signed him this afternoon to their eight-man practice squad.

Redman was the surprise hit of the preseason. He led the Steelers in scoring with three rushing touchdowns and also with 145 yards rushing. In nine chances over two live goal-line drills in training camp practices, he scored seven times.

He quickly picked up the nickname "Redzone" Redman but when the Steelers kept just four running backs, down one from last season, Redman was released on Saturday.

No one else claimed him and he joined seven others on their practice squad.

Among others on their practice squad are center A.Q. Shipley, defensive end Sonny Harris -- both draft picks this year -- rookie defensive tackle Steve McLendon, running back Justin Vincent, tight end Dezmond Sherrod and rookie wide receiver Tyler Grisham.

EDIT: Defensive end Sonny Harris, the Steelers' sixth-round draft pick, was poised to sign to their practice squad when he was told the Carolina Panthers had claimed him off waivers. He said goodbye to his former teammates in the locker room.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09249/99 ... z0QLlKTkS5 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09249/996099-100.stm#ixzz0QLlKTkS5)

RuthlessBurgher
09-06-2009, 12:55 PM
NICE!!! I'm overjoyed to have Redman, Sonny, and Shipley back on board. I'm not all that high on keeping Vincent and Sherrod around. I'd see if Bruce Davis wants a spot on the P.S., a possibly a developmental OT that was cut by another team.

Shoe
09-06-2009, 01:07 PM
NICE!!! I'm overjoyed to have Redman, Sonny, and Shipley back on board. I'm not all that high on keeping Vincent and Sherrod around. I'd see if Bruce Davis wants a spot on the P.S., a possibly a developmental OT that was cut by another team.

I too want to see Davis added to the PS... I'm guessing, that he will get looks from other teams (being a recent 3rd rounder), but striking out as a 34 'backer in the mecca of 34 defense might scare some away too.

I just want him for one more year.

I do wonder why you want Sonny Harris. I admit, I don't know much about him (don't really focus on him when I watch). What makes him someone you want to keep?

steelsnis
09-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Shoe,

I think Harris is a keeper too. From what i've read this year (and the games I've watched), he's a bonafide 3/4 defensive lineman. Reportedly John Mitchell loves him and Aaron Smith said just the other day that he'll definitely be a player in this league.

Supposedly, they were trying to work a trade for Kirschke so they could add Harris to the active roster but I guess that didn't happen.

I've watched him get to the QB with pressures during the preseason and saw him in the backfield a few times. Legit 3/4 d lineman are hard to come by but i guess Tomlin and Co. wanted to keep some more DB's to add speed on special teams?

MeetJoeGreene
09-06-2009, 01:17 PM
I am really happy AQ and Redzone made it to the PS!!!

Steelgal
09-06-2009, 01:31 PM
The article must have been edited because now it states that Carolina has claimed Harris off of waivers :HeadBanger

Defensive end Sonny Harris, the Steelers' sixth-round draft pick, was poised to sign to their practice squad when he was told the Carolina Panthers had claimed him off waivers. He said goodbye to his former teammates in the locker room.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09249/99 ... z0QLgpnoS5 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09249/996099-100.stm#ixzz0QLgpnoS5)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-06-2009, 01:44 PM
How does the PS work - are they protected from other teams, or at any time can they be claimed?

grotonsteel
09-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Harris to Panthers....Dang that hurts......... :HeadBanger

NC Steeler Fan
09-06-2009, 02:11 PM
"Redzone" Redman!!...there is yet hope!!

Whooohoooo!!!

I'm glad Vincent will be around for a bit too. Not that I've watched
him a lot, but I paid attention to him at the Carolina game after
he had to leave the field after getting dinged. It looked to me like the
staff wanted him to sit a while, but I could see through the binoclulars
he was chomping at the bit to get back out there; and finally made a
case to take the field. Call me a softie, but I like that in a player.

ramblinjim
09-06-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm not surprised Carolina is looking for Defensive Linemen, they are in trouble up front right now. I'm surprised we couldn't work out a deal for Kirschke to Carolina of some sort.

PSU_dropout43
09-06-2009, 02:33 PM
How does the PS work - are they protected from other teams, or at any time can they be claimed?

A player can be claimed at any time, but that player must be on team's 53-man roster for a minimum of 3 weeks.

So, Sonny Harris goes from Steelers' PS to Panthers' 53-man roster.

kindlecatsb'ng
09-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Would someone also explain how "waivers" works with these players? Is it a matter of timing for one team to take another team's players.

TIA,

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!

ramblinjim
09-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Would someone also explain how "waivers" works with these players? Is it a matter of timing for one team to take another team's players.

TIA,

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!

Ok, I think this is how this works. When a team releases a player from their 53 man roster, that player goes out on waivers. At that point, I believe each team has a certain amount of time to claim that player to their 53 man roster. I think, and this could be wrong, that a player goes through "waivers" in the order of how the teams finished last year, Ie. for Harris, Detroit had the first crack at him, etc. Once a player "clears waivers" then the team that released him can re-sign him, etc.

I think that's how it works.

stlrz d
09-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Hmmmm...I wonder who it is around here who said Redman would make our PS???

;)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-06-2009, 04:37 PM

TIA,

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!

Ok, I think this is how this works. When a team releases a player from their 53 man roster, that player goes out on waivers. At that point, I believe each team has a certain amount of time to claim that player to their 53 man roster. I think, and this could be wrong, that a player goes through "waivers" in the order of how the teams finished last year, Ie. for Harris, Detroit had the first crack at him, etc. Once a player "clears waivers" then the team that released him can re-sign him, etc.

Thanks for the info, one question I still have is after they have been signed/re-signed, to the PS, are they safe from being snatched by other teams?

Thanks!

stlrz d
09-06-2009, 04:52 PM

TIA,

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info, one question I still have is after they have been signed/re-signed, to the PS, are they safe from being snatched by other teams?

Thanks!

No. Teams can sign from other team's PS at any time, but the player must be added to the 53 man roster. Can't go from PS to PS.

Redman is safe...no one is going to add him to their 53 man roster.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks, strlz_d!

stlrz d
09-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks, strlz_d!

You're welcome. :)

steelblood
09-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Harris should have been retained at the expense of Eason. Harris runs well and showed great pocket collapsing strength in the preseason. I loved his potential.

SteelBucks
09-06-2009, 06:50 PM

It's good to see Redman is still around. We'll need him next year when the Steelers cut Mendenhall. :stirpot

DukieBoy
09-06-2009, 07:32 PM
What's up with Mike Reilly ? Anybody pick him up? Might be good to carry him on PS. Looked like he's got some tools.

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2009, 11:14 AM
I guess Tomlin can also play the "sign someone to give us inside info" game. Gotta love a name like Tuff for a football player. Interesting fact: He's a member of Crow Nation (no, that is not a Ravens fan club...it is a Native American tribe).

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09250/996226-100.stm

Steelers add eighth player to practice squad
Monday, September 07, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers this morning filled out their practice squad of eight players when they signed defensive back Tuff Harris, 26.

Harris was cut by the Tennessee Titans, where he played six games last season. He played one game for the Miami Dolphins in 2007. He played college ball at Montana.