PDA

View Full Version : What did we learn from the last Titans game (bleh)?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-06-2009, 09:49 AM
That game sucked. It seems like, as I think I remember, Collins had all friggin day to pick apart our secondary. His success against our D was kind of a foreshadowing of Warner's 2nd half "heroics" in the Superbowl.

Does anyone remember enough details about that game last December to maybe discuss why things should be better this time around? I know Haynesworth is gone, and that might get us more points, but what actually went wrong with our D last game against them?

Thanks!

Ozey74
09-06-2009, 09:58 AM
The Steelers had a first round bye wrapped up when the teams last met & I think that they were content with that. The winner of the game clinched home field advantage for the playoffs. I attended that game & the Steelers played awful. I look for much more inspired play on Thursday night. :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
09-06-2009, 10:32 AM
That game sucked. It seems like, as I think I remember, Collins had all friggin day to pick apart our secondary. His success against our D was kind of a foreshadowing of Warner's 2nd half "heroics" in the Superbowl.

Does anyone remember enough details about that game last December to maybe discuss why things should be better this time around? I know Haynesworth is gone, and that might get us more points, but what actually went wrong with our D last game against them?

Thanks!

Haynesworth was injured and did not play in their last game against us. His back-up, rookie Jason Jones, who is Albert's full-time replacement at DT in his second year, ate us alive in that game with THREE-AND-A-HALF SACKS!!!

NorthCoast
09-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Titans have a good, young team. I know you can't read much into it, but the Tits were ranked 12th on D in preseason and O was 24th. (Steelers O ranked 30th).

The X-factor; Heinz field will be rockin and Logan makes a big splash to start the season.

frankthetank1
09-06-2009, 10:36 AM

Thanks!

Haynesworth was injured and did not play in their last game against us. His back-up, rookie Jason Jones, who is Albert's full-time replacement at DT in his second year, ate us alive in that game with THREE-AND-A-HALF SACKS!!!

i assume that is why the titans didnt want to pay haynesworth a lot of money. jones looked great as a rookie

stlrz d
09-06-2009, 03:07 PM
I remember Ben saying the team felt like they could play "loose" for that game because they didn't feel like they had a whole lot to gain by winning.

I also think they felt like they would meet the Titans in the playoffs eventually and didn't want to show much.

buckeyehoppy
09-06-2009, 03:24 PM

Thanks!

I remember really liking Jones when he was coming outta college. He might be the next great star outta Eastern Michigan since Charlie Batch.

Not really concerned about this game. The Steelers didn't have anything to lose going in to Nashville last year...and they played like it. By far, it was their worst game of the year.

However, what the Titans did to T3 sealed their fate for the foreseeable future vs. the Steelers. No team that defiles T3 comes out looking very good the next time around. Have the Bungholes even beaten the Black and Gold since their exploits with T3?

T3 is the genuine article. The rest are just c*m rags and toilet paper.

If you foul with the Towel
Your @$$ is grass
We are the Pittsburgh Steelers...
...a team with class...and 6 Lombardi Trophies!

Shoe
09-06-2009, 04:20 PM
People are getting the wrong impression, I think... I mean, I don't remember the game much TBH, but I don't think we got owned or anything. If I recall, the game turned on a crucial play or two.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the comments, but is my memory wrong that our D got owned, and that was a main reason we lost? I have this mental image of Kerry Collins completing pass after pass just milliseconds before our guys got to him, to hit guys that were open enough to score a lot of points.

?

Thanks -

Lonbull
09-06-2009, 07:58 PM
We learned that if Ben gives up the ball like Candy at Easter we'll lose....it was a really bad game for Ben - our first half was solid, our second half we fell apart - this had more to do with letting the Titans play "our" game - which is ball control and turnovers on defense.

The highlights help:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008122107/2008/REG16/steelers@titans#tab:watch

If the Defense plays up to their usual hard nosed self and Ben gets into a zone - the outcome should be much different.

L.B.

feltdizz
09-06-2009, 09:27 PM
I remember Chris Johnson and the fat TE Crumpler abusing us..

I also remember thinking to myself.. back in the day the old Steelers would win this type of game.. then lose to the same team in the playoffs because we put it all on the line to make a statement but had nothing new for the playoffs.

Doogie36
09-08-2009, 12:59 PM
James Harrison left that game hurt as well in the 1st quarter I believe. I think he was having back issues if I remember correctly.

SteelerNation1
09-08-2009, 01:06 PM
As soon as Big Ben fumbled the ball in the red zone, that game changed IIRC.

steeler_george
09-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Ben threw 2 pics 2 fumbles...enough said why we lost.

BigLebowski
09-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Ben threw 2 pics 2 fumbles...enough said why we lost.
Ding Ding Ding , we have a winner. You cannot turn the ball over against a team like the Titans and expect to win. Let alone a pick 6 IIRC.

Hines' Field will be rockin'----Kemo will not give up 3 sacks----Chris Johnson's speed will no longer be a surprise----and lastly Ben will not put the ball on the carpet twice(let alone at the one)

:tt1

Iron Shiek
09-08-2009, 04:40 PM
The play that I will never forget was Timmons missing coverage on Crumpler (I think) on a long third down play allowing a first down near the sideline. I was so pissed, but chalked it up to a rookie mistake. That extended the drive and killed us if I recall correctly.

But I agree with Ben's turnover issues being the main issue.

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2009, 05:33 PM
The play that I will never forget was Timmons missing coverage on Crumpler (I think) on a long third down play allowing a first down near the sideline. I was so pissed, but chalked it up to a rookie mistake. That extended the drive and killed us if I recall correctly.

But I agree with Ben's turnover issues being the main issue.

Except that Timmons wasn't a rookie last year. Mendenhall and Sweed were.

Iron Shiek
09-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Well he saw no time in his real rookie season..I guess it was a freudian (?) slip?

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Well he saw no time in his real rookie season..I guess it was a freudian (?) slip?

I also found it amusing how you referred to it as a "play I will never forget" and then in the same sentence say "Crumpler (I think)." :lol: You forgot already!!!

stlrz d
09-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I remember Chris Johnson and the fat TE Crumpler abusing us..

I also remember thinking to myself.. back in the day the old Steelers would win this type of game.. then lose to the same team in the playoffs because we put it all on the line to make a statement but had nothing new for the playoffs.

69 yards is abusing us???