PDA

View Full Version : This is strange...Anthony "Killswitch" Smith

papillon
09-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Cut by the Packers (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/05/packers-cut-brian-brohm-anthony-smith/)

I heard he was playing very well this pre-season. :wft

Pappy

papillon
09-05-2009, 10:09 PM
A mod can move this in with Ruthlessburgher's "Do any cuts interest you thread?"

Pappy

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Dumb question - is this our old Anthony Smith who could hit real hard but not do anything else nearly as well, and ran his mouth like a dumb piece of trash (guaranteeing wins, then losing games)?

Same guy that Cowher told "We don't do it that way here" when he hotdogged after an interception?

If not, sorry for taking up this bandwidth! If so, I'd take him if he came with an official certification of maturity, otherwise, let the *'s have him. He'll get along well with Randy Moss.

Oviedo
09-05-2009, 11:01 PM
They probably realized he only had one brain cell that worked and he couldn't cover a bed with a blanket.

RuthlessBurgher
09-06-2009, 01:29 AM
Dumb question - is this our old Anthony Smith who could hit real hard but not do anything else nearly as well, and ran his mouth like a dumb piece of trash (guaranteeing wins, then losing games)?

Same guy that Cowher told "We don't do it that way here" when he hotdogged after an interception?

If not, sorry for taking up this bandwidth! If so, I'd take him if he came with an official certification of maturity, otherwise, let the *'s have him. He'll get along well with Randy Moss.

Yes, that guy. Except it was LeBeau who chewed him out after the hotdog INT return, not Cowher.

Scarletfire1970
09-06-2009, 07:20 AM
I guess I was the only one who liked the guy.

I still maintain the NE guarantee thing was blown way out of proportion.

Oviedo
09-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Another "fan legend" who has now proven to two teams he can't hack it. It is great how as time goes on we continually see how our front office and staff gets it right no matter what board experts have evaluated. This year's legend, Issac Redman, will in time likely prove our staff correct again.

stlrz d
09-06-2009, 08:43 AM
What's funny is the local sports talk buzz just a week ago was that he was pushing for a starting role.

Guess they were wrong....

fezziwig
09-06-2009, 09:20 AM

Yes, that guy. Except it was LeBeau who chewed him out after the hotdog INT return, not Cowher.

Is he also the guy that put a hit on Hines Ward during practice ?

The Pack might have learned his poor attitude and allowed that to be a factor. I will agree, I think the whole thing about a sure win against the cheats was blown up just for the medias sake. What I remember him saying, if we do this, if we do that, execute and play the game we know we can play, we will win.

To tell you the truth, you shouldn't be playing football, boxing or whatever sports if you don't feel you can win.
I personally did not care for Smith because of his attitude. He made solid hits/tackles but after that, he was average with a chip on his shoulder.

RuthlessBurgher
09-06-2009, 10:18 AM

The Pack might have learned his poor attitude and allowed that to be a factor. I will agree, I think the whole thing about a sure win against the cheats was blown up just for the medias sake. What I remember him saying, if we do this, if we do that, execute and play the game we know we can play, we will win.

To tell you the truth, you shouldn't be playing football, boxing or whatever sports if you don't feel you can win.
I personally did not care for Smith because of his attitude. He made solid hits/tackles but after that, he was average with a chip on his shoulder.

Yup, he cheap-shotted Hines in a non-contact practice. He also laid out Willie Reid in a similar situation twice, back when Reid was showing promise but always seemed to be hurt (getting crushed by an idiot safety teammate when you aren't wearing full pads doesn't help keep you off the injury report).

frankthetank1
09-06-2009, 10:28 AM

no i liked him too. he played pretty well his rookie season when troy was hurt. i thought he had a lot of potential. the ne guarantee was so stupid. the guy was confident, i would hope every other steeler is very confident before every game. the hit on hines was really stupid though

ghettoscott
09-06-2009, 11:34 AM

no i liked him too. he played pretty well his rookie season when troy was hurt. i thought he had a lot of potential. the ne guarantee was so stupid. the guy was confident, i would hope every other steeler is very confident before every game. the hit on hines was really stupid though

hell yeah the NE was blown out of proportion, hopefully someone will pick him up....maybe us :)

Shoe
09-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Whether or not you think it was blown out of proportion, as a marginal player going up against the best QB* at the time, you need to STFU and mind your P's & Q's. Not pop off.

Then, you go out AND get burned?

The guy is a duma$s; yeah, he hit hard and I used to kinda hope that he would be a Gary Jones-type for us. Turned out to be a Delton Hall.

buckeyehoppy
09-06-2009, 02:37 PM
What's funny is the local sports talk buzz just a week ago was that he was pushing for a starting role.

Guess they were wrong....

Not to say anything bad about the local media in Green Bay, but Madison would be a step up for the locals in GB with an eye toward Milwaukee in a couple years after that and, maybe, Chicago a couple after that.

Big oopsie for the Packers coverage in GB... :moon

buckeyehoppy
09-06-2009, 02:43 PM
They probably realized he only had one brain cell that worked and he couldn't cover a bed with a blanket.

Quote of the day, Ovie!

Hope he enjoys his new position...as a grocery clerk at the Piggly Wiggly!

Acero
09-06-2009, 03:02 PM
I was flipping around the tv the other day, and on NFLN they were airing the Packers - Bengals game. I tuned in just in time to watch a Green Bay defensive back lay an opposing receiver out. My initial impression, being that it was the Bengals, was "nice hit". A couple of seconds later the yellow hankie went flying and the Packers player was flagged for a vicious helmet to helmet hit. They showed the replay and indeed it was a stupid, vicious, intentional helmet to helmet hit. If this Packers player had just made a hit like he was supposed to, it was 4th down and long. As it turned out: 15 yards and a first down for the Bengals.

I think it would be redundant to mention the Packers player by name. I for one am glad he`s gone.

fezziwig
09-07-2009, 12:03 PM

Yup, he cheap-shotted Hines in a non-contact practice. He also laid out Willie Reid in a similar situation twice, back when Reid was showing promise but always seemed to be hurt (getting crushed by an idiot safety teammate when you aren't wearing full pads doesn't help keep you off the injury report).

I forgot about Reid and twice. I checked out the Greenbay board about him, it's a mixed opinion of Smith being cut. Reading some of the more intelligent post on Smith, looks like the correct move.