PDA

View Full Version : Looking over the cuts from other teams, anyone interest you?

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2009, 09:54 PM
I'd go with Tony Pashos, offensive tackle from the Jacksonville Jaguars. He's 6'6" and 326 lbs. and is only 29 years old. He has 6 years experience (4 in Baltimore and 2 in Jacksonville) and was a full-time starter for the last 3 seasons. When Jacksonville signed OT Tra Thomas from the Eagles and then drafted OT's Eugene Monroe and Eben Britton with their first two picks in the draft, Pashos became expendable. They asked him to take a pay cut from his $4 million annual salary, and when he refused, they cut him.

They could offer him a one year deal veteran minimum deal to play with a winner, and he would be better insurance for an injury to Starks or Colon than Tony Hills is (or having to make 2 moves to fill one spot by moving Essex to tackle and inserting Legursky, Urbik, or Foster at RG). You could tell him that in the event that they are unable to sign Colon next year, he would be an option for a long-term contract to fill the open starting RT spot in 2010.

I think it would be worth cutting Ramon Foster (and hoping he passed through waivers to our practice squad) in order to bring a veteran tackle like Pashos on board (since I hate the fact that absolutely none of our back-up o-lineman have even a lick of actual NFL game experience). He should be able to pick up our scheme awfully quick, since he was an academic All-American at Illinois who can speak fluent Greek (so when he sees Arians' game plan and Zeirlein's blocking assignments, he could say "It's all Greek to me" and it would still make sense to him). :lol:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02FfclpfNGaAB/610x.jpg

BigLebowski
09-06-2009, 09:23 AM
While I agree that this would be a very smart signing, I am going to predict it does not happen. He seems to only be a tackle. This team likes backups who can play at least 2 positions on the line, Pashos doe not seem to be that player.

I could see the Steeler Brass and Tomlin more interested in a guy like Kynan Forney, who was a pro-bowl alternate as Guard and has played tackle in college.

ghettoscott
09-06-2009, 12:45 PM
not really interested in him, but found it interesting that the Raiders cut Jeff " I'm not ghey" Garcia....thought for sure he would be starting by week 5 or 6. I bet he was shocked as sh1t when he got the call to grab the play book and go to coaches office.

PSU_dropout43
09-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Steelers will settle for Oliver Ross. That's my guess.

I prefer Levi Jones.

buckeyehoppy
09-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Good call on Pashos and, if they can plug him in on the right, he will push for PT against Colon. As far as cuts go to make room, I like unloading Hills over Foster simply because Hills only seems to be spelling Maxie Feast. Foster made the 53, no doubt, based on his versatility. When you're only carrying 9 OL, that is a genuine concern.

Lonbull
09-06-2009, 11:17 PM
John David Booty from Minnesota.

I don't think the logistics work for the Steelers to get John David Booty off of the Vikings PS - but I've seen him play at USC and I think he could be a very competent back-up for the Steelers.

Brian Brohm - even more than Booty I'd be interested in Brohm - unless he's just locker room poison I would definitely PS Dixon and take Brohm as a back-up!

Keary Colbert - WR - I was surprised to see that he's out of work. He can't really help the Steelers at this point - but I've always thought he was a solid player. The odd thing is - he's been on a number of teams who have desperately needed WR help, so maybe he's just unable to compete at this level.

Matthias Askew DT / DE - I liked Askew a lot coming out of college - but he's been let go by both the Bengals and Broncos....that can't be good.

Leonard Pope - TE - if we needed a Tight End I'd give Pope a shot. He's still young and he catches the ball well.

Stuart Schweigert - Saftey - I really thought Schweigert was a great prospect coming out of Purdue - but he's been cut by 4 teams now since 2004, including the Raiders and Lions. If memory serves me correctly he had all the tools coming into the pros but hasn't caught on anywhere?

Tim Crowder - DT / DE - Crowder is another guy I thought had some promise coming out of college (Texas). I'm pretty sure he can't go on a PS - and usually it takes some time for a DE to learn the position - but I wouldn't mind his youth going into our defensive line somewhere.

L.B.

PSU_dropout43
09-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Ikaika Alama-Francis.

Damion McIntosh.

[youtube:23tgizdu]6FwFgKstwdU[/youtube:23tgizdu]

phillyesq
09-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Ikaika Alama-Francis.

I remember when he was being scouted as a potential second round pick. If he was cut by the talent-starved Lions, that can't be good for business.

stlrz d
09-07-2009, 01:04 PM
http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/9/7/10 ... -is-a-49er (http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/9/7/1019329/tony-pashos-is-a-49er)

He's a 49er now.

grotonsteel
09-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Terrence Taylor

J Runyan

steelz09
09-08-2009, 08:12 PM
I'd have to agree .. Terrence Taylor would be a good choice

steelernation77
09-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Ikaika Alama-Francis.

Damion McIntosh.

[youtube:m96bjzat]6FwFgKstwdU[/youtube:m96bjzat]

Not sure about McIntosh. My friend who's a chief fan talked about this guy the way I use to about Mahan.

grotonsteel
09-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Tony Pashos signed with 49ers.

Bills released Langston Walker.