PDA

View Full Version : Carey Davis is gone

Steelhere10
09-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Cut today...

Vindrow
09-04-2009, 03:53 PM
I can't believe that they were actually smart enough to cut him.

Steelhere10
09-04-2009, 03:54 PM
I heard it on espn radio

Vindrow
09-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Yup, its also in teh Post Gazette...thank god the Carey Davis experiment is over....that means that Tank Summers is our starting FB.

Jigawatts
09-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Who will take over the pre game dancing?

I heard a rumor about Veron Haynes... :stirpot :lol:

Jooser
09-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Steelers make final cuts
Friday, September 04, 2009
By Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Running backs Carey Davis and rookie Isaac Redman, linebacker Bruce Davis and veteran cornerback Anthony Madison were among the players cut today by Coach Mike Tomlin as the Steelers began reducing their roster to the 53-man limit.

Also among the 22 players who were waived is former Penn State center A.Q. Shipley, a Moon High School graduate and one of the team's seventh-round draft choices. Shipely said he was told the Steelers will try to sign him to the practice squad if he clears waivers.

Shipley is the one of two draft choices who didn't make the 53-man roster. The other is defensive end Sonny Harris, a seventh-round pick who was also cut.

Carey Davis, who started 11 of the 34 games in which he appeared the past two seasons, was waived injured by the team. He did not play in last night's 21-10 preseason victory in Carolina.

Bruce Davis was a third-round draft choice in 2008 from UCLA, where he had 25 1/2 sacks in his last two years as a defensive end.

Among other cuts were defensive tackle Scott Paxson, who was on the 53-man roster last season.

First published on September 4, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09247/99 ... z0QAjRosFU (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09247/995619-100.stm#ixzz0QAjRosFU)

MeetJoeGreene
09-04-2009, 04:37 PM
I hope Ship, Redman, and Sonny Harris can be signed to the Practice squad.

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Yup, its also in teh Post Gazette...thank god the Carey Davis experiment is over....that means that Tank Summers is our starting FB.

I don't like keeping Tank and cutting Redman. Redman clearly outplayed Summers in Latrobe practices and in every pre-season game.

I guess the whole "position flexibility" thing won out, since Tank can potentially be a FB as well as a short yardage RB was the difference, while Redman is only a short yardage RB and not a FB.

I think it would have been smarter to keep Redman as your 4th RB and let D.J. Johnson be your FB (even though he is officially listed as a TE, he's only 6'2", which is short for a TE but tall for a FB...plus he is arguably the most violent blocker we have).

Redman was more impressive than Parker, Mendenhall, or Moore during this camp, so it sucks that he is out. I sure hope that they can somehow get him on the practice squad. I think Summers would have been able to pass through waivers and make the P.S., but I doubt that Redman will...although I can still hope.

ANPSTEEL
09-04-2009, 05:08 PM

I don't like keeping Tank and cutting Redman. Redman clearly outplayed Summers in Latrobe practices and in every pre-season game.

I guess the whole "position flexibility" thing won out, since Tank can potentially be a FB as well as a short yardage RB was the difference, while Redman is only a short yardage RB and not a FB.

I think it would have been smarter to keep Redman as your 4th RB and let D.J. Johnson be your FB (even though he is officially listed as a TE, he's only 6'2", which is short for a TE but tall for a FB...plus he is arguably the most violent blocker we have).

Redman was more impressive than Parker, Mendenhall, or Moore during this camp, so it sucks that he is out. I sure hope that they can somehow get him on the practice squad. I think Summers would have been able to pass through waivers and make the P.S., but I doubt that Redman will...although I can still hope.

I am with you 100%.

This, to me, is stupefying. How do they keep Summers over Redman? Lets see... one was significantly more productive throughout the course of training camp and preseason games... I know... lets cut him, and keep the crappy guy. :wft

of the other somewhat surprising, apparent, cuts here- Sonny Harris. It seems to me that if your dLine is clearly aging- why not keep a guy who, by many accounts, shows lots of promise??

also, no news whatsoever regarding the secondary who stays/goes...

confused, I am, grasshopper...

hopefully, this report by buchette is wrong... no one else is reporting it.

fingers crossed.

Vindrow
09-04-2009, 05:10 PM
I agree that I wish they kept Redman instead of Summers, but like you said Summers has flexability being a FB and short yardage RB...but, i also believe that if Redman goes to the practice squad he wont last there for long...I believe that other teams that are short on RB depth with grab him.

phillyesq
09-04-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm surprised that Sonny Harris was cut. I can understand Redman -- he had a lot of potential, but I'm not sure that he had the conditioning. I'm also not sure that he would have been active on game days. Hopefully, both are signed to the PS, and with a year of development/conditioning, are able to make the team.

I'm glad that the Carey Davis is over. Finally.

feltdizz
09-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Redman? Wow... I'm a little surprised by that..

Vindrow is that avatar photo of a real chick or some manga comic

proudpittsburgher
09-04-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm surprised that Sonny Harris was cut. I can understand Redman -- he had a lot of potential, but I'm not sure that he had the conditioning. I'm also not sure that he would have been active on game days. Hopefully, both are signed to the PS, and with a year of development/conditioning, are able to make the team.

I'm glad that the Carey Davis is over. Finally.

I agree with all of you, the only cut I am disappointed with is Redman. You mentioned that he had potential, but he needed conditioning. That's something you can work on. Honesltly, I wonder how much Redman asking for a breather in the Buffalo game and gettign ripped in front of everyone by Tomlin played of a role in the decision to cut him. I really hope he makes it to the PS without getting snatched away.

Starlifter
09-04-2009, 05:38 PM
there was nothing more redman could have done. if what he showed wasn't enough to make the team then he really had no chance at all. I'm disappointed but that is really the only choice I have questions about.

having said that I have to know as well. Vindrow - who is that avatar?? wow!!

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2009, 06:05 PM

:Agree All three should be P.S. targets if other teams don't claim them for their 53 man rosters in the mean time. I would even offer a P.S. spot to Bruce Davis (unless he is signed by Arizona tomorrow).

grotonsteel
09-04-2009, 06:27 PM

I thought Redman and Harris would make the 53-man roster.

I can't believe they keep Summers over Redman. Summers can play ST hence got the nod.

Harris would be snatched by Broncos or Green Bay.

Vindrow
09-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Redman? Wow... I'm a little surprised by that..

Vindrow is that avatar photo of a real chick or some manga comic

She is definatly real.

Steelhere10
09-04-2009, 07:51 PM
It's not certain that Summers made the cut, no need to speculate.

ikestops85
09-04-2009, 07:57 PM
I'm with most everyone else here that is surprised Redman didn't make the roster. He must have sucked in practice bad enough that his game play couldn't overcome.

stlrz d
09-04-2009, 08:34 PM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/ropewalk_2006/BandOfBrothers.jpg

fezziwig
09-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Thank God Carey Davis is gone, Tomlin must have finally found the negatives.

I can't believe Redman is on the cut list. I will be surprised if he clears the waivers and he won't last long on the PS. He scored on our defense in practices, he kicked butt in preseason. Didnt' he have a sad enough career like Davis for Tomlin to take him under his wing ? I realize we are abundant at runningbacks but, if you can develope this guy like Parker, WTH ? They should have had Reman in with the frist team to see his stuff and I bet he would have done better than them all.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-04-2009, 08:56 PM
this isaac redman lovefest is getting out of hand.

he's not the next eric dickerson.

stlrz d
09-04-2009, 09:14 PM

Glad someone said it.

He'll make the PS.

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2009, 09:53 PM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/ropewalk_2006/BandOfBrothers.jpg

:lol:

In every battle, there are casualties.

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm with most everyone else here that is surprised Redman didn't make the roster. He must have sucked in practice bad enough that his game play couldn't overcome.

He scored 3 times in a row in a goal line drill against the best defense in the world (playing with the first team against the first team). That sure ain't sucking in practice.

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2009, 10:17 PM

No, but we wouldn't have asked him to be. He would have had a very special role (goal line and third-and-short runs). We kept Russell for this role last year all the way through the Super Bowl, and Redman has shown that he is better at it than Russell was. Even though Russell was not great, I was glad that we had a goal line RB in the Super Bowl last year, because he gave us our first TD of the game (if we settled for a FG there instead of a TD, Santonio's catch would have only tied the game instead of won it). Redman has also shown to have a better nose for the end zone than the other guys we kept: Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, and Summers. Although he is not Eric Dickerson, Isaac Redman would have been an upgrade at this particular role of goal line back from last year to this year.

Everyone is excited because of Sepulveda's presence because of the upgrade we should get for his particular role of punting. Impacts field position, helping our defense.

Everyone is excited because of Logan's presence because of the upgrade we should get for his particular role of returning. Impacts field position, helping our offense. (with occasional points like last night).

Everyone was excited about the possibility of Redman's presence because of the potential upgrade we should have received for his particular role of pounding the rock across the goal line. Impacts the scoreboard directly, by giving us an extra 4 points when we get down close instead of having to settle for 3.

Specific roles all. Specific skills needed. Punting and returning were upgraded this off-season. Smashmouth football at the goal-line could have been upgraded, but was not. That's were the disappointment lies.

skyhawk
09-04-2009, 10:24 PM
I agree that I wish they kept Redman instead of Summers, but like you said Summers has flexability being a FB and short yardage RB...but, i also believe that if Redman goes to the practice squad he wont last there for long...I believe that other teams that are short on RB depth with grab him.

Screw the flexibility. Arians doesn't use the FB anyways. Redman should have made the team.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-04-2009, 10:28 PM
you say he is better than everyone else on the team but isaac redman has never made a play in a real game. you guys act like he the second coming of earl campbell.

better blocking up front will solve the goal line issues.

he's not worth the spot for what he brings to the table right now.

skyhawk
09-04-2009, 10:32 PM
you say he is better than everyone else on the team but isaac redman has never made a play in a real game. you guys act like he the second coming of earl campbell.

better blocking up front will solve the goal line issues.

he's not worth the spot for what he brings to the table right now.

Using a FB on goalline situations will help solve the goalline issues. Better blocking up front ain't gonna happen with this crew.

stlrz d
09-04-2009, 11:20 PM

He scored 3 times in a row in a goal line drill against the best defense in the world (playing with the first team against the first team). That sure ain't sucking in practice.

But also remember Ryan Clark going off on him because he celebrated scoring a TD even though the O knew the D was running the same play every time.

I'm with Eddie on this one...Redman isn't deserving of this love fest.

feltdizz
09-04-2009, 11:42 PM
what is wrong with liking/loving a player who showed some heart in preseason? It's not like fans want to trade FWP and Mend.. he is getting the love for the work he put out on the field.

other higher draft picks get the "give him time, be patient"

he scored TD's... and the last 2 years our GL O hasn't scored TD's on the one... this is why he gets love.

stlrz d
09-04-2009, 11:47 PM
what is wrong with liking/loving a player who showed some heart in preseason? It's not like fans want to trade FWP and Mend.. he is getting the love for the work he put out on the field.

he scored TD's... and the last 2 years our GL O hasn't scored TD's on the one... this is why he gets love.

Lovefest = "OMG, I can't believe he was cut...whatever are we going to do?!?"

:HeadBanger

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2009, 12:29 AM

Never said anything like that. No one's panicking here. We are just objectively weighing Isaac vs. the Tank to understand why such a decision was made. Redman was dumped while Summers was kept, even though Redman clearly outplayed Summers in both practices as well as games. Typically, the Steelers do not make personnel decisions based on draft positions, since we have a long track record of success with UDFA's (Silverback, FWP, Stapleton, Nate, Kreider, etc.), but this decision reeks of keeping Summers because he was a 5th round pick over the undrafted Redman. I don't know what else Redman could have possibly done to win a job, while I think Summers was quite underwhelming during this preseason and was living off of his reputation and his college YouTube highlight videos. The only explanation that I can come up with is that Tank was also used as a FB, even though their 3rd TE is the best lead blocker. Just like last year when McHugh was a better lead blocker but Davis was kept as a FB, this year Johnson is a better lead blocker but Summers was kept as a FB. I just think Redman would be more useful, since I don't see a better option for a short yardage pounder on our roster, and I would like to be able to blast in a few TD's from the one instead of settling for short FG's (which has been a weakness of ours that could have been remedied).

flippy
09-05-2009, 06:12 AM
Redman outplayed Mendy so far.

I would be surprised if someone doesn't pick him up.

stlrz d
09-05-2009, 06:43 AM

Never said anything like that. No one's panicking here. We are just objectively weighing Isaac vs. the Tank to understand why such a decision was made. Redman was dumped while Summers was kept, even though Redman clearly outplayed Summers in both practices as well as games. Typically, the Steelers do not make personnel decisions based on draft positions, since we have a long track record of success with UDFA's (Silverback, FWP, Stapleton, Nate, Kreider, etc.), but this decision reeks of keeping Summers because he was a 5th round pick over the undrafted Redman. I don't know what else Redman could have possibly done to win a job, while I think Summers was quite underwhelming during this preseason and was living off of his reputation and his college YouTube highlight videos. The only explanation that I can come up with is that Tank was also used as a FB, even though their 3rd TE is the best lead blocker. Just like last year when McHugh was a better lead blocker but Davis was kept as a FB, this year Johnson is a better lead blocker but Summers was kept as a FB. I just think Redman would be more useful, since I don't see a better option for a short yardage pounder on our roster, and I would like to be able to blast in a few TD's from the one instead of settling for short FG's (which has been a weakness of ours that could have been remedied).

I think it's his versatility and special teams play.

My opinion is that every team has a guy who the fans say, "Oh now...why did they cut him? Some other team will snag him for sure!"

I really don't think that will happen with Redman. He'll make the PS.

Discipline of Steel
09-05-2009, 06:59 AM
[quote=feltdizz]what is wrong with liking/loving a player who showed some heart in preseason? It's not like fans want to trade FWP and Mend.. he is getting the love for the work he put out on the field.

My opinion is that every team has a guy who the fans say, "Oh now...why did they cut him? Some other team will snag him for sure!"

I really don't think that will happen with Redman. He'll make the PS.[/quote:325aai4w]

If Redman makes it to our practice squad, Ill eat my Terrible Towel from 1979.

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2009, 09:06 AM
[quote="stlrz d":1w1ldemr][quote=feltdizz]what is wrong with liking/loving a player who showed some heart in preseason? It's not like fans want to trade FWP and Mend.. he is getting the love for the work he put out on the field.

I really don't think that will happen with Redman. He'll make the PS.[/quote:1w1ldemr]

If Redman makes it to our practice squad, Ill eat my Terrible Towel from 1979.[/quote:1w1ldemr]

I was hoping that Redman would somehow make our practice squad already, but now I'm really hoping that he makes the practice squad. You have to film it and put that Towel meal on YouTube. Just think of eating crusty cheese from nachos you bought in 1985 that happened spill on that Towel. :lol:

frankthetank1
09-05-2009, 09:21 AM
i agree its a bunch of crap that summers made the team by doing nothing and redman who showed a lot gets cut. im with ruthless, they had a chance to upgrade the smashmouth running game which has been lacking and they didnt. redman showed a lot, he is a hard guy to tackle. one thing is for sure if they cut summers he would easily make the ps because no other team would want him. redman on the other hand will be wearing a cardinal jersey. even my wife is upset, she calls redman mini bettis. still tomlin knows what he is doing. i cant imagine this decision will ever come back and haunt the team. at least carey davis is gone and logan is on the team

Slapstick
09-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Redman was cut for several reasons:

1) The Steelers needed a roster spot for Logan. The only kept 4 RBs this year instead of five.

2) Redman couldn't or didn't play FB. Therefore, he would have been inactive every game. Would you deactivate Parker, Mendenhall or Moore in favor of Redman? I wouldn't...

3) In the event of an injury to a primary back, I doubt Redman could have carried the load...he was winded after one reception and tried to take himself out of a game...

If there were more roster spots available, he could have been kept...as it was, I'd rather have Logan taking that spot...

fezziwig
09-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Redman has shown more at this little time than Carey Davis. What is pre season for if we can't view the product that player has to offer ?
Maybe Redman will be a wash, his performance so far hasn't indicated that.
I said it in the start, I hope Summers is a go to guy but, with his size I can't believe he can make it in the NFL. He might have his moment in the sun at one time or another but, you might as well just call him Rudy.

ramblinjim
09-05-2009, 11:21 AM
[quote="stlrz d":1gthscc7][quote=feltdizz]what is wrong with liking/loving a player who showed some heart in preseason? It's not like fans want to trade FWP and Mend.. he is getting the love for the work he put out on the field.

I really don't think that will happen with Redman. He'll make the PS.[/quote:1gthscc7]

If Redman makes it to our practice squad, Ill eat my Terrible Towel from 1979.[/quote:1gthscc7]

Even if you lose this bet, please dont do this.

Discipline of Steel
09-05-2009, 12:28 PM
[quote="stlrz d":q80es7tb]

I really don't think that will happen with Redman. He'll make the PS.

If Redman makes it to our practice squad, Ill eat my Terrible Towel from 1979.

Even if you lose this bet, please dont do this.[/quote:q80es7tb]

:mrgreen: It truley is too bad to lose a guy with nickname potential like 'Redzone Redman' but I dont mind rooting for Tank! He better butt some heads this year...leading the way into the endzone.

Steelhere10
09-05-2009, 03:52 PM

1) The Steelers needed a roster spot for Logan. The only kept 4 RBs this year instead of five.

2) Redman couldn't or didn't play FB. Therefore, he would have been inactive every game. Would you deactivate Parker, Mendenhall or Moore in favor of Redman? I wouldn't...

3) In the event of an injury to a primary back, I doubt Redman could have carried the load...he was winded after one reception and tried to take himself out of a game...

If there were more roster spots available, he could have been kept...as it was, I'd rather have Logan taking that spot...Finally the best post of the preseason!!!!

NorthCoast
09-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Redman played well enough, but I don't see what he brings beyond what we have in Moore or Summers for that matter. It also may be the Logan effect if SL was signed as a RB.

Oviedo
09-05-2009, 04:28 PM

If there were more roster spots available, he could have been kept...as it was, I'd rather have Logan taking that spot...

Geez. A rationale assessment. What a novel idea. You are exactly right. redman can't play FB and therefore would be inactive. He would have been the #4, maybe #5 Tailback if you count Logan. When was he going to play?

Also don't forget that Summers came out of college with a resume of being a very good special teams player. Not sure the same could be said for Redman.

He may get grabbed off waivers but don't be surprised if he ends up on the practice squad because there are going to dozens of RBs available and RBs are a dima a dozen.

AngryAsian
09-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Logan: 5' 7" 180lbs

Sproles: 5' 6" 185lbs

This season: Logan = Sproles

mshifko
09-06-2009, 12:06 PM
numbers were the enemy for redman...

kind of surprised frank made the team though, he didn't prove anything in preseason, but the position flexibility won out...

i'm kind of shocked carey is gone, never thought it would actually happen.

pittpete
09-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Praise the Lord