PDA

View Full Version : Cuts per Post Gazette

costanza2k1
09-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Steelers make final cuts
Friday, September 04, 2009
By Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Running backs Carey Davis and rookie Isaac Redman, linebacker Bruce Davis and veteran cornerback Anthony Madison were among the players cut today by Coach Mike Tomlin as the Steelers began reducing their roster to the 53-man limit.

Also among the 22 players who were waived is former Penn State center A.Q. Shipley, a Moon High School graduate and one of the team's seventh-round draft choices. Shipely said he was told the Steelers will try to sign him to the practice squad if he clears waivers.

Shipley is the one of two draft choices who didn't make the 53-man roster. The other is defensive end Sonny Harris, a seventh-round pick who was also cut.

Carey Davis, who started 11 of the 34 games in which he appeared the past two seasons, was waived injured by the team. He did not play in last night's 21-10 preseason victory in Carolina.

Bruce Davis was a third-round draft choice in 2008 from UCLA, where he had 25 1/2 sacks in his last two years as a defensive end.

Among other cuts were defensive tackle Scott Paxson, who was on the 53-man roster last season.

First published on September 4, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09247/995 ... z0QAXYr2FU (http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09247/995619-100.stm#ixzz0QAXYr2FU)

Jooser
09-04-2009, 04:37 PM
I thought Redman would've made it. Bye Carey Davis, finally! :Clap

plainnasty
09-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Donovan Woods surprises me

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2009, 06:06 PM

Where did you hear Donovon Woods was cut? I haven't heard that name among the cuts at all yet???

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2009, 06:10 PM

Where did you hear Donovon Woods was cut? I haven't heard that name among the cuts at all yet???

Never mind...I found it. Douchette updated his list.

Steelers make final cuts
By Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Veterans with Super Bowl rings, draft picks and preseason fairytales were among those Steelers coach Mike Tomlin released yesterday as he pared his roster in time for today's limit of 53.

Tomlin declined to publicly reveal his cuts, but the Post-Gazette has identified some of the more important ones. Tomlin said he will not officially place anyone on waivers until he has to today, so as not to allow other teams to get a full day's jump on evaluating his cuts, and also because trades could still be involved.

Running backs Carey Davis, Justin Vincent and rookie Isaac Redman, linebacker Bruce Davis and veteran cornerback Anthony Madison were among the players who were informed of their release yesterday.

Also among the 22 players who were waived is former Penn State center A.Q. Shipley, a Moon High School graduate and one of the team's seventh-round draft choices. Shipely said he was told the Steelers will try to sign him to the practice squad if he clears waivers.

One local player who did make it is safety Ryan Mundy, who played at Woodland Hills High School and West Virgnia University. Tomlin confirmed that Mundy and kick returner Stefan Logan sealed their positions on the 53-man roster with their performances in Thursday night's final preseason game in Carolina.

Shipley is the one of two draft choices who didn't make the 53-man roster. The other is defensive end Sonny Harris, a seventh-round pick who was also cut.

Redman, from Bowie State in Maryland, led the team with three touchdowns and 145 yards rushing in the preseason and was the star of two live goalline drills in training camp.

Carey Davis, who started 11 of the 34 games in which he appeared the past two seasons, will be waived injured by the team. He did not play in last night's 21-10 preseason victory in Carolina.

Bruce Davis was a third-round draft choice in 2008 from UCLA, where he had 25 1/2 sacks in his last two years as a defensive end.

Among other cuts were former Penn State defensive tackle Scott Paxson and inside linebacker Donovan Woods, both of whom spent time on the 53-man roster last season.

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2009, 06:18 PM
I guess this means that the LB corps will be 8 men strong with the Woods news...J. Harrison, J. Farrior, L. Timmons, L. Woodley, K. Fox, P. Bailey, A. Frazier, and A. Harrison (assuming Korte and Schantz get cut as expected).

I suppose it also means that we will keep 7 DL now that Sonny is gone (the six from last year...Smith, Hampton, Keisel, Hoke, Kirschke, and Eason...plus newcomer Ziggy). We know Paxson is gone and I assume McClendon will be cut as well.

Still not much word about the DB's who made it. We know the starters made it, obviously, and got confirmation that Mundy made it and Madison did not. I'll assume that K. Lewis is fine since he is a 3rd rounder and all, but no word yet about Burnett, Ratliff, or Roy Lewis. I imagine that Tyrone Carter must have made it even though many of us had him squarely on the bubble (if they dropped a vet like him, it would have been reported already like Carey Davis, no?)

grotonsteel
09-04-2009, 06:22 PM

Donovan Woods not in 53???? I am surprised.

TallyStiller
09-04-2009, 06:32 PM
They said the only two draft picks cut were Shipley and Harris... that would suggest that Burnett made the squad.

costanza2k1
09-04-2009, 07:00 PM
I don't see D. Woods in Dale Lolly's list...might be a mistake on Ed's part...he's known to screw up here and there:

Cuts (as we find them)
Because they don't have to officially release the names until 4 p.m. Saturday, the Steelers aren't doing so. Their reasoning is that it allows them some wiggle-room to make trades.

But here's a list of who I've found that will be released.

Dallas Baker, Roy Lewis, Jeremy Parquet, Desmond Sherrod, Carey Davis, Isaac Redman, Bruce Davis, Anthony Madison, A.Q. Shipley, Scott Paxson, Sonny Harris, Jason Capizzi, Mike Reilly, Peter Czech, Justin Vincent, Tyler Grisham, Tom Korte, Steve McLendon, Andy Schantz and Brandon Williams

That's 20 of the 22 cuts they have to make. Again, these aren't official - yet.

If, for example, they can work out a trade for, say Travis Kirschke or Nick Eason, a guy like Sonny Harris could be back on the squad.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 5:05 PM

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com ... -them.html (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/09/cuts-as-we-find-them.html)

Herewegosteelers!
09-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Roy Lewis looked like a pretty good DB too. Hopefully they can keep him on the PS.

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2009, 10:03 PM
I don't see D. Woods in Dale Lolly's list...might be a mistake on Ed's part...he's known to screw up here and there:

Cuts (as we find them)
Because they don't have to officially release the names until 4 p.m. Saturday, the Steelers aren't doing so. Their reasoning is that it allows them some wiggle-room to make trades.

Dallas Baker, Roy Lewis, Jeremy Parquet, Desmond Sherrod, Carey Davis, Isaac Redman, Bruce Davis, Anthony Madison, A.Q. Shipley, Scott Paxson, Sonny Harris, Jason Capizzi, Mike Reilly, Peter Czech, Justin Vincent, Tyler Grisham, Tom Korte, Steve McLendon, Andy Schantz and Brandon Williams

If, for example, they can work out a trade for, say Travis Kirschke or Nick Eason, a guy like Sonny Harris could be back on the squad.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com ... -them.html (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/09/cuts-as-we-find-them.html)

They need to cut 22, and Lolley lists 20. Bouchette says that Woods is also on the cut list. I'd imagine that the other will be Sean McHugh, since Miller, Spaeth, and Johnson are on the list either and they aren't keeping 4 TE's (McHugh may not be an outright cut...may be put on I.R. or given an injury settlement or something like that).

I guess that makes 10 DB's total on the final roster: 6 corners (Taylor, Gay, Townsend, K. Lewis, Burnett, and Ratliff) plus 4 safeties (Polamalu, Clark, Carter, and Mundy).

Discipline of Steel
09-05-2009, 01:30 PM

Cuts (as we find them)

They need to cut 22, and Lolley lists 20. Bouchette says that Woods is also on the cut list. I'd imagine that the other will be Sean McHugh, since Miller, Spaeth, and Johnson are on the list either and they aren't keeping 4 TE's (McHugh may not be an outright cut...may be put on I.R. or given an injury settlement or something like that).

I guess that makes 10 DB's total on the final roster: 6 corners (Taylor, Gay, Townsend, K. Lewis, Burnett, and Ratliff) plus 4 safeties (Polamalu, Clark, Carter, and Mundy).

I think the Steelers are expecting to face a pass-happy NFL this year.

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2009, 02:02 PM

Cuts (as we find them)

I think the Steelers are expecting to face a pass-happy NFL this year.

Good luck going pass-happy against us, since that just allows Coach LeBeau to unleash the hounds, with Harrison, Woodley, Farrior, and Timmons (when healthy) feast on opposing QB's for lunch.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-05-2009, 02:17 PM
I think Fox will fill in nicely for Timmons in the opener if Timmons is still sore from the high ankle. If he is still sore, I hope they keep him out to get him back to 100%. A high ankle could linger and continue to get tweaked.

AngryAsian
09-05-2009, 04:36 PM
K.Fox has shown flashes of J.Harrison type play making. I think he'll fill in nicely and hopefully won't be too successful to where he other teams try and spirit him away after this season. I see this guy emerging as our premiere defensive beast on ST.