PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall to get extended look

fordfixer
08-28-2009, 01:20 AM
Steelers Notebook: Mendenhall to get extended look
Friday, August 28, 2009
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09240/993862-66.stm

Running back Rashard Mendenhall will get a long look from the coaching staff tomorrow night in the Steelers' third preseason game against the Buffalo Bills.

Mendenhall, the Steelers' first-round draft choice last year and the backup to Willie Parker, likely will get the start because Parker has not practiced all week due to a hamstring injury. Mendenhall has carried the ball 14 times for 50 yards in the first two preseason games, but this will be his first opportunity for extended play with the first-team offensive line should Parker not play.

"We'd like to get an extended look at Rashard Mendenhall whether Willie plays or not," coach Mike Tomlin said. "We want to see him run similarly to how he ran in [Washington last week]. I thought he was very decisive, he ran downhill. I liked the way he finished runs. He ran violently. He's had a good preseason. We just ask that he continue to do more of the same."

Mendenhall's role when the regular season begins is still to be determined. Parker will be the starter and veteran Mewelde Moore is entrenched as the third-down back. If Mendenhall wants to make a case for getting more carries in the regular season, a strong performance against the Bills would help his cause.

"I feel like I'm game ready," Mendenhall said. "I played the whole first half in the first two games. I've been out there. Every opportunity you have, you look forward to building on it. I feel good right now going into the season.

"It's a complete 180 from last year. I'm sure in my reads and having a full knowledge of the playbook. You're able to react and not think at all. It's a whole different mindset."
And the goal-line back is ...

Undrafted rookie Isaac Redman made a name for himself early in training camp when he scored five times in seven attempts in a goal-line drill in practice, but Tomlin reiterated yesterday that he will have a hard time making the 53-man roster unless he demonstrates that he can do more than carry the ball into the end zone.

"A lot of times those roles are determined by other things," Tomlin said of which back will get the most carries near the goal line. "Is a guy good enough to make a 53-man roster? Is he capable of doing other things? A lot of times a guy that is a candidate gets an opportunity because he's a functional special teams player. That's not only what gets them on the team but gets them a game-day hat.

"Gary Russell was able to get an opportunity to be [the goal-line back] in the past because he was a reliable special teams player. ... I would imagine that if our goal-line runner is anyone other than Willie Parker or Rashard Mendenhall it will be because they're capable of doing other things. That's where we are with it."

Tomlin discussed the importance of being versatile with Redman before he addressed reporters yesterday. He said he was merely telling him what it will take for him to make the team.

"I'm not trying to motivate anyone through fear," Tomlin said. "I'm just trying to provide information. I provide similar information to guys like Frank Summers."

Summers, the Steelers' fifth-round draft pick out of UNLV, has been unable to practice much because of a hamstring injury and is listed as questionable for tomorrow's game.

Tomlin said Summers still has time to make an impression.

"It's not over yet," Tomlin said. "Everybody's story is left unwritten at this point. We have this game and then practice next week and then the Carolina game. I'm not ready to quantify a level of disappointment in regards to being able to look at him. He still has time."
Injury update

Tomlin declared three players out for tomorrow night's preseason game and listed five others as questionable. Quarterback Dennis Dixon (shoulder), tight end Sean McHugh (knee) and offensive lineman Darnell Stapleton (knee) will not play.

Those who are questionable include: kicker Jeff Reed (ankle), receiver Santonio Holmes (back), running backs Parker (hamstring) and Summers (hamstring) and defensive tackle Steve McLendon (elbow).

First published on August 28, 2009 at 12:00 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09240/99 ... z0PS5s35HG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09240/993862-66.stm#ixzz0PS5s35HG)

Oviedo
08-28-2009, 07:40 AM
It will be good to see what Mendenhall can do when he gets into a rhythm versus one or two carries here and there.

Mister Pittsburgh
08-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Anyone hear what the excuse was for Mendenhall turning his back on that blitz pickup in the washington game? That was ridiculous.

Oviedo
08-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Anyone hear what the excuse was for Mendenhall turning his back on that blitz pickup in the washington game? That was ridiculous.

When I saw it it looked to me like he "chipped" the pass rusher and was turning back to the QB expecting a quick dump off pass but the QB rolled to the right. I watched it several times and I it still looks like that may be what happened and I thought perhaps either Mendenhall or the QB missed a "hot read." We won't know because we, as always, don't know what the play call or audible was so I choose not to assume that Mendenhall is afraid to block which if you watched other plays there is no indication of that being the case.

SteelBucks
08-28-2009, 09:15 AM

Don't know but that was ugly.

grotonsteel
08-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Frank Summers goes to PS or gets cut. I was hoping Summers replace Carey Davis.

I think David Johnson makes the 53-man roster. He looks great as a blocking TE.

BDESteel
08-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Frank Summers goes to PS or gets cut. I was hoping Summers replace Carey Davis.

I think David Johnson makes the 53-man roster. He looks great as a blocking TE.I hope Summers at least makes the practice squad. Last I heard, winning games requires a team to out score it's opponent.

We had issues getting into the endzone last year and someone like Summers could eek his way on to the 53 man roster with being able to play special teams.

Bettis' role was to just run the ball five yards into the end zone after Parker ran it 95 yards down the field.

MeetJoeGreene
08-28-2009, 12:38 PM
This is Mendy's chance to really shine and show what he has.

I hope for 2 things:

1.) He has something to show.
2.) He shows it.

I am still uneasy about him.

papillon
08-28-2009, 12:51 PM

I hope for 2 things:

2.) He shows it.

14 carries, 62 yards and 2 receptions for 15 yards, no fumbles...book it :Cheers

Pappy

BDESteel
08-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Oops, I meant Redman, not Summers. Redman's the one getting into the endzone.

SteelBucks
08-28-2009, 01:04 PM

I hope for 2 things:

2.) He shows it.

14 carries, 62 yards and 2 receptions for 15 yards, no fumbles...book it :Cheers

Pappy

For the '09 season.....book it. :wink:

MeetJoeGreene
08-28-2009, 03:29 PM

I hope for 2 things:

2.) He shows it.

Pappy

That would be acceptable. I may be greedy, but I want to see some of the following:

-- a semi-long run (15+yards). Let me see some big play hope.
-- a couple of broken tackles or pushing the pile yards.
-- not more than a couple of "Short" gains (i.e. a loss or 1 yard).
-- A good, solid TD or picking up First down run of 4+ yards.

Seriously. He needs to show something like this.

I mean it.

Really.

BDESteel
08-28-2009, 03:49 PM

I hope for 2 things:

2.) He shows it.

Pappy

That would be acceptable. I may be greedy, but I want to see some of the following:

I mean it.

Really.
I agree with you.

I like to compare him with the other top running backs of his draft year, Darren McFadden and Felix Jones.

Both of those guys have been impressive thus far. I think McFadden is going to have a break out year. I'll be patient with Delicious but, I'd like to see him live up to his name.

Jooser
08-28-2009, 03:55 PM
He ran violently.

Gotta love Tomlin speak!

RuthlessBurgher
08-29-2009, 09:25 AM

I hope for 2 things:

2.) He shows it.

Pappy

I mean it.

Really.
I agree with you.

I like to compare him with the other top running backs of his draft year, Darren McFadden and Felix Jones.

Both of those guys have been impressive thus far. I think McFadden is going to have a break out year. I'll be patient with Delicious but, I'd like to see him live up to his name.

All three of those guys, along with Jonathan Stewart, experienced some injury issues as rookies, so their breakouts should hopefully occur this year, which guys like Matt Forte, Chris Johnson, Steve Slaton, and Kevin Smith were able to stay healthy as rookies and have already broken out.

feltdizz
08-29-2009, 06:36 PM

I hope for 2 things:

2.) He shows it.

Pappy

I'm a Mendy fan but let's be real.. dude is boring the hell out of us..LOL!!

if you took his name off his jersey would any of us be hyped about his production thus far?

I'm sorry but it's time for Mend to make FWP nervous..

Shoe
08-30-2009, 12:13 PM
if you took his name off his jersey would any of us be hyped about his production thus far?

Nice way to put it.
RBs normally don't need as much an adjustment period between NFL & college. Sure, blocking-wise and such. But normally, running is running. It's mostly instinct and innate talent.