PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger rests injured foot

fordfixer
08-23-2009, 04:44 AM
Steelers QB Roethlisberger rests injured foot

By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, August 23, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 39671.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_639671.html)

As expected, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger did not play in Saturday night's preseason game against the Redskins because of an injured Achilles tendon.

Roethlisberger hurt his right foot in the Steelers' final practice of training camp last Thursday after left tackle Max Starks stepped on it while trying to block outside linebacker James Harrison.

The injury to Roethlisberger is not believed to be serious, and the Steelers had even more reason to hold him out of last night's game at FedEx Field because of soggy weather.

"Of course, if he was fine, he would have played," coach Mike Tomlin said after the Steelers' 17-13 loss to the Redskins. "But we don't think it's going to be a long-term deal at all."

When asked if Roethlisberger will practice Monday, Tomlin said, "I'll let you know on Monday."

Charlie Batch started in place of Roethlisberger and completed 5 of 14 passes for 63 yards. Batch led the Steelers on a nine-play, 50-yard touchdown drive on the Steelers' second possession of the game.

"I think if it was a regular-season game, he probably would have tried to play in this game," Batch said about Roethlisberger.

Batch completed passes of 24 and 16 yards to Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes, respectively, on the drive. The 12th-year veteran played into the early part of the second quarter before giving way to No. 3 quarterback Dennis Dixon.

Dixon injured the AC joint in his shoulder in the second half. Free agent quarterback Mike Reilly finished the game.

"Don't know the extent but we'll see," Tomlin said of Dixon.

Game recap

Even without Roethlisberger, the first-team offense put together its first scoring drive of the preaseason. Batch led a nine-play, 50-yard drive that running back Willie Parker capped with a 3-yard touchdown run.

That helped stake the Steelers to a 10-3 halftime lead.

Chase Daniel, the former Missouri star who is trying to make the Redskins as an undrafted free agent, tossed a pair of touchdown passes in the second half to rally Washington past the Steelers.

"Some guys distinguished themselves," Tomlin said. "Some guys didn't. That's the story of the preseason."

Stefan Logan distinguished himself during the first extended look he got during the preseason. The 5-foot-6 Logan had kickoff returns of 60 and 45 yards and also averaged 12 yards on four punt returns.

Rookie defensive end Ziggy Hood also continued to shine during the preseason. The Steelers' 2009 first-round draft pick notched and was also credited with a team-high three quarterback hurries.

One thing that did not sit well with Tomlin was the fact that the Steelers were penalized 13 times.

"You know coming out of the preseason opener that was something we wanted to address," Tomlin said of cutting down on penalties. "We did not get that accomplished. Not even close."

Mr. Modesty

The surgery Heath Miller had in late June to correct a sports hernia is a distant memory for the Steelers' tight end.

Miller was limited in practice through the first part of training camp but, he said late last week, "Right now, I don't even notice it when I'm out there running around, so that's history to me."

Fully healthy, Miller will reprise his role as one of the most complete — if not fully appreciated — tight ends in the NFL.

Miller, who has averaged 42 receptions in four NFL seasons, has never put up the kind of numbers that get tight ends to the Pro Bowl. That doesn't mean he is going to start lobbying offensive coordinator Bruce Arians to become more involved in the passing game.

"I just go with whatever is called," the 6-foot-5, 256-pound Miller said.

The modesty with which Miller carries himself came through even when he was asked about No. 85 last week, which happens to be rookie tight end David Johnson.

"DJ's good," Miller said. "If he keeps working at it, I think he's going to be a good player."

And what does he think of No. 83?

"Me?" Miller said with a smile. "Pretty much the same thing as (No.) 85. Just got to keep working at it."

Injury report

In addition to Roethlisberger, starting left guard Chris Kemoeatu (ribs) and running backs Mewelde Moore (hamstring) and Frank Summers (hamstring) did not play last night because of injuries.

Doug Legursky started in place of Kemoeatu, who was a late scratch because of bruised ribs.

Legursky started at center in the Steelers' preseason opener Aug. 13 for the injured Justin Hartwig.

Also, Steelers offensive tackle Jeremy Parquet didn't finish the game because of a rib injury.

A 'chill' guy

Kemoeatu has a reputation for having a bit of a nasty streak on the field.

Away from it, the starting left guard may be among the most laid back of all the Steelers.

"I'm pretty chill. I'm from Hawaii, and we can adjust to anything," the 6-3, 344-pounder said. "What you're eating, where you're sleeping. It doesn't really matter to me. As long as it's sunny out, and I'm alive and healthy, you know what I mean?"

Starks does.

"Lowest-maintenance dude I've ever met," said Starks, who plays alongside Kemoeatu. "We'll go somewhere, and if there's one bed, he'll be like: 'OK, I'll go on the floor.' Chris has always been a great friend, and he'll always have your back, no matter where you're at."

Extra points

Redskins running back Clinton Portis gained 26 yards on just five carries before calling it a night. ... The Steelers are off today and return to practice Monday at their South Side facility.