PDA

View Full Version : A fine line? Steelers think so

fordfixer
08-09-2009, 02:18 AM
A fine line? Steelers think so

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/200 ... 688150.txt (http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/08/08/sports/doc4a7e4411d2d22675688150.txt)

By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
Published: Saturday, August 8, 2009 11:43 PM EDT
LATROBE

With 31 days left until the Steelers open the regular season, the offensive line finds itself the subject of great debate.

It seems the media and fans alike aren’t convinced this is an O-line capable of playing its last game in Super Bowl XVIII.

Of course, that was the sentiment last year.

“All I know is that last year at camp, I was new and that we had two guys go down early in the season,” center Justin Hartwig said. “Most of the year, I was playing with two new guys next to me.

“It was difficult at times. But we have a tight-knit group. We’ve played together. We’ve been there. We’ve done that. We’ve been successful. So I think the sky is the limit for us. We have a chance to be one of the best offensive lines in the NFL.”

It doesn’t get more successful than playing in and winning the Super Bowl. But did the O-line really play a significant role in last year’s championship march? Or did the Steelers’ win it all despite a poor O-line?

“I don’t really care if we got a bad rap,” Hartwig said. “All that matters to us are the guys in our meeting room.”

That would be the players, coach Mike Tomlin, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and position coach Larry Zierlein. They all had an us-against-the-world mentality whenever the O-line was criticized that year. The coaches claimed the line got a bum rap.

But this is a new year. So in early August, optimism abounds.

“The sky is the limit,” said guard/tackle Trai Essex. “We have all the pieces. We just have to put it all together.”

For the first time in his five-year pro career, Essex figures to be one of the key pieces. Now that Darnell Stapleton is out indefinitely after arthroscopic knee surgery, Essex will likely be the starter at right guard when the Tennessee Titans come to town on Sept. 10.

The other four positions are set, although an off-season toe injury has kept Hartwig out of team drills so far in camp.

One of the returning starters is Willie Colon, who, claims Arians, is the best right tackle in the league.

Yet, during the off-season, the Steelers didn’t renew Colon’s contract. He’s in the last year of his existing deal and could become an unrestricted free agent after this season.

The Steelers, however, did throw a lot of money in the direction of left guard Chris Kemoeatu, who replaced perennial All-Pro Alan Fancea last year, and Max Starks, who replaced left tackle Marvel Smith when his back gave out.

Kemoeatu, after just one season as a starter, got a five-year deal worth $20 million, a $4 million signing bonus included.

Starks, who lost his starting job at right tackle to Colon in 2007, got a four-year deal worth $26.3 million that included a $10 million signing bonus.

“I went and pulled for those guys to come back because they are a special group,” said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who was sacked 46 times last year, the second-highest total in the league. “I mean that in a lot of ways. It’s good to have them back because of the familiarity they have with me and each other.”

There aren’t many football experts calling the Steelers’ offensive line a “special group.” Then again, they’re the only line with Super Bowl XVIII rings.

“We’re one of youngest (position) groups on the team,” Starks said. “But having that year under our belts, that speaks volumes. The offensive line is a unique position. You need chemistry. You need experience.

“This offensive line is a very close-knit unit. We have set a lot of goals for ourselves. There are some things we have to clean up from last year. So we’re just taking it one day at a time and hoping to get better and better.”

The true test comes in 31 days.

Mike Bires can be reached online at mbires@timesonline.com

RuthlessBurgher
08-09-2009, 02:28 PM
It seems the media and fans alike aren’t convinced this is an O-line capable of playing its last game in Super Bowl XVIII.

I agree that they would not be capable of playing in Super Bowl 18. Darnell Stapleton wasn't even born yet when that game was played!

NorthCoast
08-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Here's the thing; we can blame some of the poor pass blocking on Ben holding the ball too long, that is true. But I have real trouble putting blame anywhere else but the OL when we can't make 2 yds on a goal line rush. And some of the trouble came from the guy they just gave $20M, Chris Kemoteau. But I will cut slack and chalk it up to 1st yr jitters (or he could be one of these players that needs a ton of reps to 'get it'.)

Actually, I can blame Arians for some the lame playcalls and designs....but that's another story.

Doogie36
08-12-2009, 04:41 PM
You guys got on me for spreading GOSSIP about our BELOVED HEATH MILLER and BEN and I was thrown over the burning coals but yet when I see crap like this nobody ever stands up for OL or offensive coordinator.

Last time I checked football is a TEAM SPORT. We just won the darn SUPERBOWL and here we are bashing the OL and BA again. I mean give me a break already.

What about all the BAD PLAYS the defense made last year???? I mean not every play was AWESOME!!!!!!! On offense we seem to pick apart every single play that doesnt get us a 1st down or a touchdown. It's not BA's fault that Parker, Moore or Russell can't pound the rock for 1 yard. It's not his fault that our WR's aren't getting open. Look at the winning TD in the superbowl.....HOLMES is tripled covered....There was NOBODY OPEN!!!!!!! How the heck BEN gets that ball over 3 guys is crazy and when you ask BEN he says he thought it was going to be picked off and so did everyone else...........ITS FOOTBALL!!!!!!!! Its our GUYS!!!!!!!!! BEN needs more time for guys like WARD and HOLMES to get open...they dont seperate well and that has been said before on this board. Can BA make them seperate faster???? Can BA make the OL block better???? I'm just tired of hearing it already. WE WON THE SUPERBOWL with these guys and they have another year together.

When did the OL start playing better????? When BEN took them to DETROIT as a UNIT....who loves his OL???? BEN.............if the QB is ok with his LINE then I'm ok with the LINE TOOOO........he asked for a TALL WR remember???? He didnt ask for a NEW OL.......Why did he ask for that tall WR???? Because PLAX was always good at being open.......Ward and Holmes are GOOD WRS and Holmes is GREAT after the catch but can they really seperate from the CB that fast???? NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Limas Sweed is doing that in this camp and its all they talk about...how he creates seperation.........that is very big in the game of football.....Bigger WINDOW for Ben and easier for our OL.................

BA has done a good job with this offense and for what we have........I'm not worried about his play calling at all.......and isn't it BA who actually listens to BEN???? doesnt he let BEN pick the plays he likes????? Do I need to find a LINK for that or do we all agree?????????

Thanks for listening..........but this stuff bothers me a lot more then GOSSIP.........

WE ARE SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!!!! Let's stick up and appreciate what we have in PITTSBURGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grotonsteel
08-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Here's the thing; we can blame some of the poor pass blocking on Ben holding the ball too long, that is true.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BradshawsHairdresser
08-13-2009, 08:58 AM
One of the returning starters is Willie Colon, who, claims Arians, is the best right tackle in the league.

:shock:

This might be the single most telling statement I've read that explains why we have a mediocre OL.

feltdizz
08-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Here's the thing; we can blame some of the poor pass blocking on Ben holding the ball too long, that is true.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I know.. never Ben...

anyway... the OL wasn't bad in the playoffs.. not at all.. and the GL playcalling was abysmal.
but we shall see if they improved.. AZ has a decent front 4.

grotonsteel
08-13-2009, 10:22 AM

I know.. never Ben...

So poor running is because of O-line whereas sacks are because of Big Ben...I did not know Steelers had all-pro pass blocking O-line.

frankthetank1
08-13-2009, 11:16 AM
i will say this blocking for a qb like ben isnt easy. he is a scrambler and he hates to let plays die. that is pretty much a fact. if he was a pocket passer with a quick release it would be easier to block for him right? that still is no excuse. there are plenty of times where someone on the oline gets beat right away and ben has a defender right in his face also on running plays when fwp gets handed the ball and is immediately tackled. of all the olineman kemo would be the last one i would blame for poor run blocking. i think he is the best run blocking o-lineman that we have. also did someone in this thread really criticize the defense? i know that cant be :lol: