PDA

View Full Version : Eli Manning agrees to six-year, $97 million deal with Giants

RuthlessBurgher
08-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Suddenly, Ben's 8 year, $102 million deal doesn't look like so much, eh? We get 2 extra years of Ben for only $5 million more total. Plus, Eli got more bonus money ($35 million) for a contract two years shorter than Ben's ($33.2 million guaranteed, including a $25.2 million signing bonus).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/08/05/giants.manning.ap/index.html

Manning agrees to six-year, $97 million deal with Giants

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- Eli Manning has agreed to a new six-year, $97 million contract extension with the New York Giants that will make him the highest paid player in the NFL with an average salary of roughly $15.3 million.

A person close to the talks who asked not to be identified because the deal was not signed says Manning is guaranteed $35 million under the deal which will keep him with the Giants through the 2015 season.

Manning, who led the Giants to a Super Bowl upset of the New England Patriots in February 2008 and was named the MVP of the game, was in the final year of the contract he signed as the No. 1 overall pick in 2004.

Manning took over as the Giants starter midway through his rookie season and he has led New York to the playoffs in each of the past four seasons.

steelblood
08-05-2009, 10:59 AM
signing ben to a contract extension before he led them to another super bowl and won the game in heroic fashion, saved the steelers a boat load of money. I think he could have commanded a 15 million per contract had the steelers waited until this year to negotiate.

phillyesq
08-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Suddenly, Ben's 8 year, $102 million deal doesn't look like so much, eh? We get 2 extra years of Ben for only $5 million more total. Plus, Eli got more bonus money ($35 million) for a contract two years shorter than Ben's ($33.2 million guaranteed, including a $25.2 million signing bonus).

Don't leave out the biggest difference -- we have Ben, and we aren't stuck with Eli Manning. :tt1

feltdizz
08-05-2009, 12:29 PM
when you factor in the NYC expenses and taxes Eli is probably making less each year...

regardless we got the guy with guts.. they got the guy with the last name..

SteelTorch
08-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Dumbass move on the Giants part. That one miracle play has clouded their judgement big time. Oh well. They'll be the ones regretting it. :D

stlrz d
08-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Tha Gints wuz robbed!

NW Steeler
08-05-2009, 06:46 PM
It is still unbelievable to me that Ben actually dropped to us. One of my happiest days as a Steeler fan! It makes up (some) for us passing on Marino all of those years ago.....what might have been!

Oh yeah,
:ratsuck

Steelgal
08-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Was reading on a Giants message board and most think the deal is worth it. A few balked at it, but most said he's worth it and they're happy to have it done. Too bad he doesn't have any receivers to throw to though. Plax is gone and Toomer signed with the Chiefs yesterdsay. they might be in worse wide receiver shape than the Ratbirds.

I'm glad we wrapped up Ben last year, before his amazing season and Superbowl performance.

stlrz d
08-05-2009, 07:36 PM
It is still unbelievable to me that Ben actually dropped to us. One of my happiest days as a Steeler fan! It makes up (some) for us passing on Marino all of those years ago.....what might have been!

Oh yeah,
:ratsuck

I swear on my mother's life that he was the guy I wanted all along and I was thrilled beyond belief when they showed him on the phone with the Steelers!!!

snarky
08-06-2009, 08:17 AM
I don't think it's a bad deal for the Giants. When you look around the league at some of the QB situations I think they are in pretty good shape with Eli. As for the 'one lucky play' -- it's kind of like a Rorschach test -- people see what they want to see. If that's Ben we say he did an amazing job keeping the play alive and finding an open receiver etc.

papillon
08-06-2009, 09:01 AM
If, as many of say, Eli isn't worth the contract and you don't believe that he's that good of a quarterback in the NFL. What would you have done? Let him walk and hope you're #2 is ready? They didn't draft a quarterback (I don't think); so check practice squads for a diamond in the rough? Low ball him?

Quarterback is precious commodity in the NFL, more so now than ever before. Look at the Steelers in the 80s because they couldn't find that one guy that was even serviceable. You can win games, but, you can't win playoff games. The Giants had to re-sign Eli and they had to pay him, otherwise they become a 6, 7 or 8 win team.

I don't see that they had a lot of choice.

Pappy

ramblinjim
08-06-2009, 09:13 AM
I agree Pap. When you look around the league there are more teams with questions at Quarterback than there are teams that can say "we have our guy".

1.) Steelers
2.) Cheats
3.) Indy
4.) Bungles
5.) Eagles
6.) Saints
7.) Chargers
8.) Giants

I'm probably missing someone but most other teams have guys that either caught lightening in a bottle for a year under really good circumstances (KC) really young guys at quarterback (Rats, Falcons, Lions, Jets) or really old guys at quarterback (Arizona, Tennessee, Sea Hags, Panthers) or they have serious questions.

So what were the Giants to do? Let him walk and pray that there is some second stringer out there that has never been given his due or pay the Superbowl XLII MVP?

RuthlessBurgher
08-06-2009, 09:32 AM
If, as many of say, Eli isn't worth the contract and you don't believe that he's that good of a quarterback in the NFL. What would you have done? Let him walk and hope you're #2 is ready? They didn't draft a quarterback (I don't think); so check practice squads for a diamond in the rough? Low ball him?

Quarterback is precious commodity in the NFL, more so now than ever before. Look at the Steelers in the 80s because they couldn't find that one guy that was even serviceable. You can win games, but, you can't win playoff games. The Giants had to re-sign Eli and they had to pay him, otherwise they become a 6, 7 or 8 win team.

I don't see that they had a lot of choice.

Pappy

Their options behind him are David Carr, Andre Woodson, and Rhett Bomar. Not pretty.

SteelTorch
08-06-2009, 09:39 AM
I don't think it's a bad deal for the Giants. When you look around the league at some of the QB situations I think they are in pretty good shape with Eli. As for the 'one lucky play' -- it's kind of like a Rorschach test -- people see what they want to see. If that's Ben we say he did an amazing job keeping the play alive and finding an open receiver etc.
Not in this case. Unlike Eli, Ben's had Superbowl moments and years worth' of good performances to back his contract up. Eli has one decent regular season and one good playoff run, and that's it. No matter how you rationalize it, they still overpaid for him, and I have a feeling they'll be regretting it down the road. :wink:

snarky
08-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Considering there are only six QBs in the league that have won a SB (one of whom is holding a clipboard), I don't think it is really a knock on the guy to say he's only won one. That was true of Ben last year, no?

Is it possible the Giants overpaid by a little bit? I guess so. But really what else were they going to do?

feltdizz
08-06-2009, 10:15 AM
I think the Giants paid what Eli is worth to a NY Giants team... most teams "overpay" in comparison to what we pay for players.