PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Burnett scorched, scorches

costanza2k1
08-03-2009, 09:58 PM
http://pit.scout.com/2/884491.html

Notebook: Burnett scorched, scorches
Joe Burnett at Central Florida (AP photo)
Joe Burnett at Central Florida (AP photo)

By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Aug 3, 2009

Monday's practice was fiesty and spicy, with a pair of rookies, an ex-CFL star, and an injured linemen making the news.

UNITY TWP. – Ben Roethlisberger complained that his arm won’t be full strength for about a week, but cornerback Joe Burnett wouldn’t believe it. The rookie intercepted a Roethlisberger fastball with one hand – after juggling it – to make a sensational diving catch.

“That was a fastball, like you said,” said Burnett, the 5-9 fifth-round pick who the Steelers view as a return man and nickel back.

The interception was the up in an up-and-down day for Burnett.

Early in practice, Burnett was beaten by at least five yards by rookie speedster Mike Wallace, who hauled in the bomb for a touchdown. Later, Burnett received several reps in the thankless task of punt gunner up against two defenders who took turns smacking him at the line of scrimmage.

Most of the reps included beastly rookie corner Keenan Lewis, who wound up and drilled the pinballing Burnett several times, but Burnett accomplished his goal of slithering through to the return men more times than not.

“Coach put it in my head that he wanted to see me be aggressive. ‘I want you to be my gunner, and I want you to beat the guy in front of you.’ Plain and simple, that’s how he put it to me,” Burnett said. “And I was aggressive. With two guys, they have the advantage and that’s what I’m going to see in a game, so I need the reps, and I got them. I think I opened coach’s eyes with that drill.

“As for Mike Wallace beating me deep, he’s going to do that to a lot of guys. He’s a good player. I was in nickel and I blew the coverage, but you also have to give a handclap for Mike Wallace. He ran a great route.”

MORE THAN A HANDCLAP

Wallace got more than a handclap from noted headhunter Tyrone Carter yesterday. During a 7-on-7 passing drill, one play after fellow safety Ryan Clark showed mercy on Shaun McDonald over the middle, Carter decked Wallace over the middle in a fashion similar to the way Anthony Smith decked Willie Reid the last two camps.

But, Wallace took the killshot, held on to the ball, got up off the ground, and started running for the end zone.

Was he surprised to be hit during the normally easygoing drill?

“Not really,” Wallace said. “I know our DBs are looking to rock the rookies out there. It’s all part of the game. I’m just playing football.”

Wasn’t it over the top?

“It’s all part of coming in. I don’t have a problem with it. I like it, actually. I feel like it’s going to make me better.”

Perhaps the incident, along with brief scuffles between Keyaron Fox and Tony Hills, and Scott Paxson and Ramon Foster, led Tomlin to comment about practice etiquette.

“We have to develop our practice etiquette, professionalism, just like we do our techniques and assignments,” he said.

COME AND GO BLUES

Pint-sized kick returner Stefan Logan was activated from the PUP list in the morning, but last year’s starting right guard, Darnell Stapleton, could be lost for a while. He came to camp with a problematic knee, but sat out both practices yesterday as he walked gingerly around campus.

“His knee acts up every now and then,” Tomlin said of the 23-year-old. “We’re actually taking a look at him (Monday). I’ll have more information in the morning or (Tuesday) afternoon.”

With Justin Hartwig also sidelined with a toe injury, Doug Legursky is now the center. Legursky was a three-year center at Marshall University. He made the Steelers’ practice squad last season as an undrafted rookie.

As for Logan, the 5-6, 180-pounder looked right at home returning punts on the Steelers’ artificial morning practice field. The 28-year-old finished fourth in the CFL in rushing last season and is hoping to catch on with the Steelers as a running back-wide receiver hybrid.

Logan has darting quickness, but there’s a rumor that Willie Parker beat him handily in a 40-yard dash last spring after a practice.

“No,” Logan said of the rumor. “Willie P needs to be out here right now. See, it wasn’t even a race really. We did 16 drills of cone work, and after that Willie P was like, ‘Hey, we’re going to run a 40-yard sprint.’ OK. Are we all out? Or are we just coasting at 75 percent? And he said, ‘No, I’m going all out.’ I was like, OK. After we took off, I didn’t know he was going to take off that fast, and I was like, ‘What?’ So once I saw it, I took off, and right at the line I passed him, so I did win. He’s a veteran so I’ll give it to him. If he wants to say he beat me, then he beat me, but really I won that race. That’s fine though. He said we’ll race again and I’m fine with that.”

Logan said he once ran a 4.35 40, but calls himself a 4.4 man.

“I think I have a legitimate shot as a punt returner, kickoff returner,” he said about making the team. “And I’m pretty sure the coaches would throw a few wrinkles in the offense to get the ball in my hands in the open field, and that’s what they’re trying to do. That’s why I have to take advantage of every opportunity and make something happen.”

costanza2k1
08-03-2009, 10:11 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/106899/

An eventful day for Burnett
Monday, August 3, 2009

By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

LATROBE, Pa. – If you were one of the 12,000 who attended Monday’s afternoon practice at Saint Vincent College, you couldn’t help but notice rookie Joe Burnett.

By way of introduction, Burnett is the team’s first choice in the fifth round of the 2009 draft, a 5-foot-9 cornerback who is quick and nifty enough to deal with receivers in the slot. And since there is no such thing in the NFL as having too many cornerbacks, Burnett is an interesting prospect in this camp.

Things didn’t start out so well for Burnett on Monday afternoon, because during an individual passing drill, he was beaten deep badly by fellow rookie Mike Wallace, who caught a long pass down the sideline for a touchdown.

But as Coach Mike Tomlin said on Sunday, the nature of training camp forces players to deal with good days and bad days, and within those days, good drills and bad drills. The measure of a professional is his ability to overcome the bad days and bad drills and not be lulled into a false sense of security by the good ones.

Burnett didn’t go in the tank after Wallace’s catch. In fact, he came on to finish the afternoon with an acrobatic, diving interception of Ben Roethlisberger, and he also broke up two other passes. Among those eye-opening good plays were a couple of others where he was in good position but couldn’t prevent the receptions.

It was a day where Burnett wasn’t perfect, but also one where he dealt with the setbacks and battled back to make some plays to help his unit. In other words, he looked like a real NFL player.

Another rookie who made an impression was Wallace, because in addition to the deep ball he caught behind Burnett, he also made a catch over the middle and held onto the ball despite a big hit from veteran Tyrone Carter in a non-contact drill.

After the session, Tomlin said he planned to address the concept of proper practice etiquette with the players.

“We come here to develop skill and to develop our team, techniques, and assignments but we also have to learn how to practice,” said Tomlin. “We take examples like the things that happened today as a teaching tool. This is part of football. That is the nature of this game. We have to instruct and teach that just like we teach assignments, and that is what we intend to do.”

INJURY UPDATE: “I gave some of the thirtysomething guys an off day to preserve them,” said Tomlin. “It was purely a coach’s decision. Trying to take care of those guys: James Farrior, Deshea (Townsend), Hines (Ward), Travis Kirschke and a few others. Some of our existing injuries are status quo – Troy (Polamalu) and Darnell Stapleton are still limited, as are Jeff Hartwig and Heath Miller.

NIGHT PRACTICE: The Steelers will hold their lone night practice of this training camp on Friday, Aug. 7 at Latrobe Stadium. Gates open at 5 p.m., and there will be an autograph session from 6:45-7 p.m. After that, practice will begin.

Jom112
08-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Mike Wallace was a solid pick. He'll definitely be able to get good separation from DB's in the NFL...

fordfixer
08-04-2009, 12:18 AM
An eventful day for Burnett

Monday, August 3, 2009

By BOB LABRIOLA

Steelers.com

http://news.steelers.com/article/106899/

LATROBE, Pa. – If you were one of the 12,000 who attended Monday’s afternoon practice at Saint Vincent College, you couldn’t help but notice rookie Joe Burnett.

By way of introduction, Burnett is the team’s first choice in the fifth round of the 2009 draft, a 5-foot-9 cornerback who is quick and nifty enough to deal with receivers in the slot. And since there is no such thing in the NFL as having too many cornerbacks, Burnett is an interesting prospect in this camp.

Things didn’t start out so well for Burnett on Monday afternoon, because during an individual passing drill, he was beaten deep badly by fellow rookie Mike Wallace, who caught a long pass down the sideline for a touchdown.

But as Coach Mike Tomlin said on Sunday, the nature of training camp forces players to deal with good days and bad days, and within those days, good drills and bad drills. The measure of a professional is his ability to overcome the bad days and bad drills and not be lulled into a false sense of security by the good ones.

Burnett didn’t go in the tank after Wallace’s catch. In fact, he came on to finish the afternoon with an acrobatic, diving interception of Ben Roethlisberger, and he also broke up two other passes. Among those eye-opening good plays were a couple of others where he was in good position but couldn’t prevent the receptions.

It was a day where Burnett wasn’t perfect, but also one where he dealt with the setbacks and battled back to make some plays to help his unit. In other words, he looked like a real NFL player.

Another rookie who made an impression was Wallace, because in addition to the deep ball he caught behind Burnett, he also made a catch over the middle and held onto the ball despite a big hit from veteran Tyrone Carter in a non-contact drill.

After the session, Tomlin said he planned to address the concept of proper practice etiquette with the players.

“We come here to develop skill and to develop our team, techniques, and assignments but we also have to learn how to practice,” said Tomlin. “We take examples like the things that happened today as a teaching tool. This is part of football. That is the nature of this game. We have to instruct and teach that just like we teach assignments, and that is what we intend to do.”

INJURY UPDATE: “I gave some of the thirtysomething guys an off day to preserve them,” said Tomlin. “It was purely a coach’s decision. Trying to take care of those guys: James Farrior, Deshea (Townsend), Hines (Ward), Travis Kirschke and a few others. Some of our existing injuries are status quo – Troy (Polamalu) and Darnell Stapleton are still limited, as are Jeff Hartwig and Heath Miller.

NIGHT PRACTICE: The Steelers will hold their lone night practice of this training camp on Friday, Aug. 7 at Latrobe Stadium. Gates open at 5 p.m., and there will be an autograph session from 6:45-7 p.m. After that, practice will begin.

Oviedo
08-04-2009, 08:09 AM
I also read that they had Burnett working as the "gunner" on punt coverage gainst two blockers. he reportedly fought through them both. Glad to see they are trying to define specific roles for him which means they likely have plans for him.