PDA

View Full Version : A physical day at the office

stlrz d
08-02-2009, 09:52 PM
http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent//2008/08/04/11/0803_TC_sweed_lewis_92676.jpg

In terms of what happened on the field, the offense came back and acquitted itself better than it had during Saturday’s afternoon session. Limas Sweed made a couple of nice catches – one in which he out-fought Keenan Lewis for a ball hanging in the air and another in which he made a diving catch along the sideline. Brandon Williams also made a diving catch along the sideline that appeared to be out of bounds, but referee/replay official/commissioner Tomlin ruled it inbounds.

http://news.steelers.com/article/106715/

mshifko
08-02-2009, 10:04 PM
i really think that limas is going to be our #3 guy...i see mcdonald being our #4 and williams being our #5/return man...

aggiebones
08-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Well he's bigger and faster than Shawn and been in our system a year.
Wallace may be faster, but that's it. Sweed has a big year ahead of him.

Basically this should be easy for him...but I have a feeling he's gonna struggle taking this job. We'll see. He has ZERO reasons why he doesn't win.

Either way, we'll see plenty of Shawn this season due to injuries, hopefully small ones or needs for a WR4. He'll fit that role well and may steal the WR3 spot periodically while others figure things out on the bench.

RuthlessBurgher
08-03-2009, 12:19 PM
i really think that limas is going to be our #3 guy...i see mcdonald being our #4 and williams being our #5/return man...

I agree about Sweed taking the #3 job and McDonald being the veteran #4. I would be shocked if Brandon Williams was kept as the #5 WR to return kicks, though. He was a quality return guy back in his Wisconsin days, but he hasn't been electrifying in the pros (38 kicks returned for 888 yards and a 23.4 average and 35 punts returned for 245 yards and a 7.0 average for the Niners and Rams). If they kept Williams, then Mike Wallace would have to make the roster as a 6th WR, which is a rare occurance. Although we have cut 4th round WR's in their rookie camps before (Danny Farmer and Fred Gibson), I don't see them cutting a 3rd round WR. I'll take Wallace as the #5 WR and return man over Williams.

flippy
08-03-2009, 12:24 PM
I want Limas to take the #1 WR spot.

If he does things to deserve to be #3, he's going to be Ben's #1 go to guy real quick.

RuthlessBurgher
08-03-2009, 12:31 PM

If he does things to deserve to be #3, he's going to be Ben's #1 go to guy real quick.

Over a couple of Super Bowl MVP's?

When Limas is named MVP of Super XLIV, then we can talk about him taking over the #1 WR spot. :D

flippy
08-03-2009, 12:38 PM

Over a couple of Super Bowl MVP's?

When Limas is named MVP of Super XLIV, then we can talk about him taking over the #1 WR spot. :D

nice prediction for SB MVP.

papillon
08-03-2009, 01:01 PM
I don't know if he'll be #1 or #2, but, in the very near future Holmes and Sweed are going to be #1 and #2. Ward can't play forever and I have to think his days as an active Steeler are ending this season or next.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
08-03-2009, 01:10 PM
I don't know if he'll be #1 or #2, but, in the very near future Holmes and Sweed are going to be #1 and #2. Ward can't play forever and I have to think his days as an active Steeler are ending this season or next.

Pappy

Hines just signed a 4 year, $22.1 million extension this April. Limas may eventually pass him to be a starter, but Hines should still be effective out of the slot. By no means do I see his days as an active Steeler ending this season or next.

proudpittsburgher
08-03-2009, 02:16 PM
http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent//2008/08/04/11/0803_TC_sweed_lewis_92676.jpg

In terms of what happened on the field, the offense came back and acquitted itself better than it had during Saturday’s afternoon session. Limas Sweed made a couple of nice catches – one in which he out-fought Keenan Lewis for a ball hanging in the air and another in which he made a diving catch along the sideline. Brandon Williams also made a diving catch along the sideline that appeared to be out of bounds, but referee/replay official/commissioner Tomlin ruled it inbounds.

http://news.steelers.com/article/106715/

I'm glad you provided the quote about what happened in that picture, otherwise I would have to assume that was the ball bouncing back out of his hands after a drop.
:stirpot :D :tt1

papillon
08-03-2009, 02:38 PM

Pappy

Hines just signed a 4 year, $22.1 million extension this April. Limas may eventually pass him to be a starter, but Hines should still be effective out of the slot. By no means do I see his days as an active Steeler ending this season or next.

I just don't see him holding off the young bucks, maybe next year, but the year after will be tough. He takes a beating during the season and he's as tough as they come, but, at some point he'll drop off precipitously. I see it sooner than later. They'll be looking to save some cap space for a young player (Holmes, Woodley, Sweed, Timmons) and he may be a casualty of that process as well.

The beauty of the Steelers is that, by and large, they try to have rookies learn before inserting them into the lineup to be productive. The downside is that a rookie contract seems to go by quickly, since, they don't play much in years 1 and 2 and next thing you know it's time to sign the next deal and the second deal is typically the big dog.

There will be a lot of current rooks or 2nd year guys coming due in two or three years. The Steelers are going to need cap space.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
08-03-2009, 03:07 PM

Pappy

I just don't see him holding off the young bucks, maybe next year, but the year after will be tough. He takes a beating during the season and he's as tough as they come, but, at some point he'll drop off precipitously. I see it sooner than later. They'll be looking to save some cap space for a young player (Holmes, Woodley, Sweed, Timmons) and he may be a casualty of that process as well.

The beauty of the Steelers is that, by and large, they try to have rookies learn before inserting them into the lineup to be productive. The downside is that a rookie contract seems to go by quickly, since, they don't play much in years 1 and 2 and next thing you know it's time to sign the next deal and the second deal is typically the big dog.

There will be a lot of current rooks or 2nd year guys coming due in two or three years. The Steelers are going to need cap space.

Pappy

If the team was thinking like that, they would not have signed Hines to the extension. They realized that by giving him an extra day off of practice during the week, plus excusing him from morning practices whenever they have two-a-days at camp kept him fresh. He had more catches and yards last season than any year since 2003. Plus he was still physical enough to break a first-round-draft-pick's jaw, and subsequently got a new rule named after him. Hines is more than a stats guy, though. He's a heart-and-soul guy. Those types of guys aren't typically cap casualties. I think Hines will be here until he decides that it is time to hang 'em up (it is difficult to predict when that might be).

NorthCoast
08-04-2009, 10:10 PM

Pappy

Pappy

If the team was thinking like that, they would not have signed Hines to the extension. They realized that by giving him an extra day off of practice during the week, plus excusing him from morning practices whenever they have two-a-days at camp kept him fresh. He had more catches and yards last season than any year since 2003. Plus he was still physical enough to break a first-round-draft-pick's jaw, and subsequently got a new rule named after him. Hines is more than a stats guy, though. He's a heart-and-soul guy. Those types of guys aren't typically cap casualties. I think Hines will be here until he decides that it is time to hang 'em up (it is difficult to predict when that might be).

Agree RB. Hines may be out a few games this season, but the coaching staff has really adjusted how he is allowed to practice to make up for gameday beating he typically takes. I think he will be at least 'serviceable' for another 3 yrs.

feltdizz
08-05-2009, 10:24 AM

I agree about Sweed taking the #3 job and McDonald being the veteran #4. I would be shocked if Brandon Williams was kept as the #5 WR to return kicks, though. He was a quality return guy back in his Wisconsin days, but he hasn't been electrifying in the pros (38 kicks returned for 888 yards and a 23.4 average and 35 punts returned for 245 yards and a 7.0 average for the Niners and Rams). If they kept Williams, then Mike Wallace would have to make the roster as a 6th WR, which is a rare occurance. Although we have cut 4th round WR's in their rookie camps before (Danny Farmer and Fred Gibson), I don't see them cutting a 3rd round WR. I'll take Wallace as the #5 WR and return man over Williams.

I would like to think Williams will be more productive on a Steeler return team then on the Niners or the Rams...

feltdizz
08-05-2009, 10:30 AM

Pappy

Pappy

I agree.... Hines is the type of WR who knows how to play within his physical limitations.. he doesn't rely on speed so he is good for another 4 years(his 4th year will be like Bettis' last with us)

he also is like Larry Bird.... Bird was a dirty a$$ player on the court. He grabbed, pulled, held, tripped etc.. anything to get open because he wasn't quick but he only needed an inch to shoot his jumper..

Hines is the same way, he will grab facemask, hold, trip and knock you jaw off if you aren't looking... some say it's cheating but if it isn't called???

aggiebones
08-05-2009, 12:07 PM
I think that's a bit exaggerated on Bird. He was sneaky, not dirty. He could BE dirty depending on who he played against. Ward is similar I agree.

Also, these new guys have so little grasp of what it takes in the pros that Hines will have zero problem holding them off, even Sweed who has a whole year of experience. Holmes had 55 catches for 800 yards last year in his 3rd year. Entering his 4th year he has finally shown that he is a stud to a degree. Sweed is not the talent level of Holmes, so minimum, I'd say his 4th year he can take over for Hines. At that point, I agree that Hines will hang around for 1 more farewell season.
I know Hines is gimpy, but he's not likely to hang it up too early. He likes Super Bowls and likes stats. He'll need another couple solid seasons to get some Hall conversation.
A couple more SBs wouldn't hurt either :)

feltdizz
08-05-2009, 12:26 PM
I think that's a bit exaggerated on Bird. He was sneaky, not dirty. He could BE dirty depending on who he played against. Ward is similar I agree.

Also, these new guys have so little grasp of what it takes in the pros that Hines will have zero problem holding them off, even Sweed who has a whole year of experience. Holmes had 55 catches for 800 yards last year in his 3rd year. Entering his 4th year he has finally shown that he is a stud to a degree. Sweed is not the talent level of Holmes, so minimum, I'd say his 4th year he can take over for Hines. At that point, I agree that Hines will hang around for 1 more farewell season.
I know Hines is gimpy, but he's not likely to hang it up too early. He likes Super Bowls and likes stats. He'll need another couple solid seasons to get some Hall conversation.
A couple more SBs wouldn't hurt either :)

dirty, sneaky.. whatever.. I think you get the gist.. I'm not saying they want to hurt players... well Bird didn't. But neither try to play outside the rules of the game and use tricks to make up for the physical limitations