PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy League Advice...

Jom112
07-28-2009, 05:33 PM
So I'm doing a Dynasty League for the first time this year. We have the draft tonight and was looking for some insight from you Steeler Fans.

Since it's a Dynasty League I'm thinking Heinz Ward will be undervalued, so I can get him in the mid-late rounds. But also available should be Nate Washington.

Who do you guys think will be better FANTASY wise for a Dynasty League: Ward or Washington?

P.S. It's a PPR League and everyone keeps their whole roster every year. We only draft rookies each offseason...

Iron Shiek
07-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Good stuff man...I've done a similar league for almost 20 years strong now...with basically the same guys I grew up with so I can help (although we keep a starting lineup only, but basically the draft each year is a battle for rookies and about 5 good backups, trading is always fun in the offseason).

Don't get too enamored in the fact that its a Dynasty League, you don't have to have all 24 year olds on your team. Someone like Hines would be a great 2nd or 3rd WR, so long as you get a competent backup that is a bit younger, or you trade for someone later on in the year or next offseason.

Nate is decent younger guy, but at this point who knows what to expect out of him in that offense. He'd likely be a perfect backup that you'd cross your fingers on becoming useful at some point in the season.

Jom112
07-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Good stuff man...I've done a similar league for almost 20 years strong now...with basically the same guys I grew up with so I can help (although we keep a starting lineup only, but basically the draft each year is a battle for rookies and about 5 good backups, trading is always fun in the offseason).

Don't get too enamored in the fact that its a Dynasty League, you don't have to have all 24 year olds on your team. Someone like Hines would be a great 2nd or 3rd WR, so long as you get a competent backup that is a bit younger, or you trade for someone later on in the year or next offseason.

Nate is decent younger guy, but at this point who knows what to expect out of him in that offense. He'd likely be a perfect backup that you'd cross your fingers on becoming useful at some point in the season.

I probably do need to get some more proven Vets on my team. Plus hardly anyone in the league probably knows about Nate Washington. So I might be able to land him in round 18 or something (We have 20 rounds in our draft).

I thought I read reports though that the Titans were very impressed with Nate so far and he could be their #1 receiver...

Iron Shiek
07-28-2009, 09:22 PM
He was so up and down with the steelers when given opportunities thought that it'd be hard to completely rely on him. But heck yeah, if he's available that late, I would take him for sure. Probably a little earlier than that though, I mean you are talking kickers, defenses and backup te's that late. But I'd slot him in as a #4 WR if you have to start 3, and if he's supposedly going to start in Tenn, then likely useable as #3 WR.

Jom112
07-28-2009, 10:19 PM
He was so up and down with the steelers when given opportunities thought that it'd be hard to completely rely on him. But heck yeah, if he's available that late, I would take him for sure. Probably a little earlier than that though, I mean you are talking kickers, defenses and backup te's that late. But I'd slot him in as a #4 WR if you have to start 3, and if he's supposedly going to start in Tenn, then likely useable as #3 WR.

Yeah, round 18 might be way too late. So far here is what my team looks like:

QB: Philip Rivers
RB: Steven Jackson
RB: Knowshown Moreno
WR1: Chad Ochocinco
WR2: Percy Harvin
WR3: Antonio Bryant
TE: Jason Witten

We're doing 15 hours (Max time) per pick, since it's 20 rounds. I figure the draft will end in a week or so.

Am I crazy or do other people think Moreno and Harvin will have big years? Well maybe not this year but next year. Both players have huge upsides, so I couldn't pass on them in a dynasty league.

BTW, thanks for the help...

Iron Shiek
07-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Hell yeah...in a league like this Moreno and Harvin are nice picks...hopefully there is some depth left in the upcoming rounds to get more solid starters at those positions...although Moreno may end up starting by week 1. He is a beast and while Denver has changed coaches...I thought I read they will still employ their usual blocking attack which they've seem to have perfected...so I think Moreno will be tight.

And I'm in love with Harvin...especially in my league. We get double points if a WR or QB runs a td or a RB catches a td. So he will be valuable if he is doing some wildcat crap. But he is just explosive in general...as long as he don't get arrested or cause a ruckus anytime in the next several months. He's been a handful already..

Nice team though. I am keeping Rivers (over Big Ben actually...blasphemy) in my one league. He is solid. And I think OchoCinco bounces back. Jackson is a monster. You should be solid. Let me know how it turns out for you.

Discipline of Steel
07-29-2009, 07:25 AM

Yeah, round 18 might be way too late. So far here is what my team looks like:

QB: Philip Rivers
RB: Steven Jackson
RB: Knowshown Moreno
WR1: Chad Ochocinco
WR2: Percy Harvin
WR3: Antonio Bryant
TE: Jason Witten

We're doing 15 hours (Max time) per pick, since it's 20 rounds. I figure the draft will end in a week or so.

Am I crazy or do other people think Moreno and Harvin will have big years? Well maybe not this year but next year. Both players have huge upsides, so I couldn't pass on them in a dynasty league.

BTW, thanks for the help...

Im not as high on Harvin as he is. (pun intended) Rookie WR RARELY make a big splash. Plus no Favre. Plus with AP, Harvin will only be a secondary offensive tool for the Vikes. Love Bryant as #2 receiver. I dont like Rivers but thats personal. Would focus on getting yourself another good RB early in the draft, you always need at least 3.

Jom112
07-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Just picked up Cedric Benson, so I have some depth now behind Moreno.

As for WR's, Hinez Ward and Donnie Avery are still out there. I'm planning on picking them in the next couple of rounds. I took some risks with drafting Moreno and Harvin early because I figured I could get players like Ward and Benson later. We'll see how the strategy plays out...

roman12003
08-28-2009, 12:57 AM
Great to know about Dynasty League. I think Ward will be better FANTASY wise for a Dyansty League!