PDA

View Full Version : Drew Bennett retires

plainnasty
07-26-2009, 10:26 PM
2 days as a Raven was all that he could take.

The Drew Bennett era in Baltimore ends
Posted by Mike Florio on July 26, 2009 10:12 PM ET
The Drew Bennett experiment in Baltimore has ended.

After a grand total of two days.

Bennett worked out for the team on Friday and signed a one-year deal. General Manager Ozzie Newsome raved about Bennett.

And now Bennett is retiring.

The news first surfaced on the Twitter page of ESPN Future's Adam Schefter.

Bennett's agent is circulating a statement regarding the situation. We've received a copy of it.

"After returning home from Baltimore this weekend, a previous knee injury flared up, making me realizing that I am unable to play another NFL season," Bennett said in the statement. "Therefore, I have decided to retire from the National Football League. I want to thank coach [John] Harbaugh, [offensive coordinator Cam] Cameron and Ozzie Newsome for offering me the opportunity to be a part of their outstanding organization, and apologize to them for this unfortunate situation.

"The Ravens are a first-class organization that I was truly excited to join. After an offseason of workouts and rehab, I thought I was ready to play again, but it became apparent over this weekend that while my mind is willing, my body will not be able to make it through another NFL season. I have been blessed to have the opportunity to play in the NFL for as long as I have, but it is time for me to move on to the next chapter in my life."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... more-ends/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/26/the-drew-bennett-era-in-baltimore-ends/)

proudpittsburgher
07-26-2009, 10:28 PM
I saw the post, and though, "what a stupid joke." Then I though, how friggen funny.

stlrz d
07-26-2009, 11:12 PM
http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/nelson-muntz.gif

Discipline of Steel
07-26-2009, 11:16 PM
He must have thought they were a bunch of jackazzes like I do. Knee injury flare up is a smokescreen.

Oviedo
07-27-2009, 07:51 AM
Maybe he saw first hand that Flacco is not the second coming of Favre/Marino/Elway all rolled into one.

I do think they will throw some money Mason's way to get him back but this could be great watching their passing game implode all season long.

Steelgal
07-27-2009, 08:17 AM
What a great read to start off my Monday morning!!!

:ratsuck

Jooser
07-27-2009, 09:53 AM
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq195/nawonthatbone/page%20graphics/lmao.jpg

aggiebones
07-27-2009, 10:37 AM
frankly, I wish he would have stayed. We knew he wasn't gonna help much, but they could get lucky with someone else.

isonator07
07-27-2009, 10:20 PM
A source close to Bennett claims Bennett took one look at Flacco's unibrow and decided to hang em up.

Acero
07-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Hmmm.... first Mason, now Bennett?

What's next?

Aug. 1 - Ravens sign Marvin Harrison
Aug. 3 - Marvin Harrison announces his retirement.

Aug. 6 - Ravens sign Joe Horn
Aug. 8 - Joe Horn announces his retirement.

Aug. 11 - Ravens sign Ike Hilliard
Aug. 13 - Ike Hilliard announces his retirement.

Aug. 16 - Ravens sign Joe Jurevicius
Aug. 18 - Joe Jurevicius announces his retirement.

I could go on...

Uncle Rico
07-28-2009, 09:20 AM

What's next?

I could go on...
What? Still no love in da burgh for Cedrick Wilson?

RuthlessBurgher
07-28-2009, 09:21 AM

What's next?

I could go on...

Keep going! I'd love to see Plaxico "Sweatpants Pistol" Burress and Matt "Cokehead" Jones retire as well.

Acero
07-28-2009, 09:41 AM
My favorite nick for Plax that I've seen is Plax "not happy to see you" Burress.

Geddit? :D

RuthlessBurgher
07-28-2009, 10:20 AM
After Bennett retired, the Ravens responded by signing WR Biren Ealy. Be afraid. :lol:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-3-226/Ravens-make-roster-move.html

Ravens make roster move
July 27, 2009 6:08 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

Baltimore signed free-agent receiver Biren Ealy and waived injured players Quinn Sypniewski, a tight end, and guard Brian Johnson. Ealy played in four games since 2007 and registered one catch for six yards.

The move comes just one day after veteran receiver Drew Bennett announced his retirement from the NFL. The Ravens signed Bennett to a one-year deal this past Friday. The Ravens open training camp on Tuesday.

plainnasty
07-28-2009, 10:19 PM
After Bennett retired, the Ravens responded by signing WR Biren Ealy. Be afraid. :lol:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-3-226/Ravens-make-roster-move.html

Ravens make roster move
July 27, 2009 6:08 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

Baltimore signed free-agent receiver Biren Ealy and waived injured players Quinn Sypniewski, a tight end, and guard Brian Johnson. Ealy played in four games since 2007 and registered one catch for six yards.

The move comes just one day after veteran receiver Drew Bennett announced his retirement from the NFL. The Ravens signed Bennett to a one-year deal this past Friday. The Ravens open training camp on Tuesday.

Biren Ealy fits the Raven's mold perfectly. He was released by the Saints earlier this year after he was arrested for being drunk and exposing himself to some ladies in a parking lot.