PDA

View Full Version : OL Rankings

Discipline of Steel
07-25-2009, 11:58 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9848 ... L-packages (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9848856/Positional-Power-Rankings:-OL-packages)

They have the Steeler line at #16, which I think is a fair ranking. They also mentioned the inability to drive defenders off the ball in short yardage situations. Another fair statement.

Panthers line at #2 looks very good to me...notice former Steeler Keydrick Vincent is the starter at RG.

RuthlessBurgher
07-25-2009, 02:05 PM
The Browns at #31? As an overall team, I can see giving them such a ranking. But as an o-line? I don't think so. They don't have the skill players that other teams have, but they are not bad in the trenches. They have a young, impactful left side to their o-line with Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach, and Alex Mack. I don't think we have anyone on our o-line that compares favorably with those guys. Would I trade our 16th ranked o-line for their 31st ranked o-line right now? Yes, I would.

However, I would like to temper such a glowing endorsement of our division rivals with the following undesputable fact:

:brownssuck

:lol:

grotonsteel
07-26-2009, 01:59 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9848856/Positional-Power-Rankings:-OL-packages

They have the Steeler line at #16, which I think is a fair ranking. They also mentioned the inability to drive defenders off the ball in short yardage situations. Another fair statement.

Panthers line at #2 looks very good to me...notice former Steeler Keydrick Vincent is the starter at RG.

I disagree with the rankings. Steelers OL is ranked a lot higher. Big Ben makes this O-line look better.

Discipline of Steel
07-26-2009, 03:09 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9848856/Positional-Power-Rankings:-OL-packages

I disagree with the rankings. Steelers OL is ranked a lot higher. Big Ben makes this O-line look better.

On the other hand, Ben can make them look equally bad by taking a lot of sacks himself. We are looking ahead at next year and I think these relative youngsters will show overall improvement, having developed together as a unit for another year. The Steelers OL got the job done, some of them twice. You could almost say who cares about the stats, they are proven winners...

phillyesq
07-27-2009, 11:22 AM
The Browns at #31? As an overall team, I can see giving them such a ranking. But as an o-line? I don't think so. They don't have the skill players that other teams have, but they are not bad in the trenches. They have a young, impactful left side to their o-line with Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach, and Alex Mack. I don't think we have anyone on our o-line that compares favorably with those guys. Would I trade our 16th ranked o-line for their 31st ranked o-line right now? Yes, I would.

However, I would like to temper such a glowing endorsement of our division rivals with the following undesputable fact:

:brownssuck

:lol:

At first, I didn't notice the Browns were ranked so low, but you're right, that ranking makes no sense. The left side of their line is very good to superb. Even if the right side of their line is slop, I don't see it being much worse than Colon/Stapelton. They also have a lot of depth -- Hadnot, Fraley, Womack, etc.

I think that 16 is probably a bit generous for the Steelers, but I suppose that winning the Super Bowl does entitle them to some cred. :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

grotonsteel
07-27-2009, 04:59 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":1lkwcgi8]http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9848856/Positional-Power-Rankings:-OL-packages

On the other hand, Ben can make them look equally bad by taking a lot of sacks himself. We are looking ahead at next year and I think these relative youngsters will show overall improvement, having developed together as a unit for another year. The Steelers OL got the job done, some of them twice. You could almost say who cares about the stats, they are proven winners...[/quote:1lkwcgi8]

There was an article regarding the O-line which said 20 sacks were because Steelers O-linemen were over-powered. 9 sacks were because of missing assignment and some 9-10 sacks were because of RBs missing their assignment. I don't see why Big Ben should make this O-line look bad.

Steelers running game was M.I.A last season. Was it because of poor O-line play or Steelers RBs poor play?

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2009, 06:28 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":3sw6gto4]http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9848856/Positional-Power-Rankings:-OL-packages

On the other hand, Ben can make them look equally bad by taking a lot of sacks himself. We are looking ahead at next year and I think these relative youngsters will show overall improvement, having developed together as a unit for another year. The Steelers OL got the job done, some of them twice. You could almost say who cares about the stats, they are proven winners...

There was an article regarding the O-line which said 20 sacks were because Steelers O-linemen were over-powered. 9 sacks were because of missing assignment and some 9-10 sacks were because of RBs missing their assignment. I don't see why Big Ben should make this O-line look bad.

Steelers running game was M.I.A last season. Was it because of poor O-line play or Steelers RBs poor play?[/quote:3sw6gto4]

I would say injuries to their top two RB's (plus having Carey Davis as a fullback) contributed to the poor rushing attack.