PDA

View Full Version : Speed keeps Steelers' Taylor in the game

fordfixer
07-25-2009, 03:28 AM
Speed keeps Steelers' Taylor in the game

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, July 25, 2009

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 35267.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_635267.html)

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Right before the start of the Steelers' final two days of voluntary practices in June, cornerback Ike Taylor was electronically timed in the 40-yard dash by speed coach Tom Shaw at Disney's Wide World of Sports.

Taylor was clocked in 4.26 seconds.

"We had a speed sign out here — it's a police radar gun they put on city streets,'' Shaw said. "We were running the 40-yard dash, and Ike ran 26 mph. The speed limit was 25, so Ike could have gotten a ticket for running.''

But seriously, folks.

"We had other guys running,'' Shaw said. "But 26 was a freak time. And he was just cruising.''

Taylor, 29, is a freakish athlete built more along the lines of a safety (6-foot-2, 200 pounds) than a corner. He also has a 42-inch vertical leap.

He ran 4.18 in the 40 (hand-held) at Louisiana-Lafayette's Pro Day in 2003 (he wasn't invited to the combine), prompting the Steelers to draft him in the fourth round that year despite the fact he played cornerback for only one season in college.

Taylor's speed and one-on-one cover skills influenced former Steelers coach Bill Cowher to start him ahead of veteran Chad Scott in Taylor's third pro season.

Taylor's world-class speed compensates for any lack of technique resulting from making the switch from running back to corner as a college senior.

Gil Brandt, the former Dallas Cowboys executive who now works for NFL.com and Sirius radio, rates Taylor among the top five cornerbacks in the league along with Oakland's Nnamdi Asomugha, Denver's Champ Bailey, Philadelphia's Asante Samuel and Dallas' Terence Newman.

"All I know is he's pretty good,'' Brandt said of Taylor.

In 2008, Taylor enjoyed one of his finest seasons. He recorded a team-high 15 passes defensed while yielding only two touchdown receptions for the NFL's top-ranked defense.

Taylor's play has prompted comparisons to former NFL cornerback Deion Sanders.

"The thing with Deion was that when the ball was in the air, he just out-sprinted the receiver to the ball,'' said track coach Brooks Johnson, who is based at Disney's Wide World of Sports and has coached a runner at every Olympics since 1968. "He didn't necessarily have the best technique, and he didn't have the best initial coverage. But once the ball was in the air, he got to it (first).''

Johnson said Super Bowl XLIII MVP Santonio Holmes, who trains with Taylor in Florida, has "world-class" sprint mechanics.

"If you took the best guys in the Olympics and showed their technique and showed (Holmes') technique, you couldn't tell if he was a football player or a track star,'' Johnson said.

But as fast as Holmes is, Taylor is faster — even with lesser technique.

"Form and technique, you can tell it's not the most important thing because Ike doesn't run like an Olympic sprinter," Shaw said. "The key to Ike's success is his speed. Ike runs like a football player who is fast. Now he's really learning the game of football. He's learning more and more how to play corner.''

Shaw coached Sanders at Florida State in track and later as a star cornerback in the NFL. He gives Taylor the nod over Sanders in the speed department.

"Ike is the fastest kid I've ever trained,'' Shaw said.

Shaw said that would include Tennessee running back Chris Johnson, who ran the fastest time ever at the combine (4.24), and Sanders, who ran a 4.27 for No. 2 on the combine list.

Taylor, who is entering his seventh NFL season, said he has the potential to run faster as he gets older.

Johnson, the track coach, is familiar with Taylor's running style and offered a comparison to Olympic sprinter Carl Lewis, who Johnson said ran faster at 31 than he did at 21.

Taylor said he can do the same thing — thanks to a technique adjustment.

"Tall guys have long strides," Taylor said. "I was kind of like a tall guy with a short stride. Now I'm running like a tall guy. I'm gaining more ground in my steps. I'm gaining weight, running faster and getting stronger. I can wake up, no stretch, no nothing, and run a 4.3. All day.''

stlrz d
07-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Come on...he's not that good...everyone knows our secondary (especially the corners) sucks and they are never exposed because of our tremendous front 7. :roll: :roll: :roll:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
07-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Speed keeps Steelers' Taylor in the game

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, July 25, 2009

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 35267.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_635267.html)

... I can wake up, no stretch, no nothing, and run a 4.3. All day.''

As a guy who's more than a bit past his athletic prime, I would encourage him to stretch ANYWAY, or one of these days he's gonna pull a hammy that will keep him out for 6 weeks!

DukieBoy
07-25-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm an Ike fan, like the article except for the comparison to Deion as Ike is a much better run supporter and tackler than Deion ever was. Now, if Ike could only catch the ball reliably ...

flippy
07-26-2009, 03:59 AM
I've always said that if Ike could hold on to INTs, he'd be widely recognized as one of the best CBs in the game.

steelcityrules!!
07-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Ike's work ethic and dedication to this team routinely trump my usually harsh criticisms of his ball skills.

I'm with Flippy... if the dude catches the ball, he's a bona-fide STUD. Deion couldn't tackle, but he could sure take the ball away, which is why he's still being talked about. If Ike can't take the ball away, his supposed greatness will fade as soon as he retires.

At this point, I just gotta give credit where it's due... and 15 passes defensed last season is quality.

feltdizz
07-26-2009, 08:27 PM
gotta get the INT's to be considered an elite CB in this league... just the way it is..

Ike is fast enough to return a few if he could just catch them....

aggiebones
07-27-2009, 10:45 AM
With a complete team like the Steelers, INTs aren't AS important. I have zero problems with him back there, but man he does have some stones for fingers. He's gotten a 'bit' better, but its not what he does. He doesn't need to be an elite CB to be successful for us. In fact, Cowboy exec. Gil Brant probably called him elite just to put contract pressure on us. Gotta say though, there seems to be far less elite CBs in the league these days. There are some, but due to defensive styles, not as many are required to be alone as much. Maybe there are more out there being suppressed, but seems top end CB numbers are down.

ramblinjim
07-27-2009, 11:18 AM
well add in the fact that all the rules are gauged towards helping the receiver and keeping up the scoring makes it harder for a CB to be considered "shut down".

Ike is very good and his physical abilities help make up for his lack of technique. I'd take Gay and Taylor with some help from Deshea Townsend over Chad Scott and Dewayne Washington any day of the week. Washington and Scott played on some teams that could really get after the quarterback too and those guys just weren't good back there.

feltdizz
07-27-2009, 11:45 AM
well add in the fact that all the rules are gauged towards helping the receiver and keeping up the scoring makes it harder for a CB to be considered "shut down".

Ike is very good and his physical abilities help make up for his lack of technique. I'd take Gay and Taylor with some help from Deshea Townsend over Chad Scott and Dewayne Washington any day of the week. Washington and Scott played on some teams that could really get after the quarterback too and those guys just weren't good back there.

there is no rule that says you have to drop sure INT's... LOL!!!!

This is what will kill his legacy IMO... Ike is so fast he is in position for 8 to 10 INT's a year...

I'll never forget a pass in the end zone that was in the air so long I said "drop" and indeed he dropped it. He catches most of the INT's when he turns and has no time to think about catching it.. but if he has a second to process a sure INT.. he drops it 9 out of 10 times...

I think as good as Ike is.. Gay has a chance to surpass him (INT's).. he isn't fast but he seems to find a way to ball hawk...

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2009, 12:02 PM
With a complete team like the Steelers, INTs aren't AS important. I have zero problems with him back there, but man he does have some stones for fingers. He's gotten a 'bit' better, but its not what he does. He doesn't need to be an elite CB to be successful for us. In fact, Cowboy exec. Gil Brant probably called him elite just to put contract pressure on us. Gotta say though, there seems to be far less elite CBs in the league these days. There are some, but due to defensive styles, not as many are required to be alone as much. Maybe there are more out there being suppressed, but seems top end CB numbers are down.

Gil Brandt hasn't worked for the Cowboys since Jerry Jones bought the team in the late 80's and cleaned house (including getting rid of Tom Landry). I don't think it would matter one iota to him whether he put contract pressure on us, since all that Brandt does now is the occassional spot on Sirius NFL Radio. Ike's contract status wouldn't be a question anyway since he is signed through this season as well as the next one.