PDA

View Full Version : Steelers LB Farrior packing on pounds

fordfixer
07-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Steelers LB Farrior packing on pounds

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, July 22, 2009

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 34700.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_634700.html)

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. James Farrior led the Steelers in tackles last season, despite weighing less than he had since joining the NFL in 1997.

Lighter on his feet and quicker to the ball, the linebacker said he will report to training camp next week heavier than he did a year ago.

"This year, I've been focusing on going into camp a little bit heavier than I usually do, so the weight I'm probably going to lose in camp won't be as bad," said Farrior, who's been working out at Disney's Wide World of Sports with speed and conditioning coach Tom Shaw since the end of team workouts in June.

Weighing as much as some safeties and running backs, Farrior led the Steelers in tackles for the fifth time in six seasons and was named to the Pro Bowl for the second time.

Despite maintaining that playing at 218 pounds didn't have a negative impact on his performance, Farrior said carrying more weight will help him during camp.

The Steelers are scheduled to report July 31 to St. Vincent College in Latrobe.

"Probably around 232 (pounds)," Farrior said of his planned reporting weight. "Last year, I came in around (225). I lost it pretty fast. It was pretty hot out there. I usually drop about five or six pounds the first day, so I want to go in with a little bit extra this year."

Farrior is the lightest linebacker on a starting unit that features LaMarr Woodley (265 pounds) and James Harrison (242). Lawrence Timmons, who's replacing the departed Larry Foote, has bulked up to about 245 pounds.

Farrior, 34, calls the defensive signals and probably understands the Steelers' defense better than any of the starters. He said his weight is a non-issue.

"The weight became a little bit of an issue toward the end of the season. I lost a little more weight than I expected to lose," Farrior said. "But it worked out well. We won the Super Bowl. I guess it didn't hurt too bad.

"I think it's all psychological for me. It makes me feel better to have extra (weight).

"Hopefully, I can be 230 when the season starts. I'll just work my way from there. As long as my body's healthy and I'm running good, that's the most important part."

Acero
07-22-2009, 08:21 AM
Hmmm, I think there's more to this story than meets the eye.

My hunch is that Farrior has an agreement with Casey Hampton where the latter clears o-linemen for the former in exchange for his lunch at the cafeteria.

RuthlessBurgher
07-22-2009, 09:05 AM
Timmons is up to 245 lbs???

Daymn...opposing players better learn their physics.

Force equals mass times acceleration.

Timmons already could accelerate with the best of them, and now he's added mass.

That's gonna equal pain.

http://www.themovieshop.com/prodimages/small/prodimage-8260.jpg

Oviedo
07-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Timmons is up to 245 lbs???

Timmons already could accelerate with the best of them, and now he's added mass.

That's gonna equal pain.

http://www.themovieshop.com/prodimages/small/prodimage-8260.jpg

Timmons could have an unbelieveable season. With the LBs we now have who do you prepare for and who do we attack with? Timmons will provide a new dimension to this defense with delayed up the middle blitzes. Opponents usually key on stopping the outside blitz and now they have something else to worry about. I could see Harrison, Woodley and Timmons all have double-digit blitz numbers this season.

Starlifter
07-22-2009, 09:55 AM

when driving on the road it also equals 'right of way'. that's why my wife drives an H2....... :tt1 :tt1

LouSteel
07-22-2009, 12:35 PM
when driving on the road it also equals 'right of way'. that's why my wife drives an H2....... :tt1 :tt1

You got it all wrong! When driving, right of way goes to whoever is driving the oldest, crappiest, most rusted out car.

That's why I drive a '93 Camry :lol: :lol:

fezziwig
07-22-2009, 02:23 PM
I have no problem with Farrior or the job he has done for us in the past, great guy and player. I did think he looked too skinny last season. He still got the job done, just looked skinnier than I had remembered him in prior seasons with the Steelers.

I don't think he gets talked enough about from us Steeler fans or the sports media loop. The guy in my opinion was a steal and I can't believe the Jets let him go. He I believe was a number one draft pick for the Jets and he sure does look like one. i'd take him over Jazz Hands any day of the year. Jets should be kicking theirselves for allowing him to go. I don't know any Jets fans to ask if they miss having him on their team still.

Farrior was a steel for the Steelers.

RuthlessBurgher
07-22-2009, 02:37 PM
When the Steelers ran the 4-3 in the 70's, the MLB Jack Lambert was the focus of everyone's attention while outside backers like Jack Ham and Andy Russell may not have gotten the credit they deserved.

Since we have switched to a 3-4, OLB's like Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Jason Gildon, Joey Porter, James Harrison, and LaMarr Woodley have been the focus of everyone's attention while inside backers like David Little, Hardy Nickerson, Levon Kirkland, Earl Holmes, Larry Foote, and James Farrior may not have gotten the credit they deserved.

Jooser
07-22-2009, 03:03 PM
When the Steelers ran the 4-3 in the 70's, the MLB Jack Lambert was the focus of everyone's attention while outside backers like Jack Ham and Andy Russell may not have gotten the credit they deserved.

Since we have switched to a 3-4, OLB's like Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Jason Gildon, Joey Porter, James Harrison, and LaMarr Woodley have been the focus of everyone's attention while inside backers like David Little, Hardy Nickerson, Levon Kirkland, Earl Holmes, Larry Foote, and James Farrior may not have gotten the credit they deserved.

:Agree Well put.

fezziwig
07-22-2009, 05:07 PM
I remember when Cowher picked up Foote, many thought he was a project at best but proved his worth kinda quickly in my opinion.

Holmes, I remember when he was drafted and he said he told Cowher over the phone, " you just picked the best middle linebacker in the draft. "

What was up with him and his time with the Steelers ? He didn't last long and then went where ? I don't remember too much about him ? Was he good , average or what ? Kind of thought some scandal or personality issue might have been a factor.

David Little did a good job for us and was lost within the comparison or the ghost of linebackers such as Lambert, Russell, Ham. I remember he made the pro bowl at least once.

Brian Hinkle was another guy that managed to play hard, smart and hustle to earn and keep his job.

RuthlessBurgher
07-23-2009, 08:55 AM
I remember when Cowher picked up Foote, many thought he was a project at best but proved his worth kinda quickly in my opinion.

Holmes, I remember when he was drafted and he said he told Cowher over the phone, " you just picked the best middle linebacker in the draft. "

What was up with him and his time with the Steelers ? He didn't last long and then went where ? I don't remember too much about him ? Was he good , average or what ? Kind of thought some scandal or personality issue might have been a factor.

David Little did a good job for us and was lost within the comparison or the ghost of linebackers such as Lambert, Russell, Ham. I remember he made the pro bowl at least once.

Brian Hinkle was another guy that managed to play hard, smart and hustle to earn and keep his job.

I remember Holmes playing a few seasons in Detroit (so Foote is not the first Steeler #50 ILB to go to the Lions), but when I googled him, it noted that he played 1 season in Cleveland between his 6 years in Pittsburgh and 3 years in Detroit. I must have blocked that from my memory banks (although, now that I think about, there may be a vague recollection there).

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Is it possible that our D can be even better this year than last?

RuthlessBurgher
07-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Is it possible that our D can be even better this year than last?

Yes, absolutely. The d-line is steady and now has improved depth. The LB's should outright dominate (all 4 could be legit Pro Bowl candidates). And the secondary somehow managed to get deeper in spite of the loss of McFadden (adding Lewis, Burnett, and Ratliff). If they manage to stay healthy, they could not only be the best in the league again, but they could be great on a historical level as well.

phillyesq
07-23-2009, 10:17 AM

You got it all wrong! When driving, right of way goes to whoever is driving the oldest, crappiest, most rusted out car.

That's why I drive a '93 Camry :lol: :lol:

Close, but you forgot an important exception to that rule. The right of way really goes to the guy driving the rental car who takes out the insurance! :lol: :lol:

steelernation77
07-23-2009, 12:27 PM

The Hit Man Earl Holmes was great, one of my favorite Steelers while he played here. He was a similar player to other Steeler ILBs, steady, consistent, and just racked up tackles. When you consider he didn't even have Casey in front of him (Holmes left in 2001, the year Hampton was drafted), that's pretty impressive. I know Kimo played as an undersized NT for a couple seasons but I can't remember who else did.

RuthlessBurgher
07-23-2009, 12:36 PM

The Hit Man Earl Holmes was great, one of my favorite Steelers while he played here. He was a similar player to other Steeler ILBs, steady, consistent, and just racked up tackles. When you consider he didn't even have Casey in front of him (Holmes left in 2001, the year Hampton was drafted), that's pretty impressive. I know Kimo played as an undersized NT for a couple seasons but I can't remember who else did.

For the first 4 of Holmes' 6 seasons with the Steelers, Joel Steed was the NT in front of him. Steed was a beast.

NW Steeler
07-24-2009, 10:08 AM
That hit Timmons had on Mason in the second Ravens game is one of my favorite Steeler plays to watch in recent memory. I see a lot of "Splash" plays in Timmy's future! If this defense stays healthy, they are gonna be f'n scary!

Oh yeah,

:ratsuck

Oviedo
07-24-2009, 10:19 AM
That hit Timmons had on Mason in the second Ravens game is one of my favorite Steeler plays to watch in recent memory. I see a lot of "Splash" plays in Timmy's future! If this defense stays healthy, they are gonna be f'n scary!

Oh yeah,

That may be why Mason wants to retire :ratsuck

NW Steeler
07-24-2009, 01:15 PM
To me, the biggest difference between the 07' and 08' seasons was that the Steelers got back to that mentality that they were gonna out physical the other team. I know that was Cowher's fight song, to be physical, but they seemed to lose that for a couple of years. Last year they were awesome to watch....I think that this year will be even better!

And.......

bostonsteeler
07-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Heavier = slower.

Bulking up may not be good for Timmons or Wood.

Farrior is light enough that it shouldn't make a great difference.

Steelerphile
07-25-2009, 08:04 AM
Heavier = slower.

What I think is very encouraging out Timmons and why I have complete confidence that he will be an oustanding player is that is making whatever changes he thinks he needs to make to be an effective IL.

If he stays the weight he was when drafted then some voice concern about him being "trucked". If he gains weight then there becomes a concern that will affect his speed, which is his oustanding characteristic.

I think he is smart and will find that happy medium. Gaining weight was a choice, not a matter of an out-of-control appetite like it was with Kirkland and Hampton. And his weight gain appears to be in good areas not in belly fat, like it is with Willie Colon.

I believe he played enough last season and sparkled enough when he played, that there is every reason to anticipate big things from him.

Honestly, and I don't want this to be interpreted as a swipe against Foote, whom I felt was a very good player, Timmons was better than Foote last year. Timmons should have been the starter. But I detected no pouting or negative vibes out of Timmons. So, he has character, talent and work ethic. Barring injury, I don't see how he can't be a star.

RuthlessBurgher
07-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Heavier = slower.

Heavier does not necessarily equal slower. If a guy is overweight, then, yeah, being heavier would make him slower. But at the mid-230's, Timmons was actually undersized compared to most ILB's (not Farrior, but most). Putting on an extra 10 pounds will help him with the pounding that he will take on 1st and 2nd downs, as opposed to playing primarily in nickel and dime defenses last year (which required more running than thumping).

Similiarly, Santonio Holmes has put on some weight as well. He's been listed in the low 190's for much of his career, but now he plans to be over 200 lbs for the first time in his career to make him better stand up to the pounding he will take, so he can do a better job beating a jam at the line of scrimmage and break away from double teams.

Woodley is not gaining weight. He's consistently been in the mid-260's for much of his college and pro career. Dude is thick. Completely different body type than any of our other backers.