PDA

View Full Version : Shaq to Take on Big Ben

Flasteel
07-20-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm not sure I like the idea of Ben dicking around with a guy the size of Shaquille O'Neal. Hopefully it's more like a pass, punt, and kick competition than a Pros Vs. Joes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4341098
Shaq to test skills in other sports
ESPN.com news services

Maybe Shaquille O'Neal's new nickname should be the Big Experimenter.
In a new ABC reality television series that begins filming this week, Shaq will take on other top athletes in their own sports.
"Shaq Vs.", which is set to premiere Aug. 18 at 9 p.m. ET, begins filming Wednesday in Pittsburgh, where Shaq will take on Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in football.
Future episodes of the hour-long show will feature Shaq against Olympic swimming sensation Michael Phelps, boxing legend Oscar De La Hoya, St. Louis Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols, tennis star Serena Williams and beach volleyball Olympians Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh.
Shaq told USA Today that he came up with the idea as a way to train for the NBA season. Shaq figured Americans "would really want to see an athlete play another sport," according to the newspaper. The Cleveland Cavaliers, Shaq's new team, have cleared the 37-year-old O'Neal to take part in the show.
He is scheduled to report for the Cavs' opening of training camp on Sept. 15.
According to USA Today, the episodes will feature preliminary challenges, news conferences, quality time with needy kids and negotiations of a handicap between Shaq and his competitors. Each episode will climax with a main event.
There's no cash prize for the winner. "Bragging rights are always better than any monetary prize," O'Neal told USA Today.

Sugar
07-20-2009, 12:05 PM
OK- the concept of the show is interesting and I'm sure BB will be fine whatever they do. One thing that puzzles me though is how they have Shaq taking on Oscar in boxing. I get that Oscar is famous and all, but he's not only retired but way smaller than Shaq. O'Neill should be facing up against Wlad Klitscho to at least give the appearance of fairness.

RuthlessBurgher
07-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Ben could use a 7'1" 325 lbs TE to help seal the edge on run plays or to catch TD passes in traffic by boxing out tiny DB's in the end zone. However, Brett Keisel would have to let him know that we already have someone named Diesel on our team. It is a short drive from Cleveland to Pittsburgh, so he can drive down the turnpike on Sundays while playing for the Cavs during the week, just to tick Cleveland fans off even more. :lol:

http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/71/90/shaquille_oneal.0.0.0x0.335x519.jpeg

AkronSteel
07-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Here's my take from ESPN comments regarding this new reality show:

I wonder why Shaq didn't use a Cleveland Browns player for the football segment of the show since he is new to the area and all???? Oh yeah, that's right they don't play real football in Cleveland like they do in Pittsburgh! Here's to another year of owning the Browns and their hapless fans!!! LMAO!!!

Just thought I would the laughs with everyone!!!

:tt1

Sugar
07-20-2009, 12:14 PM
:Agree

:brownssuck

MeetJoeGreene
07-20-2009, 12:17 PM
What is he going to do with Ben? See who can throw the ball the best-- that won't be very interesting.

If they wanted a fun-to-watch topic, they should have had Shaq play Left tackle and try to prevent James Harrison from getting to the QB for 3 seconds.

THAT would be funny.

Uncle Rico
07-20-2009, 04:03 PM
I'd like to see Shaq take on Fedor in some MMA action. Fedor's already disposed of one 7'2 goon so I don't think that he'd have too much trouble handling Shaq.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T89WQEkMmI

aggiebones
07-20-2009, 04:53 PM
quite frankly, I don't want Shaq near any of our players. I mean geez, he trips and falls on someone like Ben and pow our season is over.

I was wrestling with a 300 lb friend of mine. Mostly just drinking whiskey and goofin around. I'm around 200 lbs, but was throwing him around cause he was a bit drunker since he started earlier. But I stepped in a dog bowl and he fell on me, snap goes my fibula. There's a sobbering end to the evening.
OK, maybe just keep whiskey away from these 2.

stlrz d
07-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Ben could use a 7'1" 325 lbs TE to help seal the edge on run plays or to catch TD passes in traffic by boxing out tiny DB's in the end zone. However, Brett Keisel would have to let him know that we already have someone named Diesel on our team. It is a short drive from Cleveland to Pittsburgh, so he can drive down the turnpike on Sundays while playing for the Cavs during the week, just to tick Cleveland fans off even more. :lol:

http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/71/90/shaquille_oneal.0.0.0x0.335x519.jpeg

Shaq can't make the reach block. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
07-20-2009, 07:16 PM
quite frankly, I don't want Shaq near any of our players. I mean geez, he trips and falls on someone like Ben and pow our season is over.

Just make sure that Larry David is not invited to the taping of the Shaq vs. Ben show. :P

http://www.3click.tv/mp4//Curb%20Your%20Enthusiasm/season%202/metadata/186511.jpg

http://chicago.metromix.com/content_image/full/103541/560/370

ghettoscott
07-22-2009, 09:52 AM

Just make sure that Larry David is not invited to the taping of the Shaq vs. Ben show. :P

http://www.3click.tv/mp4//Curb%20Your%20Enthusiasm/season%202/metadata/186511.jpg

http://chicago.metromix.com/content_image/full/103541/560/370

:Clap :Clap :Clap ahhh, if only that were true....

RuthlessBurgher
07-22-2009, 10:14 AM
After the Lake Tahoe allegations surfaced, Ben cancelled the press conference that was supposed to take place tomorrow to support the "Shaq Vs." show (I doubt many of those questions from that press conference would be about Shaq, so it is probably a good move). However, filming of the segment is still set to go on schedule this Friday. It is pretty cool that it will be open to the public. Anyone in the area planning to go to see what kind of a deep ball the Big Aristotle throws?

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/07/21/sports/doc4a6671bc88f61419129405.txt

Shaq vs. Ben still on

By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
Published: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:56 PM EDT

Friday’s Shaq vs. Big Ben showdown is still on.

Despite a sexual lawsuit that’s been filed against him, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will take part in the Friday night filming for Shaquille O’Neal’s reality TV show.

However, Roethlisberger has canceled his Thursday morning press conference at Steeler headquarters that was scheduled to promote the “Shaq Vs.” competition.

Ambridge High School athletic director Randy Cosgrove and Alicia Good, the “Shaq Vs.” audience coordinator, both said that Friday’s event will go on as scheduled despite the controversy surrounding Roethlisberger.

Gates at Ambridge’s Moe Rubenstein Stadium open at 7 p.m. Filming is expected to begin at 8:30. The event is open to the public. There is no charge although donations will be accepted at the gates to benefit two sports programs at Ambridge High School.

Roethlisberger’s passing competition against O’Neal, the Cleveland Cavaliers’ 7-foot-1 center, will be telecast on Aug. 18 when “Shaq Vs.” debuts on ABC.

Jigawatts
08-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Just a reminder this is on tonight.

ABC 9:00 P.M.

RuthlessBurgher
08-18-2009, 02:00 PM
What is the over/under for the number of Shaq/Ben (Stein) commercials during the Shaq/Ben (Roethlisberger) show?

http://www.comcast.com/MediaLibrary/1/2/CM/VanityURL/images/lockitin/ShaqBen_noflash.jpg

ghettoscott
08-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Just a reminder this is on tonight.

ABC 9:00 P.M.

werd. thanks Jigga...

stlrz d
08-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Watching now.

ghettoscott
08-18-2009, 09:37 PM
listening to shaq say "here we go Steelers, here we go" made me sick.

Jigawatts
08-18-2009, 10:00 PM
No sacks? Best protection Ben ever had. :lol:

Djfan
08-18-2009, 10:07 PM
It just started here in CO. So far, it's pretty funny. The way Ben answered the gate - "no girlscout cookies" - was funny.

Iron Shiek
08-18-2009, 10:41 PM
It was entertaining. COuple of good laugh out loud moments. Ben is funny and a good showman...not quite at shaq's level...but they picked the right guy for this. Imagin how boring if it was manning or brees. McNabb is probably the only funnier guy...but he's a perennial choker.

Djfan
08-18-2009, 11:31 PM
The lead up to the game was very entertaining. The announcing for the game was lame.

I give it all a B+ only because it was Ben. Next weeks will be a D+.

fordfixer
08-18-2009, 11:36 PM
The lead up to the game was very entertaining. The announcing for the game was lame.

I give it all a B+ only because it was Ben. Next weeks will be a D+.

Nice to see you back on the Planet Dj :lol:

Starlifter
08-19-2009, 12:16 AM
ok, had to work late and missed it. is it worth finding out a way to watch via internet, download or someone with a tivo?

MicroBioSteel
08-19-2009, 01:41 AM
ok, had to work late and missed it. is it worth finding out a way to watch via internet, download or someone with a tivo?

No. It was really dumb. Spend the internet time on more productive activities.

feelthesteel
08-19-2009, 02:36 AM
i thought it was funny-ben gotta nice crib
number 7 in the pool and its not overdone.

proudpittsburgher
08-19-2009, 09:51 AM
You can watch it on ABC.com. It is up now. I'm shocked at you all, no mention of Ben's win over Shaq in HORSE? Ben whooped him twice, once in his own sport! And I was suprisingly entertained by the show. Now, I hear that Michael Phelps is on the horizon. I really think the only way this show is entertaining is if the competitor is personable. Phelps has the personality of a starting block. His commercials only got watchable when they decided he could only act if he remains silent. I do not expect good things from him.

stlrz d
08-19-2009, 11:16 AM
The HORSE game was funny. Ben came from behind and turned it on at the end to win.

How unusual. :P

proudpittsburgher
08-19-2009, 12:28 PM
The HORSE game was funny. Ben came from behind and turned it on at the end to win.

:tt2 :tt2

Iron Shiek
08-19-2009, 01:01 PM

And he even stated as much...he was like "Come back...didn't you see the Super Bowl?!"

Or something to that effect.

Starlifter
08-19-2009, 09:08 PM
yep i found it on ABC. not too bad, ben came off pretty good. Shaq was pretty funny. I kinda felt like (not that it matters) the game was rigged. how else do you explain every defender on bens team staying short and letting 3 receivers stand alone behind them in the end zone? the only thing that i didn't like is how my times athletes have to give each other the 'man hug'. apparently they've never seen the instructional video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUdWApwbudQ

Flasteel
08-19-2009, 09:54 PM
the only thing that i didn't like is how my times athletes have to give each other the 'man hug'. apparently they've never seen the instructional video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUdWApwbudQ

Holy crap that video was great. A few years back I wrote a book called "The Man Code" and this video completely reminded me of the section dealing with man hugs. I apologize in advance for any semblence of self promotion.

From The Man Code:
One thing we all have a low threshold for is unnecessary man on man contact or even a violation of our personal bubble of space by some dude. Inappropriate man touching includes various forms of the sometimes uncomfortable man hug, the dreaded man kiss, and any type of incidental contact especially involving the hands or skin on skin.

There are numerous forms of greeting rituals among males, with most of them dictated by the nature of the relationship and the norm that has been established or even the length of time it’s been since last meeting. Most of these acts involve some form of hand shake or pat on the shoulder, but many guys like to employ the half hug, chest bump, or even the full blown wrap around hug to say hello to male friends or family members.

First of all, if any of these types of greetings are used, it has to be mutually agreeable and already established between the parties, there is absolutely no ambushing allowed. All contact must be brief with particular attention being paid to moving the heads far enough to the side where no accidental facial contact can occur, and while patting on the back is cool, never squeeze.

If you’re one of those real touchy feely guys and regularly use the full wrap-around hug, never under any circumstances think that it might be an appropriate gesture, unless your acquainted with the other guy well enough to know that it’s his thing too, otherwise it’s real creepy. This type of embrace is usually only allowable between family and when there is extreme emotion involved such as reunions, goodbyes, celebrations or condolences.

Djfan
08-19-2009, 10:05 PM
I am willing to go on record and admit that after Santonio's catch was ruled a TD, I hugged quite a few men with great passion, all of whom were sweaty, and that I knew only about half of them.

I hope to do it again this coming February.

Flasteel
08-19-2009, 11:16 PM
I am willing to go on record and admit that after Santonio's catch was ruled a TD, I hugged quite a few men with great passion, all of whom were sweaty, and that I knew only about half of them.

I hope to do it again this coming February.

According to the Man Code, your masculinity is completely intact.

Starlifter
08-20-2009, 12:49 AM
hugging and even shedding a small tear after winning a world championship is clearly within the bounds of man-etiquette.