PDA

View Full Version : Two-a-days: Steelers rush attack in '09

PSU_dropout43
07-16-2009, 10:56 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9807 ... -NFC-South (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9807028/Summer-two-a-days:-AFC-North,-NFC-South)

grotonsteel
07-17-2009, 12:20 PM
"The Steelers have a long tradition of hard-nosed football anchored by a punishing run game and a suffocating defense"

Good read but i don't agree regarding punishing running game. Steelers don't have a punishing running game especially with Willie Parker as RB.I think BA should give more power to Big Ben to improve Steelers Offense.

With current set of rules in NFL one does not need a punishing running game to win a SB.

Healthy Mendy and Moore would help Steelers Running Game and Big Ben this season though.

Oviedo
07-17-2009, 12:32 PM
"The Steelers have a long tradition of hard-nosed football anchored by a punishing run game and a suffocating defense"

Good read but i don't agree regarding punishing running game. Steelers don't have a punishing running game especially with Willie Parker as RB.I think BA should give more power to Big Ben to improve Steelers Offense.

With current set of rules in NFL one does not need a punishing running game to win a SB.

Healthy Mendy and Moore would help Steelers Running Game and Big Ben this season though.

Couldn't agree more. It would be ridiculous to ignore the advantages that the NFL has legislated to give advantage to passing the ball. Some data from the last eight of Super Bowl winners and where their regular season rushing attack ranked:

2009-Steelers-#23
2008-Giants-#4
2007-Colts-#18
2006-Steelers-#5
2005-Pat-#7
2004-Pats-#27
2003-Bucs-#27
2002-Pats-#13

You need to be able to run the ball when you have to but nowadays that shouldn't be the default option because Franco and Rocky did it and some feel it is genetic. Your attack should be tailored to defeat a specific opponent and most defenses are better at stopping the run than they are the pass.