PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Mason RETIRES! LMAO....

Jooser
07-13-2009, 07:02 PM
Can ya say "Screw you, Baltimore!" ?

Per PFT....

Ravens wide receiver Derrick Mason retires
Posted by Aaron Wilson on July 13, 2009 5:21 PM

Baltimore Ravens veteran wide receiver Derrick Mason, 35, abruptly announced his plans to retire from the NFL, releasing a statement late this afternoon.

The two-time Pro Bowl wide receiver had his labrum and scapula surgically repaired during the offseason, but this isn't believed to be an injury-related decision.

"I have had a tremendous career and I played for two great teams, I had fun," Mason told Jocklife.com. "In my career, I have been able to do everything but win a Super Bowl. I've had the opportunity to play on great teams and with great players. After 12 years, I have seen it all and done it all. Right now, I am content with the decision I am making. All good things come to an end and I am ready to see what else life has to offer."

"I have been thinking about this since season ended. Emotionally I am just not that enthused. I have not been that enthused to get up and work out...it was getting to that point."

Mason had lobbied the Ravens for a contract extension after last season. Team officials had indicated that they were amenable to that request, but nothing was imminent.

"This decision has nothing to do with the contract situation," Mason said. "I have made enough money, more than enough money. Emotionally there are things that are more important.

"It's time right now. I don't know what's going to happen from here, but it's going to be really nice to see what life has in store for me. What I want people to remember about my NFL career is that I played hard...played hard in practice and the game. I tried to make everyone better and would do anything to help."

Last season, Mason battled the shoulder injury and still caught 80 passes for 1,037 yards and five touchdowns. For his career, he caught 790 passes for 10,061 yards and 52 touchdowns.

With Mason retiring, the Ravens will likely have to go with Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams as their top wide receivers.

The Ravens explored a trade for Anquan Boldin during the offseason, but ultimately passed due to high trade compensation demands as well as Boldin's asking price.

They were linked to Brandon Marshall, but never seriously got involved in a bid for the Denver Broncos' trouble-prone wideout.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jooser
07-13-2009, 07:07 PM
:lol: The Ravens' board ranges from sheer panic to complete denial.

stlrz d
07-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Hilarious!!!!!

Lonbull
07-13-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm taking a let's see how this thing plays out approach.

Mason is probably an emotional wreck right now following Steve McNair's funeral.

He may just need some time to re-think this decision.

Beyond that this also clears the way for Brandon Marshall to come aboard. Certainly there will need to be some cap work - but Mason at least was the devil you knew.

You also have to be concerned that the Raiders could drop someone like Javon Walker or even Ocho Cinco could come into the mix. I wouldn't count the Ravens out on getting a deal done - they have to feel they were only 1 victory in Pittsburgh away from going too, and winning their second Super Bowl.

Unlike the Browns and Bengals a blow like this doesn't necessarily mean the team is just going to curl up and die.

L.B.

fezziwig
07-13-2009, 08:22 PM

Mason is probably an emotional wreck right now following Steve McNair's funeral.

Beyond that this also clears the way for Brandon Marshall to come aboard. Certainly there will need to be some cap work - but Mason at least was the devil you knew.

You also have to be concerned that the Raiders could drop someone like Javon Walker or even Ocho Cinco could come into the mix. I wouldn't count the Ravens out on getting a deal done - they have to feel they were only 1 victory in Pittsburgh away from going too, and winning their second Super Bowl.

Unlike the Browns and Bengals a blow like this doesn't necessarily mean the team is just going to curl up and die.

L.B.

I have to agree with everything you have said. Truth be known, it is funny to me that he may be gone for good. What, two seasons or when ever he signed, the Ravens fans thought we should be shaking in our boots.

Oviedo
07-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Like I said before. Mark it down for 2009.

Steelers 11-5
Bumgals 9-7
Ratbirds 8-8
Clowns 6-10

The Ravens of 2009 will be the Browns of 2008.

Acero
07-13-2009, 08:58 PM

Does that mean Joe Flacco will be in 2009 what Derek Anderson was in 08? Hey, as long as the Steelers of 2009 are the Steelers of 2008 (with upgrades in the running and punting games) I'll be happy :)

:tt1 :tt1 :tt1

RuthlessBurgher
07-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Ozzie Newsome has two options:

1. Go into the season with just the underachieving Mark Clayton and the injury prone Demetrius Williams as your starting wideouts, leading to an epic-level sophomore slump for Joe Flacco, potentially ruining his confidence in a Derek Anderson type fashion.

2. Overpay in both trade compensation as well as the contract it would take to acquire a veteran WR at this point. The loss of premium draft picks and the huge salary cap hit would be sweet.

:lol: :ratsuck

stlrz d
07-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Perhaps Mason had a little something on the side in Baltimore and what happened to McNair scared him into retirement so he could get out of town!

Iron Shiek
07-13-2009, 09:25 PM

Steelers 11-5
Bumgals 9-7
Ratbirds 8-8
Clowns 6-10

I'm right there with you Oviedo...I could even see rats going under .500, but Bungles will finish above them this year I feel. Rats crumble...we rejoice while winning division yet again. Sounds good to me.

And I always thought Mason was a tough player. Got some tough yards (most of the time)...

Jom112
07-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Hopefully they don't trade for Brandon Marshall...

Iron Shiek
07-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Jom...I just hope they don't "Randy Moss" the Broncos and get Marshall for a bag of chips like the cheaters did the raiders. But then again Al davis isn't running the broncos. If they get him, I just want to see them pay a steep price and ruin their future a bit (whatever future they may have).

RuthlessBurgher
07-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Hopefully they don't trade for Brandon Marshall...

Marshall is quite talented, but is also a head case. If it costs them multiple high draft picks as well as a huge, potentially salary cap crippling contract to extend him to a long term deal, I won't mind them trading for Marshall one bit.

Just read the list of "legal troubles" from his wikipedia page:

Legal trouble
According to Orlando-Orange County public records (case 48-2004-MM-012392-O), on Halloween 2004, while a student at UCF, Marshall was arrested in Orlando on charges of assault on a law enforcement officer, refusal to obey, disorderly conduct and resisting an officer.[39]

On January 1, 2007, Marshall was present at "The Shelter," a nightclub in Denver, Colorado, along with teammates Javon Walker and Darrent Williams. The trio was attending a birthday party held for and by Denver Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin. As the players were leaving the club in a limousine, Williams was fatally shot in the neck after an unknown assailant opened fire on the vehicle. Willie Clark was later charged with the murder.[40] Walker has stated in interviews that the shooter was likely a nightclub patron whose motive was retaliation after being involved in an altercation with Marshall's cousin earlier that night.[41]

On March 26, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Highlands Ranch suburb of Denver on suspicion of domestic violence after his girlfriend reported that following a domestic dispute, Marshall prevented a taxi she was in from leaving his house.[42] Charges from the incident were later dismissed on May 25, 2007, after Marshall completed anger management counseling.[43]

In the early morning of October 22, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Denver-Aurora metropolitan area at the intersection of 14th and Blake St. for driving under the influence of alcohol.[44] A trial was scheduled for September 16, but Marshall instead agreed to a plea bargain four days earlier; he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of driving while ability impaired.[45] He was sentenced to one-year probation and 24 hours of community service.

On June 12, 2008, Marshall was ticketed for an illegal lane change, then found to be without his license and proof of insurance.[46] The case was eventually dropped as part of a plea bargain for the October 22, 2007 driving incident involving alcohol.[45]

According to an article published in the Rocky Mountain News on July 28, 2008, Douglas County deputies fielded "about 11" calls to Marshall's home since January 2006. The article stated that one call resulted in Marshall being arrested (the March 26, 2007 domestic dispute), and some did not involve him at all.[47]

A September 17, 2008 article on CompleteColorado.com stated that the solicitor's office in Fulton County, Georgia filed misdemeanor battery charges on September 10 for an alleged incident on March 4, 2008, in Atlanta, Georgia. Marshall was booked on March 6, then released the next day after posting a $1,000 cash bond.[48] The case was assigned to Judge John Mather in Georgia state court. An email from Judge Mather's office to CompleteColorado.com indicated that no court date had been set, but that the date would likely be in November or December.[49]

On March 1, 2009, Marshall was arrested in Atlanta for disorderly conduct after allegedly being involved in a fight with his fiancee, Michi Nogami-Campbell. Marshall was released on a $300 bond.[50] The charges were dropped the following day.[51]

Plus this dumb incident:

On March 22, 2008, Marshall slipped on an empty McDonald's bag while wrestling with family members, and subsequently, fell through a television set at his home in Orlando, Florida - cutting his right forearm.[19][20][21] According to Broncos head athletic trainer Steve Antonopulos, Marshall "sustained right forearm lacerations to one artery, one vein, one nerve, two tendons and three muscles."[21] He was treated at a local hospital and later released after needing a cast and several stitches. In early April, Marshall had the cast removed from his surgically repaired right forearm and was in a sling until May.[22] He was cleared in late-June to practice with the Broncos.[23] He later revealed that his right hand was numb during the entire 2008 season.[24]

Iron Shiek
07-13-2009, 09:37 PM
And I thought the McDonalds bag was the initial "story" from him saying he just slipped on it unimpeded. Basically he was lying but it came out later that he was screwing off. Smart guy... :ratsuck

Flasteel
07-14-2009, 01:53 AM
Well, this was posted earlier on PFT...and apparently on Fabian Washington's Twitter account:

Fabian Washington not happy that Mason is retiring
Posted by Mike Florio on July 14, 2009 12:58 AM
One of the benefits of Twitter is that we'll potentially get real, candid reactions from NFL players to the various occurrences and developments that are part of life in the NFL.

Ravens cornerback Fabian Washington provided just such a real, candid reaction on Monday with his response to the news that receiver Derrick Mason is retiring (unless he doesn't).

"LOSING DERRIK [sic] MASON IS A BIG BLOW TO US," Washington wrote on his Twitter page.

And he punctuated it with an all-caps "F" bomb.

So, basically, this Twitter thing will get very interesting once the games start this year, even if none of the players will actually be tweeting from the games.

phillyesq
07-14-2009, 07:52 AM

L.B.

I have to agree with everything you have said. Truth be known, it is funny to me that he may be gone for good. What, two seasons or when ever he signed, the Ravens fans thought we should be shaking in our boots.

I'm a bit cautious as well, but unless and until the ravens go out and find another starting caliber WR, I'll be enjoying this!

:ratsuck

Oviedo
07-14-2009, 08:20 AM

Steelers 11-5
Bumgals 9-7
Ratbirds 8-8
Clowns 6-10

I'm right there with you Oviedo...I could even see rats going under .500, but Bungles will finish above them this year I feel. Rats crumble...we rejoice while winning division yet again. Sounds good to me.

And I always thought Mason was a tough player. Got some tough yards (most of the time)...

Everyone saw what happened to Derek Anderson last season after the Defensive Coordinators in the league had a year of tape on him. LeBeau gave them the blueprint in last year's championship game on how to beat Flacco and you can bet everyone took notice.

Flacco at this point of his career is much more of a game manager who was asked not to blow it and let the defense keep them close and ride their running attack. The Ratbird fans are in for a huge disappointment this season. Losing Mason is the worst possible loss they could have had on offense. But keep in mind we are not talking Jerry Rice here. He is a good but not a great receiver. They were going to take a step back even with him IMO.

The best possible outcome if they go and get someone like Boldin or Marshall is that they will lose premium picks because everyone knows they are desperate plus they will screw up their cap that could effect their ability to keep Suggs. No Suggs and their defense become ordinary very fast.

pfelix73
07-14-2009, 09:15 AM
I guess another option for them would be to bring in Marvin Harrison too. Don't know how healthy he is though, because you'd think if he were healthy, he'd already be signed by someone.....

:2c

Glad it's their problem and not ours..........

phillyesq
07-14-2009, 09:34 AM
I guess another option for them would be to bring in Marvin Harrison too. Don't know how healthy he is though, because you'd think if he were healthy, he'd already be signed by someone.....

With his recent gun problems in North Philly, he should fit right in with Ray. :lol:

Oviedo
07-14-2009, 09:43 AM

Harrison doesn't scare anyone anymore. The fact that he is an Indy legend and they let him speaks volumes about where his game is.

RuthlessBurgher
07-14-2009, 10:11 AM

I think as soon as Fav-ruh officially signs in Minnesota, Harrison will sign there as well.

pfelix73
07-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Really? That's your guess? Interesting. I agree that his game isn't what it used to be....

:tt1

pfelix73
07-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Ruthless-

I get it- you are just talking him up (and Fah-vre too) so I'll pick one of those 2 in the 1st round of the draft aren't you? Well, let me tell ya, I'm going with a kicker, maybe Reed in round 1......

:lol:

RuthlessBurgher
07-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Really? That's your guess? Interesting. I agree that his game isn't what it used to be....

:tt1

Sure, Marvin has lost a step or two, but having Bernard Berrian, Marvin Harrison, Sidney Rice, and Percy Harvin for Favre to throw to (with Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor behind him) wouldn't be too shabby.

Jooser
07-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Word out of Ratland is that it's all a ploy for a new contract. I guess it remains to be seen. Either they're in complete denial or Mason is a whack-job. I don't know. No matter how you look at it, it's still a fugged up situation for them.

pfelix73
07-14-2009, 11:37 AM
I bet he was on the verge of retiring and then when McNair was killed, that was enough for him..... I can see that. If the drive isn't there any more it's time to quit.

Oh well.

Oviedo
07-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Word out of Ratland is that it's all a ploy for a new contract. I guess it remains to be seen. Either they're in complete denial or Mason is a whack-job. I don't know. No matter how you look at it, it's still a fugged up situation for them.

As I said with or without him they are taking a step back. His status just determines how big a step.

Steelgal
07-14-2009, 02:06 PM
They have a day left to sign Suggs to a long-term deal. If it doesn't get done, this is most likely his last year in Baltimore because they've used the Franchise Tag on him twice already. Plus if they don't sign him long-term, they don't have much money to sign any big name wide receiver anyway..... Hate to be a Rats fan right about now

Jooser
07-14-2009, 02:49 PM
I Love It!
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/jon_86_photos/thravens_suck_ani.gif

RuthlessBurgher
07-15-2009, 06:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4329915

Updated: July 15, 2009, 3:29 PM ET
Ravens take wait-and-see approach
By James Walker
ESPN.com

Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh said in a conference call Wednesday that he plans to meet with top receiver Derrick Mason soon.

The subject undoubtedly will revolve around Mason's sudden retirement earlier this week, and whether there's a chance he will change his mind before the start of the 2009 season.

The Ravens were caught off guard Monday when Mason, who led the team in receptions and yards in 2008, told jocklife.com that he was calling it quits after 12 seasons. Mason had been rehabbing his shoulder this offseason and was in Baltimore as recently as Monday.

Mason cited the passing of longtime friend and former teammate Steve McNair as a major reason he is leaving the game and recently told ESPN that he is "99 percent" sure of his decision. Baltimore is still taking a wait-and-see approach until Mason meets with team officials and files the official paperwork.

"We have an appointment to talk real soon, either by phone or when I get back next week," Harbaugh said. "So it will be interesting to see where he is at with everything. I know he's going through a lot in the last couple weeks with Steve's situation and those kinds of things. But I'm looking forward to talking to him."

The Ravens have been in the process of examining what's available in the free-agent market at receiver. Veterans such as Marvin Harrison, Matt Jones and Amani Toomer are some of the established names still looking for work.

Right now the Ravens are thin at the position, as Mark Clayton is one of the few receivers with starting experience on the roster. Baltimore is hoping to get the issue resolved before the team opens training camp on July 28.

"Whatever he does, I stand behind him 100 percent," said Ravens defensive end/linebacker Terrell Suggs, who signed a six-year, $63 million extension Wednesday. "I would love to have him for another year, but only Derrick Mason knows what's good for him."

James Walker covers the AFC North for ESPN.com.

NKySteeler
07-15-2009, 07:08 PM
I know it's not a popular opinion amongst Steeler Nation (or at least this message board), but I do think Flacco is gonna be a quality qb and a worthy opponent for the next several years... Losing Mason is a HUGE hit to them (not that I am saddened) because Mason was apparently Flacco's "go to" guy from what I've read, and they were already extremely thin at the position to begin with... It's bad news for Flacco and the Ratbirds, but good news for everyone else.

costanza2k1
07-16-2009, 03:54 AM
I know it's not a popular opinion amongst Steeler Nation (or at least this message board), but I do think Flacco is gonna be a quality qb and a worthy opponent for the next several years... Losing Mason is a HUGE hit to them (not that I am saddened) because Mason was apparently Flacco's "go to" guy from what I've read, and they were already extremely thin at the position to begin with... It's bad news for Flacco and the Ratbirds, but good news for everyone else.

I do agree, Flacco will turn out to be a franchise QB for the Ravens. Sucks for him and great for us that he just lost another weapon. The key to Ben's development was talent around him. Flacco has the line and the RBs but unfortunately for him he doesn't have the WRs needed to continue his development. The way the Ravens run their FO that won't be a problem for him for too long, I suspect they'll surround him with talent with asap. Their biggest anchor right now is Ray Lewis, he's tying up some $$$ in the cap...it will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

Oviedo
07-16-2009, 09:07 AM

I do agree, Flacco will turn out to be a franchise QB for the Ravens. Sucks for him and great for us that he just lost another weapon. The key to Ben's development was talent around him. Flacco has the line and the RBs but unfortunately for him he doesn't have the WRs needed to continue his development. The way the Ravens run their FO that won't be a problem for him for too long, I suspect they'll surround him with talent with asap. Their biggest anchor right now is Ray Lewis, he's tying up some $$$ in the cap...it will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

I'm not sure I'm ready to give Flacco "franchise QB" status quite yet. Last season he had almost as much INTs as TDs and he only had an 80.0 QB rating. Until he shows me more I'm not convinced he is any better than a average to good QB on a team with a superior defense. I'll throw out the "game manager" label that is so many times attributed to Big ben and apply it to Flacco because he was clearly that last season and never asked to put the team on his back and win a game with his arm. When he had to he was not successful.

To me he is still getting hyped like the Derek Anderson of 2008. He has to show more this season.

aggiebones
07-16-2009, 10:07 AM
He is very important to them. I bet Flacco goes and begs him much like Ben did to Bettis to get him to play one more. Mason is a gamer and once practices start, he'll have a tough time staying on the sidelines. He may however like to skip his last training camp or most of it.
If he stays out, then that will hurt them.
But Baltimore is a solid organization that doesn't let 1 player affect them and they won't mortgage their future. They'll find someone to plug in, like Harrison and hope their young guys step up. They really should have drafted a WR semi-early last draft, especially since Mason didn't have much left for sure.
But they build up front and on defense. Flacco is solid and will progress some. Hard to tell his ceiling after 1 season.
They will be 8-8, in a worse case scenario.

RuthlessBurgher
07-16-2009, 10:18 AM
He is very important to them. I bet Flacco goes and begs him much like Ben did to Bettis to get him to play one more. Mason is a gamer and once practices start, he'll have a tough time staying on the sidelines. He may however like to skip his last training camp or most of it.
If he stays out, then that will hurt them.
But Baltimore is a solid organization that doesn't let 1 player affect them and they won't mortgage their future. They'll find someone to plug in, like Harrison and hope their young guys step up. They really should have drafted a WR semi-early last draft, especially since Mason didn't have much left for sure.
But they build up front and on defense. Flacco is solid and will progress some. Hard to tell his ceiling after 1 season.
They will be 8-8, in a worse case scenario.

Well, you can't blame them for trading up to get Oher. I wanted us to trade up to get Oher, so I obviously think that was a smart move (especially considering Willie Anderson retiring shortly after the draft...the team must have had inside knowledge about the extent of his injuries and realized the importance of getting a quality tackle above all else).

In the second round, when they took Paul Kruger, there really wasn't a WR with a strong second round grade available. The next WR didn't come off the board until 25 picks later, so if they grabbed a WR there, it would have been a reach.

They picked CB Lardarius Webb in the 3rd, which, unfortunately for them, came right after a run on WR's (5 out of the 6 picks immediately before their pick were wideouts: Derrick Williams, Brandon Tate, Mike Wallace :tt2 , Ramses Barden, and Patrick Turner). I suppose that they could have taken Juaquin Iglesias there instead of Webb if they had known that Mason would be hanging them up (especially since they went CB-heavy in free agency with Dominique Foxworth and Chris Carr).

pfelix73
07-16-2009, 11:12 AM
I thought they should have picked a WR in round 1.

:stirpot

papillon
07-16-2009, 11:20 AM

It's too difficult to tell how good or bad Flacco will be as an NFL quarterback. He rarely, if ever, was asked to do very much during a game last year; he did even less than Ben did his rookie season. Flacco rarely took risks with the ball, the defense played great and the running game was good. At some point they are going to have to take the Ferrari off the test track and put it on the race track, that's when you'll see what the kid can and can't do.

Pappy

NKySteeler
07-16-2009, 12:07 PM
It's too difficult to tell how good or bad Flacco will be as an NFL quarterback. He rarely, if ever, was asked to do very much during a game last year; he did even less than Ben did his rookie season. Flacco rarely took risks with the ball, the defense played great and the running game was good. At some point they are going to have to take the Ferrari off the test track and put it on the race track, that's when you'll see what the kid can and can't do.

Pappy

Granted, it is definitely too early to make any assumptions as to how he'll turn out. While he wasn't stellar with his numbers, I did think he was somewhat solid at the position... Or at least well above average for a starting rookie qb... I also agree with you and Oviedo that more needs to be seen as to where he will rank, but I was just impressed with how he did last year and think he'll turn-out to be good... Yea, he could be another Derek Anderson, and has earned the "game manager" label at this point, but he could also turn out to be a high quality opponent... Everyone is right, and only time will tell.... All I know is that I think he's gonna make that team more dangerous, and me more nervous, than Kyle Boller or any of their recent qbs.... And inspite of the fact that it's the Ratbirds, I sorta like the guy... :wink:

stlrz d
07-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Rookie to rookie comparison, for those who may not have looked. Stats don't tell the whole story, but I think they're something to ponder at least.

Ben (14 games, 13 starts) - 196 comp; 295 att; 66.4% comp; 2,621 yards; 8.9 avg; 17 td; 11 int; 30 sacks; 98.1 rating

Joe (16 starts) - 257 comp; 428 att; 60.0% comp; 2,971 yards; 6.9 avg; 14 td; 12 int; 32 sacks; 80.3 rating

Some of the math (based on number of games) - Ben averaged only two completions per game less than Joe (14 completions per to 16 completions per). Ben averaged 21 attempts per game to Joe's 26.75, hence Ben's higher completion percentage. He may have thrown less, but he completed more...and for a higher average (8.9 to Joe's 6.9). Despite throwing less, Ben averaged 187 yards per game to Joe's 185.7. Ben averaged 1.2 tds per game to Joe's .88. Ben averaged .79 picks per game to Joe's .75 (nearly identical). Ben sacked 2.1 times per game to Joe's 2 (nearly identical). And finally, Ben's QB rating is a whopping 17.8 points higher.

Pretty similar, but slight edge to Ben. Time will tell how Joe does from here...we already know what to expect of Ben "two rings in his first five seasons" Roethlisberger! :tt2

NKySteeler
07-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Rookie to rookie comparison, for those who may not have looked. Stats don't tell the whole story, but I think they're something to ponder at least.

Ben (14 games, 13 starts) - 196 comp; 295 att; 66.4% comp; 2,621 yards; 8.9 avg; 17 td; 11 int; 30 sacks; 98.1 rating

Joe (16 starts) - 257 comp; 428 att; 60.0% comp; 2,971 yards; 6.9 avg; 14 td; 12 int; 32 sacks; 80.3 rating

Some of the math (based on number of games) - Ben averaged only two completions per game less than Joe (14 completions per to 16 completions per). Ben averaged 21 attempts per game to Joe's 26.75, hence Ben's higher completion percentage. He may have thrown less, but he completed more...and for a higher average (8.9 to Joe's 6.9). Despite throwing less, Ben averaged 187 yards per game to Joe's 185.7. Ben averaged 1.2 tds per game to Joe's .88. Ben averaged .79 picks per game to Joe's .75 (nearly identical). Ben sacked 2.1 times per game to Joe's 2 (nearly identical). And finally, Ben's QB rating is a whopping 17.8 points higher.

Pretty similar, but slight edge to Ben. Time will tell how Joe does from here...we already know what to expect of Ben "two rings in his first five seasons" Roethlisberger! :tt2

Wow!... When I saw that you responded in this thread, I was bracing myself for a floodgate of venom about Flacco and such, based on your "feelings" towards that team..... I'm impressed!.... :lol:

stlrz d
07-16-2009, 07:23 PM

Wow!... When I saw that you responded in this thread, I was bracing myself for a floodgate of venom about Flacco and such, based on your "feelings" towards that team..... I'm impressed!.... :lol:

Nah, I actually think Flacco's gonna be decent. Not great like Ravens fans seem to think, but decent/good. He's got a good deep ball (accurate) and remains composed even when pressured. He also doesn't seem to be very egotistical...kind of an "awww shucks" kind of guy.

But I'm starting another thread on a Ravens related subject...stay tuned! :lol:

Iron Shiek
07-17-2009, 01:38 AM
[quote="stlrz d":3o6h27fg]Rookie to rookie comparison, for those who may not have looked. Stats don't tell the whole story, but I think they're something to ponder at least.

Nah, I actually think Flacco's gonna be decent. Not great like Ravens fans seem to think, but decent/good. He's got a good deep ball (accurate) and remains composed even when pressured. He also doesn't seem to be very egotistical...kind of an "awww shucks" kind of guy.
But I'm starting another thread on a Ravens related subject...stay tuned! :lol:[/quote:3o6h27fg]

You have to be when you are the offspring of frankestein/sloth/bert threesome (referencing the other thread).

But seriously, I have no opinion of the guy yet. He didn't show the same leadership that Ben showed glimpses of his rookie year. I'd like to give him another year, but unfortunately if he really lost Mason, and they have no plan to replace him, his growth could severely suffer. We'll see I guess.

NorthCoast
07-17-2009, 09:24 AM
agree with others.....Flacco will turn out to be a decent QB. I think he will keep the Ravens competitive in every game. If he gets the WR talent, I see him definitely moving that offense up a notch. Those ripping him, I don't know what you are looking at. He played pretty decent against the No. 1 defense (and that was with lame receivers...except for Mason).

Jooser
07-17-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm not going to rip Flaccid, but I have to point out that he does have a better O-line than ours and he also benefited from a much more effective running game than we had last year as well. When our line blocks well and our running game is in rhythm, BB is pretty near unstoppable. Flacco will continue to be decent, I agree. However, if Mason does retire as stated, he is going to have a much more difficult time this season. The only thing I can add to that is: Screw him and the Ravens! :tt2

:ratsuck :ratsuck

Steelgal
07-17-2009, 01:36 PM
I also think he'll be a decent quarterback, but not sure just how good yet. If I was a Raven's fan (I think I just threw up a little), I'd be thrilled with his potential as well. After having less-than-stellar quarterbacks like Boller for years, they finally found an upgrade. Having said that, I'd be shocked if they won 2 Superbowls in his first 5 years, like Ben has.

Jooser
07-17-2009, 03:03 PM
I also think he'll be a decent quarterback, but not sure just how good yet. If I was a Raven's fan (I think I just threw up a little), I'd be thrilled with his potential as well. After having less-than-stellar quarterbacks like Boller for years, they finally found an upgrade. Having said that, I'd be shocked if they won 2 Superbowls in his first 5 years, like Ben has.

I'll be shocked if they win one! :shock:

Oviedo
07-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Many of you are being generous however I will say it again: Joe Flacco '09=Derek Anderson '08.

If I'm wrong I'll admit it but I don't think I am.

RuthlessBurgher
07-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Many of you are being generous however I will say it again: Joe Flacco '09=Derek Anderson '08.

If I'm wrong I'll admit it but I don't think I am.

Will he then transfer from the NFL to the CFL like he did going from Division I Pitt to Division I-AA Delaware? (I refuse to use that "Bowl Subdivision" and "Championship Subdivision" vernacular).

RuthlessBurgher
07-22-2009, 07:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4349158

Updated: July 22, 2009, 6:53 PM ET
Harbaugh hopes for change of heart
Associated Press

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh is "optimistic and hopeful" that wide receiver Derrick Mason will come out of retirement and rejoin the team during training camp.

Mason surprised the Ravens on July 13 by abruptly ending his 12-year NFL career. Mason, 35, led Baltimore in catches and yards receiving last year, but said he was "ready to see what else life has to offer."

After speaking with Mason on the phone Tuesday night, Harbaugh maintained hope that Mason would have a change of heart soon after the start of training camp next week.

"I think it's real honorable what he's doing in the sense that it would be easy for a guy to just come in and go through the motions. Derrick does not want to go through the motions," Harbaugh said Wednesday. "He wants to make sure he's in the right frame of mind to compete at the level he's competed at his whole career, which is a warrior-type level.

"He's ready physically. He's in good shape and he's healthy. He just wants to decide if he's mentally ready," Harbaugh said. "It's really open right now. I'm optimistic and hopeful that he'll be there, but if he's not there, we'll be support and respect his decision either way."

"He was really open and up front," Harbaugh said of Mason. "It was two guys just trying to see what's down the road."

Upon announcing his retirement, Mason said he would decline interviews over the next two weeks.

Mason caught 80 passes for 1,037 yards and five touchdowns last season. He also had 12 catches for 190 yards and a touchdown in three playoff games. Without him, Baltimore's most accomplished wide receivers are Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams.

"From a coaching standpoint, I think we have a chance to be a really good team, and if Derrick Mason is a part of it, that makes us even stronger," Harbaugh said. "But if he's not, we're still going to be a really good team. It comes down to Derrick and where his mind is at. He's the only one that can decide that."

The Ravens will hold a tryout for several second-tier receivers Friday, but probably won't make a major move before they're sure Mason won't be back.

"Up until Derrick officially retires, then he's still a member of the Baltimore Ravens," general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "We're OK with what we have, but we're always trying to get better. If there was a player we available in May or June that we thought could help our football team, we would have gotten him at that point."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

fezziwig
07-22-2009, 10:14 PM
I'd have to go with Flacco having an Anderson season this year. Part of the reason he did as well because of the Ravens defense never really allowed his offense to get into a hole.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-23-2009, 02:10 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4349158

Updated: July 22, 2009, 6:53 PM ET
Harbaugh hopes for change of heart
Associated Press

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh is "optimistic and hopeful" that wide receiver Derrick Mason will come out of retirement and rejoin the team during training camp.

Mason surprised the Ravens on July 13 by abruptly ending his 12-year NFL career. Mason, 35, led Baltimore in catches and yards receiving last year, but said he was "ready to see what else life has to offer."

After speaking with Mason on the phone Tuesday night, Harbaugh maintained hope that Mason would have a change of heart soon after the start of training camp next week.

"I think it's real honorable what he's doing in the sense that it would be easy for a guy to just come in and go through the motions. Derrick does not want to go through the motions," Harbaugh said Wednesday. "He wants to make sure he's in the right frame of mind to compete at the level he's competed at his whole career, which is a warrior-type level.

"He's ready physically. He's in good shape and he's healthy. He just wants to decide if he's mentally ready," Harbaugh said. "It's really open right now. I'm optimistic and hopeful that he'll be there, but if he's not there, we'll be support and respect his decision either way."

"He was really open and up front," Harbaugh said of Mason. "It was two guys just trying to see what's down the road."

Upon announcing his retirement, Mason said he would decline interviews over the next two weeks.

Mason caught 80 passes for 1,037 yards and five touchdowns last season. He also had 12 catches for 190 yards and a touchdown in three playoff games. Without him, Baltimore's most accomplished wide receivers are Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams.

"From a coaching standpoint, I think we have a chance to be a really good team, and if Derrick Mason is a part of it, that makes us even stronger," Harbaugh said. "But if he's not, we're still going to be a really good team. It comes down to Derrick and where his mind is at. He's the only one that can decide that."

The Ravens will hold a tryout for several second-tier receivers Friday, but probably won't make a major move before they're sure Mason won't be back.

"Up until Derrick officially retires, then he's still a member of the Baltimore Ravens," general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "We're OK with what we have, but we're always trying to get better. If there was a player we available in May or June that we thought could help our football team, we would have gotten him at that point."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

I'd like to see Mason return to them at this point. You often hear players say that "when you begin to think about retirement then you are already there". If he does come back he will not be the same #1 type receiver that he already was. In the meantime he will be treated as such and stunt the development process of whoever else they are hoping to bring along.

Iron Shiek
07-23-2009, 08:22 AM
He just doesn't want to attend camp...he'll be back...and as you say...not the same wr he was before (at least for the first couple of weeks of the season.)

aggiebones
07-23-2009, 11:37 AM
I think Mason was Flacco's Hines Ward. He needs him for development purposes. I think Ben can now survive without Hines. Had Hines retired a few years ago, this team may have been in trouble the last couple years.

RuthlessBurgher
07-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Joe Horn?!?! Wow. Talk about slim pickins. The last time he was any good, I think Joe Flacco was still in high school.

:lol: :ratsuck

Is Joe Horn on Ravens radar?
Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome has spoken to the agent for wide receiver Joe Horn and told him that the team would contact him after Friday's tryouts.

Horn, 37, is a four-time Pro Bowl receiver who averaged 87.4 catches from 2000 to 2004. He made 27 receptions for 243 yards and one touchdown in 12 games in 2007 before sitting out 2008.

The Ravens have a connection with Horn. Quarterbacks coach Hue Jackson was the Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator in 2007, when Horn was a receiver there.

"The Ravens are one of the teams that would definitely interest Joe," said Ralph Vitolo, Horn's agent.

The Ravens are conducting tryouts on Friday with four wide receivers, a group that includes Drew Bennett and D.J. Hackett.

Posted by Jamison Hensley at 2:50 PM

Iron Shiek
07-24-2009, 01:50 AM
I don't anticipate any cell phones hidden in the goal posts any time soon for Mr. Horn either...

Joe Horn...have you heard of the Missile...you get to play him twice this year if you sign with the Rats:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0130/nfl_u_clark_300.jpg
http://img.fannation.com/upload/si_blog_post_images/wes-welker.jpg

Duck!